NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
redrum217uk

Advice on buying a new pc

A mate wants to buy this PC

http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/build_pyro64-sli.php?W2Fsid=007a534df7577b222b9360f3c7514d37

I said he is mad spending £2300 on a PC but its what he wants. Is it really worth paying that much or could he get it cheaper???

He does play alot of games but never had a good enough PC to play the newest ones so he would use it.

Any advice on his selection would be great

Cheers

I think you can build cheaper. £2300 is about what i'm spending on a much more complete PC without the speakers or monitor.

Thats what I thought but he cant build his own so he would have to buy it. For a baught PC is it good value?

Also is the stuff he has picked good or woth the extra?

It's way too expensive. He probably doesn't need that much processing power and 2Gb of memory is a bit much. Also a single geforce 7800GTX is fast enough. He should check anandtech For price guides on computer hardware.

You should be able to get that for maybe under £1500, especially if you're willing to save money on the monitor and speakers.

You could also go for one 512 MB 7800GTX and upgrade with another when they get cheaper. It isn't worth spending £600+ on such a graphics setup, because the GTX-512 will run even FEAR at high, 1280x1024 and 4xAA/AF @ 60 fps. That way you can get a dedicated sound card (big difference, I tell you) and some good speakers.

If you really want a nice rig, I could advice you to wait for socket M2 motherboards which should be available at the end of this month (correct me if I got the wrong date) so you can run DDR2 memory and to make the system more future proof.

Thanks for the advice guys I have convinced him he will NEVER need that amound of power for what he wants!

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/Info.asp?e=27DE81D8-96CB-448B-8F4C-711359A87BBC

What do you think of this one? I have always liked evesham pc's their support is amazing too! Or again do you think thats OTT? he said he is quite happy to spend 2k on a pc eventhough i have told him he would be stupid to do that.

I'll tell him to wait until the new tec you mentioned comes out, dunno how long it will take evesham to use it in their pc's though.

evesham are teh sex for PC's if youre willing to spend just a lil bit extra. That computer is fantastic. i have an evesham pc that is 7 years old and still runs like a charm :heh:

If you really want one pre built I would definantly go Alienware, not only do they have great systems but they are built perfectly.

You can configure basically anything you want http://www.alienware.co.uk

I think custom building is way better and could save ya thousands. I mean i customized the same specs of my custom computer on a dell sight i saved a good $1500-$2000 but if you really want a pre-built one alienware is the way to go as jonst said

Tell this to your friend:

Get a dual core processor, if he has the patience wait til April for socket AM2 along with Athlon FX-62 and the DDR2 memory.

Get one single GeForce 7800GTX with 512 MB (it has a faster chip than the 256 MB version). Get a second card when they become cheaper, you don't need more at the moment.

Get a dedicated sound card and good speakers - sound is just as important as graphics. Also, the sound card could win you some performance.

Please don't save on a monitor because 7800GTX is useless if you don't have a proper screen to see al the good stuff.

That Evesham PC rocks big time.

Thanks for all the help I really do appreciate it a lot – all this talk about new pc’s ect makes me want one myself! My current pc struggles to run COD2 on fairly low settings!

I do like the alienware PC's, I don't like their support compared to Evesham, so I'll most likely not go with them.

I’ll deff tell him to wait till April and I’m gonna start saving! So no doubt I’ll be back then asking more advice!

Thanks again

Don't necessarliy wait for socket AM2 obviously it will be newer, but its performance over 939 wil be neglegible to say the least to begin with. Also the x1900 is suppose to own the 7800 gtx 512 and also be cheaper and actually available in the shops. I would definantly go alienware. Iy my opnion the evesham website is stupid and hard to navigate where as the Alienware is easy and intuitive. If money is no object I would also recommend Voodoo, their PC's are amongst the best available and they also look amazing.

Also the x1900 is suppose to own the 7800 gtx 512 and also be cheaper and actually available in the shops.

Which would be why nVidia are going to announe the 7900 this month as well?

EDIT: Can you edit the post below so I can understand it?

Which would be why nVidia are going to announe the 7900 this month as well?

Which would also an age away. At the moment you cant find a 512 version of the 7800 gtx anywhere let alone think about the 7900. If your willing to leave it 5 odd months then fine go for that

I would also like help in buying a new pc, i'm willing to spend up to 900 pounds.

I will be using it mainly for playing games such as Fear & CoD 2, and watching dvds.

I've been looking at a couple of sites and found a few and would like to know what anyone thinks of the specs matched with the prices.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=59930

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=ukdhs1&kc=HPUK5&oc=D01915A&x=1&y=7

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Mesh computers are awesome, their cases are really well built and the hardware is superb. Bought one about 2 years ago and its fantastic, will surely buy from them again. Dell = no. IMO.

Dell are perfectly suited to the average user who doesn't want to spend much. You wont get much of fear or COD 2 with £900 to play with.

Well its my turn now, my mate ended up with an evesham and it really is an amazing pc!

Anyway i was thinking about gettin this one

go to evesham.com - home & home office then desktops and then axis series

look for

Axis MKR Plus (Apr06)

AXISMKRPLAPR06

sorry it wont let me link to it!

I wanna change the monitor from wide to normal, upgrade the sound card to X-fi Xtreame, take off the speakers since i already have dencent ones.

Also do u recon its worth changing the graphics card from 7600GT to the 7900GT?

All that comes to £1416.64

Any good or am I going OTT? and is waiting for the AM2 thingy worth it? also the extra cost with it being brand new?

That price is more than i wanted to pay i was looking for about £1200 - £1300 but dont mind paying a little extra i guess! I could get the 4200 processor to save about £40 but is it worth it?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mesh computers are awesome, their cases are really well built and the hardware is superb. Bought one about 2 years ago and its fantastic, will surely buy from them again. Dell = no. IMO.

Mesh have become teh sucky recently apparently, the quality has gone downhill and they almost never deliver when they say they will. Or so I've been told.

Self-building for the win. ;-)

Mesh have become teh sucky recently apparently, the quality has gone downhill and they almost never deliver when they say they will. Or so I've been told.

Self-building for the win. ;-)

Yea, i totally agree. They have a support site on another forum and its full of unhappy threads.

Sign in to follow this