NEurope
Cube

Netflix Live action Marvel shows - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Jessica Jones

It's good, but not great. It definitely still feels slow. The music in the final fight was incredibly jarring and took you out of it, really odd choice there. 

The music choice really was weird. When it started playing I thought that they must be cycling through different music styles for each hero but nope...just that one.

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Was it 99 Luftballoons?

You should watch Atomic Blonde.

I'm 6 episodes in, and personally I'm loving it. Some minor niggles, my main one is

Spoiler

that I really want them to show Alexandra do some bad-ass shit, to show how she got to be the leader in the first place. She got an incredible minor action scene, all of them did actually, but hers felt the weakest. I love Sigourney Weaver, but they didn't make her character imposing enough. Unless there's stuff in the last 2 episodes I don't know about..

I actually love the slow build-up. I thought it was fun to watch how they got together.

I've seen Daredevil and Jessica Jones, is there any point in watching Cage and Fist before going into Defenders?

Honestly I couldn't make it all the way through Luke Cage or Iron Fist but I'm not really feeling like I missed much going into The Defenders.

I've only watched about 5 or 6 eps so far but I never found it slow, in fact I've been loving every minute of it. The action is so much tighter and the dialogue and acting so much better than anything since Daredevil Season 1 IMO.

I quite enjoyed both, but having not seen Defenders yet, I can't say if you'll need to see them. I concede that both were quite slow and plodsome though.

I'm very disappointed with The Defenders. I loved Daredevil S01, I loved Cage and Jessica Jones, I liked Iron Fist and Daredevil S02 (loved the Punisher parts).

Spoiler

I can safely say it has to do with both the Hand storyline and the actress playing Elektra. The Hand doesn't feel nearly evil enough to warrant the attention they're getting. Élodie  Yung doesn't play a convincing Elektra Natchios, very shallow.

Kingpin, Cottonmouth, Black Mariah, Killgrave and Frank Castle have all been far better performances. Madame Gao/Crane Mother was cool in Daredevil S01 but lost that epic villain vibe somewhere halfway Iron Fist. Murakami and Bakuto where really bland, and the two Fingers of the Hand that performed great (Sowande and Alexandra) were killed of without much grandeur.

Really a let down for me as I had high hopes for this series.

Anyone watched The Punisher?

It was pretty good. Felt nothing like a Marvel show, more like a long CIA thriller film or something like that, but it was pretty well written and the pacing was good. I'd say it was better than Luke Cage and Iron Fist, but not as good as Daredevil or JJ.

I still have three episodes left, but so far it's easily the worst MCU show. 

I can't remember how many episodes I have left, but so far I agree with Cube.

International Women's Day which is...well intentioned I'm sure.

Is it this show that is going to have all female directors this season or am I thinking of something else?

Luke Cage season 2 is coming June 22nd, and a trailer has been released

I haven't watched the first season but heard that is was slow. This seems better although I think 13 episodes are too much. 5 or 8oght have been better.

Who's the villain?

Looks ok, but I don't like comic book films/shows where the bad guy in just an evil version of the good guy with similar powers - kind of smells of a lack of ideas.

Luke Cage is out now, who's gonna watch it?

I'm actually looking forward to it. The first season was a bit ponderous, but I have slightly higher hopes for this one.

I couldnt make it through season 1 but maybe I'll skip to this one

So i've now watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Luke Cage, and it's.....pretty similar to season 1. It's still pretty slow, although that doesn't bother me too much, but the dialogue is still awfully clunky and awkward. people just say odd things all the time that don't feel natural or appropriate for the character. 

Also, why are the villains in Luke Cage all named after snakes? Is that a running theme in the comics for some reason? I like how they came up with a thin back story for why Cottonmouth was so named, and Diamondback obviously has a 'diamond back', but it seems like they just gave up with this new guy. He just appears in the first episode, and within the first 10 seconds of meeting him, he's all like "They call me Bushmaster!"......why? Because it's a pre-requisite to appear in this show to have a snakey name?

11 minutes ago, bob said:

So i've now watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Luke Cage, and it's.....pretty similar to season 1. It's still pretty slow, although that doesn't bother me too much, but the dialogue is still awfully clunky and awkward. people just say odd things all the time that don't feel natural or appropriate for the character.

I'm so glad to get a voice of sanity here. I've got friends who normally hate anything that's a little badly made, but they love Luke Cage. I also can't get over how bad almost every bit-part and extra actor is. Like, are they not even real extras, just people off the street?

I tried to get back into this and actually, there were a couple of episodes in the prison that weren't too bad. But then after that it goes back to the same tired crap. I've got long random drawn out scenes with Claire's side story that just doesn't go anywhere and nobody cares about. Talking goes on and on as if they think their dialogue is really thought-provoking and emotional when it's just boring. I just don't get what they're doing, it's a comic book story about an invincible guy with super strength, why is half of every episode just him talking to old guys in the hood...

• Like 1

I'm so glad to get a voice of sanity here. I've got friends who normally hate anything that's a little badly made, but they love Luke Cage. I also can't get over how bad almost every bit-part and extra actor is. Like, are they not even real extras, just people off the street?
I tried to get back into this and actually, there were a couple of episodes in the prison that weren't too bad. But then after that it goes back to the same tired crap. I've got long random drawn out scenes with Claire's side story that just doesn't go anywhere and nobody cares about. Talking goes on and on as if they think their dialogue is really thought-provoking and emotional when it's just boring. I just don't get what they're doing, it's a comic book story about an invincible guy with super strength, why is half of every episode just him talking to old guys in the hood...
I don't think it's the actors, I think it's the script. You can tell because when some of the characters crossover into other shows you don't notice it as much. Luke Cage was great in Defenders, and Claire seems like a normal human being in Daredevil.

5 minutes ago, bob said:
18 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I don't think it's the actors, I think it's the script. You can tell because when some of the characters crossover into other shows you don't notice it as much. Luke Cage was great in Defenders, and Claire seems like a normal human being in Daredevil.

I specifically mean small parts and extras. The chinese takeaway owner, a random shop visitor, goons, the people in the street who wanted Luke Cage to get their stuff back. All seriously dire. It's something that I have literally never noticed in a show before. But you could be right, it may be the dialogue even for them.

Looks like the Netflix CEO has confirmed that season 3 of Daredevil will premiere this year.

Watched the first episode of Iron Fist S2. Pretty good so far, but do they not have any American actors anymore? Seriously, Danny Rand, Colleen Wing,  and now the newly introduced Alice Eve character - all British putting on American accents?!