NEurope
Jimbob

Guy pays parking fine in coins - ok or not?

(thripped from funny thread, as discussion isn't particularly hilarious)

Edited by Rummy
funny thrip - Rummy

Guy is a dick about parking.

Guy gets fine.

Guy is a dick about paying the fine.

Guy is rude, obnoxious, feels that he is not at fault and approaches it in a cliched, disrespectful manner.

Hope guy dies.

Yeah he's a bit of a dick.

HOWEVER. Having been through parking services and tickets over here, I kinda support the idea of it. It is SO easy for a council to slap a ticket on your car, and MUCH harder to get it revised or repealed. So, whilst I don't know what it's like in australia, I'd support similar over here.

Only, you can't do it over here. At least not with London councils :( - Realised this quite possibly isn't true actually. I'd wonder on the legal tender aspect though.

Guy is a dick about parking.

What if he wasn't?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Guy is a dick about paying the fine.

He seemed rather calm about the issue really.

Guy is rude, obnoxious, feels that he is not at fault and approaches it in a cliched, disrespectful manner.

He got the monies, asked if they took cash. They said yes so he gave them the cash. In this regard he isn't at fault.

He got the monies, asked if they took cash. They said yes so he gave them the cash. In this regard he isn't at fault.

The place doesn't actually have to accept a payment like that. They can refuse and he'll still owe them.

The place doesn't actually have to accept a payment like that. They can refuse and he'll still owe them.

The question is - is this the same as legal tender? ie Does it apply here? It isn't a trade or an exchange, and I don't think it's technically a debt either. Would be most interested in the legal definition, and whether he's correct on his assertion that he isn't paying for goods or services.

(contemplating thripping this out depending on the discussion)

What exactly is he trying to prove? All he's doing is making the woman at the desk have a really shit day. I'm going to assume he was in the wrong in the first place if he is having to pay a fine so for starters he shouldn't park like a dick.

Secondly, ok he is unhappy about paying a fine but is it really making him feel better to be a dick to someone who isn't involved in actually issuing the fines/tickets?

It just seems like an ignorant person feeling like they're sticking one to the government when in reality he's not dealing with any politicians or even traffic wardens. They really don't even have to accept that 'payment' and from seeing how he acted about it, I hope they didn't.

Even if it's ok for him to be paying in such small amounts (which I'm sure it's not as there are always rules regarding that kind of thing), he does not have to be such a smug cunt about it. He comes across as wholly unlikeable and rude. I wouldn't be surprised if he had parked his car sideways across 3 bays or something and was still outraged at having been given a ticket.

Edited by The Peeps

If she's gonna have a shit day after a tiny incident like that, then she's not very emotionally stable.

Yep. It's not legal tender since the change is too small. In Australia the max for paying with 5 and 10c coins is 5 dollars.

So his fine will grow. What a self-righteous douche.

Edited by Sheikah

The question is - is this the same as legal tender? ie Does it apply here? It isn't a trade or an exchange, and I don't think it's technically a debt either. Would be most interested in the legal definition, and whether he's correct on his assertion that he isn't paying for goods or services.

(contemplating thripping this out depending on the discussion)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2144578/Judge-orders-man-paid-accountants-800-coppers-pay-debt-properly.html

Sorry for the Daily Mail link, it was the first result on Google.

What exactly is he trying to prove? All he's doing is making the woman at the desk have a really shit day. I'm going to assume he was in the wrong in the first place if he is having to pay a fine so for starters he shouldn't park like a dick.

Secondly, ok he is unhappy about paying a fine but is it really making him feel better to be a dick to someone who isn't involved in actually issuing the fines/tickets?

It just seems like an ignorant person feeling like they're sticking one to the government when in reality he's not dealing with any politicians or even traffic wardens. They really don't even have to accept that 'payment' and from seeing how he acted about it, I hope they didn't.

Even if it's ok for him to be paying in such small amounts (which I'm sure it's not as there are always rules regarding that kind of thing), he does not have to be such a smug cunt about it. He comes across as wholly unlikeable and rude. I wouldn't be surprised if he had parked his car sideways across 3 bays or something and was still outraged at having been given a ticket.

What is he trying to prove? What if it's just a protest against a system where he's not fairly represented.

As Diageo says - really shit day? What's so shit about that? Tell your manager some loon came in with a ton of coin to pay a fine - what else does one do when they encounter something unexpected in their day to day job? Cry in the corner or raise it with a superior and, god forbid, just deal with it? It is work, after all. He wasn't even particularly rude of abusive short of just pushing the coins over the counter.

Being a dick to someone uninvolved - let's remove the dick aspect(or keep it) - but where else does he go? He's not dealing with any politicians or traffic wardens - but what if he was? What would/should he do? Why don't they have to accept it - assuming it IS as he implies, legal for the purpose?

As I've also said on ReZ's post on facebook - What if he got the ticket, thought it was wrong, tried to contest it, but that decision rests with the issuing authority, and what if then his only course of retribution against it might be to run a greater risk of financial disadvantage and file a case in court to contest the decision?

What then? Why is everyone so keen to judge this guy as completely in the wrong, with no possible liability on the authority in question?

Firstly, I understand what legal tender is, I thought that clear from my posts. In fact it is, due to me using the term legal tender. Secondly, that article is reference to the UK - the video is not. Thirdly, that article quoted refers to a debt owed for a service rendered - this guy's point in the video is that he has neither purchased goods nor had a service rendered - my question is legally does that make a difference given that this is a fine issued. Is a fine a debt for goods purchased or services rendered - or something else legally defined?

Firstly, I understand what legal tender is, I thought that clear from my posts. In fact it is, due to me using the term legal tender. Secondly, that article is reference to the UK - the video is not. Thirdly, that article quoted refers to a debt owed for a service rendered - this guy's point in the video is that he has neither purchased goods nor had a service rendered - my question is legally does that make a difference given that this is a fine issued. Is a fine a debt for goods purchased or services rendered - or something else legally defined?

Here you go.

And maybe this will help you, @MoogleViper. Is a fine a debt?

Thirdly, that article quoted refers to a debt owed for a service rendered - this guy's point in the video is that he has neither purchased goods nor had a service rendered - my question is legally does that make a difference given that this is a fine issued. Is a fine a debt for goods purchased or services rendered - or something else legally defined?

I should extend it to say - does the idea of legal tender still apply to such? As it isn't a trade/offer/exchange? Is a fine legally defined differently to a debt for goods purchased or services rendered?

Edited by Rummy

I always make a point to pay for my video games in change to protest the high price of Nintendo games.

I always make a point to pay for my video games in change to protest the high price of Nintendo games.

It's just Supply and Demand.

What is he trying to prove? What if it's just a protest against a system where he's not fairly represented.

Then it's misplaced as he's taking 'action' against someone who has no power to change anything.

As Diageo says - really shit day? What's so shit about that? Tell your manager some loon came in with a ton of coin to pay a fine - what else does one do when they encounter something unexpected in their day to day job? Cry in the corner or raise it with a superior and, god forbid, just deal with it? It is work, after all. He wasn't even particularly rude of abusive short of just pushing the coins over the counter.

He comes across as quite rude to me. I'm not saying she's going to need therapy or anything =\ but she's trying to explain to him that they can't accept his payment and he's cutting her off and ignoring her. As for giving her a shit day, I'm just saying that in her day-to-day routine this isn't exactly going to be a highlight. I know if a customer is rude to me in my job it is a bit of a negative point on my day.

Being a dick to someone uninvolved - let's remove the dick aspect(or keep it) - but where else does he go? He's not dealing with any politicians or traffic wardens - but what if he was? What would/should he do? Why don't they have to accept it - assuming it IS as he implies, legal for the purpose?

This is basically a different conversation. "what if's" aren't a compelling argument :p you're changing the scenario. I commented on what DID happen.

As I've also said on ReZ's post on facebook - What if he got the ticket, thought it was wrong, tried to contest it, but that decision rests with the issuing authority, and what if then his only course of retribution against it might be to run a greater risk of financial disadvantage and file a case in court to contest the decision?

What then? Why is everyone so keen to judge this guy as completely in the wrong, with no possible liability on the authority in question?

Well again his 'protest' is misplaced imo. It's purely self-serving.

Also it doesn't have to be illegal, it could be company/council policy to not except payment in that manner.

What if's are important because everyone's judging the situation with so few of the facts you're already judging on what ifs. I'm just presenting elsewise. Sure, you see the video - but do you really think that's the whole picture? Do you really feel it's fair enough to judge on that alone? The what if's are to challenge how fucking judgemental everyone's being. Like this guy's absolutely 100% in the wrong with no possible chance of something else, just from this video.

As for her saying she can't accept it. Ok, she says that. What if that's not ACTUALLY the case? If he's done all his research and he knows that, in fact, legally, they can. Why did he do all his research? Cos he ended up stuck in an arse-end system that shafts him in seconds and exonerates in months. How much effort does it take to slap a ticket on a car, and how much effort does it take to contest such? I'll guarantee you they're disproportionate.

Also it doesn't have to be illegal, it could be company/council policy to not except payment in that manner.

Just to say - given it says Adelaide City Council, I'd presume it to be definitely council. Policy can be one thing, but when it comes to aspects such as parking tickets, fines, prosecutions etc I'd presume they're all written into law. Payments will most likely be too. 'Policy' is one thing, but the law is another - and that's what they'll run you for a ticket under.

When the video shows that, I'll form my opinion based on it. He put the video out and that's the light it shows him in.

Also while I agree with the sentiment, a 'what if' can be equally undone with a counter 'what if'. What if he really is a massive dick Rummy? :p What if she really can't accept the money as she tries to tell the man? What if we can't conclude anything from asking what if?

Edited by The Peeps

I'm half having this debate on ReZ's facebook too - but let me ask you; how legally is the white car in this photo parked? In your opinion, of course. I'm interested in the majority opinion on it, the more answers the better!

S5SSXvD.jpg

Edited by Rummy

Well, he does what signs says he must do.(the little blue sign beneath large one)

I'm no expert on the matter so I can't comment with certainty. It seems quite unobtrusive to me but if it's illegal it's illegal. Laws are laws whether you agree with them or not. If you want to change the law, do what you can to do so. You can't just ignore it because you disagree with it.

You can argue whether laws are fair or not but at the end of the day they are still laws and we have to abide by them. If the car in that picture is parked illegally, the driver must face the consequences.

My personal opinion is that the parking is fine but there could be things I'm overlooking. I'm sure there's something about not parking across a certain amount of pavement which may not seem fair in this case as there's no clear obstruction but should we have specific parking laws for every individual road?

(I'm working with the assumption that it is illegal parking even though it doesn't look like it because I think you are trying to surprise me :p)

As I wrote on ReZ's Facebook thread, whether this guy was in fact screwed over or not, he's being an immature prick about it. If this is a protest, he's doing it wrong.