NEurope
jayseven

How much do you spend on rent?

I'm still living at home (like El and Rummy still are), so i pay £200 a month for lodging (which covers Sky and Internet as well), i keep £900 of it a month for me. But i do contribute to the food bills, gas, electric as well. I am putting money away for a deposit on a house, trying my damn hardest to not go down the rental route as i can see the majority of income you chaps (and chapesses) earn goes on that.

I know that feeling all too well.

Taking into account tax benefits, I could drop ~4k of my salary and move back around home, and I'd be no worse off. Or pay the same amount and live in an amazing flat/house.

The 2+1 bed terraced house opposite my sister is cheaper to rent than my current room in a house share.

I couldn't and wouldn't take a drop in pay, as I currently don't get paid that much as QA (although certainly a few grand more than any other place in the UK currently.) but it'd be nice to have my own place now. It's been a long time and whilst living with people certainly has its benefits, I find that its so tiring to deal with people all day and then do so at home.

My current housemate gives me a lot of space, but she has people round a lot and that to me isn't great, its family and current spouses, which I wouldn't ever stop her from seeing, but for me its a lot to deal with. :hmm:

If I wanted my own place, we're talking £600 without bills, thats over 50% of my rent, with bills and my car, I'd be paying closer to what Ashley does and I just cannot afford that.

I pay more than that without bills. Stop trying to be me :heh:

I imagine that sounds a lot worse than it is.

Well I did go and see them in person this time...

I jest, of course. It's because I'm zero hours apparently - despite the fact that I have two P60s that show a healthy enough annual gross, plus the fact I'm on track for that again if not a few hundred extra...I kinda wonder what the fuck I'm sposed to do. Top it up with the fact they APPROVED a mortgage offer on a previous property, and at no point was I under the impression this would ever come up as an issue now. It really is all quite a stress.

I hope to move out to London next year once I'm settled at work but unfortunately the rent prices seem too much for me for what you get in return. I'm not so keen on the idea of living with strangers first time out so hopefully an opportunity will come up with a friend in the next few months. Similarly, I feel I should have a landlord just so it's not completely my responsibility if utilities break. (We've had so many radiator leaks, water leaks, more than 1 ceiling collapse that I don't want to go through the stress of it on my own :p)

I hope to move out to London next year once I'm settled at work but unfortunately the rent prices seem too much for me for what you get in return. I'm not so keen on the idea of living with strangers first time out so hopefully an opportunity will come up with a friend in the next few months. Similarly, I feel I should have a landlord just so it's not completely my responsibility if utilities break. (We've had so many radiator leaks, water leaks, more than 1 ceiling collapse that I don't want to go through the stress of it on my own :p)

Seriously don't do it. This thread is a perfect demonstration of why almost everywhere else in the county is a better balance of where to live. You can still visit London, you don't have to live there!

I've been fortunate in mortgage matters - I switched to a lifetime tracker mortgage just before the bank rates started falling. My mortgage is at 2% above the Bank of England rate, so that's 2.49%. We have a 3 bed semi-detached (in a nice area) and our mortgage is £575. This is our second house (as in, the second that we bought together - we don't have two houses), so we built up equity in the first then sold it and managed to scrape together enough for this one.

Seriously don't do it. This thread is a perfect demonstration of why almost everywhere else in the county is a better balance of where to live. You can still visit London, you don't have to live there!

We're no longer friends.

I've been fortunate in mortgage matters - I switched to a lifetime tracker mortgage just before the bank rates started falling. My mortgage is at 2% above the Bank of England rate, so that's 2.49%. We have a 3 bed semi-detached (in a nice area) and our mortgage is £575. This is our second house (as in, the second that we bought together - we don't have two houses), so we built up equity in the first then sold it and managed to scrape together enough for this one.

That's a very nice looking tracker, especially for a lifetime one. I'm currently(or was, rather) looking at a five year that's at +2.19% before reverting to an SMR of 3.99%. I still want it because I can do overpayments without limit but I don't have much faith in the base rate staying low enough for more than a year or two now. I can't believe my bank's suddenly decided to be mugging me off so hard though - surely there's plenty folks who exist on zero hours? Or self-employed? Absolute crap feeling right now though.

I'm leaving? What am I leaving?

Part time employment to go back to full time? :grin:

I think I got away with it!

You Cray.

As I look at it I pay more in rent but if I was elsewhere there would be less to do, I'd have less friends (probably), I'd have less possibilities etc. I'll happily pay the extra money for that. If I'd stayed at home I'd probably have more money in the bank but nothing to do with it except buy a house I suppose. I'd rather have fun than a house right now.

You Cray.

As I look at it I pay more in rent but if I was elsewhere there would be less to do, I'd have less friends (probably), I'd have less possibilities etc. I'll happily pay the extra money for that.

