NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dazzybee

FIFA 14

Very surprised to find there was no thread on this game.

Anyways. I bought the ps3 version, and I hate it. I just wondered if there were any players who could maybe guide me because I WANT to like it.

I had FIFA 13 on ps3 and wii u. But weirdly I really really didn't like the ps3 version so only played the wii u version the past year, it was missing loads of features and modes but it just played better football, I hated the first touch thing it introduced and just felt more random and less control. Plus I detest the ps3 pad (recon firmed today playing FIFA 14) the sticks are the worst in gaming, made worse coming straight off the back of playing the Wii u (side note, really hope the ps4 has improved this).

FIFA 14 seems, much worse. I love the front end, I really love the presentations and theirs and amount of modes and such, it's a great package, but have serious issues with how it plays. But ive only played an hour or so. My main problems are the following (and these are very old FIFA problems they eradicated)

- when you change players they pause for a fraction of a second

- when you receive the ball they can't sprint off with it, takes a little whole to get it under control, and this was eriksen who isn't going to struggle

- when you pass a ballista not with pace often and the player passing you can't get do come to the ball, they just stand there and wait, it's painful

- the defence seem incredibly stupid, the computer plays the long ball and all your defenders are static as the striker runs on to it

- his very no idea what they've done to right stick controls bit I don't seem to be able to run with the ball and knock it infront of me

- just generally feel like I barely have any control with they all, passing the ball, receiving then ball

Something's I hope I just need to get used to, but a few I just think are awful problems. I prefer the wiiu. One still, but it'd doesn't have kits and players etc which is a massive attraction. Not sure what to do with it....

Anyone got it'd. Love it. And can tell me I. Just playing it'd wrong!

I haven't got it, but I'm pretty sure my brother has. I'm also pretty sure that I'll strongly dislike it, like the last few versions :nono:

I'll no doubt give the game a blast next time I see him, but he bought PES 2014 last week too and it is completely awful :eek: We had played a decent bit of last year's version together and thought that Pro Evo was finally on the mend after the years of torture since the sublime PES 6 on PS2. They seem to have completely ruined it now, though.. possibly the worst ever :hmm:

As it stands, I fear for where football games are going. For whatever reason, all the fun and excitement has been stripped out in favour of "realism" where these nimble athletes feel like tanks to control and the gamer's control is being sacrificed for the sake of statistics and AI intervention.

I'd challenge you all to go back to PES 6, play it for a couple of weeks and maybe then understand why it offers a much more satisfying game of football than what we're being subjected to today. It may take time to adjust after all the freedom of passing that has been brought in over the years, but you'll soon wonder why the current generation of football games are receiving such high review scores everywhere. It's embarrassing :nono:

Picked this up for 360 and put the fa cup through its paces with a few mates last night and this morning...I know what you mean it's just not quite right!

Main thing for me is, compared to my last FIFA which was 12, you just don't get through on goal one on one. Only chances seem to come from crossing, the middle of the pitch is packed out massively and it's impossible to break down any team, league two or prem. still, it's early days and am sure will 'learn' the 14 way, but no where near as good as 12 for me.

Although saying that, playing against legendary, although we never got past the 5th round we always played well and never felt out of our depth, even against man city we competed and had more possession, so hope perhaps :)

I only played the PS3 demo, so not sure if the full version is that different.

- when you change players they pause for a fraction of a second

Hasn't happened to me. I only play with manual settings, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

- when you receive the ball they can't sprint off with it, takes a little whole to get it under control, and this was eriksen who isn't going to struggle

Yeah, that's annoying. It works well when you are contested while receiving the ball, 'cause it's more difficult to control in that situation, obviously.

But when there's no defender near, players still struggle to move faster than a tortoise on Valium.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

- when you pass a ballista not with pace often and the player passing you can't get do come to the ball, they just stand there and wait, it's painful

Doesn't happen to me that much (maybe once in 5 games, and mostly it's only when I'm passing the ball around my defenders). Again, maybe due to manual controls.

- the defence seem incredibly stupid, the computer plays the long ball and all your defenders are static as the striker runs on to it

Hm. Not happened to me (yet). Can't comment :p

- his very no idea what they've done to right stick controls bit I don't seem to be able to run with the ball and knock it infront of me

Works fine for me, but it is only really useful when you control a fast player (duh).

