NEurope
The Bard

Hyper Light Drifter

Found this game on Kickstarter, as well as a pretty excited RPS preview. Sets itself up as a cross between A Link to The Past, Diablo and Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery.

Love the music too; some sort of bizarre combination of syncopated future trance and orchestral strings. Creates a beautiful mood that's less gamey and more artful than either Zelda or Diablo.

Doesn't it look rad?

Kickstarter

I really like the artwork on their KS page.

It's wicked right? I'm sure a lot of games have done the whole diffused neon lighting combined with earthy, elemental tones thing, but not in a Zelda inspired pixel art game.

I feel like a lot of games have a retro aesthetic to make up for lack of budget/artist quality however this looks beautiful.

I really want it to reach its final stretch goal, I'd love to play it on Vita.

I think it will $220,000 for Vita it's on $197,000 with 26 days to go!

Make that $222,846 as of this minute :)

Yep just update email so now those holding back can pledge away safe in the knowledge that a PS4/Vita version can be theirs for $15

BUMP!!!

3045242-hyperlightdrifter+2016-03-30+10-16-45-65.jpg

4.png

Has anyone picked this up? I kind of really want it but have also heard it's a total ballache to play. Getting memories of Titan Souls which I loved for about ten minutes and didn't love within an hour.

But it looks gorgeous and them trippy / Zelda vibes are there...

BUMP!!!

3045242-hyperlightdrifter+2016-03-30+10-16-45-65.jpg

4.png

Has anyone picked this up? I kind of really want it but have also heard it's a total ballache to play. Getting memories of Titan Souls which I loved for about ten minutes and didn't love within an hour.

But it looks gorgeous and them trippy / Zelda vibes are there...

It's a gorgeous game, but only runs at 30fps (I have my pc hooked up to my tv which can use interpolation tech to make the game look like its running 60fps with slight input delay).

I won't beat around the bush though. It is hard. Some bits had me near tears but they were optional challenge areas. The main part of the game is challenging but doable and the devs have update some mechanics to be a bit more forgiving. A good example is the dash which use to have 0 frames of invincibility. Now it has a few which, for me, made a massive difference immediately.

Is it out on PS4?

Not out on PS4 till May. Tis why I got it on PC.

It's one of the best games I've played over the last couple of years, no hyperbole. Short, sweet and challenging.

I'll buy it when it comes out on PS4 :) it looks well-suited to the platform.

I'm guessing it will be around £10 - £15 on release? Surely worth that by the look of it. :D

I've been interested since Bard described it as a cross between A Link to the Past and Diablo... coupled with the artwork, that's all I needed to know. : peace:

Anyone playing this lately? Just picked it up on PS4. Early impressions are its trying really hard to be OG Legend of Zelda. Not necessarily bad, the other impression though is that they went a bit too far minimalist. Not far enough that info can't quit be gleaned but you get to a shop and are just showed some images.... Not super helpful.

All in all though I think I'll enjoy it.

Ah this is already out? I dropped the ball on that one! :red:

I'll get on this soon hopefully, I was just reading up on the backstory of the games development and the few varying reviews of it - mostly positive - all seem to point towards this becoming a cult classic of sorts, I definitely plan to purchase it. :)

Beat this last night. Feel like I've missed a ton of content. Like locked doors I have no clue how to open.

Jumped into NG+ and well....I won't be playing it. It greatly reduced the amount of health you have to the point of which most bosses default attacks and some regular enemies are OHK. I do not have the skill or patience for that.