NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

I'm just not impressed by the stat of how many planets are in the game, it's meaningless. The devs of Elite Dangerous modeled their game on of a 1:1 scale of the Milky Way, the same number of stars as there are in our galaxy, and so that made sense and gave some meaning to the huge scope.

This just feels like someone thought adding a few extra zeros at the end would impress people.

You said you don't think people grasp just how big the game is, I don't this we should be measuring the size of the game by the amount of procedurally generated worlds (that only get calculated if someone visits them). Sure that's the size of the sandbox, but I'm more interested in the actual interactive content.

Yeah well that's all well and good but even if the game was smaller, the rest of the game won't change, so why not make it as big as possible? 1 quintillion, 18 quintillion, doesn't really matter. It's big, very big. Personally I love the idea of adventuring through an almost infinite universe. Knowing it's that big creates a bigger sense of awe. I am the lone explorer. I will be discovering things no one else will ever see.

I don't this we should be measuring the size of the game by the amount of procedurally generated worlds (that only get calculated if someone visits them).

I don't even understand that part. ^

You have to remember that whole game is made up of mathematical codes for the procedurally generated universe. They are using a Maximum Integer Limit code "_UI64_MAX" (Maximum value for a variable of type unsigned __int64) which generates this number 18446744073709551615.

Yes there are 18446744073709551615 planets in NMS. :)

Gives you a sense of the sort of planet size we could be dealing with. Not sure how different the planets are in size yet.

vfRNdia.jpg

TU0PAz7.jpg

VK2LlcB.jpg

5ZASGpG.jpg

nQwGlqB.jpg

BIrm1g1.jpg

QWZSywK.jpg

9MR4d9m.jpg

XlIYTxr.jpg

Pxo3yCB.jpg

uP76aEE.jpg

nrONaFk.jpg

DX7tQ1j.jpg

Edited by somme

Yeah well that's all well and good but even if the game was smaller, the rest of the game won't change, so why not make it as big as possible? 1 quintillion, 18 quintillion, doesn't really matter. It's big, very big. Personally I love the idea of adventuring through an almost infinite universe. Knowing it's that big creates a bigger sense of awe. I am the lone explorer. I will be discovering things no one else will ever see.

I don't even understand that part. ^

Because one of the most exciting aspects of the game, and the one they were pushing the most early on, was how you could name planets, creatures etc when you discover them, and in turn come across people's planets and discoveries. Pretty pointless to name things every time if there's extremely low odds of either event happening.

I understand what Ronnie is saying, and agree to some level. Size of the universe is fine, it's kind of cool, but it doesn't actually mean anything. I always think that the land and dungeons that seemed to most randomly-generated in a game like Skyrim are always the most souless / tedious parts. I really don't think that what's effectively an infinite combination of random sliders is ultimately awe inspiring. Seriously, Age of Empires was randomly generating maps twenty years ago!

I think serious props go to the art director on the game - I can't see anyone being as hyped as they are about exploration if the game didn't look so drop dead gorgeous. The breadth of colours for one thing adds a lot to the sense of variety.

Ultimately I'm with Daft - extremely skeptical that it'll amount to much, but truely hoping they knock it out of the park all the same..

Edit: Just seen the above post - all very well but again, it begs the question, so what? From the gameplay demos, the terrain across one planet doesn't seem to change very much, and given you can't build on or otherwise interact with the plan I can't see people bothering to explore much more than the immediate surrounds of each planet when they land.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Because one of the most exciting aspects of the game, and the one they were pushing the most early on, was how you could name planets, creatures etc when you discover them, and in turn come across people's planets and discoveries. Pretty pointless to name things every time if there's extremely low odds of either event happening.

I understand what Ronnie is saying, and agree to some level. Size of the universe is fine, it's kind of cool, but it doesn't actually mean anything. I always think that the land and dungeons that seemed to most randomly-generated in a game like Skyrim are always the most souless / tedious parts. I really don't think that what's effectively an infinite combination of random sliders is ultimately awe inspiring. Seriously, Age of Empires was randomly generating maps twenty years ago!

I think serious props go to the art director on the game - I can't see anyone being as hyped as they are about exploration if the game didn't look so drop dead gorgeous. The breadth of colours for one thing adds a lot to the sense of variety.

