NEurope
Dcubed

Shovel Knight

That's about right actually since the US price doesn't include VAT. The direct conversion from $15 is around €11.86 right now, so add VAT on top of that; then you have to consider that Yacht Club Games will need to convert those Euros they earn into USD, so add processing fees on top of that for them and it is gonna end up being about €15.

Fair enough. I thought at this stage it might be cheaper on Steam, it has been out 4 months now nevermind when it releases here. But it's not so it's a level playing field, price wise. I'm not disputing its quality, I've sung its praises on high in this thread and many other indie games. Chances are I'll be buying it on day 1, its quality is something I've never questioned. :)

@Ronnie Give it a rest. I've nothing to say to you. You "are" on my ignore list, the great big population of 1. That's right, just you, it's been that way for a long, long time and will remain that way. I might have disagreements with others but you irritate me no end. That doesn't mean that I don't still get notifications, saying you've quoted or mentioned me. I know when I see them that you're having your usual little pop as always. I find it hard to believe you've not had a warning about this before. I think you have and I'm going to have a little word with someone about this, not about your last quote but plenty of the others.

Do you see me quote you all the time? I challenge you to show the last time I quoted you or mentioned you. Get it into your head I want nothing to do with you, so leave me be as I plain to see leave you alone.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

What version are people getting? HD visuals on the Wii U would obviously be nice, but the bitesize pick up and play nature of the 3DS might win me over.

Both of course! : peace:

Remember that each will have exclusive content (3DS = Streetpass Battle - Wii U = Diggers Diary + 4 Player Battle mode, the latter is to be added after launch)

Edited by Dcubed

Both of course! : peace:

Remember that each will have exclusive content (3DS = Streetpass Battle - Wii U = 4 Player Battle mode, added after launch)

Is that going to be online?

Is that going to be online?

Local only because Yacht Club Games have nobody on their team that have any network programming experience (that's also why it's Wii U only, because they collectively don't have the knowhow to do 3DS Local Wireless programming - they said as much back during the Kickstarter)

Local only because Yacht Club Games have nobody on their team that have any network programming experience (that's also why it's Wii U only, because they collectively don't have the knowhow to do 3DS Local Wireless programming - they said as much back during the Kickstarter)

It's a shame but totally understandable. Local multiplayer is no good to me though.

Having played both the Wii U version and the Steam version, it's no contest which is better.

Playing this on the Wii U with the Wiimote is literally heaven and it's such a nostalgia trip. Yes it might be cheaper on Steam but it's an incredible experience on Wii U :) GOTY for me.

Exactly where someone like Nintendo should take note and reach out to help. Hopefully Adelman might manage to make a bit more progress in the future coming from the other side.

Exactly where someone like Nintendo should take note and reach out to help. Hopefully Adelman might manage to make a bit more progress in the future coming from the other side.

What can they do? Lend their own staff out to make the online mode for them? They're already strapped for staff as it is!

YCG barely had enough money to support the staff they currently had, let alone adding another network programmer on top of that. Nor did they even have the time to develop a network mode (the 4 player battle mode isn't gonna be out for a while yet and they will really need to start working on their next project soon anyway).

YCG is just a very small dev team. You guys are expecting too much from them! Not even Wayforward (which is many times larger than YCG) have online and local wireless multiplayer modes in their games and none of their staff have any network experience either (which of course also extends to YCG since they're all ex Wayforward staff).

So... I finally decided upon a version to get and have defeated the first six knights. Structurally, it's like Mega Man, with a lot of the combat and enemies from Zelda II. Needless to say, it's an absolute love letter to them both.

I believe this style is known as 12-bit, and for good reason. Although the visuals are reminiscent of the NES, in reality it's more than an 8-bit console could manage. My personal preference is for pixel art games to try and better the 32-bit style - such as the Sega's Saturn and System 32 hardware - but this game is aimed at those nostalgic for the NES, and so in that regard it couldn't be any more perfect.

Jake Kaufman's music is nice. Doesn't quite tingle my ears as much as Shantae: RR or Mighty Switch Force, but it's still a class act, and suits the slightly more "aggressive" (but noble!) protagonist.

Shovel Knight is quite challenging. So far, though, nothing has taken me too long, and it's the type of challenge that always improves your gameplay skills. The jump is quite floaty and generous, and there are also various potions and sub-weapons that ease your way. I must confess I am not a massive fan of difficult games - instead preferring more exploration - but, again, for the audience they're going for, they seem to have judged it exactly right.

There are also a satisfying number of upgrades and collectibles linked to the villages, so it's never just a case of going from A to B. OK, it's no RPG, but it's exactly right for a platformer.

Overall then - intrigue, charm and a hint of romance. Shovel Knight is everything it could have been.

I'm finding it quite challenging to be honest, have died a few times and I'm only an hour or so in. Challenging in a good way!

Really stupid question... I've finished three levels so far I believe, the first and then the two ones with a boss at the end. Have I beaten 2 of the 6 main bosses in the game already?!

Really stupid question... I've finished three levels so far I believe, the first and then the two ones with a boss at the end. Have I beaten 2 of the 6 main bosses in the game already?!

Yeah, it's like Mega Man, where every significant level is the domain of a boss.

"Halfway"

So yeah, I suppose it's pretty short, with the high-ish difficulty level intended to prolong the game length.

