NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2014

Looking great, Mokong! You can notice a real difference around the waist and your pecs are more defined now too. Hard to tell because of your facial hair but have you lost some weight around your face too?

Good work! Looks like a solid weight loss and muscle gain!

I've been in South India for two weeks and took a break from training the week before that so I went to the gym today to do some nice and easy weight lifting - about 70 % of 1-2 RM in back squats, shoulder press, and deadlift. I did 6 sets of 8 reps in each of the three. That totally blew me away, I even got OMS (DOMS without delay…) in my inner thighs! But I decided that since I've gone down in most 1RM from April to now, I want to build it up again and will be doing heavy weights at least two times a week along with 3-4 times of crossfit to maintain my cardio.

I went down to about 100 kg back squats, down from 127 kg, because I refined my technique - I've apparently been having a bit stripper arse when going up and to fix that I had to lower the weight. With deadlift, 130 kg is now my 1RM (140-ish in April) and my clean has gone down from 87.5 to 72 again.

However, arms and shoulders are getting better so that's good.

---

You always count the bar. I've never met anyone in fitness who'd not count the weight on the bar - you're lifting it as well as pratty said.

Cheers guys

@Charile, don't think I've lost much round the face, prolly minimal.... I'll try remember this in the next 4 months and take a picture shaved that time haha.

Also, damned for new pages, hope nobody minds if I repost my pic :D

Here's a little before and after comparision I just did.

Took the first pic end of August before I started getting back into some exercising and the 2nd pic today.

Obvs ignore the massive lighting difference caused by difference between a sunny summer day and a gloomy winter :heh:

My original idea was I was gonna take a pic daily or weekly and maybe make it into a video (if there was good improvement) but after I took the "before" pic I totally forgot and never followed through, was just cleaning up my camera's SD card and found the first pic so thought why not take a pic today to compare.

comparison1_zpsf7b00baa.jpg

(My beard grew too between shots :heh:)

I think there's a decent amount of improvement :D Belly is a lot smaller and can see a bit of the upper ab defining. Think Chest and shoulders are improved too.

I feel like my arms are better though I don't think it's showing much in this pic, but I have been told by some friends recently that they think my forearms are improved and a bit toned.

Not a massive improvement, prolly could have done better over the time period but don't want to get too caught up in it or be changing too much (mainly diet).

Not changed anything in my diet really, only change is 5 or 6 days a week I eat fruit for lunch (just one bannana or 2 oranges with a protein shake), still allow myself a burger for lunch on the once or twice a week I am in the city :heh:

Exercise is just at home, don't have time (or money haha) for a Gym and just doing 20-35mins of a workout 4 days a week. So I could be doing more but I'm happy to take it slow and happy with just reducing that belly haha. Now lets see if I can get it down that bit more over the next few months :)

Not actually lost weight either, for whatever weight in fat I've lost off the belly must have come back on in muscle, was 70kg in Aug and still 70kg today :)

Two questions:

1) With exercises that use the barbell (bench press, deadlift etc) do you guys include the weight of the barbell? Just never been sure and googling around earlier you seem to get the dudebros saying no and everyone else saying yes.

2) Anyone here use personal trainers? As the membership at my new (old) gym will be crazy cheap (£16 if I pay monthly, £11 if I pay for 6 months upfront) I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure. I think it could be useful (in that someone else will be monitoring me) but is twice a month sufficient? Or maybe even once a month?

1. You should include the weight of the bar. It...doesn't really make sense to not include it. You're lifting weights, the bar has a substantial amount of weight to it, so you should include the bar. There's no real logic in not including it.

2. If you can afford a personal trainer, look into it. If anything, it'll be someone you can go to physically once or twice a month and they can analyse the progress you've made and tell you where you need to improve. It'll keep you on your toes and maybe it'll help you freshen things up once in a while. If you can afford it and it's not a heavy burden on your wallet or time, I'd consider it.

1. You should include the weight of the bar. It...doesn't really make sense to not include it. You're lifting weights, the bar has a substantial amount of weight to it, so you should include the bar. There's no real logic in not including it.

