NEurope
Cube

Netflix Live action Marvel shows - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Jessica Jones

Ah man I didn't see this last week and I was just yesterday thinking about whether there might be a new season coming up. Spidey on PS4 really got me in the mood for more Daredevil.

So I’m a couple of episodes from the end of Iron fist S2 – they’re making these things almost as fast as I can watch them! Overall, IF2 is ok, better than LC2 and probably on a par with JJ2. It annoys me that the bad guy in IF is once again an identical version of the protagonist. It feels so lazy to me that when looking to have a villain in these things, they always seem to end up with someone with the same abilities/powers as the hero. It’s so boring. It’s like the writers were like “What if they had to fight themselves?!?!?!” – and then just went with it.

Luke Cage Season 1? Fights a strong, bulletproof guy.

Luge cage Season 2? Fights a strong bulletproof guy.

Jessica Jones season 2? Fights a strong woman.

Iron Fist season 2? Fights an Iron Fist guy.

I think that’s what made JJ1 so good – she is faced with someone who has a completely different set of powers, but ones that neutralise her own, and forces her to do something different. Super strong? Doesn’t mean shit against someone who has mind control. Daredevil season 1 was also good at this – they didn’t just face him against another blind guy with super senses and kung-fu, they give him a fat guy with anger issues.

Looking forward to the end of IF2 and DD3, but if Matt Murdock ends up fighting himself, I’ll be so pissed.

19 hours ago, bob said:

So I’m a couple of episodes from the end of Iron fist S2 – they’re making these things almost as fast as I can watch them! Overall, IF2 is ok, better than LC2 and probably on a par with JJ2. It annoys me that the bad guy in IF is once again an identical version of the protagonist. It feels so lazy to me that when looking to have a villain in these things, they always seem to end up with someone with the same abilities/powers as the hero. It’s so boring. It’s like the writers were like “What if they had to fight themselves?!?!?!” – and then just went with it.

First three episodes of The Flash there... yes, I agree, it's really boring.

Looks great! I just hope it'll be better than season 2 but the villain is at least great here.

I wonder what goes into a decision like that regarding viewer numbers... I mean it's Netflix, TV on demand. You don't have to watch it immediately or as it airs. For me, the second season of Iron Fist was something I'd definitely give a chance, especially after hearing it improved on the first one. But I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

• Like 1

Daredevil season 3 is out. I've seen one review, 5/6. So it seems to be better than season 2. Anyone started it yet?

Luke Cage has also been cancelled. 

In unrelated news, Disney has a steaming service coming out soon. 

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Luke Cage has also been cancelled. 

In unrelated news, Disney has a steaming service coming out soon. 

Yeah, I’m fairly confident that the plug has been pulled on these shows now because they’re being moved across to Disney’s own streaming service — this was always going to be the case. The wording in the Iron Fist cancellation statement is very telling, in my opinion:

Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners. We’re thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series. While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on.

Whether it’s a third season or they end up appearing in something else, I have no doubt that Iron Fist and Luke Cage will be returning relatively soon. 

Loki and Scarlet Witch live-action series have also been rumoured to be coming to the platform for months now. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to hear that Daredevil is cancelled by Christmas at this rate, only for a number of (if not all) the leads in the currently Netflix-exclusive shows to make a very loud return at SDCC or D23 next summer. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Guillermo del Toro will be directing, writing and producing Netflix’s musical stop-motion version of Pinocchio. 

No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio. In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember.

EDIT: I’m changing my name to Daredevil. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Haha 1

It's about time Pinocchio took his place in the Marvel universe.

• Haha 1

The fact that DD has now been cancelled all but confirms the real reason all the others did.

I have yet to see season 3 but I'm already considering cancelling my Netflix subscription. With all Marvel and Disney being removed from the service, it just no longer holds the same value. It still gets animated DC movies which is great but apart from that it hardly gets anything else. 

If you want to know more about the cancellation of the Marvel Netflix shows, here’s an interesting Twitter thread offering an overview of the situation by Matthew Ball, the former Head of Strategy of Amazon Studios:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shortening the shows to 6-8 episodes per season would have made them much better. 

I've yet to see DD s3 but want to, I just haven't haven't had the time yet. The rest of the show I don't care for. 

With the exception of Iron Fist, I pretty much loved all the Marvel Netflix shows, though I'll admit season 2 of Luke Cage was disappointing.

I honestly thought everything was trash except Daredevil, and even that nearly fell off in season 2. Production values were obviously incredibly high but they never recreated a scrap of the writing or directing talent that really made DD. I wouldn't be surprised if they sunk a lot more cash into these than they should have.

I forced myself through JJ season 1, but I never managed to finish a single season of any of the others. Defenders was painful too.