NEurope
tapedeck

Should Nintendo adopt a PS Plus style service?

I would pick the Wii U today today (I already have). I'm waiting for games to come out on PS4 first.

I am going to wait and see what the PS4/XBone games end up being like in regards to single player modes.

As a consumer, I've literally no idea what is going on in regards to subscriptions for XBoxLive and PSN. Like, do you have to have these services set up to access online parts of games?

If I have to pay a monthly/annual subscription to play games online I won't be buying either unless their single player library has substantial value.(Which it probably will have in a few years).

I am going to wait and see what the PS4/XBone games end up being like in regards to single player modes.

As a consumer, I've literally no idea what is going on in regards to subscriptions for XBoxLive and PSN. Like, do you have to have these services set up to access online parts of games?

If I have to pay a monthly/annual subscription to play games online I won't be buying either unless their single player library has substantial value.(Which it probably will have in a few years).

If you want to play online then yeah you need to pay a fee on both these consoles. With Playstation though this nets you "free" games every month on all of their hardware, PS3, PS4 and Vita. PS+ pays for itself within a couple of months easily.

If you want to play online then yeah you need to pay a fee on both these consoles. With Playstation though this nets you "free" games every month on all of their hardware, PS3, PS4 and Vita. PS+ pays for itself within a couple of months easily.

Thanks H-O-T.

The free games thing is nice, but they aren't technically of value to someone who doesn't want them. :heh:

Still not sure if it sweetens the deal.

I'm surprised gamers are accepting of online fees. It's like we don't have a choice all of a sudden but to accept what we are given. Maybe getting old here...

Good, funny episode of The Final Bosman, with plenty of 3DS and Mario 3D World positivity, as well as good laughs over console exclusive content ;)

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1643558&postcount=13

Thanks H-O-T.

The free games thing is nice, but they aren't technically of value to someone who doesn't want them. :heh:

The games they choose are such high quality titles that you can consider not having to buy any games and just wait for them to appear on Plus. We're not talking 3 year old games or something here, it's quite often games appearing only 6 months after launch. Like Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry, Remember Me, Metal Gear Rising, Guacamelee, Need For Speed Most Wanted etc... Edited by Retro_Link

Thanks for the clarification @Retro_Link but Personally, I'd take free online gaming over free games - no matter how good the games. Of course, the deal is still a sweet one but seems to be in place to supplicate gamers paying for online services. I guess I just resent the monthly cost to play online considering we already pay our ISP's such a fee.

Sadly (for me), it seems I'm in a minority on this one which means we'll all end up having to pay monthly fees in the long term as it will become an industry standard practice.

Thanks for the clarification @Retro_Link but Personally, I'd take free online gaming over free games - no matter how good the games. Of course, the deal is still a sweet one but seems to be in place to supplicate gamers paying for online services. I guess I just resent the monthly cost to play online considering we already pay our ISP's such a fee.

Sadly (for me), it seems I'm in a minority on this one which means we'll all end up having to pay monthly fees in the long term as it will become an industry standard practice.

It's only £30 for a years subscription.

Yeah exactly, and personally I see that as £30 to get all the games they give away, not even thinking about online.

To be fair 30 quid does sound pretty decent with all the free stuff you get for it. For what I can gather if you dont game like Hero then you probably wont need to buy a retail game.

See a Nintendo fanboy praising a sony initiative. It does happen :)

It's only £30 for a years subscription.

I remember a kid and his mates in college going mental when they couldn't get their college bursary as they didn't attend for one lesson. They hadn't attended as the new FIFA had come out and used this as an excuse. Not getting their bursaries resulted in them being unable to pay for their XBox Live package. I couldn't believe one lads reaction, seriously going mental as if his life depended on it. :o

I just remember thinking that we're in a totally different world for gaming now where gaming is seen as 'a need' and SONY and MS must know they have an audience they can take the cash off. Good business no doubt.

