NEurope
Diageo

Taboo Topics

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but in this part are you saying that complaints can be invalidated or devalued based on someone somewhere else having it worse? Because I can't stand when people do that. We otherwise wouldn't really be able to complain about anything, really. Someone else always has it worse.

Apologies if that's not one of the points you were making.

Not at all. I mean that certain words like "racism" and "sexism" are thrown around so much these days that their meaning has been totally watered down. If you don't agree with feminists, you're a "sexist". If you don't buy everything in culture / religion X, you're a "racist". NO, that's not how it works, plus the labels themselves have been twisted to mean whatever the sayer wants them to mean. In other words, they're just a shaming tactic to shut down any opposing views or criticism...which also derails the discussion from real problems that do exist. Not a fan of such tactics...

Yeah, calling a cultural practice (a different ideology) 'outrageous' and basically 'wrong' - is the problem here.

You're deeming an act right or wrong simply based on the fact that you don't come from a culture or family that practices the act. Which is biased, and doesn't bring credit to your statement - though of course you are entitled to your opinion.

But you feel your opinion must be proclaimed instead of being kept to yourself or within your sphere of influence, family etc.

I'm very pro freedom of speech but its the ignorance that can be spewed from this freedom that gets annoying. Everyone has an opinion - But why does everyone seemingly feel the need to yank their views down peoples throats with subjective statements?

No, that is precisely what he isn't doing; he's deeming an act right or wrong independently of culture. And even if that wasn't the case, the entire point of freedom of speech is that he doesn't need to keep his opinion to himself.

You're deeming an act right or wrong simply based on the fact that you don't come from a culture or family that practices the act. Which is biased, and doesn't bring credit to your statement - though of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Surely that goes against your previous views?

There has to be a universally "right" and "wrong".

Okay so I'm just going to throw this out there and I mean no offence to this but I seriously want to know...

When the hell did it become okay to call people "Nigger"?

I mean, lately, all I've been hearing is white people calling each other that word. It's bad enough black people do it to each other but now white people got to do it too? Like I don't mind it if they were quoting something or if there was some reasoning as to why the word would be thrown around but today, I heard 12 year old kids say it and there was a black man standing behind them, looking miffed. Luckily he walked away but I was like "Woah, since when?!". This white boy said to his white mate: "Oi, when's my nigger going to get here?".

It's not just that time though, there's been loads of times. As I've said in the past, personally it doesn't fully bother me at all if it's not meant maliciously but there are obviously boundaries and saying that in public is definitely one of them. It's like me saying "When's my honkie getting here?" about a black friend, it's just not right. I probably hear the word a few times a week now and I was just wondering when it became the norm (well, not the norm but used more frequently) to use the word.

What do you guys think of it?