NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2014

I don't know much about it (ie how it fluctuates during the day) but yes, weight changes during the day. That's why they recommend you weigh yourself at the same time each... time you do.

Why do you keep weighing yourself, Yesteryear? Despite every one of us saying that you shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a week, and even then don't trust the result?

Ooooon another note, my hip flexor's doing better, though it doesn't like squatting as much as I do. I can do reverse lunges, though, so I do that instead and deadlifting is no problem.

However, the Crossfit Open Games are starting at the end of February and I would actually like to try them out now that I have a crossfit Box to train in. I feel I could do 'ok' in the Opens but since my hip is stopping me from doing Toes-2-bars (effectively at least, I can do some strict) and deep squatting, I believe it would be a bit silly of me to attend.

I haven't been to the gym since Friday and I'm already feeling like I've lost a bit of my fitness. Hate missing a Monday work out and I've now done that twice in a row. Definitely getting a big weights session in tonight, swim tomorrow morning and weights tomorrow night to catch up.

500ml is about 0.5kg if I recall, which is 2lbs.

500ml of water is 0.5kg. 1kg is 2.2lbs. So 0.5kg is 1.1lbs.

Finally I'm able to do sports again. Injuries have healed up : peace:

So today I've started the stronglift program (albeit with some alterations). Easy start, my mate explained the exercises to me. I guess in 3-4 weeks, when I have the routine down, progress will begin to show :)

Have to figure out how I can include running in my schedule.

Also: My diet has to change, or rather I have to tone down the amount I eat :laughing:

I haven't lifted in about two weeks and have eaten like shit because I'm in Belgium with Ine.

That feel when you look in the mirror naked and still think you look pretty decent. :D

I'm excited to get back onto the grind. Still cutting, which seems like the slowest thing eveeer. It's depressing how easy it is to put on weight but slow to take it off. At least to do it properly.

I found the workout I want to do (recommended by a mate who has been working out for 6 years and has been a sports student for 2 years, so I trust him).

Day one

squats 5x5

bench press 5x5

pull-ups (currently I can't manage more than 2...my goal is to be able to do 5x5)

Day two

Deadlift 5x5

overhead press 5x5

barbell row 5x5

One or two days in between. Throw in the occasional run :)

I have done each cycle once and now I have sore muscles. I only used an empty barbell :laughing:

Bought the book Becoming a supple leopard (also recommended by my mate). Seems to be a good guide for mobility.

I found the workout I want to do (recommended by a mate who has been working out for 6 years and has been a sports student for 2 years, so I trust him).

Day one

squats 5x5

bench press 5x5

pull-ups (currently I can't manage more than 2...my goal is to be able to do 5x5)

Day two

Deadlift 5x5

overhead press 5x5

barbell row 5x5

One or two days in between. Throw in the occasional run :)

I have done each cycle once and now I have sore muscles. I only used an empty barbell :laughing:

Bought the book Becoming a supple leopard (also recommended by my mate). Seems to be a good guide for mobility.

Looks very similar to Starting Strength which is a great work out for beginners. I built a lot of strength with it.

Each time you go you need to increase the weight you are lifting. And throw some weights on there for squats and deadlifts right away, you can do it already. Do a set of 5 for each with the bar, then add 5kg each side and do another 5. Keep doing this until you can't do it. That's your new starting point.

Each time you go you need to increase the weight you are lifting. And throw some weights on there for squats and deadlifts right away, you can do it already.

I could do it, but I'd like to get the technique right first. There will be no progress in the first two weeks, but I want to do it right from the start, so when the weights increase a lot I don't have to worry about wrong movements and possible fuck ups.

Especially since my back is a major problem. Getting it in the right position for each exercise is something I want to be able to do routinely.

I've not posted on here for a long time and for that, I apologise. However, I have news: I'm 8lb lighter than I was two weeks ago! I started Insanity and going to the gym more and eating healthily and when I started, I was 17st 11lb. Now I'm 17st 3lb. All I have to do is make sure it doesn't go back on me and it's all good!

The only thing I can't stand is that I can't see a difference and yet everyone else can. My dad, who is brutally honest and will tell me if I've gained or lost, has even told me I look different in a good way but I'm just sad I can't see it. I'm not going to start comfort-eating because I'm upset anymore though, that's over! Tomorrow, I'm hopefully going to do Insanity and then go to a new gym class!

You look at yourself in the mirror every single day, your dad doesn't look at you the same way that you do. It's always easier for other people to notice a difference than it is yourself.

Try taking weekly photos of yourself and then compare, when you have something to compare against it makes it easier.

You look at yourself in the mirror every single day, your dad doesn't look at you the same way that you do. It's always easier for other people to notice a difference than it is yourself.

Try taking weekly photos of yourself and then compare, when you have something to compare against it makes it easier.

Yeah, that's what I've done. I'm going to do it every month. I took a picture of myself when I started Insanity and now I'm on the third week of it. Next week, I'll have a look and see how I'm doing.

