NEurope
Jimbob

Blockbusters to enter Administration (again)

Yeah, the original thread was last posted in January, thought it was a little too far gone.

Story

After being saved earlier in the year, Blockbusters is poised to go into administration once again, putting 2,000 jobs on the line once more. Do you think it is time to say goodbye to Blockbusters considering the likes of Netflix, LoveFILM etc are readily available for £5-£8 a month.

Thoughts everyone.

Yeah, it's time for them to go really. Shame about the job losses but online subscriptions are just much cheaper and more convenient.

NO! I DON'T WANT THEM TO GO! I like having a look in there, their blu-rays are pretty cheap as well. The one where I am is always busy as well so I hope it's not that one. The funniest thing was that they were putting up job vacancies on Sunday and I handed them a CV. Popped in today and found this out (been at work all day and thought I'd pop in to see what had happened). Shame, really.

I just do not want everything to turn to downloads, I'd rather have a hard copy of something but I can see the way it's going to go and I don't like it one bit! :(

I DON'T LIKE CHAAAANGE! :weep:

Im not all that surprised to be honest. Since their troubles earlier in the year apart from closing a few stores nothing seemed to have changed. Say what you will about GAME but I have noticed positive changes with them.

This doesn't affect me... at all... :blank:

I have never used Blockbusters ever, mainly because there are better places to buy/rent films/games from, plus I haven't 'rented' anything in forever so I question the market for places like this to even exist any more. ::shrug:

So I don't really see this as either a good or bad thing personally, just general feelings of apathy toward a company that didn't mean much to me other than being a name that I vaguely recognised. :indeed:

It would be nice if their soon to be ex-employees can find work elsewhere but aside from that, I suppose it was time? : peace:

Very stupidly, my nephew with the help of his dad has been putting money into his Xbox One order with them for a few months now, and is probably up to about £200. Not the best thing to do with a company who's been in administration already.

Luckily though, they're offering refunds...for the time being anyway.

Im not all that surprised to be honest. Since their troubles earlier in the year apart from closing a few stores nothing seemed to have changed. Say what you will about GAME but I have noticed positive changes with them.

Blockbuster were always going to lose out, unless things changed quick. GAME is adapting, which i can see with my own eyes. Argos is adapting and HMV seems to be showing signs of that.

It's bad about 2,000 possible job losses, but with a company losing money all the time i think it's about time Blockbuster closed it's doors for the last time. Take it behind the shed and put it out of it's misery.

I'm not surprised they don't exist in North America anymore after they went bust! People bemoan the lose and does suck not being able to browse one, but realistically when was the last time 90% of the population did this?!

I bought Alien Hominid from a nearby Blockbusters in Reading sometime around 2005. Can't say I enjoyed the game, therefore I am glad this place is closing.

Very stupidly, my nephew with the help of his dad has been putting money into his Xbox One order with them for a few months now, and is probably up to about £200. Not the best thing to do with a company who's been in administration already.

Luckily though, they're offering refunds...for the time being anyway.

oh man - abort! abort!!!

when GAME was in trouble we had so, SO many people kicking off about their gift cards, and since nothing was confirmed at the time the company wasn't offering refunds... i remember thinking "god, these people are putting their money into a system that could easily collapse and they might never see that money again" ... then i got to thinking "but even if the company weren't in trouble - putting money onto a gift card to buy things is stupid 'cause if you lose that card, it's gone."loads of people think that if they lose a gift card they can just bring int he receipt for it - i had to explain to a lady that she couldnt do that recently, she'd had £20 on a card, lost it, then tried to pay with the receipt. luckily she didn't go too mental... but it really made me wonder why people do it........... if you need to pay off a console, just make sure a certain amount is left in your bank each month, surely? or if you can't do that - set up a separate current account and just pay it into that and don't learn the pin number.

istock_000016487553small.jpg?w=300

oopsh! i went off on a tangent there, didn't i?

tl;dr - gift cards are dumb. :blank:

Blockbuster were always going to lose out, unless things changed quick. GAME is adapting, which i can see with my own eyes. Argos is adapting and HMV seems to be showing signs of that.

It's bad about 2,000 possible job losses, but with a company losing money all the time i think it's about time Blockbuster closed it's doors for the last time. Take it behind the shed and put it out of it's misery.

Adapting how?