2. If you can afford a personal trainer, look into it. If anything, it'll be someone you can go to physically once or twice a month and they can analyse the progress you've made and tell you where you need to improve. It'll keep you on your toes and maybe it'll help you freshen things up once in a while. If you can afford it and it's not a heavy burden on your wallet or time, I'd consider it.

I always personally did, but just apparently some don't (arguing the bar is so evenly distributed that you're "basically not lifting it"...or something like that). Then I thought about how when I'm 'benching' with free weights I can do about 40, and if I'm doing a bench press I can do about 35/55 (not/including the bar) so...I was confused.

Its £35 a session, which is why I'm thinking one or two a month. I think it might be a worthwhile investment.

apparently some don't (arguing the bar is so evenly distributed that you're "basically not lifting it"...or something like that).

Sounds like classic "bro-science" that.

I must admit sometimes the bar feels heavier when I hold it vertically than it does horizontally, but it doesn't really alter it's weight.

Everybody really should join MyFitnessPal if you haven't already. It's actually really cool! I'm happy @Blade has changed my mind in using it.

For all of you who didn't see my other post, I'm Dazzillionaire so when you do sign up, add me!

Everybody really should join MyFitnessPal if you haven't already. It's actually really cool! I'm happy @Blade has changed my mind in using it.

For all of you who didn't see my other post, I'm Dazzillionaire so when you do sign up, add me!

You need to make it so your diary is not private. I cant see othrwise what you have been eating :)

I dont understand why people count the bar. I know that you have to loft it but so does everyone else! So for me it's discounted for training purposes.

You need to make it so your diary is not private. I cant see othrwise what you have been eating :)

I dont understand why people count the bar. I know that you have to loft it but so does everyone else! So for me it's discounted for training purposes.

If you can only manage the bar with no plates on it does that mean you're lifting 0kg?

If you can only manage the bar with no plates on it does that mean you're lifting 0kg?

No you are lifting the bar.

But for example in my training journal im not going to keep putting 10kg + bar x 4 reps am I? It's just going to be 10kg as it's a given that i have to lift the bar.

Ive never heard anyone said "oh yeah I chest press 100kg and dont forget the bar"

Everyone has to lift the bar. It's nothing.

No you are lifting the bar.

But for example in my training journal im not going to keep putting 10kg + bar x 4 reps am I? It's just going to be 10kg as it's a given that i have to lift the bar.

Ive never heard anyone said "oh yeah I chest press 100kg and dont forget the bar"

Everyone has to lift the bar. It's nothing.

The bar is 20kg though. If you're just lifting the bar you're lifting 20kg.

I see your point. But I can't see why it doesn't make sense to just count the total weight you are lifting. Then you could also just write "30 kg x 4 reps" in your training journal - surely that doesn't make any difference?

Also, there are different sizes for bars - some are 10 kg, some are 15, while the standard bar is 20 kg.

Furthermore, in the official competitions the bar is always counted.

As I said it doesn't really matter if you count the bar or not, but I think counting the bar just makes more sense all round.

Hypothetically if we didn't use use bars and just lifted stacks of plates, we would count another 10-20kg plate if we added it to the stack, so why not count another 10-20kg in the shape of a bar?

Also it keeps things more consistant if we use other things like dumbbells. Lifting 40kg with dumbbells is quite a different weight from 'lifting 40kg' on a 10-20kg bar.

Also it keeps things more consistant if we use other things like dumbbells. Lifting 40kg with dumbbells is quite a different weight from 'lifting 40kg' on a 10-20kg bar.

Thiiiiis.

It HAS to be counted. If the bar only weighed a kilo, then I guess it's not a massive deal. But...20KGs? Count that shit up.

You want to know what you're actually lifting. When you're benching or deadlifting, you want to know it right down to the exact kilo. There's a massive difference between lifting 100kg and 80kg.

I include the bar weight. It just makes sense to me, as it is accurate what your actually lifting.

Did dumbbell rows for the first time in ages today. Quite enjoyed it, although I do think that overall I get more of a pump when doing barbell rows.

I'm enjoying being back in the routine. Let's see how long I can keep this up when school starts. Think this term is going to be a tough one.

In terms of healthy eating, where's the best place for quick and easy recipes? And are there certain ways to cook meat (mainly chicken and minced beef) that is healthier than other methods?

