NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

800pxf1logosvg.png

Formula 1 2014 is almost here... and with it there are new car designs that are more ugly than ever...

mr.-bean-angry-220x130.jpg

Regulation changes

Technical regulations

The 2014 season will see the introduction of a new engine formula, with turbocharged engines returning to the sport for the first time since 1988. The new engines will be a 1.6 litre V6 format with an 8-speed semi automatic gearbox.[1] The rules dictate the use of a ninety-degree engine bank, with fixed crankshaft and mounting points for the chassis, while the engines will be limited to 15,000rpm. Individual engine units under the 2014 specifications must last for at least 4,000 km (2,500 mi) before being replaced, in comparison to the pre-2014 engines, which were required to last for just 2,000 km (1,200 mi).

The Kinetic Energy Recovery System (known from 2009 to 2013 as KERS, and renamed from 2014 as ERS-K) will be incorporated into the design of the engine and its usage increased; its function as a supplementary power source will be taken by the introduction of the heat-based Energy Recovery System (ERS). The ERS unit captures waste heat as it is dispelled from the exhaust turbocharger, using an electrical device known as a Heat Motor Generator Unit. This waste heat is stored as an electrical charge until it is utilised by a complementary system called the Kinetic Motor Generator Unit. This device is connected directly to the drive train to deliver the additional power in the most direct and efficient way. In combination with the ERS-K it will give drivers an additional 161 bhp (120 kW) for thirty-three seconds per lap, compared to the KERS units used prior to 2014, which gave drivers 80 bhp (60 kW) for six seconds per lap.

Teams will be permitted to use electronic braking devices to manage the braking of the rear wheels as the increased power output from the ERS-K units will make regulating the brake bias much harder than it had been previously.

The 2014 regulations require the use of lower noses than in previous years, in the interests of safety. The tip of the nose will have to be no more than 185mm above the ground, in comparison to the 550mm allowed in 2012.[82] These regulations were amended in June 2013 so as to completely outlaw the use of the "stepped noses" used in 2012 and 2013, thereby forcing teams to design a car with a genuinely lower nose rather than using the temporary solution.

The original rules—first published in August 2011—also called for a variety of bodywork changes aimed at cutting downforce, most notably through the use of narrower front wings, and a shallower angle to the main plane of rear wings. These additional changes were formally abandoned in December 2012, but the requirement that cars be built with a nose no more than 185mm above the ground was retained. The planned reduction in front wing width from 1,800mm to 1,650mm was subsequently reintroduced.

In order to promote fuel efficiency, fuel will be flow restricted to 100 kg/h above 10,500rpm; below 10,500rpm a formula for the maximum flow must be applied based on the rpm in use.

Drivers must be able to return to the pits under their own power after the chequered flag has fallen in a bid to stop drivers from pulling over in order to preserve the mandatory one-litre fuel sample required to pass post-race scruitineering.

The position of the exhaust outlet will change so that it is now angled upwards toward the rear wing instead of downwards to face the rear diffuser so as to make the practice of using exhaust blown diffusers—passing exhaust gasses over the rear diffuser to improve the car's downforce—extremely difficult to achieve.

The minimum weight of the cars will increase from 642 kg (1,415 lb) to 691 kg (1,523 lb) to account for the increased weight of the engine, energy recovery units, and 2014 specification of tyres.

The use of false camera mountings will be banned. Teams had previously exploited a loophole in the regulations that allowed them to add additional pieces of bodywork to the car in the place of camera mountings and take advantage of the aerodynamic benefits. From 2014, this loophole will be closed, with the regulations rewritten to only allow camera mountings to be used for cameras.

Calender - Live BBC in Green

Australian Grand Prix - 16 March

Malaysian Grand Prix - 30 March - BBC

Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain - 6 April

Chinese Grand Prix - 20 April

Spanish Grand Prix - 11 May - BBC

Monaco Grand Prix - 25 May

Canadian Grand Prix - 8 June - BBC

Austrian Grand Prix - 22 June

British Grand Prix - 6 July - BBC

German Grand Prix - 20 July

Hungarian Grand Prix - 27 July

Belgian Grand Prix - 24 August - BBC

Italian Grand Prix - 7 September - BBC

Singapore Grand Prix - 21 September

Japanese Grand Prix - 5 October - BBC

Russian Grand Prix - 12 October - BBC

United States Grand Prix - 2 November

Brazilian Grand Prix - 9 November

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - 23 November - BBC - DOUBLE POINTS CONFIRMED

