NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Ian Watkins Given 35 Years

Why, brah?

35 years is loooong. That's longer than my entire life and then some. To me, that's mind boogling. He's only 36, so that's near enough his entire life, too. Locked up. I can't agree that it's lenient. It terrifies the shit out of me.

He sees it as "mega lolz", he has abused numerate children, he convinced parents to abuse their own children, he attempted to rape a baby.

I'd prefer him dead. Just have rid of him, he shouldn't ever be let on the street again in my eyes, he doesn't deserve to be rehabilitated in my eyes, he's a drain on the prison system and is better off exterminated from this world. His crimes are just too much for me.

In my view of course, but I respect the law and that he is being punished according to it.

I believe he was born that way. People don't actively choose to be sexually attracted to what they like, it's automatic. I find it unlikely that a paedophile would choose to be attracted to children. I feel pity for them, rather than hate.

Yes you can't choose your sexuality (for the purpos of this point we're assuming that paedophilia is a sexuality); but you can choose whether to act upon it.

Attracted or not, he should know that raping children is wrong. Hell, I'm attracted to women, but that doesn't give me justification to rape them.

How does one go about raping a baby anyway?

That was my first thought as well.

Steps star Ian H Watkins gets court apology over photo error

I'd want more than just an apology.

_71847425_watkins1_464pa.jpg

Former Steps member Ian 'H' Watkins has received a public apology after his photo was used on a website reporting on the Ian Watkins abuse case.

E! Entertainment Television apologised for using a picture of the pop star to illustrate a story about Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins on E! Online.

The US company's solicitor expressed regret for the "distress and damage" the photo's publication had caused.

Ian Watkins was sentenced to 35 years this week for 13 child sex offences.

The rock singer, 36, from Pontypridd, was jailed for 29 years and will spend a further six years on licence.

A judge at the High Court in London heard that 'H' had already been "receiving abuse" from people who confused him with his namesake before the error was made .

As well as having the same name as the Lostprophets singer, the judge was told, both men are of similar age and originally come from Wales.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Steps singer said: "In Court this morning E! have publically apologised to me and a statement has been read in court to make the position clear.

"This was not something that I did lightly but it was important to me that a public statement was made so that there is no confusion going forward.

"I am really pleased that it has been resolved so quickly so that me and my family can try and move on from what has been an extremely distressing time."

Ian 'H' Watkins had a string of hits while part of the chart-topping five-piece Steps, among them Tragedy, Better Best Forgotten and 5,6,7,8.

Since leaving the group he has been seen on stage in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat and on TV in the 2007 series of Celebrity Big Brother.

Why, brah?

35 years is loooong. That's longer than my entire life and then some. To me, that's mind boogling. He's only 36, so that's near enough his entire life, too. Locked up. I can't agree that it's lenient. It terrifies the shit out of me.

Im not going to get involved too much in this as my personal views conflict with my professional view.

I just want to stay that he is not normal. He is not normal as a normal person would be frightened to death of the prospect of being imprisoned. This guy couldnt give two shits. Even he knew he would get a substantial custodial sentence if he was caught. This did not deter him. I think it is an ineffective sentence but is the best available in the UK legal system.

Wait, what? There are two Welsh singers of similar age and name, and the wrong one got his photo in the papers?

Man, what a brutal coincidence.

So, reading through the thread and the discussion that stemmed from Ramar's point, I realised I actually need to revise my own earlier post.

I disagree with people who degenerate into quick calls of extreme punishment, usually death - but thinking about it the problem is that it isn't because I think it's extreme, it's because similar to a few other people - I think death is actually a bit too easy. I don't think it's enough of a punishment. Ofc, this is in this case particularly, outside of it I also generally disagree with the death penalty existing as I don't think it really works. I feel like it's correct that people should be punished within the extent of the law, though.

I want to ask a big hypothetical though - for those suggesting he should be put to death; would you be willing to do it? To carry out that action yourself? Let's presume you'll be able to do so 100% without failure - would you? Would you be willing to do it and then face the punishment cast upon you by the current legal system? And if not then what if you could do it with impunity? Without any legal punishment, would you do it then?

I think death is actually a bit too easy. I don't think it's enough of a punishment.

This is where things get even worse. People get hooked up on how to make the offender suffer, which is not justice, it's vengeance.

He's off the streets and a danger to no one for 35 years (assuming he serves the full sentence). After that, he'll be watched like a hawk (like all criminals of this nature). He's got 35 years of being told where to go, what to do, when to eat, when to sleep etc. It's nowhere near as easy as people think. 35 years (longer than pretty much everyone here's entire life) is a hell of a long time to live like a slave. This diary single handedly changed my mind on prison and is well worth a read.

