NEurope
Dcubed

Shovel Knight

This tweet is a month old, but I've only just seen it so thought I'd post...

That is quite a long wait! I also expected them to put out the Showdown game a bit earlier.

Anyway, still got Plague Knight to play, so April actually is not too bad, means I can spread out my Shovel Knight fix a bit.

Awesome support by the way from Yacht Club!

The DLC and other stuff has been pushed back.

One Last Delay

We have only a bit more work left to do on completing King of Cards and Showdown. The two, brand new, complete games coming to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. It remains our focus to bring these to the highest level of quality just as we have with previous Shovel Knight games. It’s also our priority to have these games on the disc/card for the upcoming physical version. We need a little more time to make this happen, and so we are pushing the release back one last time. We’re still aiming to release everything at once, so this this delay applies to everything: physical editions, digital update, and Treasure Trove amiibo 3-pack.

How far back?

We estimate several months– at most! This is not a major delay so much as more space to bring everything together for a polished and complete finale. As always, these last steps require coordination with many teams beyond our own.

We realize the delay is disappointing. To communicate better with everyone moving forward, we will not be announcing a new date until we know one for sure, from all partners involved. All builds shipped out, updates ready to launch, for everybody and everyone. We will announce it for good once it is 100% all across the board!

Are the amiibo delayed too?

Yes. We’re eager for the newest knights join everyone’s collection! However, the update which brings support for these new amiibo are connected to the release of the King of Cards. As described above, we need more time before it is ready for release and so we’ll announce when we know for sure. You can also pre-order to get them right when they’re available from Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop.

There are different dates in different online stores. Are they real?

These dates are placeholders. Stores require and request certain information ahead of time, and we do our best to provide our most accurate guesses at that time! Updating these dates are also not something we can do instantaneously (or seemingly at all sometimes!). We will announce the final release date here on our website once we know for sure. You can also pre-order to get it right when it’s available from Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Pfew, a couple of months. Just quoting myself here from 2 posts up:

On 31-8-2018 at 10:10 AM, Vileplume2000 said:

That is quite a long wait! I also expected them to put out the Showdown game a bit earlier.

All the respect for taking the time to finish the DLC and be so true to what they promised in the Kickstarter. But I'm a bit bummed about it, I was really looking forward to playing King of Cards in april, I even planned my playing of Axiom Verge and Shantae accordingly. Now I have a gap in my 2D platformer planning!

The amount of time they're taking to develop King of Cards, it really should just be a brand new game at this point, with completely new levels. Fingers crossed. If the Hollow Knight devs, a three person team, can put out a sequel so fast then I'd expect Yacht Club to as well.

content-4-35710-shovelknightdelayedbanner.jpg

I've written a quick summary plus posted the whole PR update in the article.

Thanks to @Hero-of-Time for the heads up, I've credited you at the bottom of the article. :peace:

This news is surely a blow but at least it sounds like Yacht Club Games are doing it right.

It has been so long that I did just buy Shovel Knight when the Switch came out, I didn't even know we'd be getting a physical version.

Definitely double-dipping... wait... PC, Wii U, 3DS, Switch... quadruple-dipping? on this one. :blush:

• Thanks 3

I'm torn. I have the game on Wii U but don't want to dig that out to play KoC. On the other hand, I don't want to spend money on buying a game again that I can play on Wii U for free.

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm torn. I have the game on Wii U but don't want to dig that out to play KoC. On the other hand, I don't want to spend money on buying a game again that I can play on Wii U for free.

The simplest solution to your problem is not to play the game at all.. an option I'm very much considering :blank:

7 minutes ago, nekunando said:

The simplest solution to your problem is not to play the game at all.. an option I'm very much considering :blank:

That may happen, yeah. Depending on the amount of games I want to play when this is out.

13 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I tend to do this a lot when it comes to DLC. Usually once I finish a game i'm quite content to move on to something else. If DLC takes ages to arrive I find it really hard to go back to the game. Mario & Rabbids is a good example of this. I LOVED the base game and by all accounts the Donkey Kong DLC is fantastic but I just can't bring myself to fire the game up, especially if I have to relearn all of the mechanics again. Captain Toad is the exception to this rule.  :p 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I tend to do this a lot when it comes to DLC. Usually once I finish a game i'm quite content to move on to something else. If DLC takes ages to arrive I find it really hard to go back to the game. Mario & Rabbids is a good example of this. I LOVED the base game and by all accounts the Donkey Kong DLC is fantastic but I just can't bring myself to fire the game up, especially if I have to relearn all of the mechanics again. Captain Toad is the exception to this rule.  :p 

It doesn't help when they're sending mixed messages about what King of Cards actually is. Is it DLC, should it be considered a brand new game. I suspect if the devs could go back and take these stretch goals out of their original Kickstarter they would trip over themselves to do it.

