NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call (3DS)

Yeah, you could easily end up putting hundreds of hours into this little gem; especially if you're insane enough to attempt getting a perfect chain on every song like one of my friends did!

On the hardest setting as well? Crazy.

I'll be happy if I rank my favourite characters up to the max and unlock every character. I may try and get at least a S rank on all the songs ( only on the first two settings mind ) as well.

On the hardest setting as well? Crazy.

I'll be happy if I rank my favourite characters up to the max and unlock every character. I may try and get at least a S rank on all the songs ( only on the first two settings mind ) as well.

Yup, perfected every song on Ultimate, including all of the DLC songs (yes, all of them)

Lets just say that they have a lot more patience than I do :laughing:

This game is so so so good, still crave a zelda (or star wars :) ) one... I don't play it enough either, but a game I can always whack on for a certain amount of time. I don't even like Final Fantasy games and still love it, I dread to think how much it improves if you're nostalgic for all the amazing music

This game is so so so good, still crave a zelda (or star wars :) ) one... I don't play it enough either, but a game I can always whack on for a certain amount of time. I don't even like Final Fantasy games and still love it, I dread to think how much it improves if you're nostalgic for all the amazing music

I think a Zelda one, or even a general Nintendo version of the game, would be brilliant. Seems like a missed opportunity.

This thread getting bumped got me so damn excited...

But yeah, this is one game that I always keep playing. I'm at 600,000 rhytmia and I don't plan on stopping any time soon!

This thread getting bumped got me so damn excited...

But yeah, this is one game that I always keep playing. I'm at 600,000 rhytmia and I don't plan on stopping any time soon!

Think i'm on a hefty 8,000. :D

*uses Phoenix Down on topic*

Yesterday evening, Darksnowman mentioned that he fired up Theatrhythm. I was looking for something to play after my session on XC3 and decided to join him in some rhythm based fun. I ended up playing 3 hours on the thing!  As much as I enjoyed the game when I first bought it, for some reason I never stuck with it. 8 years later and I hope it will be different this time around.

My session last night had me going from 8,000 rhytmia to 16,000. I also got Cloud, Zack, Squall and Tidus from level 70 to level 99. I done this by easing myself into the game with a few of my favourite songs and then eventually switching over to the quest mode. It was here where I spent a lot of my time and ran through a few courses. I noticed that one of the courses was offering a black shard. I remember back in 2014 reading on Gamefaqs that these were hard to come by and so I made sure I went that long route in order to nab it. I down and many more top go in order for me to unlock Sephiroth.

When I originally dabbled with the game I never really played about with the cards you get, abilities you unlock or items you can use. I popped back over to Gamefaqs to read up on each of these things. I honestly thought the cards were just collectibles but have now read they can increase you stats. I need to see if these things are consumables or whether they can be used multiple times. I also read that once characters reach level 99 that they can be reset to 0 but you get some perks by doing this. 

I need to start unlocking some more characters. When reading through the hints and tips for the game there are certain characters that provide more benefits than others when picking certain game modes. At the moment I have a few at my disposal but I did unlock Ashe from FFXII last night and then unlocked Yuna from FFX this morning. I've brought my 3DS to work with me so I can continue unlock things during my lunch break.

I ended up buying a song from the eShop. I had around 90p left in credit and so I picked up the fantastic Liberi Fatali from FFVIII. There are so many songs and extra characters that I would like to pick up. Methinks I'll snap up some eShop credit and get purchasing some of these things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

*uses Phoenix Down on topic*

the-office-michael-scott.gif

:p 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Liberi Fatali from FFVIII

Ardente veritate
Urite mala mundi
Ardente veritate
Incendite tenebras mundi

One of my favourite video game tracks :D 

• Haha 1

Theatrhythm is so good, isn't it? I've only got the first one and I still find myself firing it up for a few tunes every 12-18 months. :cool: Each time I'm left wondering the same thing: was I playing with a particular goal in mind before? I think at release when I was playing it regularly, I'd got to a point where I was grinding the chaos shrines--sort of like the grottos in DQ IX if you will--but beyond that, I can never remember what I wanted out of them or why. Just experience? Looking for a particular item to drop? Grinding for shards to unlock the last remaining characters? ::shrug: Dunno, so a few tunes from the challenge menu does me fine.

It's sad to see some of my high scores dated from summer 2012 get replaced with 2022. :(

I was looking at the DLC for Theatrhythm and Curtain Call (3DS DLC is never far from most of our minds these days :p) and, man, Curtain Call originally came out too soon for me to be ready for an expansion, but now? I'm kind of up for it. Were the FMVs retooled for 3D? Some Chrono Trigger tunes to tap and swipe through would be bliss.

Not only that but the FF music (and scenes!) has got me hankering for some classic FF. Might have to dust off the GBA Micro if S-E isn't for bringing those games to the eShop. I still want that 3D version of FF 1 brought over.

In the meantime, you'll find me musically battling on the big bridge.

