NEurope
Ashley

Hyrule Warriors

Satoru Iwata announced a brand new title during today's Nintendo Direct - Hyrule Warriors.

The new game is not the next title in the main Zelda series, that is coming separately, but it is a hack and slash title that combines the Zelda series with the Dynasty Warriors franchise.

It is being developed Temco Koei and while the game is being called Hyrule Warriors at this stage, Iwata did point out that it is a temporary title.

Not much else is known about the Wii U bound title yet, other than a vague 2014 launch date, but you can watch the unveiling trailer below.

Thoughts?

Edited by Ashley

Should sell well inJapan, but feel underwhelmed by its hack and slash approach. Let's hope it has a more robust and deep combat system.

I missed the introduction so was initially excited as I thought it was the unveiling of the next proper Legend of Zelda game, only to think that it looked a bit poor compared to what I expected.. and then when I saw so many enemies on screen, I wondered what was going on.. then I realised it was a spin off :hmm: I've never been interested in Dynasty Warriors, but the Zelda connection may make me keep an eye on this..

This was clearly very early in development. Hopefully it'll have some substance other than endless combat, but we probably won't find out more for a while.

It looks so weird, but I have a feeling that there's more to this than meets the eye.

I hope so, but with previous Dynasty Warriors games this has not been the case. I'm really hoping though.

This will be this generation's Wii Chess in that we'll all look back at it and go "oh yeah, what the fuck was all that about?"

This will be this generation's Wii Chess in that we'll all look back at it and go "oh yeah, what the fuck was all that about?"

That's funny, I was thinking it was this generation's Link's Crossbow Training.

That's funny, I was thinking it was this generation's Link's Crossbow Training.

Oh yeah, what the fuck was all that about?

Oh yeah, what the fuck was all that about?

tumblr_mnsvx32Ami1sslrwgo1_400.gif

I mean...showing off the Zapper thing. Obviously.

I liked crossbow training :)

As an additional game for a 3rd party to work on I don't see the problem, though surely this means proper Zelda has no chance of this year now.

I've always said Nintendo shouldbe more generous with their ip with 3rd parties - it's always a huge success (punch out in fight night, soul caliber 2 etc) the sonic dlc will make the game have a huge boost in sales I'm sure, and this makes dynasty warriors infinitely more appealing. Do it more Nintendo. More games released, maybe some minor franchises getting attention, and leaves Nintendo to focus on the bigger games, or, dare we think, new ip.

Graphically this game really looked terrible :( Unfortunately the gameplay looked even worse..Let's hope it gets some polish before we see it next.

I've always said Nintendo shouldbe more generous with their ip with 3rd parties - it's always a huge success (punch out in fight night, soul caliber 2 etc) the sonic dlc will make the game have a huge boost in sales I'm sure, and this makes dynasty warriors infinitely more appealing. Do it more Nintendo. More games released, maybe some minor franchises getting attention, and leaves Nintendo to focus on the bigger games, or, dare we think, new ip.

Let us not forget Pokken :D

On a serious note, this very likely won't be my cup of tea but I can appreciate it being revealed. Such a batshit barmy thing to announce. Dat Nintendo-surprise factor.

it was totes

This was clearly very early in development. Hopefully it'll have some substance other than endless combat, but we probably won't find out more for a while.

If this is more Dynasty Warriors than Zelda then I cant see it having much more substance than was shown in the video unfortunately.

A glimpse to the future. This is what a Zelda game might look like if Nintendo went bust and got bought by EA.

This, to me, looks awful. I actually cannot find words to express my dismay!

Looks absolutely glorious. Obviously an early build which explains the random spawning of soldiers and bokoblins throughout, but the graphics are sharp, gameplay looks fun...that's all I need :)

Those are either bullshots or from a more advanced build than the (I assume hastily thrown together) trailer. Watching it just now on the Wii U, there was none of that depth of field and the textures look way worse. Crazy that the framerate is so bad too. I believe the Warriors Orochi 3 port had similar issues. Better really if they built a new Wii U engine from scratch with Nintendo's help.

I've always had a soft spot for Dynasty Warriors, so I'm sure I'll have some good, mindless fun with this game. Link's additional clothing and armour reminds me of the Link that appeared in the Skyward Sword prequel manga, so it'll be interesting to see if there's a connection. Also hope that we get to play as more than just Link. Gimme Zelda, Gorons, the lot!

... On another note, I'm going to assume that depending on how closely this game follows the Dynasty Warriors formula, this game might have voice acting.

Y... Yaaaaay...?

Looks absolutely glorious. Obviously an early build which explains the random spawning of soldiers and bokoblins throughout, but the graphics are sharp, gameplay looks fun...that's all I need :)

You've been spending too much time smoking Bellsprout's stun-spore, brah. It looks very basic.

It's very early and it could be decent when finished. But, gah, the depressing thing for me is that there are a field full of enemies who don't seem to attack or react to Link being there (except by looking at him). I wonder if Nintendo should have kept this under wraps, just released screens and waited until it was a bit smarter looking before showing off any more.