NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

Really can't wait for this game. I wonder if we'll be able to co-ordinate where we are to our friends and they can attempt to hyperdrive there.

The idea that every planet is procedurally generated so they load the same for everyone, as opposed to each planet being stored in the cloud as data once discovered, really surprised me. Such a clever way of doing it.

Really can't wait for this game. I wonder if we'll be able to co-ordinate where we are to our friends and they can attempt to hyperdrive there.

They've said you'll be able to see where your friends are on the galactic map, which is very cool.

I watched the video this morning of the concert with 65Daysofstatic playing along to the footage of the game. It really was excellent. :D

They're doing well to keep tight-lipped about this game. I just hope that it's not too far away. End of 2015 would be brilliant.

Sony Treating PS4 No Man's Sky Like a First-Party Game

"We are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it."

Sony has pledged to "put the full weight of PlayStation" behind upcoming ambitious indie game No Man's Sky as part of the company's effort to treat the PlayStation 4 title like a first-party game, even if it does come to other platforms later.

"No Man's Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios," Sony UK managing director Fergal Gara told MCV. "We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release program as if we had made it."

"We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it," he added. "If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform."

No Man's Sky is a timed-exclusive for PS4, launching first on Sony's new console before coming to PC later down the road. The game is due out later this year for PS4, while a release date for the PC edition has not been announced. It remains to be seen if developer Hello Games will also bring the game to Xbox One.

For its part, Microsoft has said that it "would love" to see No Man's Sky come to Xbox One.

It wouldn't be the first time that Sony treats a multiplatform title like a first-party game, as the company did the same with Bungie's shooter Destiny.

Also in the interview, Gara reveals that Sony may end up releasing a boxed version of No Man's Sky, though this has not been confirmed.

“It is more about making the right decision for the right title at the right time," he explained. “It is entirely possible that we will release some of these games together, digitally and physically, or one after another, but it will be decided on a title-by-title basis."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-treating-ps4-no-man-s-sky-like-a-first-party-/1100-6427333/

It was both an incredible and a very tame, unspectacular showing...

The game would really benefit from a 30 minute gameplay + commentary video.

It was both an incredible and a very tame, unspectacular showing...

The game would really benefit from a 30 minute gameplay + commentary video.

Looks no different to what was shown before. Looks boring and what is the actual aim of the game? No multiplayer either.

I guess if someone just wants to explore to their hearts content it could be interesting but there is only so much one can do of that. The graphics don't look all that either.

I think that guy really struggled to get across what the game is and what you need to do. I get the impression it sounds fantastic on paper but not so good once executed.

Looks boring and what is the actual aim of the game? No multiplayer either.

The actual aim: Exploration. It has been advertised from the beginning. Then there is space-based fights, resource gathering (and possibly crafting), surviving in unforgiving environments of planets and - possibly the coolest aspect of exploration - sharing your discoveries (which is really simple with the Share button).

There is supposed to be 'traditional multiplayer' but the developers are still very secretive about it.

Meeting other's in the 'main game' is rather unlikely, given the scope of the game.

I guess if someone just wants to explore to their hearts content it could be interesting but there is only so much one can do of that. The graphics don't look all that either.

Yeah, if you don't like exploration this game is probably not for you.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it. And the graphics are pretty cool. :p

This is not a "defending the game"-post but rather an attempt to explain to you to what No Man's Sky is likely shaping up to be.

Honestly can't wait for this, it looks amazing. It's like this and The Tomorrow Children are capturing that feeling of exploration in different ways. Such a great time to be a gamer. :D

It has been confirmed you can bump into other people, I think.

Really surprised this managed to basically look and play exactly like its renders. Really impressive. Can't wait.If we get a release by the end of the year - which I doubt - I'll not mind the lack of other first-party games.

The actual aim: Exploration. It has been advertised from the beginning. Then there is space-based fights, resource gathering (and possibly crafting), surviving in unforgiving environments of planets and - possibly the coolest aspect of exploration - sharing your discoveries (which is really simple with the Share button).

There is supposed to be 'traditional multiplayer' but the developers are still very secretive about it.

Meeting other's in the 'main game' is rather unlikely, given the scope of the game.

Yeah, if you don't like exploration this game is probably not for you.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it. And the graphics are pretty cool. :p

This is not a "defending the game"-post but rather an attempt to explain to you to what No Man's Sky is likely shaping up to be.

Maybe so but man I think they have dropped the ball. The reaction was so muted and I don't think they have shown enough or explained enough to draw people in.

The random planet he went to looked so similar to one we have seen before other than the colours.

Maybe so but man I think they have dropped the ball. The reaction was so muted and I don't think they have shown enough or explained enough to draw people in.

I got the impression that 5 minutes weren't enough time for Sean to explain even the core aspects of the game...

He said at the end: "Trading, fighting, exploring, survival." That's pretty sweet, actually.

The reaction was muted because the presentation wasn't the "all-out HERE IS THE GAME"-showing. It was a humble attempt to try to get across the game's scope.

No Man's Sky needs a longer gameplay video with commentary throughout.

The random planet he went to looked so similar to one we have seen before other than the colours.

Well, we've only seen a tiny portion of that planet. ;)

I think for a development team of 10 people this game is shaping up to be something incredible :)

Edit: Man, now I do sound like I'm defending the game :laughing:

Edited by drahkon

If you're playing the game online then you are playing multiplayer. But as with a real universe the chances of bumping into anyone are pretty slim.

They're keeping most of the game secret, as they want players to experience things for themselves.

Coming to PC as well.

That was known from the beginning :p

The most important news is that the PC and PS4 version will release at the same time.

That was known from the beginning :p

I dont think that was ever actually announced

I dont think that was ever actually announced

Really? Thought I read somewhere that it was s "out on PS4 first" and "coming to PC later".

Apparently I'm mistaken, though :D

We've known for a long time it was coming to PC as well. Sean has said as much during interviews. There's speculation at the moment as to whether they'll just be announcing the release dates for both platforms at the same time, not necessarily releasing them at the same time.

EDIT: They're both coming out at the same time. Confirmed by HelloGames on twitter!

Edited by somme

Who do I have to kill just to get a release date for it? Because I'll do it, so help me god I will.

I'm positive they will announce the date via the PlayStation Livestream on 18th at 8pm UK time. If not, maybe on Paris Game Show or Tokyo Game Show.

Who do I have to kill just to get a release date for it? Because I'll do it, so help me god I will.

haha I would kill millions to get it now!

But yeah on twitter they said the PC and PS4 releases would be simaltaneous, but I just saw in a live interview Sean said they'd be a close together as possible. So who knows.

He also was very wary of giving any idea about a release date. I reckon it's going to be one of those games that has a release date announced not long before it comes out.

He said they were going to announce a release date yesterday but "for reasons out of their control" he didn't. So who knows what that means.

Haha that guy in the suit on the left has no sense of wonder!

Watch this video, it's awesome :D

The two guys in the middle were losing it with the one on the left. Hilarious to watch. :D