NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

Not quite sure how this 'looks like an indie game', but ok.

Well, it is an indie game.

Not quite sure how this 'looks like an indie game', but ok.

Well, it is an indie game.

Not quite sure how this 'looks like an indie game', but ok. Also why does it matter and why should that suggest a lower cost?

I think it'll be scant on content and features when it is released. It looks like one of those games that will be worth getting after a year of patching and additions, including PSVR support.

Pretty much exactly like Drive Club.

Which turned into a great game but by no means started as one.

Not quite sure how this 'looks like an indie game', but ok. Also why does it matter and why should that suggest a lower cost?

I think it'll be scant on content and features when it is released. It looks like one of those games that will be worth getting after a year of patching and additions, including PSVR support.

Pretty much exactly like Drive Club.

Which turned into a great game but by no means started as one.

They've got a lot more features than they've revealed, which they've said multiple times. They just want people to find out stuff for themselves, rather than be shown everything beforehand. It's a game about exploration, in every sense.

They've got a lot more features than they've revealed, which they've said multiple times. They just want people to find out stuff for themselves, rather than be shown everything beforehand. It's a game about exploration, in every sense.

Without being explicit...I've heard middling things about it.

So at the very least, I recommend anyone excited for this temper their expectations a bit. I will almost certainly be getting it at a later date, though.

Without being explicit...I've heard middling things about it.

So at the very least, I recommend anyone excited for this temper their expectations a bit. I will almost certainly be getting it at a later date, though.

I just want to explore. Anything on top of that is just icing.

I just want to explore. Anything on top of that is just icing.

Hello Game just completed coding the game today. Woot!

Fantastic news! :D

Also, it's well worth checking out the article on Reddit for the comments alone. :D

Hello Game just completed coding the game today. Woot!

Fantastic news! :D

Also, it's well worth checking out the article on Reddit for the comments alone. :D

Stole this nice little bit of maths stolen from Gaf:

Let's say 6 million people buy the game, and they each travel to 200 planets (I think that's generous). That's 1,200,000,000 planets or 0.00000000006% of the total.

A lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp just how big this game is.

And I caved and watched the last IGN First videos, the ones from April, and the game looks a lot deeper than I thought. The crafting system looks good fun.

I'm really interested to see what the reaction to this is. I don't yet have a PS4 so don't really have a vested interest in the game or any expectations for it so it's going to be great to read the reviews and reaction from the media and you guys.

The numbers for it are just bizarre. What I don't quite understand is that it's a procedurally generated game, but everyones game exists in the same universe, so I don't quite understand how it all joins together. Do you have to always be online when playing the game? Will the game exist entirely on Hello Games' servers?

I'm really interested to see what the reaction to this is. I don't yet have a PS4 so don't really have a vested interest in the game or any expectations for it so it's going to be great to read the reviews and reaction from the media and you guys.

The numbers for it are just bizarre. What I don't quite understand is that it's a procedurally generated game, but everyones game exists in the same universe, so I don't quite understand how it all joins together. Do you have to always be online when playing the game? Will the game exist entirely on Hello Games' servers?

The universe is on the disc, or download. It's all maths. The download size is only around 6gb-10gb and that's mostly music.

Everyone exists in the same universe. It's just so vast people will probably never meet, though Sean has said you could. The universe is the same for everyone, due to maths and algorithms, but only generates when a player is nearby.

New trailer (One of four coming before release):

Edited by somme

The universe is on the disc, or download. It's all maths. The download size is only around 6gb-10gb and that's mostly music.

Everyone exists in the same universe. It's just so vast people will probably never meet, though Sean has said you could. The universe is the same for everyone, due to maths and algorithms, but only generates when a player is nearby.

New trailer (One of four coming before release):

But have they mentioned how that works though? Has the universe just been procedurally generated at Hello Games and the 6gb of data contains the entire thing, or does the disc simply contain the parameters and assets for the planets and universe which is then generated when someone plays the game?

If it's the latter, then how can the universe be the same for everyone if its procedurally generated individually on every players machine once they boot the game up for the first time?

And if it's the former 6gb seems like far too little data to map out the quintillions of planets so would surely require connection to the games servers.

Here's a video that explains it:

Edited by somme

A lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp just how big this game is.

My first reaction is, meh? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for this game, but I think they went OTT on the scale of this universe. It's just pointless to make it that large. Bigger doesn't mean better.

My first reaction is, meh? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for this game, but I think they went OTT on the scale of this universe. It's just pointless to make it that large. Bigger doesn't mean better.

Well no, but even if it was half the size or even 99% smaller the game itself wouldn't be different. So don't see how making it smaller would help either?

They're creating a sense of scale to help realise how small we are, how big the universe is and how much adventure there is out there.

The fact it's so big we can never see it all is just as awe-inspiring as the real universe. But maybe you can't see that?