NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2014

That site actually does seem useful. I've already seen some useful things. The prepared salad I've been using has more calories than two sausages, bacon and a fried egg (presumably due to the ranch sauce and crutons it contains). Coincidentally, ASDA delivered a coleslaw based one as a replacement last night, which is just as filling but has a quarter of the calories.

Also, the ginger ale that I buy from ASDA which I really like the taste of is 4 calories per 1 litre bottle with nothing else and it mega cheap. I think I need to replace Dr Pepper with it as my main drink.

That site actually does seem useful. I've already seen some useful things. The prepared salad I've been using has more calories than two sausages, bacon and a fried egg (presumably due to the ranch sauce and crutons it contains). Coincidentally, ASDA delivered a coleslaw based one as a replacement last night, which is just as filling but has a quarter of the calories.

Also, the ginger ale that I buy from ASDA which I really like the taste of is 4 calories per 1 litre bottle with nothing else and it mega cheap. I think I need to replace Dr Pepper with it as my main drink.

Fizzy drinks are most people's downfall. Prepared salads/sandwiches throw people as well. They see 'salad' and automatically healthy but pretty much everything like that is filled with calories.

The site is pure genius! I've lost 4lb this week! I logged everything I've eaten and cut it down quite a bit. It's also pretty cool to add exercises and stuff. I just don't really get the calorie deficit stuff.

So unfit after christmas, thought I was gonna be sick on the mat at Judo tonight. :laughing:

The site is pure genius! I've lost 4lb this week! I logged everything I've eaten and cut it down quite a bit. It's also pretty cool to add exercises and stuff. I just don't really get the calorie deficit stuff.

Yeah it's great. Only thing that is tough is when you eat out (which I seem to do quite a lot) and you have to estimate calories. I'm pretty good at it now but it can take a while to get used to.

Any runners can add me/join Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/2541691

Just before Christmas I cracked out a 20:20 5k run. Next two months I plan to lose a few pounds and then go sub 20. THE DREAM.

But the diet is already taking its toll on me - I'm tired and grumpy most of the time. Yay.

I liked Mokong's photo thing so thought I'd have one of my own.

Pics from the last three Christmases:

Last year I lost weight between January and March, and went from about 12st2lbs to 10st10lbs (then maintained!). Hope you can tell.

1 pound of lard = 6 seconds off my 5k time.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

How can I add friends to MyFitnessPal? I have the app on my phone, but it only lets me add friends through Facebook or my contacts. No clue how it works to add someone. =P

late to the party....

You count the friggin bar...!!!

Like Charlie said, its 20kg, whether its the bar or not.... there is no logic in not counting the weight of the bar...!!

I also train with bars of different weight (both mens and womens oly - 20kg and 15kg respectively) so it would make no sense to not count the weight

Think I might take the plunge and get myself a smart phone. If anything, for tracking my diet and making sure that I'm eating the right stuff. I feel that I'm almost becoming a bit stagnated on the cut. Hmm.

I think I over stretched yesterday before squatting. My hips didn't want to do it. Reading up on it, opinion seems to be divided over whether or not you should stretch before lifting. I normally just do lighter versions of the exercise before lifting, but some say to stretch and others say completely different things. Hmm.

Also, I love Stiff Legged Deadlifts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I started wii fit on New Year's Day and have been gradually loosing weight , eating less than 1500 and doing at least half hour exercise a day and wii fit yoga 4 times a week .

Weighed myself on Saturday last ,

Had a little rest on Sunday but is till managed to fit in wii fit routine

I had. 2000 calorie day and a roast dinner . Still healthy food tho .

Went for a 10 mile cycles this morning and weighed myself and I have gained 6 pounds since Saturday

?

I understand that weight can change the odd couple of pounds due to the time of day and water Intake

But surely having a day off would not have made me 6 pounds fatter

It's really a blow and I feel like I've wasted all my effort and sacrifice .

I have now only lost 5 pounds since New Year's Day which is very poor for the amount of effort I put in.

Edited by yesteryeargames

Sounds like you've got a big poo brewing.

Or ... you've put some muscle on as well as losing fat, so your weight has stayed relatively constant.

Is it actually possible to gain that much fat tho ?in such a short space of time ?,

I think I will stick to a weekly weigh in from now on at a set time .

Is it actually possible to gain that much fat tho ?in such a short space of time ?,

I think I will stick to a weekly weigh in from now on at a set time .

How do you know it was all fat? Weight yourself under the same conditions every time. What I do is on a Saturday morning go up to the gym having been to the toilet and not had any breakfast and use that as my 'main' weigh-in. I then weigh myself other days but expect that to fluctuate.

As Odwin said, there are a lot of changes day to day. Also muscle weighs more than fat does.

Maybe it was a combination of the salty big roast dinner , anyway I will try and follow a similar routine at a set time for next weeks weigh in .

