NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

I'm tempted by this, but so far it looks like another procedurally generated/crafting/no story/survival game, but on a huge scale. Games like that always seem like a great environment/engine, with very little actual game. I'm hoping this is different, but I don't want to waste £40ish if it's just another Minecraft clone.

Think I'll wait for the reviews and see if there's substance to it, at least in terms of what I look for in games.

@Fierce_LiNk - tell me why I need this game in my life. I've somehow just avoided everything to do with it, except knowing that it's got some hype behind it and there's something about exploration and hoping to name all the things me and my friends find after our mate Darren. That is literally the full extent of my knowledge for this.

@Rummy

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Runmy. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.[/Quote]

I emphasise the 5 year mission because in 5 years if you visited a new planet every second you would see a tiny amount of the game. 158,000,000 ish second in 5 years. 18 quintillion planets to explore.

Name every new discovery you make in the hope that one day, maybe 20 years down the line, someone will stumble across your path through the universe and find "Teh Rummy Haxoor Prime".

@Fierce_LiNk - tell me why I need this game in my life. I've somehow just avoided everything to do with it, except knowing that it's got some hype behind it and there's something about exploration and hoping to name all the things me and my friends find after our mate Darren. That is literally the full extent of my knowledge for this.

The notable or most striking feature of this game is the scale. Due to the way that the game works, there are countless numbers of planets in the game. Different star systems and the planets are all planet sized. So, if you were to walk in one direction, it would take you a very long time to walk around the entirety of the planet.

This game is a "choose your own adventure" type of game. You might want to be an explorer. So, you'd be the type of person who wants to go out there and catalogue all of the different planets, alien species, etc that you find. You might want to be a trader, so you'd gather resources and trade them in for credits. You can be a fighter and just want to create anarchy.

That's what the core of the game is. You have to be fairly open minded in order to get the most from this, imo. I think having a love for space and classic science-fiction would help.

The one thing to remember is that the team behind this is small. Tiny, even. Even for an indie. So, what they've created (what we've seen this far) is nothing short of incredible. There are questions that will exist about the depth of the game. In truth, it's not going to have the tremendous amount of depth that something like a Zelda game or another RPG series will have. It won't have the gun mechanics of something like Halo. It won't have the fighter pilot options of something like Rogue Leader. But, it's not trying to be any of those. It's the vision of a small team who want to give you the feeling of what it's like to land on a random planet, catalogue what could be there, run from the dangerous wildlife and gather as many resources as you can before you die. In that respect, I think it'll succeed.

I'm still waiting for reviews or at least a few more impressions. The timing of the release is terrible for me personally. I would have kept my preorder had they not shifted the date. I know @drahkon is in the same boat as me.

I would have kept my preorder had they not shifted the date. I know @drahkon is in the same boat as me.

Yup, if I had a job I'd get it, but I'm a student with no money to spare so it'll have to wait. unless Gamestop will do that fucking offer I mentioned...COME ON. Damn that delay :D

I really want to play it, though. :(

Yup, if I had a job I'd get it, but I'm a student with no money to spare so it'll have to wait. unless Gamestop will do that fucking offer I mentioned...COME ON. Damn that delay :D

I really want to play it, though. :(

I'm literally sat here getting all of my resources ready for the year. So, I hope I won't have to come home and do an awful lot over the next few months...Maybe that'll hopefully free up some NMS time.

I do still want it, quite badly now, ahaha.

I do still want it, quite badly now, ahaha.

Who doesn't :D

This could be the game I've been dreaming about since I've played my first video game (which was Super Mario Land, by the way). An almost endless universe to explore with a spaceship. That's literally all I ever wanted from a game since I was 5 years old.

And no matter how bad/good the NMS will be...the dream will most likely come true.

Who doesn't :D

This could be the game I've been dreaming about since I've played my first video game (which was Super Mario Land, by the way). An almost endless universe to explore with a spaceship. That's literally all I ever wanted from a game since I was 5 years old.

And no matter how bad/good the NMS will be...the dream will most likely come true.

I just want to find a planet that I like and chill there for a bit. Before blasting off into space and cruising before finding another that takes my eye.

I've heard talk of maybe they'll add more features in the future. I wonder how realistic that is. Given that they've spent so much time on this game already, I can't imagine that they'll want to move onto something else too quickly. Who knows.

I just want to find a planet that I like and chill there for a bit.

