NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Goron_3

LTTP: Bayonetta

Thought I'd start another late to the party thread for a game which seems to be universally acclaimed and loved, yet I only picked it up for the first time a month ago.

What can I say, this game is incredible :bouncy:

The whole thing is a like a Tarantino movie; the game oozes style and the art design is fantastic. I love the over the top nature of the gameplay (especially the specials when you get a glimpse of some side boob...:kiss:). The bosses in particular are absolutely incredible in scale; my jaw dropped a few times early on because I couldn't believe how big they were!

I'm currently on chapter 16 and replaying some of the early chapters to improve my rank, which is easy as I'm now a pro at the controls. I've come a long way from the guy who would constantly mess up his dodges!

Anyway, who else here loved this game? Let's share the love! I for one can't wait for the sequel! :grin:

I believe I'm just over halfway through this. Gonna finish it up before the sequel next year for sure. Excellent, excellent game.

I actually think the style and art is one of the most visually offensive things I've ever been subject to, but the way the game plays is an absolute dream. Second only to the first Ninja Gaiden in terms of character action games, and mechanically might be superior (witch time is the best thing to happen to the genre in years).

It could more aptly have been titled "Japan: The Game"

Yeah, the gameplay is incredible, but everything else about it is just so... bad. Still a great game,though.

It's the best "character" action game ever made, no question. Not even The Wonderful 101 matches it!

It's just so perfectly smooth and fluid, so perfectly balanced, refined and tuned. A true master class of combat design! (And the non-combat elements are also very well done; just enough to add some variety to the game and break up the combat, with some clever ideas that utilise your ever expanding skill set - just like Viewtiful Joe!)

Ok the Space Harrier missile and motorbike sections dragged on a bit longer than they should've, but it's still untouchable!

The best game that ever got released on the PS360 by a country mile :D

Okay, I've finally completed this bad boy. Literally in love with it and absolutely gutted that it sold so poorly. It really is utterly Japanese and other than the weird Space Harrier type section and the motorbike bit, it was absolutely perfect.

Literally love the gameplay! Agree with Bard in that witch time is superb..once you get the timing down you feel like a badass. Time to go and get Gold in every section now!

Out of interest, how do you guys think it compares to the likes of DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc?

I thought it was fun and crazy, but the combat wasn't as solid as Dante's Inferno and far from Ninja Gaiden (1 & 2). It was better than DMC4, though.

I found it one of those games best played on an easier setting (but not the ridiculously easy setting), so you can sit back and enjoy the nonsense.

I definitely think it's up there. I think perhaps Ninja Gaiden is a bit more responsive and the enemy behaviours are better telegraphed, although that might be because there's a little less visual clutter in the original Ninja Gaiden. The enemies in Ninja Gaiden are also a lot more lethal (even the standard mobs) but you have all the tools you need to keep them at bay, and if you do, you feel like an absolute champ. I haven't played the DMC reboot, but I can tell you that Bayonetta is better than DMC4 for sure, which had brilliant mechanics, but Capcom didn't end up creating a compelling game around them. The level design and the enemy encounters were a bit mediocre.

Hoping to get this game soon. Well, before the sequel hits Wii U at least. ;)

I read that the PS3 version is quite poor frame rate-wise in comparison to the 360 version though, which is a shame, as that's what I'll be playing it on. :hmm:

Hoping to get this game soon. Well, before the sequel hits Wii U at least. ;)

I read that the PS3 version is quite poor frame rate-wise in comparison to the 360 version though, which is a shame, as that's what I'll be playing it on. :hmm:

Yeah, it's a pale shadow of the 360 version; I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding it in favour of the 360 version if at all possible as it's a very sloppy port sadly.

Alternatively, I still think there's a decent chance that we'll see a Wii U port of the first game; so maybe it might be a good idea to wait for a bit.

Either way, if you must play it on PS3, I'm sure you'll still love it! (and knowing what you thought of TW101, I KNOW you'll love it ;) )

Yeah, it's a pale shadow of the 360 version; I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding it in favour of the 360 version if at all possible as it's a very sloppy port sadly.

Alternatively, I still think there's a decent chance that we'll see a Wii U port of the first game; so maybe it might be a good idea to wait for a bit.

Either way, if you must play it on PS3, I'm sure you'll still love it! (and knowing what you thought of TW101, I KNOW you'll love it ;) )

I'm pretty sure Kayima (or whatever he's called) has gone out and said that he wants Wii U owners to play the original so you never know!

The 360 version really is superb though. Rarely a performance drop..so glad the sequel looks even better!

I've just gone and bought the original (thankfully on XBox after reading this!). Can't wait to play it now. It's also one of the few games that 'Edge' magazine gave an illustrious 10 to!

At first the title of this thread had me completely baffled.

Am I the only one who thought the title was short for 'Link to the Past: Bayonetta'?

