NEurope
jayseven

What steam games am I supposed to buy?

Decided to evolve from the stone ages to the iron age! Got Steam. Loving Papers, Please - but struggling to decide what games to get. Mostly I'm laptop-bound, so I'm not sure I can play most games.

My specs, according to this sticker here, are;

- Intel core 2 solo processor

SU3500 (1.4GHz, 800MHz FSB)

- Intel GMA 4500MHD

Up to 1244 MB

- 3GB DDR3 Memory

... Does this mean I can or cannot play games that require 2GHz games, for example?

I've basically consigned myself to indue, basic games, but I'm clueless. Any help?

EDIT: I already own VVVVVV, Braid and Machinarium, and System Shock 2.

Ok! Wishlisted. I'm trying to be sensible and not buy games that I'm not playing... and I just literally bought a lucasarts bundle because it contained the first computer game I remember (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis).

I will play Ys without knowing anything about it! Be proud.

Origins has a demo if you want to try it out first, although it plays a little different from the rest of the games.

The Oath in Felghana tends to be the game people like the most though.

I really should have said this in my previous post instead of trying to be clever. Oh well.

Games from my games list that I'd heartily recommend:

Audiosurf - Kind of like a rhythm game meets F-Zero. Works off of your own MP3 collection.

Bastion - Superb game all round.

Dear Esther - Short, but very good game. The sort of game you'll play through once in one sitting, but be glad that you did.

Divekick - Silly, but surprisingly in depth fighting game.

Garry's Mod - Sandbox silliness. Best with a group.

Gone Home - Haven't played it yet, but topped a lot of people's GOTY 2013 list.

Kerbal Space Program - Brilliant space mission simulator, with added silliness.

Rogue Legacy - Roguelike platformer. When one character dies, his/her ancestor takes over.

None of those games are particularly graphics heavy (apart from maybe Gone Home and Dear Esther) so you should be safe.

Thrashed Bastion on XBLA - one of my favourite games evar. Garry's mod.. not sure it'll work on my laptop. Audioserf is something I used to love watching my friends play -- thing is I have no MP3s!! Kerbal Space Program is a game I've seen/heard a lot about and is going to go on my wishlist. Dead Esther is precisely the kind of game I wanted to hear about and, provided my laptop can handle it, I will definitely take that idea up! Good list dude (as in, the other suggestions will get a look too)

For the sort of games you may want to play may I suggest a Good Old Games account as well?

Also, if only play one multiplayer shooter in your entire life, make it Team Fortress 2.

May I also suggest The Longest Journey or Kentucky Route Zero for something more sedate.

Hotline Miami for that cocaine-fueled bender in the middle of your week.

Braid - you should've played that already. If you haven't...well, you suck. :p

Hotline Miami - same as Braid. Edit: Jajajaja, @gaggle64

Risk of Rain - rogue-like.

Spelunky - rogue-like.

Gone Home - no words, just play it.

Torchlight 2 - if you like Diablo, you'll love Torchlight.

Volgarr the Viking - the Demon's Souls of platformers.

FTL - Faster than Light - rogue-like, strategy game.

Thrashed Bastion on XBLA - one of my favourite games evar. Garry's mod.. not sure it'll work on my laptop. Audioserf is something I used to love watching my friends play -- thing is I have no MP3s!! Kerbal Space Program is a game I've seen/heard a lot about and is going to go on my wishlist. Dead Esther is precisely the kind of game I wanted to hear about and, provided my laptop can handle it, I will definitely take that idea up! Good list dude (as in, the other suggestions will get a look too)

Dear Esther ran fine on my laptop, so it can't be a massively demanding game. My laptop's not terrible, but it is getting on a bit.

Steamworld Dig is fantastic. A metroid inspired game which has you balancing risk and reward...VERY addictive and a fantastic game.

Hotline Miami as well....it's just...mind blowing.

Thank you to everyone for suggestions - I think so far I've had a lot of great suggestions that I'll wishlist fiirst then purchase once I'm comfortable my laptop will run them.

@Ike I WILL check them out at some point. I'm going to be careful and not buy too many games now and be pissed off when a sale comes round and the games I bought but didn't play are now 85% off... Yeah I want that to NOT happen!