I want to ask a big hypothetical though - for those suggesting he should be put to death; would you be willing to do it? To carry out that action yourself? Let's presume you'll be able to do so 100% without failure - would you? Would you be willing to do it and then face the punishment cast upon you by the current legal system? And if not then what if you could do it with impunity? Without any legal punishment, would you do it then?

It's the people that say they'd enjoy killing/torturing a criminal that I don't agree with. As far as I'm concerned they're either full of shit or just as bad as the criminals they're so opposed to. Criminal or not, the person has still enjoyed taking a life and, as far as I'm concerned, are not fit to live in normal society.

I understand the desire for vengeance, I really do, but it solves nothing and our legal system, despite being flawed, is a much better option.

H has now been swapped with Ian in another blunder:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/449929/Lawyers-for-Steps-star-Ian-H-Watkins-take-aim-at-Google-bosses-over-paedophile-image-mix

Lawyers for singer IAN 'H' WATKINS are demanding Google bosses take immediate action to stop photos of the former STEPS star from appearing in search engine results for articles related to his shamed rock namesake, IAN WATKINS.

Honestly to be mixed up twice? Ouch.

To be fair, it is the same mixup; the Google news aggregator took the photo from the website that made the original mistake.

The last paragraph seems to suggest that the public apology had caused the spiders to link the names/photos. In fairness the first was a mistake, but reports on the apology are bound to include H's image and obviously name. There's a computer logic there at least, but I'm sure Google will sort it.

@Ashley just read the foreward and it seems fascinating, but I don't want to read all the entries right now. Is there an entry per day, or..?

@Ashley just read the foreward and it seems fascinating, but I don't want to read all the entries right now. Is there an entry per day, or..?

I assume that was aimed at the prison diary I posted. The first entry sums up most of my point, although the whole thing is worth a read IIRC (It's been a while since I read it).

These quotes in particular is what made me realise how hellish prison would be:

The guard, a nice guy in his late 50s, explained that he had to handcuff me to himself, and down I went. Immediately down, through a number of locked, barred gates, to a booking in counter. All my possessions, and my belt, taken. My height measured. All my details recorded. Then four hours in a windowless cell with nothing but a wooden bench and contemplation for company. 4.30pm on a sunny Friday afternoon, leaving a happy looking Carlisle, but for me, in the back of a paddywagon.

Watching people leaving school and work with a smile on their faces, looking forward to a weekend of choices. I was heading to HMP Durham. You can say what you like about prison, and how easy it is, how great you think the facilities are, how prison is like a holiday camp. It's none of those things. It's a demeaning, soul-less place full of sad and sometimes evil people who have lives none of us would ever want or even imagine. All the freedoms you take for granted are removed in the name of control and security to the point that you're constantly reminded how little value society as a whole places on your miserable little existence.

The cells in the prison wagon are about half the size of a plane toilet, you sit on a hard moulded plastic seat, and the cell wall in front of you has a cut-out for your knees. At 6’ I just manage to fit in without struggling, God knows what it’s like if you’re pretty tall? There’s a window to look out of, you’re on the other side of those blacked out windows that press photographers try to snap through when someone (in)famous gets a ride from Her Majesty. It’s a warm, sunny late spring Friday afternoon and as we head out through the Carlisle traffic, the everyday people are leaving their everyday schools and jobs, planning their everyday, legal Friday nights. In freedom. It’s hard not to begrudge all those happy looking people, very hard. I won’t be planning my Friday nights, or any other night for a while. For now my nights, and my days, will be planned for me.

That diary has "scared me straight" more than any ad campaign ever could. Especially since it came from a guy who got sent down for an "enthusiastic drive" (which virtually every driver has done at some point) gone wrong.

Edited by Goafer

Whoever wrote that diary should try spending time in Bangkwang Prison, when I got put in there I was literally thinking I could be there for life and saw what it could be like, prison over here would be a breeze in comparison. Haha

Still, I believe Watkins is getting off light, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm barbaric or anything of the like for saying so.

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm barbaric or anything of the like for saying so.

Yeah we heard you the first three times..

After hearing experiences from various people and reading that diary a UK prison is my idea of hell. Not necessarily because of the conditions, as Kav has told us there are countries out there that are far worse but the fact that I would lose my liberty. Losing my liberty would mean losing my job, house and possibly my family and friends which would be devastating.

