Ike

Wii U 2014 and beyond upcoming releases

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze

February/March 2014

He's finally here!

Performing for you!

If you know the words!

You can join in too!

Follow up to 2010's DKCR on the Wii (and 2013's 3DS port). Things take a chillier turn this time around with more snow and more adorable penguins in Viking hats. Also has the amazing innovative ability to play as Dixie and Cranky Kong if you hadn't heard by now.

Mario Kart 8

Spring 2014

Having conquered air, land and sea, Sonic* Mario and friends set out to master gravity as well! Fitting anti-gravity devices to their karts (and bikes, sadly) enables you to drive on walls and even upside down! Crazy! And dangerous!

Online should be amazing and the possibility of DLC adding more tracks and/or racers (Cranky Kong anyone? ;)).

Also the best looking Wii U game for some reason.

* Sonic did it better, but that's for a different thread. ;)

Bayonetta 2

Q3/Q4 2014?

The plot will probably make no sense so I'm just going to mash the keyboard sd;vusdsdawerhisusidio and make more sense, but it's all about the action and killing angels with your hair. The first game was great. Stop asking for ports though, they don't like it.

Super Smash Bros

Q3/Q4 2014

It's Smash. Bigger, better(?) and Megaman-ier than before! Enough said.

X

Q4 2014/2015?

A.K.A New Title Developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. Catchy.

Sudo sequel to Xenoblade. Giant open worlds, giant mechs and look at those views!

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

2014/2015

Not heard anything about this since it's initial announcement but if it's half as good as Awakening, it's going to be pretty amazing.

Yoshi's Yarn

2014(?)

Nintendo's gone a bit quiet on this one as well, but it's basically Kirby's Epic Yarn but with Yoshi. Although Yoshi seems seem to be able to make himself "solid". Graphical style looks a whole lot nicer in this newfangled "HD" thingymabob.

Zelda Wii U

Q4 2014/2015(?)

After Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds, I can't wait to see what Anouma does with a brand new Zelda.

Now. Excuse me while I watch the demo footage.

Newcomers!

Hyrule Warriors

Q1 2014

A.K.A Skyward Scarf.

A mash up of the Zelda series and Dynasty Warriors developed by Tecmo Koei. I bet you didn't expect to see that. Play as Link and fight 100's of Moblins (and other enemies, hopefully) at once.

Sonic Boom

"Coming Soon" 2014

Acting as a prequel to the tie in action/comedy cartoon series and the second title in the Nintendo/SEGA deal. Sonic along with Tails, Knuckles and Amy return in a sort of Sonic Heroes/Sonic Adventure hybrid style game each with their own abilities which you must use to complete the stage either in single or in local multiplayer.

Feel free to mention any other titles since I probably missed some. Including eShop titles.

So what game(s) are you looking forward to most and why (includes any games not mentioned here)?

Edited by Ike

So what game(s) are you looking forward to most and why?
Mario Kart 8 by a looooooong way! :bouncy:

Why? Because it's Mario Kart, that's why. :grin:

But yeah, I'm excited for all of those games really. Well, apart from Tropical Freeze for some weird reason ::shrug: and Fire Emblem, which has never really been my cup of tea. :blank:

2014 is shaping up to be pretty damn awesome for the Wii U though, and there are bound to be some nice surprise games on the way too. :smile:

Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS is what I'm looking forward to most. My favourite video game series of all time is going to return next year.

Hell yeah.

Are we just talking exclusives here then? Although I know there'll not be too many 3rd party games, it's worth mentioning WatchDogs, right?

Are we just talking exclusives here then? Although I know there'll not be too many 3rd party games, it's worth mentioning WatchDogs, right?

If it's on Wii U, you can talk about it. :)

I am looking forward to it, not so much as half the list you'd posted mind. I'm am so hyped for "X" it's untrue!

Dat line-up! That's an incredible list for 2014.

What's more, we still haven't mentioned StarFox, F-Zero, Metroid and a host of other IPs.

Personal wish - Battalion Wars with awesome pad mini-map!

I don't think Smash Bros. will make 2014.

I want to see if Project CARS will actually come out. If not, FAST Racing Neo is where I'll be looking to satiate my racing cravings.

If I still had my Wii U I'd probably be keeping my eye on Bayonetta 2, X and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Im still too burnt out on the regular franchise stuff.

What I'm really wondering is what other 3rd Party support can the WiiU expect other than WatchDogs and an awesome indie line-up?

I'll be buying DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Project X and SMT x Fire Emblem. I quite like not having so many games coming out on Wii U, it means I can take my time to enjoy the few that I have :D

Having not seen the Mario Kart footage for quite some time and watching it now, does anyone else think it looks a little too realistic? The human characters are kind of bothering me, and even some of the others like DK and Yoshi.