Drivers and Teams

d11bel779.jpg

Caterham F1 Team - 9 Marcus Ericsson / 10 Kamui Kobayashi

Scuderia Ferrari - 7 Kimi Räikkönen / 14 Fernando Alonso

Sahara Force India F1 Team - 11 Sergio Pérez / 27 Nico Hülkenberg

Lotus F1 Team - 8 Romain Grosjean / 13 Pastor Maldonado

Marussia F1 Team - 4 Max Chilton / 17 Jules Bianchi

McLaren Mercedes - 20 Kevin Magnussen / 22 Jenson Button

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - 6 Nico Rosberg / 44 Lewis Hamilton

Infiniti Red Bull Racing - 1 Sebastian Vettel /3 Daniel Ricciardo

Sauber F1 Team - 21 Esteban Gutiérrez / 99 Adrian Sutil

Scuderia Toro Rosso - 25 Jean-Éric Vergne / 26 Daniil Kvyat

Williams F1 Team - 9 Felipe Massa / 77 Valtteri Bottas

Goodbye to Mark Webber & Paul Di Resta

tumblr_mclr7wPp9A1qf4c5io1_250.gif

RIP John Button

_72307967_john_button_getty.jpg

Best Wishes to Michael Schumacher Keep fighting sir!

Michael-Schumacher-001.jpg

"And it's Go Go Go..."

With everything that's going on this is definitly going to be one of F1's weird seasons. Can't wait to see how it shakes out, penis cars or no.

Been an F1 fan since Hill's 96 Championship season.

Looking forward to this season. Kobayashi being back (Though I doubt he'll do much in a Caterham) and a few interesting driver line-ups.

Now for a few predictions that'll probably all prove false:

1. Lotus will not be a top team this season.

Not just because they've lost Kimi but will be missing the first test. As well as losing loads of key people. Lotus will struggle.

2. Williams may surprise us.

I dunno why but I have a little feeling Williams might be stronger this season. It'd be nice to see Massa do well.

3. We'll have a different champion

I don't expect Vettel to win the title. Though I'm not sure who it'll be. Ah hell I'm gonna say Button just for giggles.

A couple of great videos :)

This one is a bit weird though :p Pastor just seems like an odd fit at Lotus.

Been an F1 fan since Hill's 96 Championship season.

Looking forward to this season. Kobayashi being back (Though I doubt he'll do much in a Caterham) and a few interesting driver line-ups.

Now for a few predictions that'll probably all prove false:

1. Lotus will not be a top team this season.

Not just because they've lost Kimi but will be missing the first test. As well as losing loads of key people. Lotus will struggle.

2. Williams may surprise us.

I dunno why but I have a little feeling Williams might be stronger this season. It'd be nice to see Massa do well.

3. We'll have a different champion

I don't expect Vettel to win the title. Though I'm not sure who it'll be. Ah hell I'm gonna say Button just for giggles.

Glad to see that we have another fan joining us on our yearly F1 thread :D

It's been confirmed that Martini will be the title sponsor for Williams this year after a shirt was accidentally posted and then removed on the team store with the car expected to be livered accordingly. It's going to be sexy.

Fan mock-up -

tumblr_n0wpkljRZF1qcpen9o1_1280.jpg

Also Sauber has a new female driver, American Simona De Silvestro who's gunning for a seat next year after five years Indycar experience including an Indy 500 win. Would love to see a competitive female driver in F1, the sooner the better.

Yeah that was good to read about De Silvestro, I'm really hoping it goes to plan and she gets plenty of experience in the run up to 2015.

I'm not sure I particularly like the Martini livery, I think it can look a bit hit and miss...

52fcf62da1a39-Untitled-Martini-s.jpg

I think it's the largely white cars I don't like.

It would be strange to see Williams without any blue on it, I'd like them to keep some...

williams-martini-racing.jpg

I wonder if we'll see it in Bahrain?

After the final testing results I'm quite excited for the new season: Not only are Red Bull struggling and Lewis is likely to have a great car this year, Williams actually look potentially good enough to score multiple race wins. How great would it be if it came down to a repeat of the 2008 championship between Lewis and Massa in a finally resurgent Williams? Perhaps not likely but now not a distant dream either. :D

Yep I'm excited to see Williams doing well, I'd love to see some Ferrari-Williams battles again :)

Although have to say I can see Bottas outperforming Massa, ad maybe Rosberg given Hamilton a real run for his money, perhaps even beating him this season, so I'm not sure we'll get that 2008 repeat.

I really hope Ferrari can get that car of theirs dialled in properly so they can put the power down correctly.