I also remember thinking 'where's the fun in that?' and how gaming should be about inclusion not segregation.

Seeing how some kids (or gamers) rely so much on their online 'world' and how they need to secure financial aid for this was pretty surprising to me. So yeah, I guess I've seen how paying for online gaming can have consequences, thus I have a different perspective on it.

I guess that's what makes this market so interesting, that we still have alternatives.

Edited by tapedeck

To be fair 30 quid does sound pretty decent with all the free stuff you get for it. For what I can gather if you dont game like Hero then you probably wont need to buy a retail game.

See a Nintendo fanboy praising a sony initiative. It does happen :)

i don't think it is £30 as a rule, that's just a special offer. I may be wrong on this, I'm sure I will be corrected if so. But let's clarify something, they're not free games are they, you are paying for them via the subscription. It's like saying the Wii U isn't really expensive because you get a free gamepad with it. 6 months after release you can pick up any game for less than £10. I for one simply refuse to buy a console that forces me to pay a subscription to go online when I already pay BT for this, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

i don't think it is £30 as a rule, that's just a special offer. I may be wrong on this, I'm sure I will be corrected if so. But let's clarify something, they're not free games are they, you are paying for them via the subscription. It's like saying the Wii U isn't really expensive because you get a free gamepad with it. 6 months after release you can pick up any game for less than £10. I for one simply refuse to buy a console that forces me to pay a subscription to go online when I already pay BT for this, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

£39.99 is the RRP iirc

If I was to buy a Wii U tomorrow and there were two offers...

a) Buy a Wii U console and get free online

b) Buy a Wii U console, pay £39.99 (£30 in regular offers) for online... and this months free games were Zombie U, Lego City, Toki Tori 2 and Pilotwings 3DS...

I know which offer I'd choose.

Plus pays for itself within a few months depending on your taste in games, and then you get games for the rest of the year.

Edited by Retro_Link

It can usually be found at £30, HMV I know has been selling them at £30 for months and CEX is £28. I think now Plus is required I can imagine it sticking around this price. I've always paid £30 over the years I've had it. I don't think it's hard to get it at this price.

Also what you're saying isn't true - many of the games they give away often cost in the £20 region, and some are new. For instance they are currently giving away Resogun on PS4 which has literally just released, and they'll also be giving away Driveclub. Either way, after one or two games that you download and enjoy (there are loads, so it's extremely likely you'll like some of them) you're quids in.

It's not just shit either. Actual great games like the Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Far Cry, LBP series. Totally worth it really. I've said it before, but if Nintendo did the same then I'm confident most of you all would be signed up and praising it.

£39.99 is the RRP iirc

Yeah but RRP is for suckers.

I've said it before, but if Nintendo did the same then I'm confident most of you all would be signed up and praising it.

If Nintendo made the Virtual Console a subscription service I would totally sign up to a subscription for it.

I'm sure you're not. Whereas I for one am happy to pay to play online, whether I get free stuff or not. Getting games with the subscription is just the icing on the cake. Add to the fact I actually have the ability to have a proper messaging system and party chat then yeah, I'm happy to give these companies my cash.

Yes, the price is £40 but like any savvy gamer you shop around and get it when it's cheap. Much like why I use Shopto for my Wii U games. Very few online retailers stick to the RRP.

If Nintendo made the Virtual Console a subscription service I would totally sign up to a subscription for it.

That means they would have to release them in a timely manner though. :D

Grumble grumble.......still want SNES and GBA games on my 3DS grumble.

I remember a kid and his mates in college going mental when they couldn't get their college bursary as they didn't attend for one lesson. They hadn't attended as the new FIFA had come out and used this as an excuse. Not getting their bursaries resulted in them being unable to pay for their XBox Live package. I couldn't believe one lads reaction, seriously going mental as if his life depended on it. :o

Microsoft was cleaver by making Xbox Live not just about gaming but also very much about the social experience. The cross game party chat feature was a brilliant feature but it's hidden behind the paywall. Yes, some gamers think it takes away from the immersion of the game and they would be right but others can't play a game without having the banter as well. One of my nephews is one if these people and won't game unless he can laugh and carry on with his mates down the headset.

talking of free games, is tank tank tank free in the eshop??? :/

Kind of. You can get the retail release for around a tenner now. Quality little game although I'm definitely in the minority when giving it praise.