And here we can see a typical Londoner. They may look similar to other species, but can be characterised by their overly colourful attire, and abrupt manner to strangers. Typical traits include thinking that London is the centre of the world, and that nothing else ever happens elsewhere. You can often see them thinking that London is special and unique, as they go into the Jack Jones and Abercrombie & Fitch shops, before eating at the local Nando's. Truly a facinating specimen.

And here we can see a typical Londoner. They may look similar to other species, but can be characterised by their overly colourful attire, and abrupt manner to strangers. Typical traits include thinking that London is the centre of the world, and that nothing else ever happens elsewhere. You can often see them thinking that London is special and unique, as they go into the Jack Jones and Abercrombie & Fitch shops, before eating at the local Nando's. Truly a facinating specimen.

giphy.gif

I was posting about myself. I made a joke to Jamba earlier, a person I consider a friend and thus he would know I was joking due to conversations we have outside of these four digital walls, but it was very much a post about myself that you quoted. Maybe it wasn't particularly clear that the "anywhere else" referred to the other places I have lived and apologies for any confusion, but there is some truth that my social and professional network would not be anywhere else because they are in London. I at no point said everyone should live in London, particularly if they're going to be arsewipes about it like you have been here, or that it is ideal for everyone.

I'm congenial and polite (I still do that crazy antiquated thing like helping people on the street if I can see them struggling with bags or whatever, I did it this morning on the way to the gym). Yet you, a non-Londoner, has decided to take something I said about myself, and turn it into a tirade about London. Everyone has the capacity to be a dick, regardless of postcode.

London is not the centre of the word, I'm well aware of that thanks. It's currently the centre of my world as its where I live, work and play (for want of a better term), but not everyone's, obviously. I have enough friends/contacts outside of London to know that, and a basic capacity for empathy.

And I've never shopped at a Jack Jones or A&F and I go to nandos far more at home than I do back here because there are more options here. Me and friends spent 15 minutes walking around Brixton Market yesterday because there were so many options to choose from. That's what I want from my life, others want the house and the kids and whatever. I at no point said "oh people from outside of London are stupid with their desires for property ownership", yet you felt the need to hijack my discussion about why I choose to live where I do and pay the rent that I do. Have I told anyone they should move out of home, go to London and fuck this saving for a deposit thing? No. So what gives you the right to come in here and do a sideways moan?

If you are an example of the species I'm apparently not, then I'm happy to be whatever alien creature I apparently am.

And I'm currently wearing a grey Mickey Mouse hoody that is ratty but cosy as fuck.

I don't mind you making fun of the Admins but if you ever diss Nando's again you're banned.

giphy.gif

I was posting about myself. I made a joke to Jamba earlier, a person I consider a friend and thus he would know I was joking due to conversations we have outside of these four digital walls, but it was very much a post about myself that you quoted. Maybe it wasn't particularly clear that the "anywhere else" referred to the other places I have lived and apologies for any confusion, but there is some truth that my social and professional network would not be anywhere else because they are in London. I at no point said everyone should live in London, particularly if they're going to be arsewipes about it like you have been here, or that it is ideal for everyone.

I'm congenial and polite (I still do that crazy antiquated thing like helping people on the street if I can see them struggling with bags or whatever, I did it this morning on the way to the gym). Yet you, a non-Londoner, has decided to take something I said about myself, and turn it into a tirade about London. Everyone has the capacity to be a dick, regardless of postcode.

London is not the centre of the word, I'm well aware of that thanks. It's currently the centre of my world as its where I live, work and play (for want of a better term), but not everyone's, obviously. I have enough friends/contacts outside of London to know that, and a basic capacity for empathy.

And I've never shopped at a Jack Jones or A&F and I go to nandos far more at home than I do back here because there are more options here. Me and friends spent 15 minutes walking around Brixton Market yesterday because there were so many options to choose from. That's what I want from my life, others want the house and the kids and whatever. I at no point said "oh people from outside of London are stupid with their desires for property ownership", yet you felt the need to hijack my discussion about why I choose to live where I do and pay the rent that I do. Have I told anyone they should move out of home, go to London and fuck this saving for a deposit thing? No. So what gives you the right to come in here and do a sideways moan?

If you are an example of the species I'm apparently not, then I'm happy to be whatever alien creature I apparently am.

And I'm currently wearing a grey Mickey Mouse hoody that is ratty but cosy as fuck.

Our rent is currently about £625 between two of us, with bills, food and such we're paying about £600 each. Looking to upgrade to something a bit nicer in the next few months, but still want to be able to save a decent amount each month toward vacations, possible future mortgage and so forth.

London may be expensive, but I don't really want to live anywhere else right now.

London may be expensive, but I don't really want to live anywhere else right now.

Funny thing is, that Oxford's not much better! You get off the train, walk into town and BAM, Nando's bitches.

Funny thing is, that Oxford's not much better! You get off the train, walk into town and BAM, Nando's bitches.

Believe me, I'm hoping to leave this place as soon as possible.

And Nando's is shit.

I like London and through London I can get anywhere I need to pretty quickly. That's a good thing.