NEurope
Hero-of-Time

FAST:Racing Neo

Does look fantastic! love the gritty feel of it. It's got boost sound fx similar to F-Zero and the spin attack too.

And those visuals! I rest my StarFox case @Serebii

Stupid for Nintendo not to show some gameplay of this during the Direct.

Edited by Retro_Link

Stupid for Nintendo not to show some gameplay of this during the Direct.

I was thinking the same, why didn't they include this in the E3, I am quite sure it would change a lot regarding the opinion of the show.

It looks like they will give very good "Directs" (or how it is called) before (they've already gave them) and after the E3.

Has there been any mention as to when this game could be released?

I'm still amazed that Nintendo haven't tried to snap up Shin'en. :blank: They clearly share many of the same design philosophies and are absolute masters of working within hardware limitations (in fact, they seem to thrive off it) a perfect match for Nintendo if ever I saw one.

Has there been any mention as to when this game could be released?

I'm still amazed that Nintendo haven't tried to snap up Shin'en. :blank: They clearly share many of the same design philosophies and are absolute masters of working within hardware limitations (in fact, they seem to thrive off it) a perfect match for Nintendo if ever I saw one.

Think they said on Treehouse that the aim is for this year

I agree that Shinen should be snapped up by Nintendo. They're amazing. They managed those awesome graphics in Nano Assault Neo in 45 MB of space. It's incredible.

Edited by Serebii

Think they said on Treehouse that the aim is for this year
Hopefully soon. This would've been the perfect "you can download it right now!" game.

Well if Nintendo aren't gonna do F-Zero somebody else may as well. Just as long as the speed & track design is all there it could fill a very big hole in my heart (left by the death of Wipeout as much as the absence of F-Zero).

Edited by gaggle64

Shin’en Say They Personally Pushed The Wii U To The Limits With Fast Racing NEO

We had our first look at Fast Racing NEO earlier this week and it does indeed look glorious. The game runs at a buttery smooth 60fps and displays in 720p. If you saw the footage of the game during E3 then you’ll know that its also extremely fast. Shin’en’s Manfred Linzner believes that they personally pushed the Wii U to its limits with Fast Racing NEO and they’re extremely pleased with the results.

“When starting with the game we had a vision. We wanted to develop the most exciting futuristic racing game on the market. We decided from the beginning it will be 60fps, anything else was not an option for a game that fast. So we knew all GPU and CPU stuff must fit into 16 milliseconds, which isn’t a lot, especially when most games you get compared with are running on consoles with higher specs and with 30fps. We knew from the beginning we can’t develop this vision with techniques everyone else does use. We would need to find different ways to achieve our vision. This was a big motivation because we like working on limits and pushing boundaries.”

“We started experimenting for a year. After a short time we had a working prototype but it ran only at around 15 fps when we enabled all the cool stuff and effects you now see in the game. We had 8k Softshadows, a complete HDR pipeline, physical based rendering, SSAO, more than 10,000 drawcalls, High Quality Motionblur, High Quality Godrays, Cinematic Color Grading, Volumetric lighting and so on. It looked really pretty but was near unplayable.”

“We then needed the rest of the year to find fast enough solutions to handle all these effects or to find new solutions that give the same results. Often we used tricks from the past that are pretty complicated to implement but that deliver the same effect with a fraction of the costs. To make long story short: In the end we were pretty happy seeing finally the game reaching 60fps. When finally playing at 60fps with all bells and whistles for the first time we knew we did the best work in our career. I don’t say anyone else can’t go even further on Wii U, but personally we reached our limits.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/20/shinen-say-they-personally-pushed-the-wii-u-to-the-limits-with-fast-racing-neo/

Not gonna lie, after seeing some footage on Treehouse, this is one impressive looking game.

Of course, it's a high-speed futuristic racer, so you can count me right out. But it'll be intriguing to see whether the F-Zero diehards will put their money where their mouths are.

From what I saw of the game, I believe I will be purchasing this game, I love racers and it will be nice to have something a bit different on the Wii U.

I would still love to see an F-zero announced next E3 :D but hugely unlikely now, for several reasons

I'm afraid to say I've only just realised who they are, but yes, they are brilliant!

I finally tried Nano Assault Neo yesterday and was blown away by the quality. I've never seen an independent developer before who can put out a 3D game as polished as that. Seeing they're doing this as well, I'm looking forward to it even more.

Barely played the original. Tempted to give it a bash over the weekend!

You really should...

fastbanner.jpg

...I hear it's rather good.

;)

Sorry about the lack of images, it is a rather old review

New interview with Shinen from NWP!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/41037/interview-with-shinen-about-how-fast-racing-neo-came-together

NWR: In the final game, what will the feature set be like? Will multiplayer be in there, and what can the solo player expect? Will the challenge levels from the first game be present?

M: No, we left the challenges out for various reasons, but we have a hero mode, something for the core gamers where we make it - I wouldn't say extra hard or punishing, but the mechanics are different and it's something for the skilled power. I can say the boost power is shield power, I think most people can imagine what will happen, it'll be very hard because you can't bump into everyone. It's going to be something very special.

Ooh! I like the sound of that hero mode! Lots of risk and reward at play there where you have to balance between switching phases and keeping your health up! :D

Holy crap, how haven't I heard of this game before? It is literally F-Zero in all but name. It's funny that this thread is over two years old and I've never wandered in...

Nintendo really should have just given them the F-Zero license here since that is blatantly what they have made minus the Falcon.

Holy crap, how haven't I heard of this game before? It is literally F-Zero in all but name. It's funny that this thread is over two years old and I've never wandered in...

Nintendo really should have just given them the F-Zero license here since that is blatantly what they have made minus the Falcon.

I don't think that would have been such a great plan. For Shinen it would have put nintendo in charge to a large extent, so it would have been a different game, perhaps one that Shin'en weren't 100% behind and were unable to pull off as a result of that. The current game is born 100% from within and I think they have done a great job.

For Nintendo it would have been a draw on their resources making sure the game was taking the shape they had in their mind, possibly sending in teams to work with Shin'en.

There would also be the gamble of the game flopping, Nintendo would suffer as well... and fanbase not accepting the game.

The current situation, all Nintendo needed to do was not release a new F-zero, support Shin'en when help was requested, then as the game showed good promise give it the attention it deserved at E3.

If this game does great it would be interesting to see maybe an F-zero game at launch of the next home console and a FAST sequel mid cycle.. have a little competition between the two :P

Ive not really been taking much note but have we a release date for this?

Just watched that 18 minute footage.

Something doesn't sit right with me...can't point my finger on it. Maybe it's the ships...they are too big.

And the first few courses seem really flat and uninspiring.

Mind you, this could change and it might also play really well as it is. Going from that trailer it's just not doing it for me sadly :(

Just watched that 18 minute footage.

Something doesn't sit right with me...can't point my finger on it. Maybe it's the ships...they are too big.

And the first few courses seem really flat and uninspiring.

Mind you, this could change and it might also play really well as it is. Going from that trailer it's just not doing it for me sadly :(

Kind of agree - perhaps it my feel more immersive playing it.

Played some FAST this weekend. I'd it me or is too hard? The cars you start with are slow and they just overtake you all the time, unless I'm missing something. I can have perfect laps but still fall behind....