Would love to see a number of drivers and teams really fighting for it this season, Ferrari, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren... those drivers battling each race would be fantastic. Come on Kimi! :awesome:

And frankly after how Vettel made me feel about F1 last season, that for the first time since around 2000 my excitement for watching Practice sessions, and even following a race closely was dissapearing, I hope he's no where near it tbh.

Yep I'm excited to see Williams doing well, I'd love to see some Ferrari-Williams battles again :)

Although have to say I can see Bottas outperforming Massa, ad maybe Rosberg given Hamilton a real run for his money, perhaps even beating him this season, so I'm not sure we'll get that 2008 repeat.

I really hope Ferrari can get that car of theirs dialled in properly so they can put the power down correctly.

Would love to see a number of drivers and teams really fighting for it this season, Ferrari, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren... those drivers battling each race would be fantastic. Come on Kimi! :awesome:

And frankly after how Vettel made me feel about F1 last season, that for the first time since around 2000 my excitement for watching Practice sessions, and even following a race closely was dissapearing, I hope he's no where near it tbh.

Despite Red Bull's struggles, I'm not convinced that they are that far behind. I'm still wary that come Spain they'll bring a revised spec car and it will immediately be on the pace. That said, I would love to see a Lewis vs Rosberg battle for the championship, with Mclaren and Williams also fighting it out.

After the final testing results I'm quite excited for the new season: Not only are Red Bull struggling and Lewis is likely to have a great car this year, Williams actually look potentially good enough to score multiple race wins. How great would it be if it came down to a repeat of the 2008 championship between Lewis and Massa in a finally resurgent Williams? Perhaps not likely but now not a distant dream either. :D

I'm really excited by Williams tbh and I would love for them to fight for wins. I'm hugely impressed by Bottas they seem to have a very reliable car...could come in handy during the first four races.

How do people see the team mate battles working out? I predict:

-Vettel beating Ricciardo (however it being relatively close)

-Lewis narrowly beating Rosberg

-Alonso finishing ahead of Kimi (Sorry Retro!)

-K-Mag beating Jenson!

-Hulkenburg to beat Perez.

-Bottas beating Massa fairly easily.

Haven't thought about the rest but I'm fairly confident on those.

It's going to be a good season, here's hoping that these Red Bull issues cross into the season and we get a new champion. I don't want to see another Vettel run-away season like last year.

Despite Red Bull's struggles, I'm not convinced that they are that far behind. I'm still wary that come Spain they'll bring a revised spec car and it will immediately be on the pace. That said, I would love to see a Lewis vs Rosberg battle for the championship, with Mclaren and Williams also fighting it out.[/Quote]Oh I agree, I think once the power train is sorted they'll be right on it. I definately think Seb will win races this season, I'd just personally prefer not to see him.

How do people see the team mate battles working out? I predict:

-Vettel beating Ricciardo (however it being relatively close)

-Lewis narrowly beating Rosberg

-Alonso finishing ahead of Kimi (Sorry Retro!)

-K-Mag beating Jenson!

-Hulkenburg to beat Perez.

-Bottas beating Massa fairly easily.

Haven't thought about the rest but I'm fairly confident on those.

To be honest I'd be hugely surprised if Alonso didn't beat Kimi this year, given this will be his 5th year with the team, his relationship with LdM, and well heck if Massa can somehow convince Ferrari he's a better bet than Kimi...!

That said I still have to back the Iceman, and providing everything stays fair I think he's got every chance of outscoring Nando.

Vettel > Ricciardo (albeit Ric outqualifying Seb on a couple of occasions)

Hamilton > Rosberg (very very close)

Kimi > Alonso

Grosjean > Maldonado (Maldonado having a meltdown at some point)

Mag > Jenson (Button will be shown up by his young teammate for a second year)

Hulk > Perez

Sutil > Gut

JEV > Kvyat

Bottas > Massa

Bianchi > Chilton (as if there's an alternative)

Kob > Ericsson (tbh I have no idea who Marcus Ericsson is)

Edited by Retro_Link

1655910_639745502727292_1830440408_n.jpg

BiClukSIUAA1bz4.jpg:large

The official Williams Martini Racing livery. Absolutely gorgeous.

It's cool, but I'm not all that keen on it myself as I don't really like all the white, reminds me of the Brawn livery too.

Williams is looking very pretty.

As for Team Mate Wars:

Vettel > Ricciardo

Hard to believe Ricciardo will beat Seb. As much as I'd like to see it.

Hamilton > Rosberg

Too close to call in reality. I reckon Lewis will come out on top but not without some drama.

