NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

Next 14 days are gonna pass even slower than the last week. On the one hand it's perfect being off uni until October as I'll have loads of time to play the game but having not much planned until NMS makes it quite a difficult wait indeed!

I'm glad the trailers have shown little. They've introduced a few little tidbits but kept a lot of mystery so we can explore ourselves, which is exactly what they wanted all along.

Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype.

And I'm on holiday when it's released and won't be able to play till August 23rd!!!

Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hype.

And I'm on holiday when it's released and won't be able to play till August 23rd!!!

That's such cruel. Where are you going on holiday?

When the originally announced June 21st as the release I was gutted as I was going on holiday then. Sorta glad they delayed it then as my holiday would have been tainted with me wanting to go home already!

I listened to an interesting opinion on the PSRUK podcast the other week which they've handily posted on YouTube.

That's such cruel. Where are you going on holiday?

When the originally announced June 21st as the release I was gutted as I was going on holiday then. Sorta glad they delayed it then as my holiday would have been tainted with me wanting to go home already!

I'm going to Florida, and I'm really excited as Iv never been before but I wish I could have gone in July lol!

All I've heard was "I don't like what the game seems to be about so it will get 7-8/10 reviews and I won't accept anything higher because with that kind of hype it shouldn't get them" ::shrug:

The discussions about reviews in general was ok, I guess.

Was chatting with a mate today (haven't seen us in ages) and he straight up asked me: Dude, what do you think of NMS?

My answer: "No matter what, I will buy it eventually, and I will play it because it seems to be everything I've ever wanted from a video game as a child. If it turns out to be shite I'll sell it. If it turns out to be incredible I will be the happiest gamer on earth."

He then said to me: "Same here. The first time I've played a video game I wanted something like NMS to see the light of day and I can't wait to experience what it's like."

Edited by drahkon

I've got severe cravings for this and am super fucking tempted to put my preorder back on. Gah. Whyyyyyy didn't they release it in June? It should have been my summer game!

Eagerly waiting for the impressions and reviews to come in. If it lives up to it, then it's back ON.

Whyyyyyy didn't they release it in June? It should have been my summer game!

They want to polish the game further cos they were not satisfied enough to release it at the time. Plus August is the last month of summer so it's still will be your summer game. :P

Also Sky were trying to sue them, which could have been a factor in the delay:

No Man's Sky developer Hello Games has revealed a three-year long lawsuit brought by broadcasting giant Sky.

The legal dispute, over the use of 'Sky' in the game's name, has only come to light now it has been concluded.

"We finally settled with Sky (they own the word 'Sky')," Hello Games boss Sean Murray revealed on Twitter over the weekend.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-20-no-mans-sky-studio-settles-secret-stupid-three-year-sky-lawsuit

The game has already gotten to stores and some people have a copy. I won't be posting any spoilers here though, as hopefully I won't bump into any. Bet those who have it early are really going to make a race for the centre.

The game is out in the world and there are some impressions already on GAF:

My quick impressions

1. Don't expect mind-blowing graphics out the box

2. Don't expect to take off flying when the game starts. Must put in work

3. Game was extremely smooth. No frame rate issues at all

4. Expect to possibly not fire up another game for a while. I could tell in my short time that this game is gonna destroy some relationships and happy homes.

Again I apologize for bringing the hype this evening. I should of just kept it to myself but no way in hell did I expect this kind of offer.

Someone also started streaming the game, but got banned shortly afterwards. Anyway, here are some impressions from a GAFer who saw the stream:

"I saw him literally just looking at some blue grass and around a little. Then he went into the menu and I heard the menu sounds which were great. I caught glimpses of new stuff in the menus but turned away from that before I could take them in. But it was the music and those sound effects that set that 15 seconds apart from all the other gameplay demos we've seen so far. That 15 seconds had more atmosphere than every single demo strung together. I felt as if Sean really has been holding back."

e5acc22bba252e3c95f75f479d43645b.jpg

52ba20790965a2a1489abdb362179c24.jpg

kwVwYYG.jpg

CoaVzz8UkAYRwcN.jpg:large

And here's a nice image showing the different colours from NMS trailers:

qAGmZoP.jpg

Dust storm!:

qggrW36.gif

It seems mental to me that they're so bothered that they've stopped the guy from streaming it. If it was something like 'Uncharted 4' I could understand because there would be plot spoilers that the developers wouldn't want out in the open, but with something like this where everyones experience will be so unique you'd think they'd want people to see it, it seems like it was all pretty positive too so would only have helped sell the game to people who were torn about getting it day one.