Also, @Animal, does the MyFitnessPal thing allow for uploading photos of your food? It just seems like the best way to "save" a meal.

In terms of healthy eating, where's the best place for quick and easy recipes? And are there certain ways to cook meat (mainly chicken and minced beef) that is healthier than other methods?

Also, @Animal, does the MyFitnessPal thing allow for uploading photos of your food? It just seems like the best way to "save" a meal.

I don't think it does but it's better to log it anyway because who's to know if you have a normal or a low-fat meal? Like Spaghetti Bolognese for instance, some people have WeightWatchers and others don't (like myself).

Also, it takes 5 seconds to search it and once you do and add it, it's stored in there forever so if you do have it again, all you have to do is tick it.

Also, MyFitnessPal does have a board dedicated to healthy recipes as well.

So I'm looking to get back into doing running and currently sorting out my gym membership so that I can do just that, at least to start out with treadmill work and what not.

Never been good at long distance running, much more of a short distance runner but when I was going out for runs everyday a long time ago, I was getting much better and being able to run longer distances before I needed to stop and take a breather.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but as it is related to fitness I'm sticking it here just now. Anyway, I was hoping for some recommendations for decent headphones for running. Buds have never worked for me with exercise unless they hook round the ear. And over ears are a no go cause I don't want to constantly be readjusting.

So yeah, if anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

I think that frying meat is quite unhealthy (but I personally think it tastes good fried) as it adds a fair bit of oil to the meat.

I love steamed salmon but steamed chicken doesn't seem as good (I might steam it too long). Grilled chicken works really well and comes out with a good taste. I use a George Foreman grill for this.

However; I would just go with whatever you think is best right now. A dash of oil isn't going to make you unhealthy if you're eating a healthy meal.

I signed onto MyFitnessPal today for the first time in a while - charliedouglas123 - and looking to get using it again. Need to change my goals as it suggests I eat only 1300 calories a day which is just not going to happen.

I went to the gym this morning too, loved it. Going to try to go most mornings now. Swam for 25 minutes and then got ready for work there which worked really well. Definitely the way forward as I now have a free evening or can go and do some weights.

I only use a bit of oil with chicken. I have no sticking problems with mince meat so I don't use any.

I signed up (username: Cube1701). I have no idea about goals so I just guessed (half a kilo a week). It's suggesting 1,670 calories a day at the moment with no exercise.

What to people do about walking? Should I just put in what my Wii Fit Meter tells me I've used?

Edit: I've noticed daily activity in includes, so I presume I should take some off the Wii Fit Meter.

So I'm looking to get back into doing running and currently sorting out my gym membership so that I can do just that, at least to start out with treadmill work and what not.

Never been good at long distance running, much more of a short distance runner but when I was going out for runs everyday a long time ago, I was getting much better and being able to run longer distances before I needed to stop and take a breather.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but as it is related to fitness I'm sticking it here just now. Anyway, I was hoping for some recommendations for decent headphones for running. Buds have never worked for me with exercise unless they hook round the ear. And over ears are a no go cause I don't want to constantly be readjusting.

So yeah, if anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

There's a website called sport pursuit, I got 130 reduced to 47 isport headphones. They're great. In ear and a bit that curls round inside of ear.

This is basically them from a quick Google

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSport-Strive-Headphones-Control/dp/B00AAHTQ30

Fully recommend the site for lots of deals on different sportswear for everybody in this thread.

I only use a bit of oil with chicken. I have no sticking problems with mince meat so I don't use any.

I signed up (username: Cube1701). I have no idea about goals so I just guessed (half a kilo a week). It's suggesting 1,670 calories a day at the moment with no exercise.

What to people do about walking? Should I just put in what my Wii Fit Meter tells me I've used?

Edit: I've noticed daily activity in includes, so I presume I should take some off the Wii Fit Meter.

You can make your own exercise too if it's not on there. Wii Dancing isn't on there so I made one myself and included it. I'll add you now.

Anyone recommend a good vegetarian protein bar ?

I really wanted to get the phd diet whey bars but they have gelatine.

I am taking protein shake, but I would love some of the intake in bar form if possible