@gaggle64 GOG is a great shout - never considered it... will investigate heavily! I'll make a note of those games. Hotline Miami's come across my radar before so I'll check that out.

@drahkon good list there - FTL's on my wishlist - which is basically my shopping list. Will get a game on there once i'm done with the game I'm playing. Met up with some programmer friends last weekend and they kept talking about it (they were trying to come up with a co-op miultiplayer version of the game!) so I'm bound to plug into this soon! I can't remember why but Sperlunky was offputting initially. Will double check why my brain produced that outcome. I still haven't played too much of dark souls (or demon souls!) so I'm not sure I can endure that kind of platformer punishment!

@Goafer good to hear :) I'm a complete computer noob, and I've been hedging bets with my laptop's power. If I can play Dear Esther then I will be very pleased. I'm hoping that this sunday I'll have a chance to investigate -- I haven't checked but I think Stanley Parable was similar specs to Dear Esther (prob wrong) if that's the case then I want to check Stanley first!

@Goron_3 cheers for the recs - hotline miami simply has to happen now there's been so many poeple mentioning it. I think I saw steamworld dig earlier today but just wasn't sure about it. Metroidvania type games are the ones where I always doubt them... yet after 3 or 4 hours I'm in love.... it's about getting to that love point first.

The thing I recommend the most is to wait for the Steam Sales to buy most of your stuff. Literally everything gets cheaper (the next one is during the summer so try to hold off on new purchases until then. Or at least limit yourself to the occasional sale, like "midweek madness")

In the "small game" department I recommend Thomas Was Alone and To the Moon (both of them small, short, but very enjoyable). Also, not sure if your PC can run it fluidly (mine had hiccups), but I found Mark of the Ninja to be superb (though requiring slightly more dedication than others that have been suggested).

I also recommend checking out Gog.com, especially for your retro game needs. They usually give you plenty of cool extras (so, more bang for your buck). The sales are less predictable, but they are as frequent as Steam's occasional discounts. Plus, everything is priced in US dollars, so the games are actually cheaper than they look.

I always intended to get Mark of the Ninja on XBLA but never got round to it -- kudos to the GOG recommendations - I knew of steam but never eally knew of GOG. I was walking home after the pub this evening and my colleague and I were discussing old gmes, and I said that I'd LOVE to play Theme Hospital again... lo and behold these games... are NOT available on steam, but thanks to you guys I see they're available on GOG. Not only that but GOG is telling me "hey dude! Dungeon keeper I and II is dirt cheap too!" ... I never played 2 so... yeah...I think I'm going to be having a LOT of fun with GOG. Thanks guys!

*watches money drain away*

Speaking of sales:

The Humble Store sometimes has some really nice deals.

Also: Starbound - Terraria-esque.

Edited by drahkon

I always intended to get Mark of the Ninja on XBLA but never got round to it -- kudos to the GOG recommendations - I knew of steam but never eally knew of GOG. I was walking home after the pub this evening and my colleague and I were discussing old gmes, and I said that I'd LOVE to play Theme Hospital again... lo and behold these games... are NOT available on steam, but thanks to you guys I see they're available on GOG. Not only that but GOG is telling me "hey dude! Dungeon keeper I and II is dirt cheap too!" ... I never played 2 so... yeah...I think I'm going to be having a LOT of fun with GOG. Thanks guys!

*watches money drain away*

One more thing: With Steam, you're always dependent on Steam to play your games (I mean, you can play them on offline mode, but you can't lend/give games to friends, for example). With GOG, once you buy it, it's always in your library, and you can download it for yourself whenever, wherever.

The reason I'm saying this is because, a while ago, there was a bit of a fiasco. GOG offered Fallout 1+2+Tactics for free for a day (the "debut" day, when they were available for the first time on the store). However, Bethesda made a fuss over it (not over them being free, but over them being available in the first place), and the games were taken off the store.

However, I took the opportunity, and they're in my library now. Even though they were taken off the store, I can still download them and play them (and lend/give them, etc.) as if they were any other game. I'm not sure how Steam would've handled things, but GOG takes pride in letting you own the stuff you get, so that's guaranteed.