It seems mental to me that they're so bothered that they've stopped the guy from streaming it. If it was something like 'Uncharted 4' I could understand because there would be plot spoilers that the developers wouldn't want out in the open, but with something like this where everyones experience will be so unique you'd think they'd want people to see it, it seems like it was all pretty positive too so would only have helped sell the game to people who were torn about getting it day one.

Maybe there are some surprises/mechanics/stuff that they want people to experience for themselves, or at least when it's hit the street date. I can understand it.

Maybe there are some surprises/mechanics/stuff that they want people to experience for themselves, or at least when it's hit the street date. I can understand it.

I can understand them being pissed off that a retailer broke the release, but now that its out in the world it's going to be a losing battle trying to keep it under wraps.

They might have deals in place with the media for certain events/streaming things just before launch.

Or maybe they just thought we waited long enough we can wait a wee more :heh:

Sean Murray just tweeted this:

[tweet]759111898675679232[/tweet]

I've now had to leave the GAF NMS thread. Some guy is uploading videos of the intro and everything. All I read before I left was that the opening was "amazing" and it runs smoothly at 60fps. (The guy also paid $1250 for his copy)

The next 11 days are going to go so slowly, knowing that other people are playing it.

Edited by somme

Very sad for Sean, he must be pulling his hair out. Definitely time to go blackout until release. This is the definition of a spoiler-free game to experience.

Edited by Ronnie

Very sad for Sean, he must be pulling his hair out. Definitely time to go blackout until release. This is the definition of a spoiler-free game to experience.

Yeah I feel for the guy. First he gets death threats over a six week delay, all the while Sky are trying to sue the company, then there was the flooding of their building and now this. It's not been an easy ride for them.

But yeah I agree about going blackout. Whilst all the planets people explore may be unique, the extra game mechanics they haven't unveiled yet would be great to experience and find out first hand.

Just read the comments on reddit that it made more people preordered the game because of that gameplay they saw lol. Gonna avoid that subreddit until the day I get my copy. Good luck with the wait game. :(

I can understand them being pissed off that a retailer broke the release, but now that its out in the world it's going to be a losing battle trying to keep it under wraps.

I eat my words, I didn't realise that it was just the one guy who had the game and he seems to have been disappointed to have upset Sean Murray and has stopped uploading videos, so I guess the pressure worked in this instance!

Apparently he paid £1300 for a copy too and it was likely stolen, absolutely mental. Why spend so much money when you just need to wait a couple of weeks?

Just read the comments on reddit that it made more people preordered the game because of that gameplay they saw lol.

That's good news. A lot of people were on the fence - don't think a lot of people can take "mystery" these days.

Hopefully reviews will be good, I can imagine them being fairly split, with people who "get" it and people who don't.

I eat my words, I didn't realise that it was just the one guy who had the game and he seems to have been disappointed to have upset Sean Murray and has stopped uploading videos, so I guess the pressure worked in this instance!

Apparently he paid £1300 for a copy too and it was likely stolen, absolutely mental. Why spend so much money when you just need to wait a couple of weeks?

That is a lot of money to spend to upset Sean Murray. Glad he stopped though.

EDIT: Saw this in the Gaf "non-spoiler" thread:

There just seemed so much to do.

The general consensus from the 26 minute video that guy uploaded is that the game looks great fun and oozes creativity.

And from the guy who uploaded the video:

There are more spoilers than you probably realize with this game. I'm only a couple hours in, barely touched a few planets and already I've had many FUCK YEAH moments. In the one hand, I'd love to share those with you - but in the other hand, Sean is right... why not just wait and experience them first hand?
Edited by somme

Yeah I feel for the guy. First he gets death threats over a six week delay, all the while Sky are trying to sue the company, then there was the flooding of their building and now this. It's not been an easy ride for them.

Mildly annoyed that this is out of chronological order :heh:

Mildly annoyed that this is out of chronological order :heh:

Haha I wrote them as I remembered them. ;)

EDIT:

From the guy playing the game:

FWIW - just had my official first shit-your-pants cool moment. At least for me.

They weren't kidding with secrets in this, some of this shit is sick guys. Avoid big spoilers you won't regret it.

I never doubted Sean and co. but it's nice to know the game is living up to expectations.

Edited by somme