As for blockbusters, tbh I thought they were pretty much bust anyway/just running an online service of sales - every blockbuster I've known in the local area/driven past has been derelict or something else. It's a shame, but as you say they're running behind the times. I'll just look at it as a potential bargain or two before they go down.

oh man - abort! abort!!!

when GAME was in trouble we had so, SO many people kicking off about their gift cards, and since nothing was confirmed at the time the company wasn't offering refunds... i remember thinking "god, these people are putting their money into a system that could easily collapse and they might never see that money again" ... then i got to thinking "but even if the company weren't in trouble - putting money onto a gift card to buy things is stupid 'cause if you lose that card, it's gone."loads of people think that if they lose a gift card they can just bring int he receipt for it - i had to explain to a lady that she couldnt do that recently, she'd had £20 on a card, lost it, then tried to pay with the receipt. luckily she didn't go too mental... but it really made me wonder why people do it........... if you need to pay off a console, just make sure a certain amount is left in your bank each month, surely? or if you can't do that - set up a separate current account and just pay it into that and don't learn the pin number.

istock_000016487553small.jpg?w=300

oopsh! i went off on a tangent there, didn't i?

tl;dr - gift cards are dumb. :blank:

I have never really understood the idea/point/concept of gift cards. Well, I get it but...it's cash. You're cashing cash into a cash equivalent with limits, so it's essentially worth less? If gift cards gave you a 10% discount or something then maybe it'd be cool and ting but nope! Offer bugger all of anything, really. Especially when stuff like this happens, like what HMV did too.

I have never really understood the idea/point/concept of gift cards. Well, I get it but...it's cash. You're cashing cash into a cash equivalent with limits, so it's essentially worth less? If gift cards gave you a 10% discount or something then maybe it'd be cool and ting but nope! Offer bugger all of anything, really. Especially when stuff like this happens, like what HMV did too.

SAAAAAME.

actually i have a bunch of ideas pinned for when i get old and lazy and start giving my great grandkids money instead of buying them whatever x-play-box-station-6300 game they want to have downloaded straight to their brain...

d88b13fc23c30ce2a835362851af7e57.jpg

61df23f9f4b2c183c527ebe9daa9557f.jpg

d4abaf86984667a5d134660d6d8984c4.jpg

A good idea to give to someone while INSIDE a LOW ROOFED building: :weep:

600cc1f03ce0d8803382bf89974adbf1.jpg

and if i wanted to be a total dick...

f40abfa5c50f94df9ced59dbb0462eab.jpg

SAAAAAME.

actually i have a bunch of ideas pinned for when i get old and lazy and start giving my great grandkids money instead of buying them whatever x-play-box-station-6300 game they want to have downloaded straight to their brain...

d88b13fc23c30ce2a835362851af7e57.jpg

61df23f9f4b2c183c527ebe9daa9557f.jpg

d4abaf86984667a5d134660d6d8984c4.jpg

A good idea to give to someone while INSIDE a LOW ROOFED building: :weep:

600cc1f03ce0d8803382bf89974adbf1.jpg

and if i wanted to be a total dick...

f40abfa5c50f94df9ced59dbb0462eab.jpg

That's so awesome!

In other news; dude gets refused £450 refund for his PS4 - protests his way through to success;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-24768745

In other news; dude gets refused £450 refund for his PS4 - protests his way through to success;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-24768745

That article is hilarious.

Not only did someone pre-order a games console at a struggling company who has just been through an administration and has no signs of their situation improving (unlike GAME), but he actually paid up-front for it, too.

I can see why staff in places like Game push them for console pre-orders though - it doubles their figures. A gift card sale counts as X amount, and then when they come in to buy the console it counts as X amount again. Obviously the company only earns it once, but the way the figures work (unless they've changed them) you get it twice. In a target-driven atmosphere its an easy cheat.

Which is one of the many reasons why forcing staff/stores to have targets is a shit practice.

Definitely inclined to agree. Who would order with Blockbusters even BEFORE they had trouble? Seems a strange place to go for your games console. I never understood the paying before you buy thing either - what benefit is it going to confer? Maybe if stock was an issue/risk, but tbh I don't think there'll be much shortage on supply.

Oh and benefits to whacking all your money on a card - makes it a lot quicker to pay and you can put all your trade ins on it in advance.

I can't recall if you get reward points on gift cards (Bluey?), if so then they could also double up.

Edited by Ashley

Definitely inclined to agree. Who would order with Blockbusters even BEFORE they had trouble? Seems a strange place to go for your games console. I never understood the paying before you buy thing either - what benefit is it going to confer? Maybe if stock was an issue/risk, but tbh I don't think there'll be much shortage on supply.

I think some people believe that paying up front guarantees you'll get your game/system, when in actual fact I doubt it has any more effect than just paying the deposit.

With Blockbusters stock now free, i reckon Shopto/GAME will snag a few more for pre-orders they've got now.