NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

External hard drive might be dead, any way I can recover the data?

EDIT: Never mind, it's powered up again now, weird. Time to frantically copy stuff over before it dies again.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have (or had) a 2TB Segate external hard drive: http://www.ebuyer.com/384253-seagate-2tb-expansion-desktop-drive-stbv2000200

Anyway, it's only been just over a year since I've had it, and it appears to have died. No light comes on and it doesn't appear under "my computer". I've attempted to unplug it and plug it back in, rebooting my system to no avail, it's a lost cause.

Is there any way of rescuing the data off it? Or have I lost years worth of stuff? (Some of which I'll probably never get back.)

Edited by CoolFunkMan

If the drive is not spinning, I recommend the "frisbee" method of recovery. Take your hard drive in your hand, hold onto it and flick your wrist as if throwing a frisbee (don't ACTUALLY throw it, please! Just make the motion). I had an external drive fail on me and doing this loosened the platter enough to get it going again. Still works almost a year later. hope this helps :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember that one next time a hard drive dies. :) Also, don't worry, I won't throw it... xD

Sign in to follow this