Wow that's really disappointing. I was under the impression there were a couple of dozen levels. Fourth level complete, half the bosses already finished? Hmmm....

For the record, there are a few optional bosses and levels. Plus all sorts of hidden stuff to find.

It's definitely worth the 12 quid, take it from someone who's finished the game.

(Truly Glorious, will talk about in more detail later.)

For the record, there are a few optional bosses and levels. Plus all sorts of hidden stuff to find.

It's definitely worth the 12 quid, take it from someone who's finished the game.

(Truly Glorious, will talk about in more detail later.)

GOTY contender? For me it's a toss up of this and Bayonetta.

GOTY contender? For me it's a toss up of this and Bayonetta.

What about Bayonetta 2? ;)

I've beaten all the knights now (as far as I'm aware) and just have what I presume is the final tower.

Tinker Knight was my favourite so far - really loved up to my idea of what a good boss is like. Propeller Knight's stage had some tough platforming and the musical pages in Polar Knight's domain were hard to collect (I couldn't get one of them).

Definitely a game that Mega Man fans will love.

What can they do? Lend their own staff out to make the online mode for them? They're already strapped for staff as it is!

You're right, Nintendo can't do anything. ;)

I've decided to put this on a queue of 'to buy' rather than get it now, I had intended to play through Scram Kitty and Earthbound by now, and I've barely touched SK let alone Earthbound at all. I'd ask ofc, my usual question, for any of those who've completed it - what's your clocked time?

You're right, Nintendo can't do anything. ;)

I've decided to put this on a queue of 'to buy' rather than get it now, I had intended to play through Scram Kitty and Earthbound by now, and I've barely touched SK let alone Earthbound at all. I'd ask ofc, my usual question, for any of those who've completed it - what's your clocked time?

Just under 6 hours, but that's not a 100% run. Or with all the "feats".

Around 4 and a quarter hours until I saw the credits.

Managed to collect 86% of items and over 33% of the feats. (Basically achievements. Some are just brutal and I doubt I'll ever do some of them)

Think it's about time I gave my thoughts about the game.

PROS

+ DAT SOUNDTRACK! So brilliantly catchy! And so loud, even with the pathetic XL speakers.

+ Man, this game looks good. Some fantastic sprite work going on here.

+ Some of the best 3D effect I've seen in a 3DS game. Really small details truly make all the difference.

+ The checkpoint system is genius. Nuff said.

+ Great replay value.

+ Fun use of streetpass. It's no last minute addition, that's for sure.

+ Simple but surprisingly charming story.

+ Controls are spot on, not to mention customisable. You don't have to use Up + Attack to use relics.

+ Healthy dose of challenge. It's tough, but not impossible.

CON

- I don't care if it makes it tougher, Castlevania knockback is unfair when there's bottomless pits. Luckily, the punishment for death is pretty lenient.

Yeah, that's the only con I could think of. And it's pretty minor.

As for whether I'd say it was GOTY material (which @Goron_3 asked me)

No.

As brilliant as it is, there are at least two 3DS games I enjoyed more. (Smash Bros and Theatrhythm)

I'd say this is about Bayonetta 2 levels of greatness, which is pretty damn great.

Around 4 and a quarter hours until I saw the credits.

Managed to collect 86% of items and over 33% of the feats. (Basically achievements. Some are just brutal and I doubt I'll ever do some of them)

Think it's about time I gave my thoughts about the game.

PROS

+ DAT SOUNDTRACK! So brilliantly catchy! And so loud, even with the pathetic XL speakers.

+ Man, this game looks good. Some fantastic sprite work going on here.

+ Some of the best 3D effect I've seen in a 3DS game. Really small details truly make all the difference.

+ The checkpoint system is genius. Nuff said.

+ Great replay value.

+ Fun use of streetpass. It's no last minute addition, that's for sure.

+ Simple but surprisingly charming story.

+ Controls are spot on, not to mention customisable. You don't have to use Up + Attack to use relics.

+ Healthy dose of challenge. It's tough, but not impossible.

CON

- I don't care if it makes it tougher, Castlevania knockback is unfair when there's bottomless pits. Luckily, the punishment for death is pretty lenient.

Yeah, that's the only con I could think of. And it's pretty minor.

As for whether I'd say it was GOTY material (which @Goron_3 asked me)

No.

As brilliant as it is, there are at least two 3DS games I enjoyed more. (Smash Bros and Theatrhythm)

I'd say this is about Bayonetta 2 levels of greatness, which is pretty damn great.

All that plus Butt Mode ;)

Truly this game has it all :yay:

I've just got to what i hoped was the final boss...and died god damn it,

Got to echo everything that @Glen\-i said, this is almost a perfect game, my only criticism isn't really a criticism its left me wanting more! not that the game is too short, its just the right length but damn i want more now!

Changing my tune - ppl reckon this is worth picking up for a bit of 2-player friendship of any sort? Got my mate popping round on Saturday, maybe we could spend the day either taking it in turns(level by level or death by death) if it'll be a chuckle. Anyone tried the WiiU battle mode also - what's it like?

I hate the look of NES graphics but i'm excited to pick this up! I need to get round to it.

I hate the look of NES graphics but i'm excited to pick this up! I need to get round to it.

WHAT?! That's part of why it looks amazing!