So I think I'm finally going to start the cut. Was going to a few weeks ago, but then I seemed to start gaining weight again so I lent into it, but think I'm plateauing around 66kg now. Looking for a calorific intake of ~2300. That sound about right?

Also, any recommendations for back/leg exercises using a free-weights heavy gym. My last one had lots of machines so I would do deadlifts/squats and then machines, but now there's not so much.

I busted my leg about eight months ago over the summer, and didn't go to the gym for that entire period. Have just done two full gym cycles, having gone a total of eight days over the last two weeks and fuck, I'm so out of shape. My bench press has gone down from ten reps on 80kg to eight reps on 60kg. It's going to take at least a month before I'm not sore after every workout.

Also, any recommendations for back/leg exercises using a free-weights heavy gym. My last one had lots of machines so I would do deadlifts/squats and then machines, but now there's not so much.

There's loads of options for assistance exercises (assuming you're still squatting and deadlifting).

Legs:

Front Squats

Romanian Deadlifts

Reverse Lunges

Bulgarian Split Squats

Goblet Squats

Sep Ups

Back:

Bent Over Rows

DB One Arm Rows

Pull Ups/Chin Ups

Batwings (isometric hold )

Farmer's Walks

For legs, I'd pick the Romanian Deadlifts for the posterior chain and one or two of the others to include the quads, including one of the single leg exercises might be a good addition if you're already squatting.

For the back either of the rows, and pullups/chinups are probably plenty.

Single DB Rows are more lower back freindly if that's a concern. Dan John's Batwings are more of a posture fix, good if you do lots of pressing and/or have rounded shoulders.

Like the deadlift there are other exercises that will work the back and legs together to a large degree such a the olmypic style lifts but they can be a bit technical and taxing to use as assistance exercises.

Edited by pratty

Lost 36 pounds since New Year's Day, my weight loss has dropped to about 2-3 pounds a week now. Drinking lots and lots of water through the day has helped since a mini stall a few weeks back.

I hate double unders. But I'm gradually getting better at them. Yesterday I managed 7 in a row and today I managed to do 5, then skip 3, then 5 DU etc. without breaking the rythm. That is nice.

However, it seems that I should wear t-shirts with long sleeves when practicing. My arms are seriously

Whipped.jpg

Apart from that, I believe that I can start squatting again next week - though light weight. My hip flexor seems to do much better.

I feel like I'm plateauing with exercise and I need a boost. I'm increasing what I'm doing slowly, but feels like it isn't going anywhere lately. Any suggestions.

I feel like I'm plateauing with exercise and I need a boost. I'm increasing what I'm doing slowly, but feels like it isn't going anywhere lately. Any suggestions.

The standard response to plateauing your lifts is to eat more, though that doesn't always fit into aeveryone's goals.

One thing you could do is begin new assitance exercises and enjoy the newb gains from them, which might help your main exercises.

So for example say you're stalling on bench press. Perhaps you've been doing a routine where you bench every other workout along with squats etc (like Starting Strenght or Stronglifts). You could just have a bench day (and a squat day etc) once a week, and aswell as bench do additional tricep and/or shoulder work afterwards to improve you're pressing ability.

Or you could alternate bench press with something similar but different, incline or overhead presses or dips, maybe with dumbells instead of barbells. That way you get more rest between bench workouts but maybe strengthen the same muscle group in a slightly different way. That way while you grind away at the bench press for slower gains, you might be experience consistant gains in the alternate exercise to keep you motivated.

Or alternate with an entirely new type of workout. Maybe you do your basic push/pull/legs with weights one wokout (eg squat/bench/row), then do all bodyweight exercises the next, or weight carries (waiter walks, farmer walks, rack walks etc), and make gains on those new exercises.

Or you could simply change what you're looking to increase for a bit. So for example if you've been adding weight, maybe try to increase your reps for while instead and "own the weight", before eventually increasing it.

Edited by pratty

I've been doing my press ups and sit ups for about 2 months now. I feel better, my chest and my stomach are harder and I have slightly more shape, though mainly just my arms, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

I'm still doing the minimum of 30 of each every morning and night but man, the sit ups get a bit easier but the press ups, I swear they get harder each time. I don't know what it is man but I'd have thought by this point it would start to get a little easier. Not to mention that I click and crack whenever I move.

Maybe my body is just so decrepit and useless that I'm too late to save myself :p I think maybe I should start weight lifting as well. Where would I buy them from? I'm guessing not online because parcels go by weight :p

Here's a great Push Up Workout for ya

In the vid he says do 15 of each type in a round. I started at just 10 of each and I don't do the last one (Aligator Crawl cause I don't have enough space). He also says do 3 rounds, when I first tried I did just the one round.

Now when ever I do it I do 15 of each push up type, (still minus the Aligator Crawl), and I take about 20-30seconds breather between each type, and do 2 rounds so end up doing 150 push ups...bout once maybe twice a week sometimes

Thanks a lot for that! Will definitely do it in the way that he does, I was thinking of changing things up lately anyway, though I might skip the hopper because I've always bad dodgy wrists and think that'd be a bit too much pressure on them!

Will let you know how I get on! Hopefully I can become a true aligator