NEurope
bluey

The Great Big Job Hunt Thread

know what ash? i'd be stalking that company's phone number and calling tomorrow am, telling them you just got fired because of that ridiculous website O_O oh in fact, hey look!

London, UK

+44 (0) 203 627 2130

36-37 Featherstone street 3rd floor

London EC1Y 8QZ

United Kingdom

it's CRAZY that a company would use that kind of sign up then spam your entire contacts list - imagine if that HAD had that effect?! i once applied to a job while still employed and despite ticking the "do not contact" box, they called my then current boss for a reference... needless to say, that didn't go down well, so when the job i'd interviewed for called to say "thanks but no thanks" they got the earful of a lifetime from me. :mad:

They're actually on my old cycle route to work (one job and two houses ago). I emailed them moaning about it, will see what they say.

Truth be told I can get away with it as they know I'm pursuing creative things in addition to work. Plus I've quit twice already. But that's not the point, it's such a fucking awful idea.

Anyone want to share some pearls of wisdom or general interview tips. Been a while since my last and seeing how I've failed on numerous occasions I'm obviously doing something wrong.

So today I got a text out of the blue asking me if I wanted a part time job at my old school, working 2 days a week.

To provide a bit of back story, I left in July due to anxiety and depression from the job (although I didn't tell them that). I most definitely don't want to teach anymore but unfortunately I haven't managed to get a job doing something else and haven't had much supply work, so funds are low. Good news is I'm now very happy and enjoying life again.

It's a very hard decision to make, but think I'm going to go for it, in the hope that 2 days a week won't be so bad and I'll have 5 days weekends. I won't enjoy teaching, but maybe 2 days won't be enough to bring me down, plus the workload will be more manageable. I will still have crazy targets to make, but hopefully I won't care as much working part time- which is bad I know. The school I worked in is in a VERY deprived area, and most of the kids lead terrible lives, which I know will still get to me.

Decisions, decisions!

Edit: @Ramar One good tip is, what can you offer that other candidates can't? You can try to answer questions perfectly but you need to stand out from the crowd, something that will make you memorable. If you don't get the job it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong. You could have been the best you could be, but someone else just had a little more experience or there was an internal candidate guaranteed the job. It's tough and rubbish, but one day it will work in your favour.

Edited by Emma

Ugh, I think it went terrible. Grilled for 90 minutes by four people. Couldn't answer some of their questions. Don't think I suited the job much anyway..

If anyone is job hunting do not use the site 'Job and Talent'. During sign up you're asked coerced into connecting to your email address book. At this stage it emails everyone with a spammy "Hey I'm job hunting, why don't you do so too?" email. Which is just great if you have ever emailed your current employer...

Sounds like you're speaking from personal experience.

Anyone want to share some pearls of wisdom or general interview tips. Been a while since my last and seeing how I've failed on numerous occasions I'm obviously doing something wrong.

A bit late, but for future reference/other people.

I think it's important t know about yourself. It sounds a bit silly, but people spend so much time researching the company and the job, that when they get asked "What can you bring to the job?" or even more general things such as "What did you learn during your degree?" "What makes you a better candidate than other people?" suddenly they're stumped. Their hours of wikipedia research into what company X did and what skills are best for job description Y are suddenly useless. Obviously those are important as well, but make sure you go through everything on your CV/application and know that whatever they ask about it, you've got an answer (as well as some general questions about yourself).

Ugh, I think it went terrible. Grilled for 90 minutes by four people. Couldn't answer some of their questions. Don't think I suited the job much anyway..

I sometimes find that the interviews that you think went terribly actually went really well because you had to put a lot of thought into all of your answers.

Conversly, I used to find that the tests I found really easy at school were the ones I'd done worst at.

I sometimes find that the interviews that you think went terribly actually went really well because you had to put a lot of thought into all of your answers.

Conversly, I used to find that the tests I found really easy at school were the ones I'd done worst at.

Usually I find that too. However, I don't think this is the case this time.

Usually I find that too. However, I don't think this is the case this time.

I know what you mean, there are occasions when you come out of a test and you know you've done poorly.

Regardless, take what you've learned from the experience and move on with it.

My girlfriend has been a volunteer teaching assistant for aaaages. A paid version of said job appeared at her school and she was overlooked. She's applied for various other TA jobs and just had no luck. She's great with the kids but just isn't an interview person, and it's just so harsh. OAP women are getting the job over here, and they have no real understanding of how to properly assist kids with autism or dyspraxia or dyslexia. It's so hard to apply for a job you know you can do, when the employer has opinions of secondary applicant preferences that aren't made apparant at the advertising stage.

Ultimately she needs someone to give her a chance - something all jobhunters emphasise with, I'm sure. I was personally pretty strong with rejection and ultimately lucked out, but rejection can be really hard and actually detrimental for some people going into future interviews.

Bleh.

Sorry to bring this thread back for something that isn't exactly job hunt related, but I have a question that I need answering rather urgently.

I'm currently working as a Christmas temp at a store, and I've noticed my hours are slowly increasing, I have 15 this week. I know that if I work 16 hours or over, I have to sign off at the job center, and my job contract expires on 24th December, with no guarantee of renewal.

However, one of my friends has informed me that I have to wait 6 months to be able to reapply for Jobseekers Allowance after signing off, which means I'd be pretty much screwed. Is this actually true? If so, is there any way around it? Thanks if anyone can help...

Sorry to bring this thread back for something that isn't exactly job hunt related, but I have a question that I need answering rather urgently.

I'm currently working as a Christmas temp at a store, and I've noticed my hours are slowly increasing, I have 15 this week. I know that if I work 16 hours or over, I have to sign off at the job center, and my job contract expires on 24th December, with no guarantee of renewal.

However, one of my friends has informed me that I have to wait 6 months to be able to reapply for Jobseekers Allowance after signing off, which means I'd be pretty much screwed. Is this actually true? If so, is there any way around it? Thanks if anyone can help...

Erm never heard of that happened before. Your friend might have had a sanction for failing to do something.

Basically you just reapply. If you have been JSA before in the past 6 months then you can make a "rapid claim".

Erm never heard of that happened before. Your friend might have had a sanction for failing to do something.

Basically you just reapply. If you have been JSA before in the past 6 months then you can make a "rapid claim".

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest, that's helped a lot. :)