NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Project M: Awesome Smash Bros Mod

This is awesome! Here's a tiny example of some of the stuff they're doing with putting in new characters and character mods...

What Is Project M?

Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters.

Project M is playable on ANY NTSC Wii, without any hardware modification, and even without any longterm software modification. All that is needed to get started is an SD card and a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Project Goal

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

- A fast-paced game

- with flowing, natural movement

- where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.

- The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.

- Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.

- Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.

- The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.

I really want to see all the character mods now! :D

And also Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard fighting by themselves!

This came on my radar recently after watchiong the Smash bros documentary and then looking into some of the guys and other bits and bobs. There's apparently this and another project(probably some others two but I think this is one of the two biggest/most notable) but the biggest kicker about them is that there is no PAL version. My NTSC disc stopped working ages back and I ended up getting a PAL version(only had NTSC for the 3 month import jump on release) - really really hoping they release a PAL version just for the sake of checking it out and freshing it up a bit. Tbh I absolutely love Brawl, even more so than Melee, so I'm easy either way - but I like the idea of community hacks and mods as they often add things that you quite appreciate as a player.

I'm absolutely desperate to play this as it looks like a proper sequel to Melee with the huge cast and great presentation of Brawl. Rebalanced characters and awesome alt costumes? Count me in.

Also @Rummy I believe there is a PAL version of project M as I've played version 2.6 quite recently :)

Edited by Goron_3

As much as I dislike Dry Bowser, it's incredible seeing him in the game.

Love Wind Waker PJ Link, and great to have the likes of Mewtwo back in the game!

I'm absolutely desperate to play this as it looks like a proper sequel to Melee with the huge cast and great presentation of Brawl. Rebalanced characters and awesome alt costumes? Count me in.

Also @Rummy I believe there is a PAL version of project M as I've played version 2.6 quite recently :)

Ahhh, I tried to find an older version cos I wanted to try it, however at present on the download screen it says the following, with no links or mention I can see to older versions :(

REQUIREMENTS TO PLAY

The downloads below are for NTSC Brawl Discs and Wii's only. Japanese users, click here. PAL users: there is currently no release for PAL.

Your SD card must be **less than or equal to 2 GigaBytes** in capacity to use Project M. **Note:** The Project M installation includes both music and textures as part of the standard package. If you have custom content on your card, it will be overwritten.

Good news there's previously been PAL support though, as that means we'll likely see the 3.0 revision at some point. I'd even settle for checking out an older version...*goes searching*

EDIT: The internet says you're lying to me, @Goron_3 - y u do dis :(

Edited by Rummy

Ahhh, I tried to find an older version cos I wanted to try it, however at present on the download screen it says the following, with no links or mention I can see to older versions :(

Good news there's previously been PAL support though, as that means we'll likely see the 3.0 revision at some point. I'd even settle for checking out an older version...*goes searching*

EDIT: The internet says you're lying to me, @Goron_3 - y u do dis :(

Woah that's crazy. I'm guessing that the version I played was using an american Wii and copy of Brawl then. That's frustrating though as I was hoping to order a USB and a SD card and just play them on my Wii.

Eugh.

Edit. Here's how the play the previous versions using a PAL game/console, not sure if it's the same for 3.0 though. Man, I thought I was going crazy then :heh:

http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4609.html

Woah that's crazy. I'm guessing that the version I played was using an american Wii and copy of Brawl then. That's frustrating though as I was hoping to order a USB and a SD card and just play them on my Wii.

Eugh.

Edit. Here's how the play the previous versions using a PAL game/console, not sure if it's the same for 3.0 though. Man, I thought I was going crazy then :heh:

http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4609.html

PAL console, but not a PAL game :p I was hoping to use my existing disc. I might give that spin(hurhur) though. In theory, at least. I'd never actually do it, ever.

Ahh, this is one of those times where having an NTSC Wii collection and a homebrew enabled (and now totally useless and redundant PAL Wii) comes in handy :awesome: #smug

Anyway, I have version 2.0 (yet to try 3.0) and I think it's very hit and miss. The stages just flat out suck for the most part; they sucked out all of the randomness and fun from most of them, going out of their way to turn most stages into Battlefield clones :blank:

The characters though... A lot of them are REALLY fun! :D I LOVE the Project M Lucario! It's just brilliant! They basically made him into Ryu from Street Fighter with his moveset and the aura mechanic is actually useful! There's even a new move that's activated by pressing A&B together! :o

Wario is also amazing! They have him his shoulder barge attack from Wario Land and even made him animate just like in the GB/C/A Wario Land games! It's incredibly well done!

And then you get to Squirtle... Which is just WHHHYYYYYY!!!?!!? He sucks something fierce now! Utterly worthless!

Overall though, it's really fun and incredibly well made. I have no idea how the hell they do what they do, but it really feels professionally done! I'd wholeheartedly recommend it if you can play it!

