NEurope
Ashley

Hyrule Warriors

Gametrailers have mentioned this on both episodes of their new weekly podcast [Thanks For Playing] now... that they think basically the only reason we're getting Hyrule Warriors, or basically a Zelda themed another franchise, is because Zelda for Wii U itself is a LONG way off release, and they need something to fill the gap for the series.

So what do we think? Christmas 2015 for the next Zelda?

Not so sure. Nintendo need a proper Zelda to sell their consoles. WiiU or not. Arguably, WiiU needs it sooner rather than later but I can see where they are coming from.

I'd rather think this was their franchising approach, lending their characters to developers and therefore broadening their software library. Unfortunately, every Nintendo move is tainted with negativity such is the apathy from the hardcore crowd as to their recent decision making (apologies, not recent - since the Wii launched).

I almost expect mainstream media to turn such an announcement into more doom for WiiU owners. How else are they going to get the Nintendo core gamers to visit their website? ::shrug:

We have a new screenshot!

16_px400.jpg

New in that we didn't have a direct feed one of that scene. The scene is in the trailer.

Edited by Serebii

Graphically this game looks like a pile of absolute shit. Hopefully it won't play as it looks!

In gaming, this is a first-time collaboration. As a new entry in the Warriors series, we plan to release the game Hyrule Warriors in collaboration with Nintendo in the summer of this year. In addition to our Warriors series fan base, Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda is also a very popular series with a large fan base, and I think it will become a great new market. Because of The Legend of Zelda’s legion of fans overseas, we are aiming to sell more than one million copies worldwide.

I think over a million is a reasonable expectation. The Dynasty Warrior series has a good following in a Japan and with the Zelda brand attached it should do more than alright.

I'll be there day one. I've enjoyed the DW games in the past. They have never been lookers and relied on the good old hack and slash gameplay to get gamers on board. They can get boring after a whole though so it will be interesting to see if they have expanded the gameplay in any way now that they are using the Zelda franchise.

I look forward to seeing how far this has come during the e3 coverage.

Graphically this game looks like a pile of absolute shit. Hopefully it won't play as it looks!

It's a Dynasty Warriors game, of course it looks like crap. They all do because they focus on having thousands of enemies onscreen at the same time (they're also low budget, so there is that to consider too but for what it's worth, it looks better than pretty much any other DW game so far :) ).

I don't hold much hope for it to be much fun either if it ends up playing like most other DW games (the gameplay is about as shallow as a paddling pool), but some people like brainless button mashing, so I'm sure there's an audience for this game ::shrug:

Edited by Dcubed

I don't hold much hope for it to be much fun either if it ends up playing like most other DW games (the gameplay is about as shallow as a paddling pool), but some people like brainless button mashing, so I'm sure there's an audience for this game ::shrug:

*raises hand* :D

I read a rumour online that this game would feature several original playable characters. Doesn't sound too appealing at first, but the rumour would go on to say that it included a Goron Warrior, a Deku Warrior, a Ball&Chain warrior, etc.

Even if the rumour was false, I sure hope they let us play with that sort of variety. I've wanted to explore the different races of Hyrule for a while now, and Dynasty Warriors often gives you a healthy selection of styles.

I read a rumour online that this game would feature several original playable characters. Doesn't sound too appealing at first, but the rumour would go on to say that it included a Goron Warrior, a Deku Warrior, a Ball&Chain warrior, etc.

Even if the rumour was false, I sure hope they let us play with that sort of variety. I've wanted to explore the different races of Hyrule for a while now, and Dynasty Warriors often gives you a healthy selection of styles.

Would be incredible to be Darunia, rolling around like a bad ass...

darunia-dance-o.gif

Unfortunately the Gundam DW crossover was cack, so I expect nothing great from this. Transposing the DW formula onto stuff won't hide that it's the same DW formula that we've seen a thousand times before. Would be very surprised if it's much more than that.

I just can't see anybody paying full price for this. Could it be a budget title? Who is going to buy this at £40?

The saving grace could be whether or not we can fight as other popular Zelda characters (as mentioned above). That may sway some of the hardcore. I'd love to fight as Darunia, for example.

Unfortunately the Gundam DW crossover was cack, so I expect nothing great from this. Transposing the DW formula onto stuff won't hide that it's the same DW formula that we've seen a thousand times before. Would be very surprised if it's much more than that.

On the other hand, this IS a Nintendo collaboration... One would think that Nintendo would keep a closer eye on how they want their IPs represented than the likes of BandaiNamco...

Other DW games have online co-op right?

If so...please!

Yeah. I'm intrigued to see if this does. No reason why it shouldn't given that the other entries have it.

Would be incredible to be Darunia, rolling around like a bad ass...

darunia-dance-o.gif

A playable Goron is the only thing that would make me interested in this.

Goron Link is the most fun of all the Links, after all.

I'm feeling mildly hopeful over this.

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, so that the game's too similar to the other entries won't bother me in the slightest. I do however wonder to what extent the developers have mimicked the Zelda combat system. I've always thought it'd be great to play a game that's got the same combat system as Zelda, only more combat oriented.

If it's purely "swing your sword in the general direction of the enemy", then it's not too interresting. If it's got a lock on system, allowing me to strafe around enemies and be precise about it if I want, then this will be absolutely golden. By looking at the trailer, it seems to be a bit of both.

Regarding graphics, I sort of agree. All character models, except for Link himself, look terrible. And the art direction seems strange. The enemies look sort of pasted in, as if their lighting didn't match the surroundings.

Yeah. I'm intrigued to see if this does. No reason why it shouldn't given that the other entries have it.

*Prepares for a discussion about voice chat for the next 20 pages of this thread.*

Edited by Blade

*Prepares for a discussion about voice chat for the next 20 pages of this thread.*

Unlike Mario Kart, it's the sort of game that needs voice chat in all aspects.

However, as it's not teamed with randomers, I don't see Nintendo being opposed.

When Nintendo get with the times then we will no longer need to discuss it. :D Until then we have to play the guessing game on a game by game basis.

Hell yeah. It's mounds of fun when an army tries to swarm you and you're batting them away like Sauron in Fellowship of the Ring.

*raises hand* :D

Same!

Dynasty Warriors is my guilty pleasure. On the paper, it should not be entertaining at all. But for me, it is. I have no idea how many hours I have played DW2 on PS2. DW8 is the PS4-game I have played the most so far.

Hyrule Warriors is a must for me. I love Zelda, I love DW. Great combination!

I dont know so much about this game. But, I love me some Zelda, so this is a game im going to try and see if i like it. I'll properly just play it at a buddies place and if i like it, buy it myself.

I'm looking forward to this as it will give me a Zelda fix as well as introduce me to the Dynasty Warriors series. Double whammy of awesome as far as I'm concerned.

I'm interested in seeing what DW fans end up thinking of this game, with it possibly being their first point of contact with the Zelda series (rather than the other way around...)

I just can't see anybody paying full price for this. Could it be a budget title? Who is going to buy this at £40?

The saving grace could be whether or not we can fight as other popular Zelda characters (as mentioned above). That may sway some of the hardcore. I'd love to fight as Darunia, for example.

We don't know anything about this game... I just don't get how you can say things like that? Nt saying it won't happen, but you're basing it one what? A very old trailer... If a series where they always do charge full price?

I think this will inevitably be better due to nintendos involvement. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out personally.