NEurope
flameboy

Year of Shame Challenge

After listening to the Year of Shame Challenge podcast I am considering doing my own Year of Shame challenge. Basically it's not buying any games for one year, they did it from Eurogamer Expo 2012-Eurogamer Expo 2013. I'm considering doing it between this Extra Life and the next.

They did have many rules/loopholes however:

IOS games don't count. (seems crazy to me personally)

Rentals are allowed.

Can use any credit that is on any gaming accounts at start

Games beaten on pile of shame can be traded in for new games.

Gifts are allowed.

Have ONE Joker that can be used for one game purchase in the year.

I've drawn up my own rules that I'm considering sticking to:

No purchases for one year from date of Extra Life 2013 to Extra Life 2014

Can use up any remaining credit I have on accounts prior to start (will not abuse and stack with tons of credit)

Cannot download any new mobile games

Allow myself the chance to buy the main Humble Bundle pay average and give money all to charity so I go to heaven!

Do not renew Playstation Plus and use that to prop up PS3 releases (This is partly motivated by me not knowing which PSN account to tie it to until I know if PS4 lets you change regions on accounts or I finally have to accept I will need to change accounts)

Have ONE Joker that can be used for one game purchase in the year

No rentals

I am allowed to receive gifts that are games but will not abuse this by asking for games if they are given as unasked gifts I will not reject them (for the record this has happened twice in the near 4 years I've been with my girlfriend)

My main reasoning for doing this is I don't intend to buy a PS4 until into next year I picked up my PS3 a year in and didn't regret it going back and picking up cheap titles that were launch. Also have my wedding coming up next year in September! So could do with diverting funds towards that.

Am I mad? Is it possible? Should I consider other rules like every 10 games I beat I can buy a new game (some community members who did the challenge allowed themselves ratios of 4:1 this seems too little for me)

Hmm, the last game i bought was Halo 4 last November. Although i did recieve a couple for Christmas. Only a couple of months left and i'm done!

Hmm, the last game i bought was Halo 4 last November. Although i did recieve a couple for Christmas. Only a couple of months left and i'm done!

Was this a deliberate choice or just something you did as there happened to be nothing you wanted to buy?

Edited by flameboy

Just haven't had the time to play the games i've got. There have been quite a few games i wanted to buy, but i knew they would just gather dust on the shelf, so i convinced myself not to...

I wasn't exactly a massive gamer beforehand though...

Flying through space on a shimmering comet of rainbow brilliance? I know.

I have had the wife nagging me all week for a birthday list…

Do you know how hard it is to choose stuff when games arent an option??

Well I am half a week into this and so far finished 2 games:

Costume Quest

Anna

As part of my Shocktober....very very hard going (yep after a year)....hate that steam loves to remind you there are sales on.

Technically speaking i did this during the year Skyrim came out, nothing interested me and skyrim filled my time

but i could never conciously do this, Kudos to you if you can manage it

Good luck to you flameboy. I started mine back in mid Sept when I cancelled my ps4 preorder :weep: and have nothing like the amount of games that your "team" have 10-15 excluding all the ps+ that'll come in during the year

As an MLG listener Daren and Matt could have done a better job of plugging the first years shows on their flagship show. I didn't even realise there was one until I was on midlifegamer and went to read the article about their experiences when it had all finished. Maybe get them to plug yours!

I'm glad you've set those new rules as I've taken the YOS challenge to mean a way of actually getting the most from your games, saving money and not jumping in on every deal and steam sale rather than what I took from the original shows as a space saving exercise

I heard the podcast introduction you could have done with mentioning you twitter handle and maybe a set place where everyone doing the same thing can commiserate/celebrate what they are doing

Just 10 and a half months to go..........Happy gaming

Good luck to you flameboy. I started mine back in mid Sept when I cancelled my ps4 preorder :weep: and have nothing like the amount of games that your "team" have 10-15 excluding all the ps+ that'll come in during the year

As an MLG listener Daren and Matt could have done a better job of plugging the first years shows on their flagship show. I didn't even realise there was one until I was on midlifegamer and went to read the article about their experiences when it had all finished. Maybe get them to plug yours!

I'm glad you've set those new rules as I've taken the YOS challenge to mean a way of actually getting the most from your games, saving money and not jumping in on every deal and steam sale rather than what I took from the original shows as a space saving exercise

I heard the podcast introduction you could have done with mentioning you twitter handle and maybe a set place where everyone doing the same thing can commiserate/celebrate what they are doing

Hi thanks for your message....we just recorded our first episode which will hopefully be hitting sometime next week. Actually read out parts of your message.

We have set up a twitter account specifically for our challenge. Unfortunately whilst we are carrying on the show we will not be on MLG and will be going alone aside from a promotion of the first episode. One of our hosts is from the podcast Last Save Loaded and we hope we get some cross pollination from there. The twitter account is outlined on the show and I'm the process of creating a facebook page that auto updates with new episodes and twitter content etc... to support the show and provide a central hub for conversation alongside our email address and twitter account.

If you have any further questions about the challenge or wish to stimulate conversation please feel free to drop messages in here or tweet me @flameboy84

Hi just to let you know we now have a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/YOSYEAR2

Please join in the conversation!

Also our twitter feed handle is:

@YOSchallenge2

Hope to get you involved in some capacity seem as your also on with a YOS.

Thanks for your email we read it out in this months episode.