Just now, Ronnie said:

I suspect if the devs could go back and take these stretch goals out of their original Kickstarter they would trip over themselves to do it.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, it's admirable what they are doing but had they not made those goals they could have easily had their next game out by now. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I agree. I mean, it's admirable what they are doing but had they not made those goals they could have easily had their next game out by now. 

I'm like you I'm never particularly invested in DLC. I like a game to have a beginning and an end and then I move on to something else. With Shovel Knight it's tricky because Specter of Torment felt like a new game, but it kind of isn't because all the stages share similar themes and background art... it just seems a really messy way of making games.

The lack of enjoyment from DLC is the reason I'm really glad Nintendo haven't released any Mario Odyssey dlc kingdoms (yet), hopefully that points to a full sequel in the works, which I'd much prefer.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I will pick up the Captain Toad DLC in the near future as I've totally finished the game otherwise and would love a reason to go back. I haven't picked up Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2, though, as I haven't even beat the main game yet (can't seem to find that desire to jump into it ever :hmm: ) and I haven't bought the expansion for Breath of the Wild either because my interest largely died off in the game as soon as I beat it. I was enjoying searching for Shrines and exploring the world but as soon as I went into Hyrule Castle and defeated Ganon I'm just not sure I want more.. though I do sometimes feel like going back in to find the remaining 60, or so, Shrines!

With King of Cards, though, it's free so there's no barrier of entry other than the fact that I've only beat the original Shovel Knight in Treasure Trove and not touched the other content yet.. but I didn't even enjoy the base game that much anyway, unfortunately.

Edited by nekunando

Can’t really fault them for sticking to their original promises.  How many other developers would honour a set of 6+ year old promises from a Kickstarter!?

These guys are amazing, but I hope they never end up promising the earth like this again.  They’ve basically given away three SK sequels and a battle spinoff for nothing in return! They can’t consider doing anything that mad again! They won’t survive as a company if they do!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, would someone mind telling me what's so great about this game? I haven played it yet, and I'm always looking for good games. People seem to love this, but from what I've seen of it (which admittedly is not much) it doesn't seem all that special amongst the vast modern sea of Indie platformers.

Would love to be told I'm wrong though.

3 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Hey guys, would someone mind telling me what's so great about this game? I haven played it yet, and I'm always looking for good games. People seem to love this, but from what I've seen of it (which admittedly is not much) it doesn't seem all that special amongst the vast modern sea of Indie platformers.

Admitedly, the original Shovel Knight released 5 years ago when we hadn't been flooded with a million Indie platformers, but regardless it basically mixes the best aspects of Mega Man, Castlevania, Duck Tales, Zelda II and Mario 3 into one hugely polished game with top notch action gameplay, amazing audio, and lovely visuals. It's a retro throwback that ditches all the bad stuff from 80s/90s gaming and keeps the best bits. Here's a great video from the brilliant Mark Brown about what makes it so special:

Also bear in mind if you buy Treasure Trove you get 4 games in 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

It takes all the best bits from the NES era of platformers and brings them into the modern age. It has the tight controls of the early Mega Man games but without the punishing difficulty level. Also, the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic.

The game arrived before the indie/Kickstarter boom happened and as such it thankfully got a lot of recognition. I'm not so sure it would have got as much praise and attention if it was released today. This isn't anything to do with its quality but more to do with the fact that the market is stupidly flooded now.

If you grew up during the NES era you owe it to yourself to play this game.

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

It's a NES era style platformer that actually is as good as the likes of SMB3, Castlevania and Mega Man 2 and legitimately stands shoulder to shoulder with them.  Unlike with every other retro inspired platformer out there, that's not hyperbole with Shovel Knight!

Edited by Dcubed

Alright I'm sold. It seems like great value, and from the sounds of it the developers are worthy of our patronage. 

I shall play after finishing Vesperia... so it may be a while.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Alright I'm sold. It seems like great value, and from the sounds of it the developers are worthy of our patronage. 

I shall play after finishing Vesperia... so it may be a while.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Note that when the final DLC drops and the physical release will come out, they will increase the price of the game from €25 to €40. So if you go digital best to pick it up before that. On the other hand, it is also regularly on sale on the eShop so you can pick it up for around €20.

I'm almost entirely digital now cause I'm a lazy bastard who can't be bothered to swap games out.

Plus I used to be over generous with lending my games out and never getting them back (my darling Killer 7, where did you go?).