That would be a really odd crossover:geek:

At first the title of this thread had me completely baffled.

Am I the only one who thought the title was short for 'Link to the Past: Bayonetta'?

That would be a really odd crossover:geek:

The good thing about the LTTP title is that even if you read it as "Link to the Past" it still makes sense! :laughing:

I got fed up of waiting for any news regarding a potential port of this for Wii U, and instead picked up a copy of the PS3 version for 4 quid. :D

Loving it! :bouncy:

Framerate is definitely a little messy, but not as bad as I was expecting. Certainly doesn't effect the gameplay in a substantial way.

Playing on Normal difficulty, and it's amazing how quickly/comfortably I've got into this. I guess playing through The Wonderful 101 a few months ago was the perfect preparation. :grin:

But yeah, this game (just like W101) is so much fun. Platinum Games really know the score when it comes to producing entertaining gameplay. icon14.gif

And as for Bayonetta herself, wow... Beyond ridiculous. :p So damn funny though. :laughing:

Gotta love Kamiya. :bowdown:

x1RZiOR.jpg

Glad to hear that the frame rate issues aren't too bad for you. Yeah the game is crazy, literally love it. Once you get into a rhythm, you're unstoppable!

Glad to hear that the frame rate issues aren't too bad for you.
It's only very noticeable on cut-scenes. The worst thing during gameplay is actually screen tearing, but I can live with it.

Really enjoying all the little references in this game, like Magical Sound Shower playing in Enzo's car and Rodin quoting the merchant from Resident Evil 4. :cool:

Hopefully Bayonetta 2 will feature some Nintendo Easter eggs. :D

Anyway, I did the 1st boss fight earlier (think it was the first boss anyway, hard to tell with Platinum's games :heh:) against Fortitudo. Awesome battle, I love the crazy QTE sections, but I think I've become a bit desensitised to that OTT action since playing The Wonderful 101. :laughing: So yeah, Platinum are going to have to pull out all the stops on Bayonetta 2's action to really impress me again. :hehe:

By the way, @Goron_3, have you played W101? If not, you should definitely look into checking it out. ;)

A shame that you're playing the PS3 version, but at least you're still enjoying it regardless :hehe:

I was hoping that it would appear in this Nintendo Direct, but I suppose it gives you another reason to get the Wii U version for your 2nd playthrough if it happens :)

Make sure to replay the game on a higher difficulty (the one that disables Witch Time). It's a lot more challenging and fun.

It's only very noticeable on cut-scenes. The worst thing during gameplay is actually screen tearing, but I can live with it.

Really enjoying all the little references in this game, like Magical Sound Shower playing in Enzo's car and Rodin quoting the merchant from Resident Evil 4. :cool:

Hopefully Bayonetta 2 will feature some Nintendo Easter eggs. :D

Anyway, I did the 1st boss fight earlier (think it was the first boss anyway, hard to tell with Platinum's games :heh:) against Fortitudo. Awesome battle, I love the crazy QTE sections, but I think I've become a bit desensitised to that OTT action since playing The Wonderful 101. :laughing: So yeah, Platinum are going to have to pull out all the stops on Bayonetta 2's action to really impress me again. :hehe:

By the way, @Goron_3, have you played W101? If not, you should definitely look into checking it out. ;)

I've played a bit of it and I LOVE it. Once my exams are over in January i'l be investing some serious time into it.

A shame that you're playing the PS3 version, but at least you're still enjoying it regardless :hehe:
It's really not as bad as I was led to believe though. :blank:

I suppose if you're able to make a direct comparison between both consoles that will highlight any issues with the PS3 version, but having only experienced this version it honestly looks, and much more importantly plays fine to me. :smile:

Perhaps they were able to fix quite a bit via patches. And I haven't encountered any of these horrible loading times that I kept hearing about before playing the game. ::shrug:

I was hoping that it would appear in this Nintendo Direct, but I suppose it gives you another reason to get the Wii U version for your 2nd playthrough if it happens :)
I'm pretty sure it'll be 3rd or 4th playthrough by then. :D

I've played a bit of it and I LOVE it. Once my exams are over in January i'l be investing some serious time into it.
Cool. icon14.gif

And kudos for being able to stop yourself from playing it. Once I started playing W101 I was literally glued to my Wii U until I'd finished it!... Several times. :hehe:

Crazy addictive game. :laughing:

Playing on Normal difficulty, and it's amazing how quickly/comfortably I've got into this. I guess playing through The Wonderful 101 a few months ago was the perfect preparation. :grin:
Definitely spoke too soon there. :heh: This game has been well and truly kicking my arse since passing the first few chapters! :o I've had to use 5+ continues on pretty much every stage.

Think I'm nearing the end now though.

I'll replay on an easier difficulty next time, before attempting hard. :D

Sign in to follow this