Kimi > Alonso

I can see it going either way. My own bias hopes Kimi comes out on top.

Grosjean > Maldonado

Maldonado will break down and blame everyone around him.

Button > Magnussen

Button will win this season but only just. Then fade away next season.

Hulk > Perez

Perez might surprise me but I think it'll be Hulk on top.

Sutil > Gut

I forgot Gut existed till just now.

JEV > Kvyat

JEV to dominate.

Massa > Bottas

I see Massa getting his confidence back and really flourishing this season. Bottas will challenge him though.

Bianchi > Chilton

Maxamillion will get curb stomped again.

Kob > Ericsson

Kobayashi being back is my favourite part of this season.

Williams is looking very pretty.

As for Team Mate Wars:

Vettel > Ricciardo

Hard to believe Ricciardo will beat Seb. As much as I'd like to see it.

Hamilton > Rosberg

Too close to call in reality. I reckon Lewis will come out on top but not without some drama.

Kimi > Alonso

I can see it going either way. My own bias hopes Kimi comes out on top.

Grosjean > Maldonado

Maldonado will break down and blame everyone around him.

Button > Magnussen

Button will win this season but only just. Then fade away next season.

Hulk > Perez

Perez might surprise me but I think it'll be Hulk on top.

Sutil > Gut

I forgot Gut existed till just now.

JEV > Kvyat

JEV to dominate.

Massa > Bottas

I see Massa getting his confidence back and really flourishing this season. Bottas will challenge him though.

Bianchi > Chilton

Maxamillion will get curb stomped again.

Kob > Ericsson

Kobayashi being back is my favourite part of this season.

Ah man, now there are two huge Kimi fans posting on this thread. I'm getting outnumbered here....(GO ALONSO!)

That Williams is BEAUTIFUL. Reminds me of the 2003 car actually and the front nose actually looks good :kiss:

The Williams looks amazing! Definitely the best looking car of this season!

Now, my verdict team mate wars..

Vettel > Ricciardo

Obvious one really. As annoying as Vettel can be, he has 4 consecutive world championship wins under his belt. It'll be difficult for Ricciardo to compete.

Hamilton > Rosberg

I'd say they're pretty close. Considering Hamilton has performed well in practice so far, I'd say he's got the slight advantage.

Kimi = Alonso

I honestly have no idea how this'll turn out, as they're both superb drivers, and arguably the strongest team in that sense. I am biased towards Kimi, but things could go either way...

Grosjean > Maldonado

Maldonado isn't excellent, and Grosjean went from strength to strength in the latter half of last season, so it's obvious here really.

Button > Magnussen

I think Button does have a good chance this season, not by a great margin though.

Perez > Hulkenberg

I think it's a close one, but Perez has the slight edge over Hulkenberg

Sutil > Gut

I feel Sutil is definitely the stronger driver of the two tbh.

JEV/Kvyat

Really not sure here, going to have to see how they do this season.

Bottas > Massa

Bottas' excellent performance has just come out of nowhere! I see big things for him this season, though Massa could easily bring it back.

Bianchi/Chilton

I think this will be close...

Kob > Ericsson

Gald to see Kobyashi back in this season. :grin:

Overall, it seems pretty unpredictable this season, anything can happen. Exciting times! Although, it terms of winning the championship, I say Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton have the best chance.

AWESOME qualifying session! Very surprised to see Ricciardo up there but I loved the fact that Seb was out in Q2. Disappointed with Kimi; Alonso is much more confident with the car atm.

What do people make of the new cars then? I'm slightly disappointed by how quiet the cars are BUT I love how much they were sliding about, even in the higher gears. Much better to watch than the V8's imo :)

Some great performances in that Qualifying session especially from the rookies, Magnussun 4th and Kvyat 7th. Great to see Mercedes doing so well, though Vettel and Button were unlucky with the yellow's, think Raikonnen might have crashed out on purpose maybe? Conspiracy theorists may say yes though it didn't keep him in a top 10 position.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

What an incredible result. Great for Lewis and, frankly, I'm shocked less by Daniel's quality then I am by how much Seb was struggling. Kevin M's P4 is the headline for me today though. I'll put hard money that name appearing on a WDC trophy one day. It's really interesting to see how they're all wrestling with the cars out of the corners with all the new torque they have - actually makes me really excited for the next F1 game to come out so I can see what it's like.

Personally I really like how we can hear the crowd reaction & the tyre squeals during a lock up thanks to the quieter engines. I really don't feel we're losing anything - it's less machine noise but it makes room for everything else.