NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

Haha, it's been a very long time since I've seen a game cause such a heated debate. I can't wait for this, it's going to be huge! :grin:

Apparently it's already on Steam? To pre-order or something? I'm not really a PC gamer so have no idea what being on there could mean. How long are they normally on there before release? Few months?

Look like the Hello Game team got stuck in a traffic so they can't made to the Playstation livestream. D'oh

Apparently they originally were gonna announcing the release date at E3 but they didn't for some unknown reason.

Edited by DriftKaiser

Stolen from gaf:

- Not an MMO, SP experience, despite not being alone in the universe.

- Units are the main currency.

- Health and shield, auto regenerates and is all upgradeable.

- GTA style Wanted level. Multiple stages of policing via sentinels, mech walkers, ships, armada's etc.

- To avoid Wanted Levels, you can defend yourself against aggressive creatures in alternative ways. Eg shoot near their feet to scare them away.

- Wanted Level increases by causing too much destruction, killing too much life, or mining too aggressively.

- Not all planets have them.

- Things you mine can be deposited and stored.

- If you die you'll lose everything past your last beacon point, and whatever you didn't store.

- Discover planets and solar systems.

- Your ship does not start with hyperdrive, you have to build and improve it.

- The more you upgrade your hyperdrive, the deeper in to the universe you can venture.

- More unusual planets you can discover.

- Your suit is also upgradable.

- Your weapon (multi tool) is also upgradeable.

- More you upgrade your weapon, the more damage it does, the further it can scan etc.

- More you upgrade your suit, the further you can jump, deeper you can swim, the more toxicity you can survive etc.

- Some planets will have toxic areas or environments only accessible by upgrading certain things.

- There are alternative upgrades too, like a cloaking device for your ship.

- Cloaking device could be effective at avoiding pirate ships in space.

- Ship has numerous slots to fill with upgrades.

- Upgrades are made with finding materials, then other materials for crafting them.

- Choose between cargo upgrades or other tech upgrades.

- You can be a trader, miner, fighter, pirate, explorer etc.

- You don't actually have to ever land on a planet. You can just attack other ships like a pirate.

- Steal their goods, trade, etc, to upgrade your ship to travel to the centre.

- Though exploring planets is far more fun lol.

- Trading posts on most planets.

- Space station in every solar system.

- These can be destroyed, having ramifications on the world.

- You need fuel for your hyperdrive.

- There is a day night cycle, and planets actually rotate.

- Depending on which side of the sun or solar system etc you are, things will dynamically change.

The more I seem to learn about this game, the more questions I seem to have.

I think I know what it is, without really knowing what it really is, if that makes sense.

I just want to play it now.

This is where all of that information is taken from.

I don't really understand when people say they don't get it. Do what you want. In space. :D

I don't really understand when people say they don't get it. Do what you want. In space. :D

Haha, I don't really get why I don't get it either. When I think I finally understand it, some bit of information is revealed which confuses me.

So, it's not an mmo. Single player? Any kind of multiplayer? Will I be playing in the same universe as you or anybody else? If I find a planet, can I direct others to get there?

It's basically like Star Trek in space, I think. To boldly go where no man has gone before. To explore and discover and...mine.

Imagine getting all of your friends together and then randomly placing them throughout our own universe. Even with faster than light space travel what are the chances you'd ever see them again?

That's pretty much No Man's Sky multiplayer.

(Although they have said they'll release some more traditional multiplayer options after launch.)

Imagine getting all of your friends together and then randomly placing them throughout our own universe. Even with faster than light space travel what are the chances you'd ever see them again?

That's pretty much No Man's Sky multiplayer.

(Although they have said they'll release some more traditional multiplayer options after launch.)

I think the depth and scale of it all is throwing me. Also, the whole "not an mmo" bit has confused me. I think it'll be one of those games you just need to play for yourself to fully understand. I want it in my hands right now so I can see it for myself.

The whole idea of it is wonderful, very retro-sci-fi.

The general consensus from those who got to play it behind closed doors at E3 has been very, very positive. I get that for a lot of people having a go would definitely sway them either way. I was sold on last years E3 trailer alone. Exploring an almost infinite amount of planets was enough, everything else is a bonus. :D

Didn't know there are cloaking device in NMS. Should make it easier for pirates sneaks some black market items into a spacestation haha.

This game looks and sounds amazing.

Elite: Dangerous is obviously the far superior game :D but I still can't wait for this one. It seems much more arcadey whereas Elite is more of a space sim.

I think that's the difference; Elite is going for more realism and what it might be like to actually fly a ship, and obviously doesn't have planetary landing yet, which instantly makes it far less appealing to me and I imagine many other gamers. This just looks like pure, unadulterated fun. :D

I think that's the difference; Elite is going for more realism and what it might be like to actually fly a ship, and obviously doesn't have planetary landing yet, which instantly makes it far less appealing to me and I imagine many other gamers. This just looks like pure, unadulterated fun. :D

I think both compliment each other nicely.

I'll be getting both. :D

Can you imagine what it would feel like to have been playing the game for months, or years even, alone and then see another human player in the game... just coming over a hill of a planet you're exploring. You're gonna be so freaked out :p and probably open fire.

Wonder if there's a character creator, or everyone looks the same.

The first time you come across a planet discovered by someone else will be a big moment too! "Someone else has actually been here!" :D

It would be great if you could do things like throw a message in a bottle in the sea of a planet or bury a stash under a specific tile. Shame it's going to completely reset as everyone leaves!

It would be great if you could do things like throw a message in a bottle in the sea of a planet or bury a stash under a specific tile. Shame it's going to completely reset as everyone leaves!

If you destroy or damage trading outposts and the like that will remain even after you're long gone.

Here's a video showing the sound used in the game, as we've only seen voice over videos so far.

Didn't watch much of it myself, don't want to watch too much more:

EDIT: And rumours seem to be circulating about a November release :D

Edited by somme

Rumoured box art for the physical release:

11666140_10153920223254338_8269055767810374594_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8905969ee6f6c5489bdccfde3f8bdc63&oe=55E9AF35

(The image has been badly photoshopped to appear on a case, but that is indeed the rumoured art work)

Lovely artwork, I wonder if this will be out this year.

The people that have played it say it seems pretty much done, so hopefully!

There have been rumours of a November release. I can see it happening, tbh.

There seems to be a lot of "cool and peaceful" vibes coming from this game. I think it'll gain a cult following quite quickly. This game appeals to the inner-child in me; the one who used to watch films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and the old Star Trek tv series. Being able to just discover new worlds and venture into space without really a clue about what was going to turn up.

Yeah I reckon (and hope) it's November. I can't wait much longer. Most anticipated game for me, maybe ever.

November seems like an odd time for a game like this to be released. I know its gathered a hell of a lot more buzz on the Internet than an indie-ish title would do but I think it could still get lost among the November releases for the general public.

November seems like an odd time for a game like this to be released. I know its gathered a hell of a lot more buzz on the Internet than an indie-ish title would do but I think it could still get lost among the November releases for the general public.

There's a danger it could get lost, but I think it could still have a good buzz around it and it's still different enough to get people's attention.

I'd be delighted to just be playing it by the end of this year. Hoping for a firm date soon!