I do however notice my body shape is more toned and I feel so much fitter so u guess I need to be more patient for the weight to drop .

5 pounds in 12 days isn't a complete disaster I guess

First day back at work and someone commented that my arms were noticeably better (yes, it was so warm I was wearing a polo shirt all day).

giphy.gif

Why weigh yourself? Use the mirror and stop thinking about pounds.

---

My hip flexor hurts. Before Christmas, I had to stop for a week before going on vacation so in total I had three weeks rest. I didn't have problems when I returned but I could feel that I can't go as deep in my squats at the moment - so I don't. Yesterdya I had quite a lot of kettlebell swings and toes-2-bar and today my hip flexor has started aching a bit again. I believe I've overused it which sucks. So I decided to avoid KB swings for the next month or so and avoid doing anything that is too straining on the hips to see if this works. Also, I've found some strengthening exercises on the net that I'll do.

How can I add friends to MyFitnessPal? I have the app on my phone, but it only lets me add friends through Facebook or my contacts. No clue how it works to add someone. =P

There is a bit where you can add "by email". You can just put the MyFitnessPal username in there.

Why weigh yourself? Use the mirror and stop thinking about pounds.

---

My hip flexor hurts. Before Christmas, I had to stop for a week before going on vacation so in total I had three weeks rest. I didn't have problems when I returned but I could feel that I can't go as deep in my squats at the moment - so I don't. Yesterdya I had quite a lot of kettlebell swings and toes-2-bar and today my hip flexor has started aching a bit again. I believe I've overused it which sucks. So I decided to avoid KB swings for the next month or so and avoid doing anything that is too straining on the hips to see if this works. Also, I've found some strengthening exercises on the net that I'll do.

I feel your pain. Squatted about a week or so ago and felt fine. Tried squatting a few days ago and the hip flexor wouldn't have it. Feelsbadman.

On the plus side, it hasn't stopped me doing anything else. Only squatting. Deadlifting/stiff legged deadlifts are all good. It's only squatting that it doesn't like. Even then, I think I may have caught it on a bad day. Sucks, though.

Went for a 5.6 mile jog today. was hoping for a 44 minute time (8:00/mile). Instead did it in 47 minutes (8:26/mile).

Still it's better than my last run (4.5 miles at 8:44/mile). Although not as good as my half marathon pace (8:11/mile), and much worse than my hoped pace for the next half marathon in April (7:37/mile).

Oh well, one step at a time

Yesterday I managed to do 5 sets of 6 reps on deadlifts at 140kg. I'm chuffed. Earlier last year my one max rep was 160 kg before I hurt my knee, now I feel back on it.

Also managed to bulk up to 88kg from about 76kg. One more month to go and then I'll start cutting.

So jealous of your deadlifting. Since my back injury last year I can't seem to go above 90kg without getting warning signals from back telling me to ease off. Might have to leave deads for a while and strengthen my back/core in other ways, and try and come back to it. :sad:

Did high rep squats on Saturday for the first time in ages, did a set of 50 with just the 20kg bar, only just recovered from the DOMS.

Luckily, I can still deadlift despite my bad hip flexor. Weigthed squats are no-go, at least above 20-30 kg but the hip strengthening exercises I've been doing are really doing wonders. I feel the improvements every day.

Also, managed to do three double unders in a row the other day! I feel I'm getting the rythm little by little.

Edited by MindFreak

Just did a 6.5 mile run. Was hoping to finish in 52 minutes. The pace felt really good, but as I got back in the timer just ticked onto 0:54:00 (the timer was started and left in the house, then my housemate locked the door and tied the key to his shoelace before we set off, so I'll take 20 seconds off; still not what I wanted though).

Still good exercise, and my pace is dropping significantly with every run (8:16 this time), despite adding a mile on every time. I always do better when I'm running with my housemate. He's fitter than me, but I push myself to keep up. It's harder to push myself as hard when I'm solo.

According to mapmyrun that's 1091 calories burned. I'm not sure I've even consumed that much today. Might have to go and grab a bite.

Total week's exercise

Tues: 5.5mile run

Wed: 5-a-side football

Thurs: 4 games of squash

Fri: 6.5 mile run

Sat: hardcore sexy times 2 mile walk in the morning, then 4 mile walk into town (and back; 8 mile round trip) ~ 10 miles total walk

Edited by MoogleViper

According to the machine at work my bodyfat is down to 17.2% from 17.4 last week. Not a great improvement but considering I've eaten a lot of junk it's actually decent. I've put on a bit of muscle over the past month too as my weight has gone up.

21 sign ins to the the gym in January which I think is a great effort. I started off so well going swimming in the morning but that's dropped recently. Need to get back on that.

I think my cut has kind of started itself. Since going back to work my weight has remained steady. Need to keep an eye on calorie intake (as cycling takes a lot off and I'm worried I'll be too far below).