Prison is feared by many people because of the loss of liberty and that they have something to lose. I think after my experience of being in practise in housing, family, police and criminal law I think the worst thing that could happen to you in the UK is for you to have no money, family or friends and be street homeless with not a single person giving a shit about you. Now that is tragic and I come across it every single day of my working life.

Compared to that and the fact its currently freezing cold outside having a roof over your head, getting clothed, getting fed, having someone to talk to, playing pool, reading a book, watching TV and having some structure doesnt sound too hellish in comparison.

I assume that was aimed at the prison diary I posted. The first entry sums up most of my point, although the whole thing is worth a read IIRC (It's been a while since I read it).

Could be either of us as I posted it before you did ;)

But you answered it better than I can bother to.

Could be either of us as I posted it before you did ;)

But you answered it better than I can bother to.

Oops, didn't realise you'd posted one too. Although I think we've posted different diaries. Both seem to have the same point though.

Whoever wrote that diary should try spending time in Bangkwang Prison, when I got put in there I was literally thinking I could be there for life and saw what it could be like, prison over here would be a breeze in comparison. Haha

Still, I believe Watkins is getting off light, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm barbaric or anything of the like for saying so.

No doubt that prison you mention would be worse, but like the diary shows regular prison over here would also be hell. Often it's not what facilities may be available to you but the removal of your liberties, the lack of contact with family and friends as well as the types of people who surround you that would make prison a nightmare. Not to mention how soul destroying knowing that you have years left would be.

30+ years of living in hell or a quick death. I know which is the worst punishment.

Edited by Sheikah

No doubt that prison you mention would be worse, but like the diary shows regular prison over here would also be hell. Often it's not what facilities may be available to you but the removal of your liberties, the lack of contact with family and friends as well as the types of people who surround you that would make prison a nightmare. Not to mention how soul destroying knowing that you have years left would be.

30+ years of living in hell or a quick death. I know which is the worst punishment.

In my view, death. I'd much rather be locked up for life than actually die. Easily!

Just a quick question to people too... has anyone here actually been in jail? Now I'm not talking being put in a police cell for being drunk or something, I'm actually talking about prison. Has anyone experienced prison life here?

I have, sure it wasn't for long but we didn't know that would be the case, I came to terms with the possibility that I'd not be getting out for years. It's horrible, it really is, but believe me it's better than death!

Edited by Kav

In my view, death. I'd much rather be locked up for life than actually die. Easily!

Really? Every thing you've been able to do in life thus far, every thing you like doing, every thing you want to do, gone in an instant but you still have to live and you think that's better than dying? You're all ready dead at that point, why on earth wouldn't you want the quick way out?

Really? Every thing you've been able to do in life thus far, every thing you like doing, every thing you want to do, gone in an instant but you still have to live and you think that's better than dying? You're all ready dead at that point, why on earth wouldn't you want the quick way out?

That's the thing. It's not everything, there are still things you can do, yes you are deprived of a hell of a lot, but you're alive. Trust me, being in prison and being alive is preferable to dying. I don't see how anyone would think otherwise, are you that weak-willed that you couldn't cope? Would you commit suicide before that? That's just crazy talk!

... What did you go to prison for?

It was in Thailand, under suspicion of drug smuggling. Bangkwang Prison, that's hell... but damn, I'd rather be alive in there than be dead!

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

That's the thing. It's not everything, there are still things you can do, yes you are deprived of a hell of a lot, but you're alive. Trust me, being in prison and being alive is preferable to dying. I don't see how anyone would think otherwise, are you that weak-willed that you couldn't cope? Would you commit suicide before that? That's just crazy talk!

lol @ 'trust me'. Like your opinion is 'the correct one' and we all just don't realise, rather than there being different points of view.

So you're saying that anyone who thinks a quick death is better than staying alive for the rest of your life in prison with next to no liberties and surrounded by the dregs of society is just weak willed? Not because most people would probably see that as a life totally not worth living (as well as one deprived of basic human rights)?

Well given that I'm the one that has experienced prison life, I've a better idea of it than you. If someone chooses death over it then yes, in my mind, they're weak-willed. That's my opinion, just as you say I shouldn't quash yours then you shouldn't quash mine right?

It would entirely depend.

If I was given a few years, no I wouldn't choose death.

If I was given 35 years? I'd certainly consider it. To put that into perspective I'd be 58 by the time that rolled around. That's a long time, things would have drastically changed, could I consider 35 years in a box without seeing family/friends? Perhaps not.

I've no idea unless I was faced with the choice today. I think to assume everyone would choose the same choice is crazy.