NEurope
Dog-amoto

Fallout 4

So...how do you breakdown junk? Can I transfer junk to any workstation whether it's an Armour, Weapon or whatever?

You can transfer your junk to any workbench and it'll be broken down automatically when you build things, but you'll only be able to use it in that settlement unless you set up a trade route.

So it's a bad idea to dump junk at random work stations around the place when I need to lose weight?

Just when I was starting to find things a little too easy, the game seems to have increased the difficulty on me significantly when I reached level 20. I had about 300 ammo for each of my guns, but managed to burn through all of my laser ammo when the game threw an alpha deathclaw at me out of nowhere. I do wish they had gone with location based difficulty, having locations further away from the original vault (and maybe a few dungeons closer by to give you an incentive to go back) having increased difficulty, rather than just scaling everything discretely with your level. That's certainly not something that's out of the question with mods though.

So it's a bad idea to dump junk at random work stations around the place when I need to lose weight?

Once you can access a particular, workshop in a settlement area it will be persistent (not sure about random crafting stations outside settlement areas though), so you can always go back and get the stuff if you had to leave something a bit more rare there, like stuff that breaks down into adhesive. As far as I can tell, all containers in settlement areas (ones you build, or pre-existing ones) are persistent.

What I've been doing though is just dropping the least needed (or least valuable if you're selling stuff rather than scrapping it) junk and weapons and armour I've picked up, finishing the dungeon (and repeating if I find other stuff I want to pick up), and then fast traveling back to my base to dump everything when I'm done.

If you're having serious problems with carry weight, there's a perk under strength that gives you a reasonably significant increase there. You may also want to consider adding pocketed (or once you have the required perk, deep pocketed) modifications to your armour. I'd also recommend auditing the "Aid" tab of your inventory. It's easy to pick up a lot of stuff you don't need in that category, and just forget about it because individual items are so light, but it adds up. Beverages are particularly bad because they have a weight of 1. Even stuff that weighs 0.5 and 0.1 can add up though if you find a lot of them, so it would be a good idea to find a place to store such things, or just sell them as they can be worth quite a lot. Don't forget about combining things at chem stations and cooking stations either, as even seemingly worthless foods and chems can become fairly valuable healing items when cooked.

Edited by Emasher

Crafting materials are shared between settlements that are linked by trade routes. So if you store any junk in one workbench it will become available in all linked settlements.

Stuff like weapons and armor, however, can't be accessed in all linked settlements, as far as I have observed.

The game needs a scrap-function in the Pip-Boy.

Bought this digitally on whim yesterday. I can safely say that if a real nuclear weapon happens, I might as well jump in a radiaton filled lake and die so I don't waste precious resources. I'm awful at this :p

I decided to play as a woman, but as in every game with a customatization option, I end up looking more like manly hideuous beast than the sexy chick I was aiming for. Okay maybe it's not bad, but I don't mind that my current clothing makes me look like suicidal diver.

I'm hoarding everything I find, but it seems not everything can be transferred to the workshop. Stuff like clothing mostly. Can this not be dismantled? Should I just throw it away?

Also, is it not possible to remove the house in the sanctuary for dismantling? Edit: Some can be removed it seems.

Edited by Tales

I'm hoarding everything I find, but it seems not everything can be transferred to the workshop. Stuff like clothing mostly. Can this not be dismantled? Should I just throw it away?

Armour can be broken down at an armour workbench, while weapons can be broken down at a weapon work bench. It has to be actual armour though, so normal clothing won't work. Unless you need leather and steel, you're probably better off just selling or storing weapons and armour though, until you get the perk that lets you salvage more components from them anyway.

I believe there's also an exploit where you can drop items on the ground in a settlement area, and then salvage them in workshop mode and get more components out of them. I have no idea if this still works though, as the game has had patches.

I don't think there's any reason to keep clothing that you genuinely don't need, but before you get rid of it, keep in mind that certain clothing items give you stats boosts while wearing them. Suits and various types of hats, for instance, give you significant boosts to charisma, while glasses give you a boost to perception, etc. I usually carry a set of clothing around besides my armour that I can change into while in settlements in order to boost my charisma while talking to people.

Edited by Emasher

I believe there's also an exploit where you can drop items on the ground in a settlement area, and then salvage them in workshop mode and get more components out of them. I have no idea if this still works though, as the game has had patches.

Not true. This was always just a rumour and it got debunked.

Not true. This was always just a rumour and it got debunked.

Ah, that's good then.

There is a big glitch though, if you drop an item then get your dog to fetch it. Just as the dog nods his head to pick up the item you pick it up and a couple of seconds later the dog drops the item at your feet.

It's not dead easy to do but it does work if you have any items worth duplicating.

There is a big glitch though, if you drop an item then get your dog to fetch it. Just as the dog nods his head to pick up the item you pick it up and a couple of seconds later the dog drops the item at your feet.

It's not dead easy to do but it does work if you have any items worth duplicating.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've really encountered many items worth duplicating yet. Without the repair mechanics, you just need one of pretty much all equipable items. Ammo and aid items seem to be pretty common, especially once you grab a few luck perks and start cooking. I suppose you could duplicate valuable items, but I'm finding caps to not be all that important compared to previous games (so far anyway). That really only leaves rarer junk items like stuff that yields adhesive, and exploring to find that stuff would be a much more pleasant use of time than trying to figure out the exploit anyway.

I used it to duplicate a concrete bag. It took me about 20 minutes to get it right, and was the only thing I did!!! My reactions are not good!

If you need adhesive, get multifruit, corn, tatos and water. Go to the cooking station and make vegetable starch then break it down for 5 adhesive!

I used the glitch to duplicate the special book and get some higher stats, i managed to create 5 working special books and boost a strength, perception,endurance, luck and intelligence a point each - i had 50 special books to do it, not sure why it worked on 5 books but not on the others, its a glitch so its intermittent.

The only useful use i had out of it was Fusion cores, i cloned 10 of them to give me a float for using my power armour

Is it just me or is some of the settlement building crap? I tried to build a gate at Sanctuary, there's a right angle steel wall, used two of them and a door frame then went to put on a roof - the roof goes on the wrong side of the right angle, no explanation on if you can alter the wall alignment to get it on the inside, no real guide to settlements at all.

and Walls! when i finally made an entrance, i tried to put a line of steel walls along the back of the original brick bridge/wall, only they do not follow the ground and eventually snap to each other and float

Gave up with settlements after the initial quest for them and went off exploring

Settlement building isn't the easiest thing but I think it's fun! I normally stick a wall in the ground and snap them on from there. Or use a concrete/wood foundation which works a treat.

Isn't cloning items ruining the game for you guys? Not much point scavenging for stuff to sell or use if you can clone it.

A heads up to anyone who hasn't visited Vault 81 yet (recommended reading)

When you have to save someone in Vault 81, bear in mind that if you get hit by a particular species of enemy you get a permanent HP -10 debuff, which is pretty considerable. You can see whether you have the debuff by pressing R1 to see active effects on the status screen. The only way to avoid it is to not get hit, nor your partner or a hacked protectron, as them being hit counts as you being hit for some reason - make your partner wait somewhere. I spent ages clearing this with a lot of reloading to prevent the debuff. You can cure the debuff but this results in a bad consequence.

In all fairness I only cloned 1 bag of cement, I would have done more but it took too long to do!!!!

IV barely scratched the surface of the game but have put in like 15 hours!!

On the latest episode of Scream Queens, they played a song that also plays on Diamond City Radio in Fallout 4. What are the odds!

Just a quick question... is it possible to join a faction, do a few quests with them, then bugger off and work with another one for a bit? I kinda want to do as much as possible in this playthrough...

From what I've heard, you have to pick a side eventually, but you're free to work for all sides up to that point.

One item worth cloning with the dog is the You're Special magazine you find in Shaun's old room. I've not done it but it can max out your abilities.

If you go on youtube you can just watch a video of someone completing the game, much quicker :)