NEurope
Happenstance

Playstation Plus Free Games

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm looking forward to this rumoured Game Pass competitor from Sony. It has to be an upgrade on PS Plus surely. 

It won't be a Game Pass competitor, Sony have already said they have no plans to release first party games onto a subscription.

9 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

It won't be a Game Pass competitor, Sony have already said they have no plans to release first party games onto a subscription.

I'm not expecting it to be as good as Game Pass, but just something slightly better than what we have now.

I'm not expecting it to be as good as Game Pass, but just something slightly better than what we have now.

Well sounds like they're going to be putting older past gen games onto it, too, possibly as a tier upgrade to Plus. Not sure that's what you're looking for though.

I really hope Game Pass doesn't take off across the whole industry as the de facto game distribution method, it seems pretty clear to me that it's a bit of a Trojan horse. Cheap and attractive now but very likely to become expensive if standard distribution methods become phased out. The promotions that are always running make it a no brainer right now but they surely won't last forever.

50 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I really hope Game Pass doesn't take off across the whole industry as the de facto game distribution method, it seems pretty clear to me that it's a bit of a Trojan horse. Cheap and attractive now but very likely to become expensive if standard distribution methods become phased out. The promotions that are always running make it a no brainer right now but they surely won't last forever.

Forget the deals, even £8 or 11 per month is pretty amazing for what you get. :heart: 

Forget the deals, even £8 or 11 per month is pretty amazing for what you get.  
Based on the current pricing structure. In future I'm betting that these prices will rise significantly if the game pass model becomes standard across the industry. Microsoft are bankrolling this now but eventually they'll want to make money from it.

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

March lineup.

FMS3xONVIAQyfnn?format=jpg&name=large

Well, only one of my three friends that I play with weekly doesn't have Ghost of Tsushima yet, so I guess this should be a good way to convince them to dive into Legends with me after Gran Turismo 7 :p

Otherwise, bit of a meh month to be honest ::shrug:

53 minutes ago, Julius said:

Well, only one of my three friends that I play with weekly doesn't have Ghost of Tsushima yet, so I guess this should be a good way to convince them to dive into Legends with me after Gran Turismo 7 :p

Otherwise, bit of a meh month to be honest ::shrug:

I'm actually looking forward to playing Ghostrunner. I've heard good things about it.

Great month.

Always wanted to play Ghostrunner on the PS5 after I've tried it at my sister's boyfriend's place. It was a lot of fun on his Xbox so I figured I'd get it myself eventually. Glad I waited :D 

Ghost of Tsushima Legends is awesome. Haven't tried it (I own the GoT:DC) but now my friends get access to it and we'll definitely give it a go in coop. :peace: 

Trusted leaker Dealabs is back:

2331451_1.jpg

First of all: Objectively, this is the best month ever because of Battle for Bikini Bottom Slay the Spire. :p 

But this is the first month in ages that's pretty bad for me. I might give the Spongebob game a go, though. Never heard of Hood Oultawas & Legends to be honest...

• Like 1

PlayStation Plus always has the remarkable ability to teach me about games I never knew existed. Apart from Slay the Spire, of course, which is excellent.

Good month for me. I may finally give Slay the Spire a go and the SpongeBob game is supposed to be quite decent and a fan favourite.

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I may finally give Slay the Spire a go

spongebob-grin.gif

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good month for me. I may finally give Slay the Spire a go and the SpongeBob game is supposed to be quite decent and a fan favourite.

I played a bit of it and it wasn’t great. Feel like nostalgia was the cause of a lot of the hype. 

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

I played a bit of it and it wasn’t great. Feel like nostalgia was the cause of a lot of the hype. 

I figured that may be the case but I am a sucker for a platformer/adventure type game from that era.

Officially official that the games leaked the other day are indeed this month's games:

Hood - meh, I have no interest.

SpongeBob - could be a fun game to play in the summer, has that vibe.

Slay the Spire - seeing how addicted @drahkon is to it, I'll gladly skip until I've got the time to potentially become obsessed :p

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Slay the Spire - seeing how addicted @drahkon is to it, I'll gladly skip until I've got the time to potentially become obsessed :p

On the ignore list you go :) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Julius said:

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

On the ignore list you go :) 

I had Slay the Spire on the Switch, I never played it, sold it, and I don't subscribe to PS Plus any more, so it's not likely that I'll play it... ever. :D

I used to buy games and tell myself "I'll play that one day..." because I see these games being enjoyed, and part of me used to think, "well... I'll give it a try, because it's surely a great game" but I now realise that there are plenty of games which I have no intention of playing, and I'm fine with it. :smile:

It's a bit like me telling everyone "You should play Phantasy Star Online" as there are many ways that you can play it online now, for free even, but I recognise that it's not for everyone, just like any game. I play it a lot, and I can see that many people might look at it and say "Why would you want to keep playing it?" but if you've played it in the past, then chances are that you're already sold on the game, or not as the case may be.

It's nice to see that other people enjoy various games, and are passionate about them, I can even see why certain games are popular from the screenshots and videos which are shared, but for many games, I just can't buy them and let them sit on the shelf or in the digital library when there's no desire to play them. :peace:

- - - - -

This latest change to PS Plus is going to be interesting for a lot of gamers, as it will offer many the chance to play a lot of classic Playstation games for what isn't a huge amount of money, providing that you intend to get many hours of playtime within the time that you are subscribed.

Nothing to sway me, but I do hope that there are a lot of classic PS games which will be added, so that many more people can have the chance to play them (or not) as there are many retro PS games across PS/PS2/PS3/PS4 which have become too highly priced to recommend that anyone actually buys them, unless they really want to own them and play them.

Strider 2 is a great example, I bought a copy of that, played it and will likely sell it, as while it's an excellent game, and even comes with a fantastic port of Strider as well, it's an £80+ game now... and while I do like the game, I can't see myself keeping it or wanting to play it again.

Perhaps PS Plus subscribers will get their money's worth if there are enough old RPG's on the service, as some of those can take 50-100+ hours to complete, although obviously if you're part-way through playing a long game, and your subscription happens to lapse, I could see that becoming an inconvenience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I had Slay the Spire on the Switch, I never played it, sold it, and I don't subscribe to PS Plus any more, so it's not likely that I'll play it... ever. :D

Well that's much worse than just shelving it :p appreciate you taking the fall for me S.C.G!

20 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I used to buy games and tell myself "I'll play that one day..." because I see these games being enjoyed, and part of me used to think, "well... I'll give it a try, because it's surely a great game" but I now realise that there are plenty of games which I have no intention of playing, and I'm fine with it. :smile:

Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it, not buying into your own momentary excitement and just knowing what you're into. 

I've made a terrible habit of buying games that are just ending up on my shelf, and I recently put a pause on digital purchases with one eye on the Wii U and 3DS eShops closing, and the other on folders (I know Switch got Groups recently but it's just not the same if it's not front and centre on the home page, but then, I guess at least they got them!).

Everything I pick up physically I intend to play (though with the delay of BOTW2 I think I might have chosen the wrong time to get Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, as I could now see them getting Switch remasters by the end of the year!), but my tastes generally lead me towards games which are pretty long (namely being RPG's) which is why I think I've "fallen behind", for lack of a better term. Going to try something different in April, but yeah, just knowing what you want to play based on your own tastes and mood is always the right way to go I feel :peace:

27 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Nothing to sway me, but I do hope that there are a lot of classic PS games which will be added, so that many more people can have the chance to play them (or not) as there are many retro PS games across PS/PS2/PS3/PS4 which have become too highly priced to recommend that anyone actually buys them, unless they really want to own them and play them.

It's absolutely insane to me that, for console gamers, this could be the first time they've been into games and had access to renown series like Metal Gear Solid (if it comes to the service, but it's probably the best example I've got!) on the current platforms. I had to go out of my way to pick up a PS3 to experience MGS to MGS4, and as much as I love them, the simple act of having them stuck on a generally slower and clunkier console can make it hard to just pick them up whenever (hence why I've taken so long getting around to playing Peace Walker). In the time since I played MGS, though, I've talked the series up to my friends to the point now that if the series does come to PS+ Premium, they're saying they're completely onboard to give it a try to at the very least try to understand what it's all about, which is exciting for me (more people to talk to about games I love is always a win) and could generally be a big boon for retro gaming and bringing fan favourites back into the conversation in a way they either never have, or at least haven't since the PS3 (so a decade+ ago?) if they were lucky enough to be included in a collection or as a PS1 Classic. 

Now, obviously, it depends on what the line-up actually is in the first place, and it's why I'm still a bit nervous about this whole thing and could just as easily skip it as I could pick it up. I think it'd be crazy if a game as essential to the conversation of the PS1 as Metal Gear Solid didn't make it to a service like this, but then, it wouldn't be the first time Konami and PlayStation have made odd decisions if it didn't end up on the service. The only thing giving me a slight glimmer of hope there was its inclusion on the PlayStation Classic, so fingers crossed! 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ba2eb0ba6848f182cdeb81688f01f400e372c1f2&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Haha 2

Looks like the Spongebob game is already available on PS+. I was able to add it via my PS5. Just search for it in the store.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

Looks like the Spongebob game is already available on PS+. I was able to add it via my PS5. Just search for it in the store.

Thanks for this. I downloaded it yesterday evening and gave it a quick go this morning. It's definitely a GameCube/PS2 Era platformer. Lots of collectibles and platforming to be had. I finished the first main level and it was fun. I'll probably put some more time into it over the weekend.

Rumoured games for PS+ in May:

EA clearly desperate to get me back playing FIFA after I've taken a vow to not go back :p

FIFA is a bit of a rubbish choice. It's the sort of game that most fans already have by this point, while those absolutely not interested in FIFA (like me) would simply never play it.

Edited by Sheikah