Ah I see. Just need to be smart about when and where to buy the games.

GOG is great because there's a much larger proportion of games that I can run - and loaaads of memories of games that everyone was playing when I was a kid but my computer was never good enough... deus ex, thief, kingpin to name a few.

Also MAD THANKS to @Cube as he just sent me a FTL code for steam. I was very close to buying it last night but managed to retain some common sense...

Oh yeah, I remember that I have quite a few Steam codes left. Let me make a list and get back to you :)

FTL is awesome, love that game.

Check out the demo for Gunpoint, that's been on my wishlist for a long time.

I haven't purchased yet because I've got a backlog but everyone should absolutely try the Kerbal Space Program demo which has already given me hours of fun despite it's seriously limited nature.

Edited by gaggle64

FTL's learning curve is pretty good. Getting to grips with it now - going from world 1 to 3 to now having 7 as my PB. Unlocked a 2nd ship so will give that a go...

Laptop is straining after 'long' sessions... and coinciding with my landlord giving me a PC table and chair it looks more likely that I'll be trying to save for a PC... even though it'll be some years yet.

Gonna give both FTL a run through, then go back to Papers, Please and see if I can kick more ass now I have a moise and a desk and stuff.

Thanks to the advise and help (and codes) from everyone!

Definitely going to tuck into some of what GoGs got to offer (though I've got a backlog which includes Civ V, so it could be a while). I'm amazed the place isn't more celebrated. Much of what they have is DRM free and they have a money back guarantee if you can't get a game working on your machine.

Origins has a demo if you want to try it out first, although it plays a little different from the rest of the games.

The Oath in Felghana tends to be the game people like the most though.

Oath in Felghana is what I grew up with.....sort of. It was just Wanderers from Ys and a side scroller on the SNES. But I loved it.

One more thing: With Steam, you're always dependent on Steam to play your games (I mean, you can play them on offline mode, but you can't lend/give games to friends, for example). With GOG, once you buy it, it's always in your library, and you can download it for yourself whenever, wherever.

The reason I'm saying this is because, a while ago, there was a bit of a fiasco. GOG offered Fallout 1+2+Tactics for free for a day (the "debut" day, when they were available for the first time on the store). However, Bethesda made a fuss over it (not over them being free, but over them being available in the first place), and the games were taken off the store.

However, I took the opportunity, and they're in my library now. Even though they were taken off the store, I can still download them and play them (and lend/give them, etc.) as if they were any other game. I'm not sure how Steam would've handled things, but GOG takes pride in letting you own the stuff you get, so that's guaranteed.

When the hell did that happen? Last I knew they were on the store for a long time... :/ They're on Steam still at the very least.

FTL is awesome, love that game.

Check out the demo for Gunpoint, that's been on my wishlist for a long time.

Dude just get it...

Binding of Isaac

Rouge Legacy

Risk of Rain (Tough as nails. I recommend playing with friends)

Cave Story+ (if you haven't gotten a different version. Not worth multiple purchases)

BIT.TRIP games

Escape Goat (a very odd puzzle game with platforming about a semi magical goat and mouse.)

Gunpoint(!!!!!)(Fantasticly fun and simple!)

Lone Survivor (A good survival horror 16-bit style game)

Thomas Was Alone (Grand little platformer.)

To The Moon (A fun cute little RPG)

Hotline Miami

Fallout 2

Fallout

Fallout Tactics (if you still want more. But it's different)

Edit: Some GoG specific recommendations.

Planescape Torment. A fantastic book to play.

Sacrifice. 3rd person action RTS

Giants Citizen Kabuto. Similar to Sacrifice, less difficult more humor.

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver (Also on Steam, in fact the whole series is)

Edited by Nolan

When the hell did that happen? Last I knew they were on the store for a long time... :/ They're on Steam still at the very least.

It was back during the Christmas sale they had. I might be misremembering some details (I thought that was the first day they were put in the store, but I guess I was wrong), but they definitely had a falling out (lol) with Bethesda which caused them to take them off the store for good.

Dude just get it...

Are you suggesting I buy a Steam game at full price?

That doesn't even make sense.