NEurope
Iun

Christmas Songs

I know it's... three days before December, but I've allowed myself the luxury of listening to a few of my favourites before the start of the "Season" as it were.

Now, the question is.... what are your favourites?

I personally love:

Ding Dong Merrily on High

And:

Fairytale of New York

....et tu, Brutes?!??

My favourite Christmas album. It has everything you want from Christmas - happiness, lost love, donkeys, allusions to testicle fondling and WHAM!

I was so happy they included the 3DS in this for a good 5 seconds as it gave me an excuse to post about Bieber and Mariah Carey on the front page last Christmas :p

Pretty much any Christmas song. I LOVE CHRISTMAS! Christmas is filled with love and joy and shit like that! It's all about giving and sharing...so basically, give me the Christmas dinners and desserts and I'll share it with no-one! :p

Fairytale of New York

....et tu, Brutes?!??

WOOT Fairytale of New York is my fav Christmas song ever :D

Also very partial to Driving Home For Christmas, "It Feels Like Christmas" from Muppets Christmas Carole (fav Xmas Film :D) and "Christmas Tree" by Dustin the Turkey (you'll likely never have heard of that if you aren't from Ireland.

Youtube Embeds FTW :D

I found it only two years ago, but it instantly became my favourite Christmas song. Despite me not being religious at all, I found it so beautiful that it actually brought me to tears.

I'm also particularly fond of these classics.

In general, though, I just love Christmas music. :D

Oh, yes, forgot this one!

I personally find most proper Christmas songs (as in the ones that sing about Christmas itself etc) are the worst ones. :heh:

I much prefer songs that remind me of Christmas - whether it be songs that were Christmas number 1's when I was a kid growing up, or just songs that have the christmassy feel to them!

A lot of the Spice Girls songs remind me of Christmas and I love how they always get played on the music channels during the festive season!

In terms of the 'proper' ones though - Rockin Around The Christmas Tree is a major fave. :santa:

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS SONG EXISTED UNTIL NOW.

Although it seems it's kinda-a-bit older than that (seen a Springsteen version) I still love it.

Fairytale of New York is an all time classic.

No other Christmas song comes close. Just put my tree up and it came on the music channel I was listening too.

What about Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo? Does that come close?

That is one of my favourites as well as...

That's one of my favourites too, along with Jingle Bell Rock by Hall & Oates. To me, it just gets everything right for a Christmas song:

This isn't really about christmas but it has a very christmassy feel to it. I feel it's the far better song and it's the last song Freddie finished I believe.

Normally I don't accept subsitutes when it comes to Fairytale of New York.... but this version translated into Irish I'll give a pass and add to my mp3 Xmas folder :D

Don't know why they don't translate "Mountain Dew" or "Galway Bay" to Irish though... prolly to keep the rythm better I guess?

Just heard on the radio that Chvrches have done a cover of E17's Stay Another Day;

Certainly a different take on the xmas #1, and not necessarily xmassy at all, but worth a listen.

I certainly wish more bands tried to make a modern-day xmas song. Someone at work said that Wizzard get 800k a year in royalties for their hit (probably utterly untrue) but realistically the only recent xmas songs I can think of that are still re-played are The Darkness and Mariah Carey for the last 20 years.

How did I ever forget this little beauty of an Xmas Song :D

Someone at work said that Wizzard get 800k a year in royalties for their hit (probably utterly untrue)

Perhaps an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just imagine how many times it's played on the radio, in shop(ping center)s, on TV, on Christmas compilation CDs etc.

Also, I prefer the East 17 version. Great Christmas song.

Edited by MoogleViper
Automerged Doublepost