NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

There'll be "Let's Play" and "discovery" videos on this for years I'd wager. Even if it did get lost I think it could sell consistently for quite a few years.

I generally like the look of the game, I may buy this at some point for PC.

Although I don't like the sense of scale / distances. I know the game isn't going for "realistic", but I find it immersion breaking if flying through the atmosphere to reach the surface takes like, 5 seconds, and reaching other planets also doesn't take long.

As long as the visuals are nice (and they are), I don't mind flying through clouds or empty space for a bit.

I generally like the look of the game, I may buy this at some point for PC.

Although I don't like the sense of scale / distances. I know the game isn't going for "realistic", but I find it immersion breaking if flying through the atmosphere to reach the surface takes like, 5 seconds, and reaching other planets also doesn't take long.

As long as the visuals are nice (and they are), I don't mind flying through clouds or empty space for a bit.

Well if you are playing a game where travel to other galaxies is possible, you'd need to have discovered faster than light travel anyway, so taking a few seconds to exit an atmosphere isn't that unrealistic.

If they made it too long, people would no doubt complain about it anyway.

Well if you are playing a game where travel to other galaxies is possible, you'd need to have discovered faster than light travel anyway, so taking a few seconds to exit an atmosphere isn't that unrealistic.

If they made it too long, people would no doubt complain about it anyway.

Sure, but you're not traveling at the speed of light.. It's (seemingly) the same speed that you use to fly over the surface. Anyway, I assume I'd enjoy the game, and this wouldn't stop me from enjoying it, it's just a minor complaint, a personal preference.

Yeah, they could have done something which made it look like you were speeding up as you went upwards, or made the distance from ground to space seem greater i suppose.

Sure, but you're not traveling at the speed of light.. It's (seemingly) the same speed that you use to fly over the surface. Anyway, I assume I'd enjoy the game, and this wouldn't stop me from enjoying it, it's just a minor complaint, a personal preference.

They've said there's a warp drive so you're not travelling the same speed over a planet's surface as you are between planets.

They've said there's a warp drive so you're not travelling the same speed over a planet's surface as you are between planets.

Which I'm sure they'll be using for larger distances, but I'm just going of gameplay footage, particularly one posted by Drahkon on the first page:

From 1:30 to 2:30, there's no warp drive.

He's in space in no time, and I suspect those large asteroids should be visible from the surface. Then the other planet is clearly in sight from the moment you enter space, but let's assume one of them is a moon. Then at 2:18 when the player enters the other planet's atmosphere, it happens in no time at all. Then back to space at 2:55 in just a few seconds. I find it a little jarring. Again, it's obvious it's not going for realistic, but the sci-fi which taught me otherwise, also isn't necessarily realistic. But again, it's a minor complaint.

It's not really trying to be a space sim, if that's what you're into Elite: Dangerous is the best space sim you can play. This is more of an arcadey kind of experience. Having said that I think the planets could be a little bigger, they're basically the size of a meteor. Minor nitpick though, no big deal.

They've said they rejigged a lot of the gameplay for easy demo-ing purposes.

Each planet will have a different sized atmosphere and there will be planet sized planets. They've said there are some so big that if you put all the players on one it'd take ages to actually find each other.

Personally I'm not bothered about getting through the atmosphere of a planet (if indeed it has one) quickly as after the 100th planet it could become a drag.

And talking about meteors or asteroids, you'll be able to land on those too. ;)

EDIT: And the trailer above was their first reveal trailer, a lot has been improved since then.

Edited by somme

I still dont know the game play mechanics of this. Is it a RPG?

I still dont know the game play mechanics of this. Is it a RPG?

It's quite difficult to describe what NMS is. It's kinda an arcade version of space sim like Elite Dangerous but in procedurally generated universe similar to Minecraft thus everything are so unique. You can doing anything you want to do like exploring, resource gathering, crafting/upgrading, trading, combat and sharing your discoveries to other players via the Altas.

And there is a loose narrative of sorts. There's a reason every player will want to journey to the centre of the universe, that reason is unknown at the moment. Hello Games want the players to make most discoveries for themselves. But players will mainly be left to make their own stories and adventures, much like Minecraft.

Looking forward to this a lot. I've become a big fan of games that I find both enthralling and relaxing. Big time back into my point and click adventures for that.

NMS is IGN's game of the month and apparently they've only done that when the games were a few months away from release:

Xcom 2 IGN First June 2015, releasing November 2015

Rock Band 4 IGN First May 2015, releasing late 2015

Witcher 3 IGN First April 2015, released May 2015

Bloodborne IGN First February 2015, released March 2015

NMS is IGN's game of the month and apparently they've only done that when the games were a few months away from release:

Shall we all start taking bets?

I'm going with November. I want to be leaf!

I reckon any time after October as that's when I go back to uni as life is cruel.

But yeah I reckon and hope October/November at the latest!

There will be a new 18 minutes of gameplay with Sean narrating on IGN First at 5pm BST today. :)

Love how the UI is similar to Destiny's UI. Simple yet functional. Look like IGN will do an article tomorrow and maybe it will includes some more information about it.

What was shown in the IGN First gameplay.

• Planets can have several moons orbiting them
  • Weapons and ships are procedurally generated
  • Dying on a planet sends you back to your ship, and you lose all of your discoveries that haven't been uploaded, as well as any resources you haven't stored in your ship or sold.
  • Sentinels are a race of self-replicating machines that protect planets from explorers.
  • There are 5 levels in the 'Wanted' system. If you kill a creature while in sight of a Sentinel, your Wanted level will increase. To decrease your Wanted level, you need to evade Sentinels and/or leave the planet.
  • Crystals appear on most planets, and the elements they can be mined for are relatively low in value.
  • Opening up the game menu allows you to access 4 different tabs; Suit, Weapon, Ship, and Discoveries.
  • Suits, Ships and Weapons can be upgraded by installing different parts that you can craft within the game menu.
  • Every discovery you make is tracked in the Discovery tab.
  • Installing new technologies in weapons allow them to do new things. In the video, Sean installs an upgrade for a plasma weapon, allowing him to mine different elements.
  • If your ship is destroyed while in space, you lose any cargo that you currently have stored.
  • Upgrading your suit allows you to explore on planets with toxic atmospheres.
  • Elements are displayed at the bottom of the screen whenever you collect them.
  • Flying Sentinels seem to appear at low wanted levels, and 'walking' ones start to chase and shoot you as the wanted level increases.
  • The PS4 Controller vibrates if you approach a solar system in the galaxy map
  • If you are hit by a creature or sentinel, the edge of the screen glows light blue in the general direction of the enemy.
  • There is animal rarity and as such depending on how common or rare the creature you have discovered is has an effect on how much you get paid for making the discovery.
  • The grey bar in the top left corner is your health meter.
  • The possibility of destroying space stations is confirmed. This will apparently give huge rewards.
  • You can scare away some animals by shooting on the ground.

I'm looking at how complete this game seems and wondering why there hasn't been a release date announced and then I remembered these two guys:

projectmorpheus_2.jpg

dk2-product.jpg

That IGN first video is the first real time where I've seen the game and finally "got it". I'm super excited for it and just love the vision and scope of this game.

Laughed at how persistent that goat-thing was.

It probably will be a Morpheus title down the line but they said they'll work on that after the initial release.

Here's IGN's article from today: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/07/no-mans-sky-how-to-leave-your-mark-on-the-universe

And tomorrow we get another video!

I'm really hoping they end this month's IGN First with the release date. Sean said they were going to announce it at e3 but didn't at the last minute, I wonder, and hope IGN got an exclusive deal or something.