It's not just Lucario I'm interested in playing as....look at what they've done to Mewtwo!

The amount of time they've put into making every character balanced is simply amazing. Melee was great because you could play it casually and competitively, whereas Brawl leant towards the former group (competitive Brawl is the campiest game...ever). This looks like a good balance of the two; I've heard from many casual smash fans that this game is brilliant.

PAL console, but not a PAL game :p I was hoping to use my existing disc. I might give that spin(hurhur) though. In theory, at least. I'd never actually do it, ever.

Woahhhhh I've just had a realisation....I actually have a NTSC brawl copy! I stopped playing it when freeloader got made redundant due to an update but if I just get the softmod working......!

Woahhhhh I've just had a realisation....I actually have a NTSC brawl copy! I stopped playing it when freeloader got made redundant due to an update but if I just get the softmod working......!

If you can get HBC onto it then Gecko you're set, that's what I used to use to boot my NTSC copy(and still basically use to boot everything just cos it defaults into HBC).

Can any of you guys let me know if you're trying out 3.0, I have the wifi version and I'm itching to try it out online.

I have tried but have been unable to get it to load using USB Loader GX. :-(

Have given up on it as doesn't seem to be any firm advice out there.

Have you got the NTSC version of Brawl, if so all you need is that, the Gecko OS, Homebrew Channel and the Project M Mod.

I'd hazard a guess at it not being a disc based copy that he's trying. My NTSC copy knackered itself years ago sadly, so I'm going to be forced to use that handy legitimate backup I definitely made when it was still working...when I finally get around to it. Unless anyone knows a super cheap place to buy NTSC discs?

Did you do those cIOS mods or something like that? I knew about them way back in the day, needed to run backups etc but never did it on my own Wii due to risk of bricking. I think it's all needed etc. Hell, I did try it actually and royally monged my wii, luckily being a launch wii I had BootMii and a whole system NAND backup from a few months before - if I didn't have that option I wouldn't try any of this.

I was able to get the previous version of this running, but the newest version doesn't want to play... Brawl.

horatio.jpg

I'd be way more keen to get this working if the online was more reliable and people I know still played with any regularity. We keep discussing getting a copy of this up and running at work, but half of us play casually and a few others are hardcore splashdashing, R-cancelling Melee heads who will probably destroy us with their awkward looking combos.

It's amazing this mod exists and so many people are into it, but it seems primarily aimed at people who hated Brawl. I liked Brawl.

Edited by Guy

I was able to get the previous version of this running, but the newest version doesn't want to play... Brawl.

horatio.jpg

I'd be way more keen to get this working if the online was more reliable and people I know still played with any regularity. We keep discussing getting a copy of this up and running at work, but half of us play casually and a few others are hardcore splashdashing, R-cancelling Melee heads who will probably destroy us with their awkward looking combos.

It's amazing this mod exists and so many people are into it, but it seems primarily aimed at people who hated Brawl. I liked Brawl.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of Brawl lovers who love this mod :) I mean, it's Smash after all!

For what it's worth, I know a lot of Brawl lovers who love this mod :) I mean, it's Smash after all!

Oh yeah, definitely. Feedback from everyone seems super positive.

I still really want to play it for the reintroduced and revised characters. There's also the fact Brawl is way slower than Melee and if the speed is boosted up that'd be another reason to get this working.

Edited by Guy

Oh yeah, definitely. Feedback from everyone seem super positive.

I still really want to play it for the reintroduced and revised characters. There's also the fact Brawl is way slower than Melee and if the speed is boosted up that'd be another reason to get this working.

Once my exams are over in a few weeks I'm going to try and get it working too (potentially on Dolphin but if I can find my NTSC brawl copy, i'll do it on the Wii). I'm really looking forward to experimenting with some of the new movesets the characters have...Ivysaur's solarbeam looks fantastic but I still have no idea how it charges :heh:

At least it makes the wait for Smash 4 easier :)

Spent half the day trying to hack my Wii properly to get stuff working right on it, think I might almost be there...and now I should be going to bed as I've got work early in the morning!

However I'm gonna try just a little bit more and see if I get it running...*will probably regret this in the morning*

I probably had the same problems you were having BUT...after a very long Saturday I got it working!

Then I went to bed where I am now. So I haven't really checked it out much.

However if you're still interested then hit me up on the PM and I'll do my best to help you out!

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Cheers Rummy. Was running it off HDD. Have all relevant CMIOS etc. mods running on our original Wii.

Our black Wii (newer version for the family) hasn't been touched soI'll keep tinkering with the launch Wii. I Will try the NTSC Disk first as have both PAL and NTSC versions of the game so have plenty of options.

When trying through USB Loader GX it was giving me save data errors in the loader, before launch. I'd deleted the SD content in stage maker (including originals too) but this was a loader issue. Saw some guy asking about it on another site but the replies weren't related. As I say, I'll try again at some point and let you know.

In the meantime, impressions please! :)

Sign in to follow this