- just generally feel like I barely have any control with they all, passing the ball, receiving then ball

The first touch controls and their 'issues' are perfect when you want to pass/receive a ball while being contested. It's incredibly realistic.

I think the problem is that there is waaaaayyy too much "randomness" .Too many variables that ruin even an uncontested pass/reception.

Only chances seem to come from crossing, the middle of the pitch is packed out massively

I seem to score more goals through the middle. Crosses don't work well for me.

seasons/ online play is again the main reason to own this. Against legendary computer you're lucky to get a few goals, but online, and with the unpredictability of human nature, it comes into its own :)

I never buy Fifa games myself but I play tournaments with friends every now and then. I've played a few matches on 14 now and I thought it was pretty good. It felt sluggish and cumbersome at first but there's a better sense of physicality, the game is interrupted less often with fouls and such and the animations actually add to the game physically. Finesse shots and aerial passes are now much more useful after feeling floaty and useless in 13.

Give it time.

By the sounds of things I'm glad I stuck to my usual plan of missing every other year. My thought this year was definitely that next years next gen version will be better.

I never buy Fifa games myself but I play tournaments with friends every now and then. I've played a few matches on 14 now and I thought it was pretty good. It felt sluggish and cumbersome at first but there's a better sense of physicality, the game is interrupted less often with fouls and such and the animations actually add to the game physically. Finesse shots and aerial passes are now much more useful after feeling floaty and useless in 13.

Give it time.

Yeah. After playing it more it's going on me. It's much better against human opponents too (some of my problems were likely fifa usual ways to make it more difficult). I still have a few problems but it does play a good game of football.

I've a feeling EA are switching focus to next gen and aren't too bothered about this version. Wouldn't surprise me.

PES2014 is superb until the final third where it's reliance on realism/graphical and AI processes results in a less reactive game of football. Obviously, reactive gameplay is vital infront of goal!

Disappointed by both this year. I also really enjoyed PES2013. Felt like things were back on track. All they needed to do was smarten up the interface (again!!) and sort a couple of the modes out and they were onto a winner. Another year of cooking up the FOX Engine version would have been sweet.

Either way, gamers miss out by not having the variety we once had. This whole neutralising and normalising of this industry is disgusting. We had more variety and wonder in the 80’s and 90’s and they call it 'next-gen'?

Give me Sensible Soccer, Super Soccer and more on the shelves again. Sick of seeing FIFA dominate whilst PES plays an ageing game.

Edited by tapedeck

I'm another one who feels there's something not quite right about the game.

For the past 3 years, I've bought the XBox version and have loved the way it played. This year, I switched back to the PS3 version as I'm planning on getting a PS4 and wanted to get used to the controller again. With that in mind, some of my difficulties may be down to becoming unused to PS controls, but time will tell. Also, I've been away so am a bit late starting the game. As a result, there are several aspects of the game that I haven't really got to grips with yet.

Things I don't like:

• Auto-player switching seems less logical this year. I'll make a pass to a player nearby but the AI doesn't pass control over to the correct player. Or, the opposition will make a loose pass, but the AI doesn't give me control over the player nearest the ball. I frequently start running toward a ball assuming that the player nearest to it will be auto-selected, only to realise that control is with a completely different player. Sometimes I manually select the player I want, only to find that they become deselected seconds later. The whole point of player auto-select is so that the computer takes care of the basics leaving you to master other areas of the game or invoke manual select for more complex moves. However, at present, it's making even the basic gameplay hard work and unintuitive.
  • I like to pass down the wings a lot, but this year I'm finding a lot of my passes are being played into touch. This could be down to the fact that I've become unused to PS controls or it could be that EA have tweaked the passing ability of certain players. I'm playing in Career Mode as a League 2 club at the moment, so maybe my squad just isn't up to the job. I may just need to adapt my playing style to the capabilities of the players on my team or improve my squad.
  • Scouting is overly complex. You scout a country and you get offered a list of random players to scout further. It's hard to narrow down who you want to scout further though as you aren't given much useful information on them. I preferred it when you got an overall rating and indication of their potential as a way of weeding them. Maybe I'll like the system more though once I've spent a bit more time with it.
  • Transfers again are too complex. I also couldn't work out how to later find a player I'd saved to my watchlist, but maybe that's me being an idiot. I really think EA need to make the UI much more intuitive around transfers and scouting. It's integral to the gameplay in career mode, but they need to balance the complexity and user experience with the amount of time you spend actually playing a match. At present, I spend more time navigating menus than anything else :(.
  • That bloody calendar - yawn. Waiting for the calendar to flick through the days seems interminable. Surely, they could come up with something to do while they are loading the schedule in.