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm tempted to go for an earlier break just so I can get back on this. :D 

Come, for we slash lazily for revenge!

I managed to do a few quest runs on my lunch break and scored a bunch of shards. I ended up unlocking Locke and Cid. My current team of Seifer, Auron, Rinoa and Vivi have went from level 1 to level 30. Not a bad session.

No, stop! You're making me want to play this again and I have Xenoblade and FE Warriors to play!

If you all aren't using Terra as your main damage dealer, you're not doing it right. She's so broken!

Terra, Benjamin, Sephiroth, Firion. No other team is better!

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

the-office-michael-scott.gif

:p 

Ardente veritate
Urite mala mundi
Ardente veritate
Incendite tenebras mundi

One of my favourite video game tracks :D 

Btw this isn't a karaoke game. 
Close Door The Office GIF - Close Door The Office Michael Scott - Descubre  & Comparte GIFs
Sorry. :p 

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

No, stop! You're making me want to play this again and I have Xenoblade and FE Warriors to play!

If you all aren't using Terra as your main damage dealer, you're not doing it right. She's so broken!

Terra, Benjamin, Sephiroth, Firion. No other team is better!

Go On GIF - Go On - Descubre & Comparte GIFs
Och go on. Just for a couple of songs sure. It'll only take ten mins of your time then you can get back to the big boy gaming.

Don't think I got around to min-maxing the character loadout but I'm partial to the Onion Knight. :cool: Just been back into the Chaos Shrine for a few runs. I subbed in two lvl 99 characters to pick up the slack from the others I was levelling and down some bosses in the meantime. A few shards dropped but I burned through my ribbons in the process--didn't realise/forgot they were consumable. :blush: I could do with clearing the list out so I can get a look at the queue of street pass pickups that are waiting.

That Into the Giant music has got me hungry for some FF IV. Now where'd the DS cartridge get to...?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, darksnowman said:

The touch screen could be the size of a windscreen and I'd still be banging up against the edges. :laughing: 

Haha. I keep doing this as well. The notes where you have to scroll up and down always have me running out of space. :D 

I had a rough session on the game last night. I managed to fail 4 quests in a row. I was trying out a different team and so my levels were low and then I ended up running into stages that were on the Ultimate difficulty. I've managed to get through a couple of these stages with a levelled up team, mainly due to the high HP, but with my current team I couldn't beat them. This happened 3 times in a row. I then picked a quest, got to the end but failed to defeat the boss. I guess my team's damage output just wasn't enough to bring home the win. In the future, when I do runs with a fresh team I will swap them out for the final boss fight.

On a happier note, I did get to see the end credits last night. I'm honestly surprised they unlock at such an early stage of the game. You only need 20k of rhytmia for them to pop up. The remixed Final Fantasy main theme was pretty funky and I enjoyed seeing all the little characters walking along the screen. Despite seeing the credits, I'm not counting the game as finished. I will continue to play it as I want to unlock all of the characters. Speak of which, I unlocked Zidane last night, Chaos for seeing the credits and then I had a quick session this morning and unlocked Jecht. Again, I'm going to be playing it during my lunch break and hopefully I 'll get another unlocked. 

I think I had the credits rolling in the first one before I was hardly into it too. There's still plenty left to go for after that.

Managed to get a new character in the original--Seifer (FF VIII). When checking through the Chaos Shrines I found dark note where the first boss would drop Gray Shards so I went through it a few times to secure the unlock. Seven shadowed-out characters still remain so I might check what colour shards are required and search out the corresponding dark notes.

I used to play curtian call all the time along with picross 3d round 2. Bought all the DLC for it for some reason and did all the tracks on very hard. Haven;t played it in years at this point though. I heard they did Theatrhythem Dragon Quest in Japan years ago but i guess DQ wasn't popular enough to import it over here. What I played for Curtian call was really good though.

Not a bad session this evening. I unlocked Snow, Rydia, Rikku, Celes and Paine. I also got Auron and Zidane to level 99.

I've really started to delve into item usage. I've largely ignored it so far but having now started to use them I see how handy they are. Being able to lower difficult levels, skip stages and all other kind of perks is making things a little easier on the harder Chaos maps.

19 hours ago, martinist said:

I used to play curtian call all the time along with picross 3d round 2. Bought all the DLC for it for some reason and did all the tracks on very hard. Haven;t played it in years at this point though. I heard they did Theatrhythem Dragon Quest in Japan years ago but i guess DQ wasn't popular enough to import it over here. What I played for Curtian call was really good though.

It would have been really nice to have the DQ edition over here. Pity they never did any more 3DS follow-ups. Since they adapted it to home consoles for Kingdom Hearts, it might be cool if S-E cosied up to Nintendo for Theatrhythm Mario RPG Series or something. 

Or maybe Nintendo is still under contract with dance mat. :laughing: 

17 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not a bad session this evening. I unlocked Snow, Rydia, Rikku, Celes and Paine. I also got Auron and Zidane to level 99.

