NEurope
are1981

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Wii U)

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

I have never played any game in this series, but in little over a year, I can. This will get funded, for sure! I have felt the Shantae-love in this and other forums.

Tempted to pledge... but, why are they bringing Shantae to all consoles suddenly?

I'm still trying to decide if this is a good thing or not, obviously more people get to experience the game which is good, though I quite liked that the series had only appeared on Nintendo platforms so far.

Either way this will almost certainly reach its target of $400,000 with relative ease I would have thought, it's already above $30,500 with 29 days to go!

It seems a bit greedy to be honest. Not so much them starting a Kickstarter, but having stretch goals from the start. They should be added when the original value has been reached (or is close), and then add them one or two at a time.

OK, I'm sorry but does a game like this really require 1.3 million dollars to add those features?

100k just for costumes? Really?

The game looks good and I'm looking forward to Pirates Curse, but seriously?

$400,000 seems way too cheap to produce the game even at the minimum level. $1,200,000 actually sounds pretty realistic for a game made with HD sprites from scratch (MSFHD would've been much cheaper to produce because they already had assets to work with). Look at the Kickstarter for Skullgirls if you want to see how expensive sprite production work can be!

The thing that feels weird to me is that the Kickstarter for this appears before Pirate's Curse has even had a proper trailer, let alone a release! At least get that game out of the door before begging for money to make a sequel!

OK, I'm sorry but does a game like this really require 1.3 million dollars to add those features?

The game looks good and I'm looking forward to Pirates Curse, but seriously?

As I mentioned before, they're probably really low balling the cost of the project in an attempt to make the Kickstarter look more achievable for backers. If they got just $400,000, then no doubt they would have to fund a huge chunk of the production costs themselves.

$1-1.2 million is probably the total estimated cost of the whole production and they feel that $400,000 is the minimum safety net that they need to be comfortable in chucking in $600,000-800,000-ish of their own money.

Edited by Dcubed

It seems a bit greedy to be honest. Not so much them starting a Kickstarter, but having stretch goals from the start. They should be added when the original value has been reached (or is close), and then add them one or two at a time.

I think stretch goals at start are fairly common. Added incentive I suppose.

Short answer:

giphy.gif

Well, this is certainly good news and I'd definitely buy it. Honestly though... does anyone else think Shantae has lost a certain amount of appeal in this? I like the visual style, but not so much the character designs. Shantae herself looks a bit pear-shaped, rather than having a concave waist then convex hips.

Risky Boots, too, if you look at the design for the HD game compared to this, has lost a lot of charm:

60532_153655707995993_149435571751340_403055_3662777_n.jpg

But as I say, it looks good and I will buy it. I just notice weird things. :heh:

New Half-Genie trailer:

0:27 - one of the sand creatures from the first game

0:51 - mermaids hooked on claws? :heh:

I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think it has the same appeal as the others.

EDIT - Brilliant music though:

Edited by Grazza

I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think it has the same appeal as the others.

Why do you feel that?

Is this a sequel to The Pirate's Curse?

I'm playing that right now, and damn......I think I'm in love.

Why do you feel that?

I strongly dislike some aspects of the art style. Although everything is well drawn and nicely coloured, I dislike the way they have made Shantae look like a little girl.

In the first couple of games she looked like a young woman (could easily be 18, for instance) and had a broad appeal to most demographics, but they have made her progressively younger ever since. She was just about OK in the 3rd game (could have been 16), but she now looks about 12 or 13. Although the in-game sprite looks fine, she looks extremely young in the "portraits" (eg. the image at the front of the recent trailer) and I have no idea why they'd do this.

A good graphic that illustrates the point:

5uCNNki.png

The DS version is the best, in my opinion.

Is this a sequel to The Pirate's Curse?

I'm playing that right now, and damn......I think I'm in love.

Good man! I'd love to hear your views on it.

And yes, I hear Matt Bozon confirmed this as a sequel (in this case, the 4th game in the series). I assumed it was a prequel (for the reasons above), but apparently it's a sequel.

I strongly dislike some aspects of the art style. Although everything is well drawn and nicely coloured, I dislike the way they have made Shantae look like a little girl.

