NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

The Great YouTube Content Apocalypse

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/12/99-of-youtube-gaming-channels-will-die-soon-copyright-strike-barrage-discussed/

People probably already know about this one, but here's the lowdown for those of you that don't know;

Over the past few days, a huge amount of monetized YouTube videos have been flagged by copyright claims. This is all part of a new official policy, which seems to limit the amount of content users can upload. The system appears to be automated. The biggest "offenders" of this new policy, are videos with game footage, cutscene footage, game music and even trailer footage. This isn't just happening to small channels, but the bigger, more popular channels that helped establish YouTube.

This seems to go against every right of the fair usage policy, thus is, in my opinion, unfair and unnecessary. I'm all for blocking content that is linked to piracy, but those are the channels should be punished. These established channels, and upcoming ones, that review games and do critiques have every right to keep doing what they're doing. YouTube aren't just screwing up their channels, they're screwing up the lives of the channel's creators. There's a lot of users that use YT as a living, and how is this any different from a standard journalism job? I actually have a channel with a few friends, and we haven't been hit yet (although we're not popular, so probably off their radar), so what the hell are we going to do?

At the end of the day, if this doesn't stop, we need an alternative. What do you all think?

The main reason where things need to change is the copyright laws themselves. If everyone goes elsewhere, the new place will soon be under the same kind of pressure.

Things need to be something in place so that websites can implement a system to prevent abusive and false claims. Google need to be allowed to have a "strike" system for claiming. For example, if a company has X amount of false claims, their claims turn from a "stop the video then investigate" to "investigate the video first".

Although one thing that confuses me is why "Let’s Plays" are included with other videos, in particular those that show all or the majority of a game. In those instances, I think the publisher should have control over the monetisation of those videos.

However, clips used in other videos should definitely be under "fair use" and companies need to be punished for adding in false claims.

Just as the new consoles launch which automatically record game footage for uploading :heh:

Sign in to follow this