Blasphemy

Nintendo's timed release schedule of Virtual Console games is just so brilliant...

...yeah not even I could try to defend that :p

I mean I do get pacing it to allow for more people to buy games, but do like 3-4 a week minimum and not 1...if that

Playstation plus is a blessing and a curse, its a random rental programme that comes with free online, and i have a huge libraray of games because of it.......and therin lies my problem...i don't have time for them! i actually wish it was every 2 or 3 months you got a game or two

but plus has given my Vita some life, without it i'd only own Marvel Vs Capcom and Gravity Rush (maybe now tearaway and killzone)

I would love nintendo to do a subscription service, get some funds in, give us free games and use those funds to expand studios, make more games, fund a price cut something to bring people to WiiU

Sometimes nintendo should do what others do and not try and forge their own path

6 months after release you can pick up any game for less than £10.

I'm gonna need to know where you're getting your games from!

For me I can see the appeal of Plus with its free games, though personally I still somewhat dislike paying for online(though I had Xbox live, I managed on a good few deals...sadly I've wasted almost a year's worth of it too) - so I like PS3 and Wii U for being online for free. Sadly I must admit from my limited experiences though, that the paid for Xbox Live service has felt much more polished than the others. Playing N4SMW with folks on here(and my mate) was a chuckle but sometimes people'd drop and the chat'd stutter - it jarred a little. All in all I haven't had enough of an online experience with the alternatives to 360 to make a fully valid judgement though.

If Nintendo charged for online, I'd be ok with it if they gave us access to just the Virtual Console (full back catalogue mind). I don't need free recent games, just give me full access to all the old ones, that'd do me!

Playstation plus is a blessing and a curse, its a random rental programme that comes with free online, and i have a huge libraray of games because of it.......and therin lies my problem...i don't have time for them! i actually wish it was every 2 or 3 months you got a game or two

but plus has given my Vita some life, without it i'd only own Marvel Vs Capcom and Gravity Rush (maybe now tearaway and killzone)

I would love nintendo to do a subscription service, get some funds in, give us free games and use those funds to expand studios, make more games, fund a price cut something to bring people to WiiU

Sometimes nintendo should do what others do and not try and forge their own path

I'm fairly convinced they're probably sitting on a pile of cash already - it isn't that they don't have it, they're willing to part with it. The Wii was a runaway success, it turned profit in every territory from launch - what did all that profit go into? Where's that money now?

Deffo agree they need to expand studios, maybe court a few good indies/3rd parties etc, maybe even fund a price cut(inb4Serebii) - but WILL they? I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo ARE doing at the moment.

I'm fairly convinced they're probably sitting on a pile of cash already - it isn't that they don't have it, they're willing to part with it. The Wii was a runaway success, it turned profit in every territory from launch - what did all that profit go into? Where's that money now?

Deffo agree they need to expand studios, maybe court a few good indies/3rd parties etc, maybe even fund a price cut(inb4Serebii) - but WILL they? I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo ARE doing at the moment.

Nintendo's huge R&D building just got finished. They also hired 500 (may be a bit less, running off of memory) new staff members this year and are putting out notices for more.

Just saying.

Edited by Serebii

PS Plus is totally worth it, I only have a Vita so see half of whats on offer, and even that has paid for itself. I don't have the time for all these games so yeah, I probably don't have to buy another Vita game again :p

It also helps introduce you to games you may not have risked buying otherwise! I'd love for Nintendo to do this too. It would be good with Virtual Console titles alone!