Ah right, thought you had an issue with the gameplay or something. I agree with on her design of for game, not a fan. Looks alright in game. Pirate's Curse Shantae is the best design.

I also thought this was a prequel.

Ah right, thought you had an issue with the gameplay or something.

Nope, I'm really chuffed they're going back to animal transformations. My ideal Shantae would be one where every creature let you explore a different type of environment. So, for example, monkey, elephant and mermaid are standard, but I'd also love a mole that lets you tunnel underground. I think that'd be excellent!

By the way, Ike, do you know if the overworld is fully linked-up, or are areas accessed off a menu?

By the way, Ike, do you know if the overworld is fully linked-up, or are areas accessed off a menu?

Not really heard anything about the overworld but I haven't been following it very closely. I'm assuming it's all linked up, I think it's only broken up into a menu for the early access demo if that's what your referring to.

Wishing I gave a bit more to get an early access code, but good things come to those who wait, right?

Good man! I'd love to hear your views on it.

And yes, I hear Matt Bozon confirmed this as a sequel (in this case, the 4th game in the series). I assumed it was a prequel (for the reasons above), but apparently it's a sequel.

I just love Shantae, she's so beautiful :3

And I agree with the strange change of visual direction you posted about.

Maybe it's because she is a 1/2 genie in that game...

I just love Shantae, she's so beautiful :3

And I agree with the strange change of visual direction you posted about.

Maybe it's because she is a 1/2 genie in that game...

She's half genie in most of them. :heh:

Another thing is I can't wait for Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut. I could never get the speed run in the original, but am more hopeful this time.

She's half genie in most of them. :heh:

Another thing is I can't wait for Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut. I could never get the speed run in the original, but am more hopeful this time.

Oh, yeah, right....:heh:

Then they're just being strange because she doesn't look as sexy in the new outing anymore.

By the way, I have played Risky's Revenge and now The Pirate's Curse, but the very first Shantae is also downloadable right?

Is that the prequel to Risky's Revenge?

By the way, I have played Risky's Revenge and now The Pirate's Curse, but the very first Shantae is also downloadable right?

Is that the prequel to Risky's Revenge?

Yeah, GBC game on the 3DS Virtual Console. The first three games are all definitely in the right order. Even though Half-Genie Hero is the 4th game in the series, I'm still not convinced it's set after the others, but we'll see.

Regarding the first game, a little tip: I personally didn't find it playable until I used Restore Points. Everyone's different, but they were really useful to me.

Regarding the first game, a little tip: I personally didn't find it playable until I used Restore Points. Everyone's different, but they were really useful to me.

Getting some kind of world map online wouldn't go amiss as well.

The game is a teensy bit ambitious for it's time. Still great though. If not as great as the other 2.

Edited by Glen-i

Getting some kind of world map online wouldn't go amiss as well.

The game is a teensy bit ambitious for it's time. Still great though. If not as great as the other 2.

True.

Maybe we'll get the GBA-enhanced version sometime now GBA is on the Virtual Console. OK, it's for the GBC, but I believe the emulator would have to treat it as a GBA game. Still wouldn't have a map, but would have the Tinkerbat transformation.

One for the next handheld, I think.

shantae_co_by_disembowell-d8hgpy7.png

So, hmyeah....

I have never been the 'waifu' type, but god damn this over-sexualization of women in this game I endorse thoroughly.

I reviewed that game back in March and my main complaint was exactly that there was simply too much unneeded semi-nudity in it. It was just a bit too much for my taste.

Edited by MindFreak

shantae_co_by_disembowell-d8hgpy7.png

So, hmyeah....

I have never been the 'waifu' type, but god damn this over-sexualization of women in this game I endorse thoroughly.

Darn, that's an amazing image! Great to see all four side by side!

This is my issue with Half-Genie Hero - they're not going to be able to do the same thing whilst the characters look so young.

As for Pirate's Curse - absolutely fantastic! In an age where feminists are trying to ruin everything, and even Lara Croft is toned-down (ruined), it's refreshing to see a developer who gets it just right.

I reviewed that game back in March and my main complaint was exactly that there was simply too much unneeded semi-nudity in it. It was just a bit too much for my taste.

I like the way their boobs protrude when 3D is turned on. : peace: