NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Direct 18th December - Wii U & 3DS Spring 2014 Titles

Just tuned into the Jap Direct after the EU one.

Theatrhythm Curtain Call announced, due for Spring 2014 on 3DS, demo version due (not sure when, was just at the end of announcement)

Currently speaking about Dragon Quest Monsters 2, out February 6th

Bombs dropped. Stuff everywhere.

Shibata as Layton. Nintendo forever

Are you being serious? This is the best Direct since January. So much new...

What drugs are you smoking? Only the Rosalina reveal and the MK8 footage were any good and they both came right at the end.

You guys are clearly dead inside. There is so much awesome in this Direct.

Seriously, you ask for Nintendo to deliver. They deliver with new stuff you didn't think would exist, as well as stuff for upcoming games that we know about. So what? The games aren't out yet, they're not going to bloody ignore them just because you know they exist.

What do you people actually want? Nintendo to suddenly make a Gears of War game? Use your heads.

You've officially lost it.

Nothing they've shown will change the Wii U's fate, unfortunately. They clearly haven't invested over the years and are paying heavily for it. And no, not a gears game from Nintendo, but they need to invest in something (a studio or developer) to produce the next 'Goldeneye' for them so it might have a chance in the west.

It was a decent direct but nothing major announced apart from the Dynasty Warriors game, which I'm guessing is quite big in Japan?

I'm hugely disappointed that they didn't show any upcoming eShop titles :( I wanted a Shovel Knight release date which is frustrating. Good to see Duck Tales on sale though, I'm on it!

inb4 the butthurt forumers with unreal expectations.

Thought it was ok, tbh. If anything, to show that Nintendo are taking the DLC and online content stuff seriously. NES remix stuff looks nice. The only thing I'm unsure about was that Hyrule Warriors thing at the beginning which looked a bit weak.

It was alright. Some neat announcements, most of it by the books.

Iwata showing off the Initial D free-to-play online racing game, closed beta starting soon.

Monster Hunter 4 puzzle being distributed after the presentation (fucking great, more pieces I can't get..). 7 eleven to distribute some event quests for the game through their 7-Spot system (same manner as they distributed some Animal Crossing items)

Now talking about Year of Luigi, will update if they say anything new. Just some JP exclusive Luigi items such as pen and note pad, 3DS XL case etc..

So.........is anyone going to post the full list for those of us who couldn't watch it or continue to moan how bad it is instead?

Full Nintendo Direct.

This was actually one of the best Nintendo Directs in a while, better than I expected. Didn't think there'd be any new announcements and Smash and MK look even better than I thought. First time I've really liked the look of Tropical Freeze too. Sonic DLC looks awesome.

Temco Koei need a bit of help on the visual spit and polish for Hyrule Warriors, but it looked like it could be fun.

Not sure why anyone thought there'd be E3 level megatons that could suddenly and miraculously "change the Wii U's fortunes", but that's the way it goes I guess.

You guys are clearly dead inside. There is so much awesome in this Direct.

Seriously, you ask for Nintendo to deliver.They deliver with new stuff you didn't think would exist, as well as stuff for upcoming games that we know about. So what? The games aren't out yet, they're not going to bloody ignore them just because you know they exist.

What do you people actually want? Nintendo to suddenly make a Gears of War game? Use your heads.

I wish they hadn't. They're lazy efforts.

Dr. Luigi, it's not an L shaped pill. Brilliant. Milk the year Nintendo.

Wii U Golf. Original 9 holes plus 9 NES holes. Really puts Tiger Woods to shame with the 20+ 18 hole courses.

The NES games look real lazy, some are just mirrored or swapping out Mario to put in Link.

The Sonic Lost World DLC, yes nice but that game has bombed and is supposedly bad.

Not a single mention of any 3rd party support or game coming.

Like I said Rosalina and MK8 was nice but that was the final 2 or 3minutes.

Overall this was pretty good. Mario Kart 8 and DKCR:TF looked absolutely amazing. NES Remix looked like a fun bonus. The Lost World DLC looked incredible and it's FREE - a big bonus for those who got the game.

As for Hyrule Warriors - it looked terrible. The graphics could have been on the 3DS, and that scarf was appalling.

However, I'm sure there's going to be a tonne of complaints coming in - but it's truly unjustifiable to complain. It was a showcase of games coming in Spring, it wasn't NEW games or anything else.

Every time there's one of these people go wild with speculation which slowly grows out of all proportion and then there's the come down and the inevitable bitching.

Nintendo Direct 2013: when my internet kept fucking dying

Iwata: Ret's take a look

*video stops*

Iwata: We hope you enjoyed it.

That was the whole of it, essentially.

The Hyrule hack n' slash looks interesting. The 2D platformers + DLC look good (as usual). NES Remix looks groovy. As expected, a new SSB character.

Pretty decent, I thought. Anyone expecting more just got disappointed, and if it wasn't for the Hyrule thing, maybe I would too. Or maybe I'm too busy being pissed at my connection.

Yeah I thought it was really good. I'm with serebii, what did people expect. It's a direct just before Christmas with a peak into next year, there was more than I expected - NES remix and golf available now, dr luigi is a nice surprise (I love dr mario and it's online). Layton v wright confirmed for March, more on mario kart and smash (though for a minute I thought my dream came true of a Nintendo kart). Loads of awesome sales coming up, a new Zelda spin off, free dlc for sonic which now makes me want to buy it.

Nothing really made me excited in the Direct personally, but NES remix sounds like it could be have been an awesome extra as part of a disc-based Best Of Nintendo Entertainment System collection. I hope if it's successful, they make it a regular thing, as I kind of enjoyed the Sonic Gems Collection 'challenges' (even though they used the slow as shit PAL games locked at their terrible 50hz porting).

Still nothing yet that convinces me to get a Wii U, but I wasn't expecting any thing of the sort in this. Mario Kart 8 looks fun, but it's not something that gets me really excited like it used to.

Until E3, abandon all thought of the Wii U growing as they're clearly not aiming for that right now. What they are aiming for is pleasing the core audience, something I have to respect Nintendo for, but not something I'm too interested in myself.

So.........is anyone going to post the full list for those of us who couldn't watch it or continue to moan how bad it is instead?

New Zelda game, collab with Koei Tecmo called Hyrule Warriors

Kirby Triple Deluxe with multiplayer fighting game

Yoshi's New Island due Spring 2014

Chibi Robo: Photo Finder coming to North America

Special Celebi when you play Pokémon Bank before September 30th

Sonic Lost World getting special Yoshi and Zelda DLC. Yoshi available nopw

NES Remix announced: Mixes levels and characters of classic NES games. £8.99 out now

Dr. Luigi out on January 15th for £13.49

Super Mario Bros Deluxe as a Virtual Console game on 3DS, free if you made a NNID

Donkey Kong COuntry on February 21st

Wii Sports Golf available today

Layton VS Phoenix Wright on March 28th

Rosalina in Super Smash Bros

Mario Kart 8 trailer

The start of that Smash brothers trailer confused me at first, I thought it was revealing Kirby would be in Mario Kart 8

I enjoyed the Direct but I wouldn't really say any "bombs where dropped" here. Mario Kart 8's new tracks look very nice, I especially like the airport stage they showed off. The NES Remix stuff looked great to me, I'll almost certainly get those.

Other then that, more Donkey Kong and the smash brothers reveal were all I was interested in.

Now i must ransack all of my Nintendo games and see if I can get 7000 points to get that Luigi's mansion diorama lol.

Edited by Helmsly

Not a single mention of any 3rd party support or game coming.

Hyrule Warrior and Sonic DLC is 3rd party support. I know it's not what you wanted but it is what it is.

Thought there would be more EU release dates, but AAvsPL was nice.

Overall this was pretty good. Mario Kart 8 and DKCR:TF looked absolutely amazing. NES Remix looked like a fun bonus. The Lost World DLC looked incredible and it's FREE - a big bonus for those who got the game.

As for Hyrule Warriors - it looked terrible. The graphics could have been on the 3DS, and that scarf was appalling.

However, I'm sure there's going to be a tonne of complaints coming in - but it's truly unjustifiable to complain. It was a showcase of games coming in Spring, it wasn't NEW games or anything else.

Every time there's one of these people go wild with speculation which slowly grows out of all proportion and then there's the come down and the inevitable bitching.

Tbf, I don't think many people here were overhyped at all as it's clear Nintendo is already stretched. It's just hilarious to see people like Serebii saying things like 'BOMBS DROPPED EVERYWHERE' which is a huge exaggeration.

Hyrule Warrior and Sonic DLC is 3rd party support. I know it's not what you wanted but it is what it is.

Thought there would be more EU release dates, but AAvsPL was nice.

The best support we can hope for on Wii U.

There obviously wasn't that killer reveal that we all optimistically hope for, but there was certainly enough reason to be happy :smile:

@Mokong X\-C will be delighted to see Golf available now for Wii Sports Club, along with the opportunity to try out each sport again free for 24 hours, and @RedShell will probably be ecstatic about how Mario Kart 8 is looking, even if I have a few concerns about some of the similarities with Mario Kart 7 :indeed:

Sonic Lost World looks to be getting some appealing DLC, something which I may look to if the game drops to around £9.99 at some point and if there are more levels than Yoshi and Zelda :hehe:

NES Remix isn't exactly what the Wii U needs but it could be fun to experience a lot of these games that I've never really played before, if at all, in a new way.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze showed a glimpse of some new levels I hadn't seen before and it got me more excited for the game than I had been but the other platformer, Yoshi's New Island, still feels highly underwhelming. They really need to change that awful, dreary music :nono:

I wasn't particularly interested in Dr. Luigi or Kirby, but the segment towards the end with Kirby flying around Rainbow Road with Mario and DK racing along the track looked like a potentially exciting reveal, only for it to be Roaslina in Super Smash Bros. :hmm:

Overall, it was a good Nintendo Direct, if not exactly a great one. At least I'll have Super Mario Bros Deluxe to play on my 3DS for free in February :heh: I've never played it before..

Edited by nekunando

Always a shame when any people who didnt like what they saw are just automatically called overhyped as some kind of excuse.

As for the actual Nintendo Direct. Im sure it was good enough for people already happy with Nintendo but it still just felt by the numbers with them trotting out the same old stuff yet again. I can understand Nintendo thinking that double down on existing franchises and targeting people's nostalgia is the way to try and fix the Wii U problem but its just creating new problems with Nintendo fatigue starting to set in and nothing being shown that makes you feel anything new is on the horizon to fix it.