NEurope
DuD

The Mr Men Masquerade

So close :cry:

It's a shame Peeps turned inactive near the end, because I do think we could've done this. At least I take pride on the fact that, while defending myself, I still managed to drag a couple of townies down with me (Eevil and Yvonne were lynched due to me, basically)

It still boggles my mind exactly how could Sméagol NOT be lynched. He defended me until I died, and his "I targeted nobody" claim was so poor! Even I thought he was on our side :heh:

I thought this was a fantastic game, a shame that inactivity and late schedules slowed it so much.

Yeah, I agree with @DuD that the anonymity could have been used a lot better. I've got to be honest as well, coming back to the game for the first time in a while, the mechanics had me pretty off-balance at first. I was able to talk after I died by had no idea how long for.

Smeagol - Reason I didn't reveal who I was after I died was because I thought that my anonymity would be helpful and was trying to stir up the game a bit. Also I got no info from my target on the first night so didn't really have anything to "help".

Question for the mafia: any reason why you targeted me on the first night? Did I enquire too much and look like trouble?

@Jamba: Random number generator. We chose to kill Mr.Mischief and we had no idea who that was. If we knew it was you, we wouldn't have killed you, certainly (we're not mean). It was just rotten luck.

Any thoughts? Be as brutally honest as possible as I think the concept could be fun.. just my first implementation of it was flawed.. fatally :p

@Kidnapped instead of dead: Nice idea, but the fact that they can still vote afterwards made it unclear for me when exactly we could win (for me, at least). However, giving a temporary voice to dead townies is still a good idea, I think.

@Most Votes: This system encourages days to drag a little. If the townies believe the day might end soon (or at any moment), they'll be very active, but if they know the due date is a tad late, they'll be far more lax with their decisions. Since a single vote can influence anything, townies are even more extra careful.

IMO, the standard majority system is better.

@Identities: A nice concept. I know better than anybody that certain ideas not always translate well to practice, so here's what I think might've snagged your plan:

Flaw 1: Townies essentially want to be as open as they can, so there needs to be some incentive to keeping identities hidden. For everyone, because this applies to everybody. What's the point of keeping your identity hidden if the mafia knows more, and quickly figures out who everyone is?

Flaw 2: Due to the targeting system, anyone can figure out who everyone is easily ("I roleblocked Mr.Dude" "I was roleblocked like that!"). All you need is someone willing to be open, and it snowballs from there. Two people being able to laugh-block is a step in the right direction, since it creates more ambiguity, but it is just that: a step.

I don't know what the solutions could be, I'm just pointing out the crux of the issues this game had (IMO). I hope it helps :)

(Though one suggestion I have is designing roles taking in mind that anonymity actually works for the first couple of nights, becoming irrelevant shortly after)

@Jamba: Random number generator. We chose to kill Mr.Mischief and we had no idea who that was. If we knew it was you, we wouldn't have killed you, certainly (we're not mean). It was just rotten luck.

Thanks chap :-) And yes... my memory is failing, of course you couldn't have known who I was.

I'm going to have a think about the identity thing. It's a good concept providing it can be made to work. I really like the idea of being able to get away with murder (ha!) and not be able to be targeted for it. I think it would be quite intimidating for the mafia to be able to laud over the townies quite openly.

EDIT: Oh I have an idea. Why not change the chance to kill for the mafia based on the info they give? If they know both the name and the character, then it's 100% chance of kill, only one piece of info and it's 60% say? Then you would need something else for balance most likely.

Edited by Jamba

Nicely played Peeps, I didn't really suspect you at all!

I enjoyed this game, but I'm not going to lie....hated the identity stuff. I don't like confusing things, so this made portions of it horrible for me. BUT overally, really enjoyed it.

Can someone start a game?!

The thing with the kidnapping was that I wanted dead townies able to give their thoughts/oppinions after death, so that the mafia couldn't kill the most talkative townies for an easy win.

I then wondered how likely a dead player was to contribute without having a vote or a power? So I gave them back their vote.. but obviously the majority needs to lower for the game to progress so limited their voting to just one extra day.

The idea of kidnapping worked flavor wise to start with as only the kidnapped player knew it was them who was kidnapped, so they could have carried on for a day as if nothing had happened.. however as identities were revealed and we knew who was behind each costume the concept didn't sit well with the flavor, just seeming out of place and confusing matters.

So close :cry:

It's a shame Peeps turned inactive near the end, because I do think we could've done this. At least I take pride on the fact that, while defending myself, I still managed to drag a couple of townies down with me (Eevil and Yvonne were lynched due to me, basically)

It still boggles my mind exactly how could Sméagol NOT be lynched. He defended me until I died, and his "I targeted nobody" claim was so poor! Even I thought he was on our side :heh:

I thought this was a fantastic game, a shame that inactivity and late schedules slowed it so much.

It was the truth. I wanted to see what happened without my interference. I also hoped Rez would get lucky. If I had sent in a target, it would be another obstacle for Rez to overcome. As for your defense.. For all I knew, your only minor discrepancy could be explained by actions from players who I knew absolutely nothing about. At least with you, you wete known to at least partly tell the truth. Up until that point, I had no reason to trust Diageo whatsoever.

It was the truth. I wanted to see what happened without my interference. I also hoped Rez would get lucky. If I had sent in a target, it would be another obstacle for Rez to overcome. As for your defense.. For all I knew, your only minor discrepancy could be explained by actions from players who I knew absolutely nothing about. At least with you, you wete known to at least partly tell the truth. Up until that point, I had no reason to trust Diageo whatsoever.

Your actions, I understand. It's the fact that you managed to escape a lynch afterwards, even though it looked so much like you and I were on the same page.

Then again, I managed to defend myself for a good while, too :heh:

For me personally a combination of life factors got in the way for the last two mafia games and I lost momentum. I think it was a strong mechanic, and worked especially well in the beginning, and it's just a shame that it petered out.

I thought it was a great idea @DuD, I just wish I'd been a bit more active. Tailing from the HGUFMafia and general IRL busyness made it difficult for me to give as much as I wanted - and by time I got here all the roles and myself had been unraveled! Must say hats off to Peeps and Jonnas for surviving longer than I expected us to, too!

The character name mechanic was interesting - as you said it just became undone and redundant quite quickly. I can see the issue - town would want info out whereas mafia won't usually, that can be a bit of a lose-lose for mafia. How to fix it though I've got no idea? Maybe people target as character names, but get results with forum names, and a sanction on not revealing your character name? It'd sow maybe a bit too much confusion, though. As for the most votes, you know I'm always a fan! Couple of ties but you put a contingency in place so I don't think it's any big deal.

As for how to make the name switching more effective: more abilities (passive or active) affecting names, and don't switch the names in the final vote count. Only when you die should your character name be revealed (or any appropriate ability of course).