NEurope
are1981

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Wii U)

Let's be fair here. It's a 2D, hand drawn HD game, made on a budget of less than $1 million (looking at just the Kickstarter funds at least - and no, that's not a lot of money in game development). Of course there were going to be compromises.

It's smaller in scope than previous games out of sheer necessity. That's the price you pay for HD.

It's just a shame because you can clearly see where they had to make those cuts they had to make.

Edited by Dcubed

I turn my TV down to 1 and I can STILL hear the boot-up music! Why is it so loud?

Anyway, I finished it myself, @Dcubed pretty much covered everything I would have said.

I was also disappointed when going for the Good ending. I was expecting a secret Final Boss like Pirate's Curse did.

Anyway, DLC is out, guys!

15843939_1167030950082014_4662377440856711063_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=792f941aef6024ca871a437a68655c68&oe=591BFE61

New update rolling out today, including Hard Core Mode. Looks.. hard - and core!

What to expect in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero HARD CORE MODE:

Pain and suffering!

Harder hitting enemies!

Faster enemy patterns!

Faster scroll speeds!

Remixed enemy locations, and more of ‘em!

New Boss patterns, attacks, and stats!

Healing Items capped at six!

Re-balanced magic items!

Poor Shantae!

Again, HARD CORE MODE is free for everyone, and is included with Update 1.01

Edited by MindFreak

The Risky Boots DLC comes out on August 29th!

Also, more details about other upcoming DLC below...

http://nintendoeverything.com/shantae-half-genie-hero-pirate-queens-quest-complete-wayforward-working-on-friends-mode-dlc-more/

Pirate Queen’s Quest!

The Risky Boots DLC, “Pirate Queen’s Quest” is now complete, and has been submitted to Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo! Yay! Some of you may have noticed that the game has already received an update over the past few days. That’s because we’ve added new achievements and trophies, as well as other game code to support the inbound DLC!

The game will be available publicly as premium DLC, but will be free to Backers. We’re working hard to ensure that Backers can play this content early, before it’s released to the general public. We’ll update you once we’ve passed submission and have codes in hand! Please remember that each platform handles codes differently, so we’ll do the best we can to get them out on or around the same time. We hope you’ll look forward to this HUGE ADDITION to the game!

As a reminder, you will receive the DLC code that matches the platform (or platforms) you already selected for the main game. We can’t mix or match the DLC, since we have to buy these download codes in advance, so thank you for your understanding.

Tinkerbat Dance DLC is here!

We’re happy to report that we now have Tinkerbat Dance Download Codes for every platform. Without further ado, we’ll start distributing those to qualifying Backers this week! This DLC will allow Shantae to transform into a Tinkerbat to slice foes, and double-jump using the Tinker-Copter!

Keep your eyes on that inbox!

NOTE: We’d like to remind everyone that DLC was created exclusively for Backers at the “$55 and above” Tier. Since then, a lot of you have requested that this be released publicly for those who missed it. At this time, our desire is to keep this content exclusive to those who backed it. However, we’re considering releasing it at some later date, after a lengthy exclusivity period.

We’d really like to hear what you, our Backers, think about this. Please share your opinions in the comments section of our Kickstarter Page.

Color Swaps + Drifter Blade DLC Update!

Some more good news: The “Blue Shantae” and “Classic Risky” color swaps, as well as the “Drifter Blade” are complete! We’ll have more info on that next time. We’ve got a lot of content for you, coming in HOT!

Friends Mode DLC Update!

With Pirate Queen’s Quest behind us, we’re hard at work on the Friends Mode DLC. We’re making excellent progress on this new mode, which (like Pirate Queen’s Quest) adds an all new storyline, new levels, and a special boss encounter. At present, we’re about halfway done with this mode. Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops are all playable and lookin’ good! We’ll do a full update on this exciting new content soon!

See you then!

Didn't even know they were doing another DLC pack after Risky Boots.  Nice!

Hopefully we get a substantial amount of new stages, without the backtracking which bogged down the main game.  There's a good game here, there just isn't enough of it to keep the game going without the need for padding.

I'll probably re-buy it and play it on Switch for this DLC (surprised that nobody in this topic has mentioned that a Switch version of the game came out!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Darn it, I really want to play Pirate Queen's Quest, but in all honesty can't help seeing this whole venture as a bit of a rip-off.  I've bought Half-Genie Hero on Wii U, but there's no cross-buy discount.  Getting it again would be a combined total of £15.99 + £15.99 + cost of DLC.  How much is the DLC anyway?  You have to consider customers who don't use Kickstarter.

On top of that I don't even really know the full extent of the DLC.  All I've seen so far is the Risky Boots character fighting the same bosses and new medium-sized enemy.  She's a cool character and I like the way they've done it, but I hoped she'd have a campaign of her own.

I'd get it ASAP if I didn't have it on Wii U, but I just think they could be a bit more generous to those who've already bought it.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Darn it, I really want to play Pirate Queen's Quest, but in all honesty can't help seeing this whole venture as a bit of a rip-off.  I've bought Half-Genie Hero on Wii U, but there's no cross-buy discount.  Getting it again would be a combined total of £15.99 + £15.99 + cost of DLC.  How much is the DLC anyway?  You have to consider customers who don't use Kickstarter.

On top of that I don't even really know the full extent of the DLC.  All I've seen so far is the Risky Boots character fighting the same bosses and new medium-sized enemy.  She's a cool character and I like the way they've done it, but I hoped she'd have a campaign of her own.

I'd get it ASAP if I didn't have it on Wii U, but I just think they could be a bit more generous to those who've already bought it.

The lack of discounts is also Nintendo's fault here, since they currently don't have support up and running for cross platform discounts/freebies on Switch yet (they also don't have support for bundles yet).  Can't really blame Wayforward here (they've offered cross platform discounts before on Wii U/3DS, so I would imagine that they'd want to do it here but can't right now).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

The lack of discounts is also Nintendo's fault here, since they currently don't have support up and running for cross platform discounts/freebies on Switch yet (they also don't have support for bundles yet).

Apparently, Jackbox party games are going to get a bundle price on Switch soonish. Saw it on their Twitter feed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, londragon said:

Apparently, Jackbox party games are going to get a bundle price on Switch soonish. Saw it on their Twitter feed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That would be a first for Switch (and also really annoying since I've already bought all 3 already :p ).  Hopefully that's the case anyway!

• Like 1

The patch was up sometime during the night, but the DLC still seems not available? Has anyone downloaded it yet?

Shantae fans, we have the news you’ve been waiting for! The lovely hair-whipping, belly dancing half-genie is coming to the Nintendo Switch™ in the physical Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition! Get ready to feel the beat as you jump, fight, and transform through this exciting adventure!

And she won’t be alone!

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition will include the Pirate Queen’s Quest! Slide into bodacious buccaneer Risky Boots’ stylish footwear as you traverse Sequin Land in a brand-new storyline as the Queen of the Seven Seas!

Not only that, the Ultimate Edition will come with “Friends Mode” and “Costume Mode”! In Friends Mode, Shantae’s pals Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops must survive Shantae’s Nightmare and save their friend from doom, while Costume Mode provides three new arcade-style adventures; Dash, slash, and teleport as Ninja Shantae, work on your tan as Beach Shantae, or alter the level around you ‘Mighty Switch Force’ style as Officer Shantae!

I'm glad I held off double dipping on the game. I'll certainly pick up the physical edition when it arrives.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm glad I held off double dipping on the game. I'll certainly pick up the physical edition when it arrives.

Hopefully the digital version will be updated to the Ultimate Edition as well.

I may get it, but it won't be a priority, I'll probably save it for next year. I already bought the DLC.

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I may get it, but it won't be a priority, I'll probably save it for next year. I already bought the DLC.

I don't think it's releasing until next year, anyway.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don't think it's releasing until next year, anyway.

Good ;).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2034571

Details about the upcoming DLC, Friends to the End! Woo!

It has already been submitted to lotcheck and should be coming out before the end of the year!

c707dc476297d991bf1945e15d9b2fe3_origina

Rottytops is definitely the best character!

They basically admit that it was cut content from the game (it was originally meant to be a section that takes place inside Shantae's memories when she turns into Nega Shantae - before they didn't manage to hit their Kickstarter stretch goal) that has been expanded into its own game mode.  But hey! We're finally getting it! Yay! :yay:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

*bump*

I finished this over the weekend on the Switch. What a lovely game! Pirate's Curse is the other Shantae game I've played, so that is my main comparison. The dances are a fun addition (that, as I understand, return from the older games). The drawn style is pretty and fits the game well. Humour was a bit more conservative this time, although there were some good jokes and puns here and there (Squid Baron is awesome, as was he in Pirate's Curse).

So how is the DLC? Is it worth it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2019 at 5:23 PM, Vileplume2000 said:

*bump*

I finished this over the weekend on the Switch. What a lovely game! Pirate's Curse is the other Shantae game I've played, so that is my main comparison. The dances are a fun addition (that, as I understand, return from the older games). The drawn style is pretty and fits the game well. Humour was a bit more conservative this time, although there were some good jokes and puns here and there (Squid Baron is awesome, as was he in Pirate's Curse).

So how is the DLC? Is it worth it?

I re-bought this on Switch about a month ago and am really pleased I did.  Whilst I was fairly negative about the stand-alone game on Wii U (and stand by most of my criticisms), I more appreciated what they were trying to do this time round.  As for the DLC, it is all based on finding new ways to replay the main game, mostly with the same stages and bosses.  These new modes are all more challenging than Shantae's main quest, as you only have a few hearts.  Requirement conditions for the "win screens" are also much harsher.

Pirate Queen's Quest brings back a lot of the core gameplay from Shantae and Pirate's Curse, such as gliding with your hat and bouncing with the cannon.  WayForward has also taken the opportunity to reintroduce some previously missing enemies such as the Scorpion Woman, the Lobster Monster and the Imp Women (not sure what their proper names are!) It's pretty good fun, and Risky is a genuinely good character, so I look forward to returning to this one.

Officer Mode is probably the best of all.  It's based on Mighty Switch Force, and gets remarkably close to that experience.  Arguably, the switching blocks are a bit too much to concentrate on in addition to the standard hazards, but it's certainly thrilling at times.  Level 3-2's monster chase is memorable!

Friends to the End has you switching between the three supporting characters, which is, again, a bit much to concentrate on, but I hope to finish it.  Beach Mode is tough because it has a strict time limit where you have to keep collecting sun tan lotion.  And I'm not quite sure what Ninja Mode is based on, but it's another mode for those who want it.

Between them, the main game, Pirate Queen's Quest and Officer Mode are a sort of "Best of WayForward", showcasing the best gameplay they have come up with over various titles.  All in all, Shantae's extra content hasn't changed my general opinion of DLC, but I definitely had fun with it.  I recommend it if you like a challenge and don't mind the fact it's mostly the same content played in different ways.

• Thanks 1