I know exactly what I will do: Explore the shit out of the planet I start on (that is, if you start on a planet). Depending on how much I can do with the resources there that could end up taking 1 hour or possibly 600 hours :laughing:

I NEED THIS.

Given that they've spent so much time on this game already, I can't imagine that they'll want to move onto something else too quickly.

I think the first thing they'll do is collect feedback from the community and most likely fix bugs/glitches/etc. I doubt they'll start working on new stuff this year.

Sean has said they're already working on the first update. And they've said they'll continue to add free updates, all the while listening to community feedback. Don't think they're gonna jump ship on the game for quite a while.

And as @drahkon said this is a game I've been waiting for since I was a kid. An almost limitless universe to explore. Just over 9 days!

Don't know how well it will review, but I'll make a few spoiler-free posts about what I think.

These next nine days are going to pass very slowly.

I wonder how long it will take to reach the centre of the galaxy on a typical playthrough. In Elite Dangerous which is modelled after the actual Milky Way it would take about 2000 hyperspace jumps which I hope to do sometime

Edited by Ronnie

According to the guy who got the game already said we way overhyped the game that we need to reduce our expectation of the game.

According to the guy who got the game already said we way overhyped the game that we need to reduce our expectation of the game.

Yeah it's odd. He seemed to really love it to begin with and then rushed through it. To be fair I'd probably go off something I played for 30 hours straight. That amount of time playing something without a break could certainly put you off for a bit.

My only expectation, or want, was to be able to take off from a planet, see a star in the sky and go there. And I can do that. Anything else is just gravy!

Edited by somme

My only expectation, or want, was to be able to take off from a planet, see a star in sky and go there. And I can do that. Anything else is just gravy!

Same here. I just want to have some fun.

Same here. I just want to have some fun.

Yeah I think we'll be fine.

Some people, for whatever reason, seem to have assumed this is basically Destiny but with a universe-sized playground.

Sounds like a good idea

Pretty sure I won't be disappointed.

I never expected more than what @somme described: get into my spaceship and fly to a planet I see in the sky (one of my biggest dreams, actually...and I'm not talking about a video game. I actually would love to explore the universe...NMS is probably as close as I will ever get :D)

I know there's more gameplay to it and I think that everything else besides exploration is an added bonus :)

But I'm sure that a lot of people will be disappointed. I think it's mostly because the devs decided not to show a lot (understandably) and gamers created a game in their head that won't be NMS.

As soon as I get the game, I'll put in the disc, open Spotify, let my Space playlist blast through my speakers and enjoy the ride. : peace:

Pretty sure I won't be disappointed.

I never expected more than what @somme described: get into my spaceship and fly to a planet I see in the sky (one of my biggest dreams, actually...and I'm not talking about a video game. I actually would love to explore the universe...NMS is probably as close as I will ever get :D)

I know there's more gameplay to it and I think that everything else besides exploration is an added bonus :)

But I'm sure that a lot of people will be disappointed. I think it's mostly because the devs decided not to show a lot (understandably) and gamers created a game in their head that won't be NMS.

As soon as I get the game, I'll put in the disc, open Spotify, let my Space playlist blast through my speakers and enjoy the ride. : peace:

You should give that procedurally generated soundtrack a go first, it's meant to be amazing - even if it is different for everyone!

EDIT: Here's the trophy list, though Gaf warned there may be slight spoilers so look at your own peril!

No Man's Sky Trophies.

Edited by somme

You should give that procedurally generated soundtrack a go first, it's meant to be amazing - even if it is different for everyone!

Will do eventually. :)

Just clicked that link to see if there's a Platinum. And there is :D : peace:

Interesting. A mod got information from a group of people who don't want to be named suggested that guy might have brought a stolen demo game from somewhere hence the bugs and free warp drive exploit.

Interesting. A mod got information from a group of people who don't want to be named suggested that guy might have brought a stolen demo game from somewhere hence the bugs and free warp drive exploit.

Whether it's a demo copy or not Hello Games will have had almost a month to work on a day one patch by the time of release. :)

I hope they patch his copy so there's no hyper drive and you fly in real time.

I hope they patch every copy so rather than normal textures, you just get pictures of Sean's face on everything.

And all the planets are Sean's head.

And Sean comes to your house and makes you a creme brulee.

So, erm... when is this actually out for PS4 in UK? I keep hearing 9th, but everywhere seems to say 10th. I'm confused... :wtf: