NEurope
Dog-amoto

9/11. Where were you?

Gets less and less news coverage as the years go by but I don't think any of us will forget that day.

So where were you on that day and how did you find out? I was at work, in an office and someone who was working from home rang me and told me. Most of the staff spent the rest of the day in the TV room watching it all unfold. I also remember going to a League Cup match at the Reebok in the evening where Bolton won 4-3 I think against Leyton Orient.

So where were you, and what were you doing?

I got home from school and my bro had the story unfolding on the news, I initially thought technology had failed in planes and they were dropping out the sky.

Year 9, geography class. The teacher left for a bit and came back, informing people that the Twin Towers had fallen down.

I found it funny. It wasn't until I saw it on the news in my mum's office after school that I realised people were in the buildings. Lots of people.

It was no longer funny.

I had just come home from school and I remember turning on the telly in the kitchen to see if I could catch some cartoons or a bit of countdown or something. (dat Vorderman)

The news was on virtually every channel and it was only when I stopped flicking through that I realised that this news was serious business. It took about a minute or so for me to actually grasp what was going on, but after that I was glued to the tv for the entire evening. Definitely one of those things that you will never ever forget.

It happened back when I was in my sleep all day, stay up all night phase as a late teenager. I was asleep, my dad came in asking me when I was gonna wake up and dropped the bombshell.

I didn't realise how serious it all was until a few hours later when all my American friends online were in a total meltdown.

My then-girlfriend and I had just decided to pop into the town for a few bits and pieces that she needed before she went to University. I said "let's just turn on the news, see if we can get the football results". The first plane had hit and the second was on its way, we watched in disbelief as it hit...

Came back from school, turned on the TV to repeating images of the towers collapsing in the centre of New York on BBC news. I swore like a sailor, not realising the plumber was up stairs.

I didn't find out until i got home from school and wanted to watch "Chucklevision" at 3:15pm in 2001, the news was on and i ended up watching the news unfold.

My mate had seemingly bunked school (he was fine the previous day. We didn't have mobile phones yet). Figured I'd check on him on the way home. I then remember sitting with him with bowls of bolognese while he played Ultima online, and I looked up and saw on the tv the buildings falling down... and my mate just said "yeah it's pretty rad innit" whilst staring at the computer screen.

I was on a holiday with my friends in Ayia Napa. Was watching a pirate copy of Rush Hour 2 and drinking down at one of the local pubs. Seen the news on TV but it wasn't until a bit later in the day that I really paid attention to the footage and I remember seeing the people throwing themselves from the buildings. That's when it really hit home and was very upsetting.

I was at the hospital for an appointment that day, so was at home with Mummy when it was first broadcast. The next few hours were a real treat with the same footage looped over and over.

Alton Towers with friends. Didn't hear about it until we put the radio on, driving home, so we could only imagine what it looked like from the descriptions.

Last week before school, I remember it vividly, I spent the day having a DBZ movie marathon with a couple of friends and my brothers. We knew as soon as it happened because my housekeeper came to tell us. All 5 of us completely ignored it and kept marathoning the 17 DBZ films all day long (it had to be completed the next day, though, as soon as my parents came home around dinnertime it was 9/11 coverage all night long which resulted in me going to bed early... that's how much I didn't care at the time, lol). :P

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Came home from school, flicked on Sky news and watched in disbelief at what was happening.

Edited by Jon

I got home from School and went to watch TV, like most of you.

My Dad came home about 5/6pm and spoke to me about it, I remember him very clearly telling me how this was going to start a war and it was going to last for a long time.

I never realised how right he was going to be.

I think the reason that it gets less and less coverage each year, is the same as it does for the world wars, new generations don't understand and some people just want to forget and ignore it. Its such a shame to not remember such a huge loss of life.

Its so incredibly chilling/upsetting/humbling to go to where the towers stood and see the names. The youngest to die was 6 years old, its just such a waste of life. :(

I was at college and had noticed that something seemed to be up but never bothered to ask what. I didnt find out until I got home and saw it on the TV.

I think the reason that it gets less and less coverage each year, is the same as it does for the world wars, new generations don't understand and some people just want to forget and ignore it. Its such a shame to not remember such a huge loss of life.

But people are going to forget sometime, it's inevitable. It will just become some trivia for future generations in history class.

Otherwise we'd still be mourning over the English Civil War, or the Norman invasion.

I remember I had the day off work that day.

I was watching a film on Sky Movies as there was nothing else on at the time, can't remember what the film was now though.

A "news flash" popped up on the bottom of the screen saying "Plane crashed into World Trade Centre in New York"

I switched over to Sky News to see what was up just as they put up live footage of the tower and the second plane coming in to hit the 2nd tower.

Watched the whole thing unfold the rest of the day. It was so surreal, like it was on TV and seemed like something out of a film yet was thinking "shit this is real"

I was in year 12/first year of sixth form, and we'd finsihed at 2:30 so i'd just got in around 3? and had put the TV on like it seemed most of us did.

Litterally as i was channel hopping the phone rang and it was my best mate, who had also just got in, and he'd put the news on, he told me a plane had crashed into one of the towers and to switch over.

I was on the phone to him and watching the TV report, now both of us were really into aircraft and the RAF and wanted to be pilots, so we were discussing how ludicrous it would be for someone to not see the towers and it would have had to have been some catastophic failure of instaments to cause and accident like that.

Eventually as we decided it was unlikely one of us (can't remember who) said what if its terrorists or something? and it was like fate because as we were saying it made some sense, and we were both glued to the TV the second plane hit on the live feeds....

Not sure how long we were silent but eventually we hung up and watched events unfold.

It was so horrific, it still haunts me those live feeds, the disbelief of people in studios on the TV, everthing was so wrong.

It was our generations moon landings, only on the opposite end of the spectrum, i don't think its something we wil forget, only new generations born after it will not see its significance in the same way

A lot of people on here are older than I realised.

Yeah, but ReZ is still into kids, so you're alright.

I was in Year 7 when it happened and I remember it purely because of what my best friend said.

I got home from school and poured me some pop. I went into the living room and was about to turn on Nickelodeon because Kenan and Kel was coming on when my phone rang. I answered it and my best friend said this:

"UR MA GERRRD! SOMEONE GOT DRUNK AND FLEW INTO BIG BEN! QUICK, TURN ON THE NEWS!"

...and put the phone down. Obviously, I was like "NO...WAY!" and switched the news on. The plonker got it wrong and watched it throughout most of the night. Sad stuff! I remember seeing little dots going down from the building and I thought it was something wrong with my TV or it was the footage but then I realised it was people...

I told my mate he was a knobhead for saying that but he said that his brother told him that. His brother is known for doing that shit so I believe him.

I was at University playing football manager. Housemate came in and said "A plane's just crashed into the twin towers" "Bloody hell" carried on playing. Comes up a bit later "Another plane has crashed into the twin towers" "what're the chances of that?!" Carried on playing...

A few hours later I wondered downstairs and saw the news and realised what actually happened. That night I couldn't sleep thinking World War 3 was about to happen! At first no one knew who it was.