Things they got right:

• Crowds. At last, the crowd look vaguely like real people. If you are going to go for realism in the gameplay and transfer system, then people are going to notice areas in the game where realism is lacking.
  • The weighting of the ball when your player makes contact feels more realistic.

I'm sure I'll have more to add once I've played the game for longer. It's definitely quite a learning curve though on previous years.

I've recently played a couple of games of FIFA 14 on PS3 with my brother and, as expected, I came away feeling frustrated. It feels so heavy and cumbersome :hmm: This is particularly bothersome when approaching the penalty area and trying to produce some quick and intricate passing to unlock the defence only to feel like you're trying to maneuver a heavy goods vehicle down a busy narrow road with no power steering ::shrug: It's infuriatingly painful to play at times :nono:

I can almost imagine in my head how I would like a traditional football game to play but both FIFA and PES seem to be going in completely the wrong direction..

On the verge of giving up tbh. I've tried setting player switching to manual, air balls and auto but it doesn't appear to make much difference. Even on manual, the players auto-switch. I'll switch to a player and a second later, the AI has switched play to someone else. It's leaving me in a complete mess when defending. Other people have reported that switching to manual has helped though, so not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong :(.

I haven't got it, but I'm pretty sure my brother has. I'm also pretty sure that I'll strongly dislike it, like the last few versions :nono:

I'll no doubt give the game a blast next time I see him, but he bought PES 2014 last week too and it is completely awful :eek: We had played a decent bit of last year's version together and thought that Pro Evo was finally on the mend after the years of torture since the sublime PES 6 on PS2. They seem to have completely ruined it now, though.. possibly the worst ever :hmm:

As it stands, I fear for where football games are going. For whatever reason, all the fun and excitement has been stripped out in favour of "realism" where these nimble athletes feel like tanks to control and the gamer's control is being sacrificed for the sake of statistics and AI intervention.

I'd challenge you all to go back to PES 6, play it for a couple of weeks and maybe then understand why it offers a much more satisfying game of football than what we're being subjected to today. It may take time to adjust after all the freedom of passing that has been brought in over the years, but you'll soon wonder why the current generation of football games are receiving such high review scores everywhere. It's embarrassing :nono:

I have PES 6 on the 360 and I don't care what anybody says but it is the best football game ever. I can't stand FIFA really. I think the last time I played FIFA was 12 and I didn't like it. I think I liked 11 but that was it. I came on here to say that I'm surprised because compared to the last FIFA, I've hardly seen anybody play this or even talk about it. This thread is probably the first time I've heard someone talk about it since it's release.

Oh my gosh, what the hell have they done to manager mode!? Talk about over complicating things. If I wanted something complex I'd have bought Football Manager.

I've recently played a couple of games of FIFA 14 on PS3 with my brother and, as expected, I came away feeling frustrated. It feels so heavy and cumbersome :hmm: This is particularly bothersome when approaching the penalty area and trying to produce some quick and intricate passing to unlock the defence only to feel like you're trying to maneuver a heavy goods vehicle down a busy narrow road with no power steering ::shrug: It's infuriatingly painful to play at times :nono:

I can almost imagine in my head how I would like a traditional football game to play but both FIFA and PES seem to be going in completely the wrong direction..

Said FIFA, I heard that there are 30 countries already got a pass.

You should now see FIFA14 version. Is looking forward to.

I was about to cash in my international management coupon but heard there was problems, if I cash it in 6 days into a new season will I get an England offer on my first season?

Sign in to follow this