Ultimately I'm with Daft - extremely skeptical that it'll amount to much, but truely hoping they knock it out of the park all the same..

Edit: Just seen the above post - all very well but again, it begs the question, so what? From the gameplay demos, the terrain across one planet doesn't seem to change very much, and given you can't build on or otherwise interact with the plan I can't see people bothering to explore much more than the immediate surrounds of each planet when they land.

Your discoveries, if you choose to upload them, will be logged and seen by others.

Personally I think the vastness of the game does work to its advantage. As a space buff, who is really into cosmology, astronomy, all of it, this is this is just awe-inspiring. Being that big makes it feel more real, more like actual space. Vast, and lonely.

If you're a sci-fi fan, of all of its genres, this really is like a dream come true.

And journalists who had hands on experience with the game in May were, not that convinced when going in, but were more than convinced after playing it.

One other way the vastness could work to their advantage. I believe they plan on supporting this with adds on/updates etc for a while (i.e. not just drop and run). Having a vast world means people can jump in later and not find themselves miles behind everyone else and not being able claim any planets of their own.

It's nice not feeling like you have to be there at launch to get the full advantage.

One other way the vastness could work to their advantage. I believe they plan on supporting this with adds on/updates etc for a while (i.e. not just drop and run). Having a vast world means people can jump in later and not find themselves miles behind everyone else and not being able claim any planets of their own.

It's nice not feeling like you have to be there at launch to get the full advantage.

One of the Hello Games devs mentioned that they just started working on the first update for the game.

One of the Hello Games devs mentioned that they just started working on the first update for the game.

They're adding Gwent

Sean said they want to support the game with free updates for the next few years.

This is a year-old interview but will be interesting to those newly introduced to the game and those who were interested but may have forgotten things that will be in the game.

Even thought it's a year old I should stress that Sean and the team and only ever publicised and promised game elements or mechanics that will end up in the final version. They withheld the inclusion of NPC's for ages because they didn't want to over-promise, but they're there.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ask-sean-murray-anything-about-no-mans-sky?page=1

I do love the idea of a "sizeable" periodic table. Where different elements are used for crafting and like when Minecraft was first released, they won't tell you what element combinations necessarily make.

A quote from GAF, which is originally a quote from reddit:

So it wasn’t really until about two weeks ago, when No Man’s Sky was I guess “finished,” it was the day after that we actually got to play for about six hours, and that was just amazing. It was amazing. Because you know, we’ve been waiting for this just the same as everybody else, and well I’m certainly willing to say that it is so good.

It’s really good.

And I understand that there’s maybe this confusion out there about what you actually have to do in the game, but it’s great and I don’t think people are going to be disappointed.

Love the upgrade features for the multitool like widebeam adapator for simultaneous mining. Also spherical space station and weird look spaceship that look like a submarine. One of those plants look like Jack Skellington's head lol.

A quote from GAF, which is originally a quote from reddit:

A quote... from who? A developer? :p

Not sure. Reviewer maybe.

Some UK retailers already got the hard copy games. Won't be surprised if some broken the street release date.

Some UK retailers already got the hard copy games. Won't be surprised if some broken the street release date.

At least we know it's finally on its way. :D

14 quintilian planets and these two have the exact same cloud pattern?

CoG80VaUMAEpC-j.jpg

Not sure. Reviewer maybe.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/07/21/no-mans-sky-interview-making-music-for-an-infinite-universe-with-65daysofstatics-joe-shrewsbury/

Not far off - one of the band members who scored the soundtrack. So, fair to say they might be inclined to say it's alright!

Pretty sure that it's still a demo build game cos other attendees went to the same planets.

Edited by DriftKaiser

CoG80VaUMAEpC-j.jpg

Yeah that's a demo build at a Japanese event. They won't be playing the final build.

Really hoping Gamestop will have a 9.99€ offer for No Man's Sky...I'd love to trade in This War of Mine and Bloodborne and only pay 9.99€ for NMS. I could afford this even without a job right now (especially if I donate blood plasma and get 16€ for that :D).

But even if there won't be an offer I won't be sad. My hype is still gone.

I do look forward to playing this eventually, though.

CoG80VaUMAEpC-j.jpg

Coincidence is a hell of a thing ;)

I actually wonder how much procgen they turn off for demos as to ensure they can showcase certain things...