I think Smash has pretty much nailed the look for Nintendo's characters on Wii U, and DKCTF has the Kongs, I'd prefer to see those being used here, and just a slight visual style change overall.

LOL @Ike 2014 The year of the Cranky Kong! ;p

My problem with Mario Kart 8 is that it looks like an HD remake of Mario Kart Wii. Looks gorgeous but just seems very samey with gameplay being near identical.

Donkey Kong looks about as innovative as Zumba. It's more insulting than New Super Mario Bros. and the new character reveal is an utter joke. Rare must be turning in their graves.

Apart from that though, it looks like a good, if not slightly bare, line-up! Yarn Yoshi could certainly be interesting given how quiet they've been about it up until this point - and Mario Kart/Smash are obviously going to be great!

I'm still catching up with Wii U games from this year anyway, so I'm set for games for a good while. I may have only scratched the surface of the Wonderful 101, but I'd be MORE than happy with a sequel to that :p

My problem with Mario Kart 8 is that it looks like an HD remake of Mario Kart Wii. Looks gorgeous but just seems very samey with gameplay being near identical.

Unfortunately this is the problem I have with the Wii U atm. Nothing screams 'we couldn't do this on older consoles', it's more a case of 'It's new and shiny!'.

Donkey Kong looks about as innovative as Zumba. It's more insulting than New Super Mario Bros. and the new character reveal is an utter joke. Rare must be turning in their graves.

Apart from that though, it looks like a good, if not slightly bare, line-up! Yarn Yoshi could certainly be interesting given how quiet they've been about it up until this point - and Mario Kart/Smash are obviously going to be great!

I'm still catching up with Wii U games from this year anyway, so I'm set for games for a good while. I may have only scratched the surface of the Wonderful 101, but I'd be MORE than happy with a sequel to that :p

I must admit I'm really confused as to what is 'next-gen' or 'Wii U' about DKCTF... it really does just look like a direct Wii sequel.

I'm really looking forward to it because DKCR was amazing and more of the same and no doubt more refined will be great (unless you're Super Mario Galaxy 2)! but that's really all there is to it.

Still probably my most anticipated Wii U title, actually that could be Mario Kart! :D

This is the claim I layed at NSMBU, we're a year on and they're still at it. It's nothing the remote and nunchuk can't manage to control hence it's inclusion. There's no innovation this generation, this is usually Nintendo's greatest strength. Yet the competition get away with the same repetition but there are many reasons why this can and is glossed over. It's multi faceted as we all know and has been repeated ad nauseam.

Since we're unlikely to get F-Zero any time soon, I'm looking forward to FAST Racing Neo.

Considering the graphics Shin'en managed to get out of the Wii U on launch day, it is going to be spectacular.

I must admit I'm really confused as to what is 'next-gen' or 'Wii U' about DKCTF... it really does just look like a direct Wii sequel.

I could argue the same about many PS4 and Xbox One games. Just saying :p Especially the Wii U part *shot*

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Since we're unlikely to get F-Zero any time soon, I'm looking forward to FAST Racing Neo.

Considering the graphics Shin'en managed to get out of the Wii U on launch day, it is going to be spectacular.

My purchase of this hangs on whether they provide a decent online mode. Here's hoping they do....

I could argue the same about many PS4 and Xbox One games. Just saying :p Especially the Wii U part *shot*
What does *shot* mean?...

Why bring the PS4 and Xbone into it? It can just be compared to other next gen Nintendo games...

When you compare the visual leap in DKCTF to that of Mario 3D World or Mario Kart Wii, I just don't understand what they're doing with the Wii U capabilities that's all, especially as employees from Retro have said things like 'now with the Wii U we can do all we want to in this game'. And it's not gamepad utilisation either.

It's still one of my most highly anticipated games!

(if you want to compare it to the PS4 & Xbone, compare it to their games 1yr 4months from now at least)

Edited by Retro_Link

What does *shot* mean?...

Why bring the PS4 and Xbone into it? It can just be compared to other next gen Nintendo games...

When you compare the visual leap in DKCTF to that of Mario 3D World or Mario Kart Wii, I just don't understand what they're doing with the Wii U capabilities that's all, especially as employees from Retro have said things like 'now with the Wii U we can do all we want to in this game'. And it's not gamepad utilisation either.

It's still one of my most highly anticipated games!

(if you want to compare it to the PS4 & Xbone, compare it to their games 1yr 4months from now at least)

Was just a comment about how many "next-gen" games look like the same malibu stacy as before, but with a new hat. The *shot* was a shot at me for the Wii U bit :p

I'm very excited for the mysterious "X". It looks like something fresh new and epic! I can't wait to play it or to find out more.

Not so excited about anything else now, all nintendo games announced so far seem to be nothing more than mere graphical updated sequels. I really hope they prove me wrong, and that those titles turn out to be masterpieces!