I've really started to delve into item usage. I've largely ignored it so far but having now started to use them I see how handy they are. Being able to lower difficult levels, skip stages and all other kind of perks is making things a little easier on the harder Chaos maps.

How's that work in Curtain Call? Is it still one item equip that will be auto-used during the FMS or BMS? And is what moves you equip on characters still limited by their available CP?

I checked the shard requirements of some more of my silhouetted characters vs my dark notes and closed out a few more unlocks. Snow (FF XIII) whose silhouette I thought was going to be Yuna but checking the roster I already have a  lvl 1 Yuna available so I should've known better really, Kain (FF IV) and Cosmos from FF. :wtf: FF doesn't mean FF I so I haven't the foggiest what this unnumbered entry is.

Not sure how much it helped though I went ahead and used some Tantal Greens and Gysahl Greens just to make sure I'd get far enough on the FMS to get a shot at Boss 2 or 3 -- 3 being where my shard drops were waiting. I'm at no risk of dying on these dark notes so potions and phoenix downs aren't needed and I'm not bothered about what summon I get so I've seen no need to use the summon items. Figured I might as well be using something so the greens it was.

I have Theatrhythm Dragon Quest.  It's fun, but I prefer the side-on view from Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.  It's also super budget in its presentation (moreso than the FF Theatrhythm games); the title screen is so sad it's hilarious.  It does help scratch the itch for more Theatrhythm; though sadly the RPG elements are a bit lost on me with it being all in Japanese.

You know what's even better though? Theatrhythm All Star Carnival; the arcade-only entry in the series.  The Freeplay City arcade in London actually has an All Star Carnival cabinet, and it's tons of fun! Dual-handed Theatrhythm is wild! And the music selection is insane! It even has a couple of tracks from Octopath Traveller! And there's an all-new difficulty level beyond Ultimate that you have to unlock by achieving SS rank in any given song.

If you're in London, you should go there.  It's great fun! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Over the weekend, I continued to put a stupid amount of time into the game and ended up unlocking...

• Cecil
  • Kain
  • Y'sholta
  • Prnicess Sarah
  • Serah
  • Faris
  • Agrias
  • Minwu
  • Hope
  • Vanille
  • Lightning
  • Warrior of Light
  • Firion
  • Shantotto
  • Onion Knight

I've managed to completely exhaust all of the characters gained from orange and peach shards. I also unlocked a small and easy Chaos map that dished out a boss fight that has a chance of dropping the hard to get black shards. I've ran through this one a couple of times and nabbed a few shards from it but one the last run I didn't get any. I'm thinking I can manipulate the map by saving before the final boss, defeating it and then reloading the game before it saves if I don't get the drop I need. I may test this during my lunch break.

I've also been spending lots of time levelling up various characters. I've not got Cloud, Zack, Tidus, Squall, Auron, Terra, Locke, Zidane, Kain, Cosmos and Paine all at level 99. There are still a crazy amount to level though but I doubt I will bother with this as I imagine I'll be finished with the game (unlocked everyone) before this happens.

I dragged @Glen-i down to Freeplay City to play Theatrhythm All Star Carnival...

... you'll be seeing him back in this thread very soon now ;)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I dragged @Glen-i down to Freeplay City to play Theatrhythm All Star Carnival...

... you'll be seeing him back in this thread very soon now ;)

Yes, well. I hate this game.

I hate it because I love it and I can't play it whenever because it's only in Arcades!

The obvious thing of having even more songs then Curtain Call is bad enough, but when it has triple the amount of Mystic Quest songs and even more non FF games (*cough*Octopath Traveler*cough*). It's downright awful that I've played this!

The controls are fun. Consisting of two buttons and two... Uh... other things that... Uh... Are kinda like turntables, but they're not. Uh, you kinda tilt them to hit the arrow notes (the ones that you swipe the touch screen on the 3DS games). Weird at first, but you get used to it.

What I couldn't quite learn was quickly swapping hand position to hit double notes. Basically two notes at once, meaning you had to do 2 inputs at once. Muscle memory from so much 3DS play really messed with me here. Nothing practice can't fix, of course, but... Arcade only...

These double notes really ramp up the difficulty though. Ultimate Difficulty kicked my butt way more then I'd expect! So, imagine my horror when I found out that some of the songs have a fourth difficulty! I'm almost certain it's impossible, unless you utilise the co-op mode. Slightly altered note sets to utilise one person on each half of the buttons, also very fun.

But yeah. This is awesome, and I would pay top money for some kind of port. It wouldn't be quite the same on a traditional controller, but man, I need more Theatrhythm in my life! It's so good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I started playing this because it seemed like quick fun at the end of the day. And sure, it is. I'm not vibin' much with the RPG elements, but I'm sure the Quest Mode will make decent use of it at least.

And then I looked at the LITERALLY 100 DLC SONGS!?! that this game has to offer, and I kinda must weep. Even forcing myself to purchase merely half of them is going to cost me 50€.