NEurope
bryanee

Nintendo 2DS

But portability may help the 10 and upwards market, kids who 'go out' to play. Plus as an original 'portable gaming device' Gameboy owner... you try shoving one of them in your pocket (I tried... couldn't walk). Same with DS, DSLite, 3DS... None are really pocket sized, only the SP (just) and micro could even begin to claim that!

But It wouldn't be a factor for my 4 year old. She'd either play it at home, in the car or we'd carry it with us (along with the bag that carries the regular ton of stuff we take with us anyway!

I really believe it it 'the perfect design for my needs (if only they did a pink one!).

What of kids carrying to school for all their awesome streetpasses and playtime trades/battles/races/multiplayer funsies? At least til they all get banned when something goes wrong.

Totes disagree on the pockets btw! I can, and have, fit a micro, an sp, an original GBA, a DS Phat, a DS Lite, A DSIXL, and my current original 3DS all in my pockets. I even once managed to fit the OLD gameboy in a pocket, but that was pushing it a bit(the pocket was already ripped a bit bigger :p). Of course, sometimes these were blazer/hoody pockets but I CAN and do fit my 3DS in my jeans/trouser pockets atm for my glorious steps and streetpasses!

Gameboy Micro

But the Micro was the best GBA...

Edited by Ike

Making the new console is exactly their intent. 2DS is the tablet with plastic strip in the middle! It's just a testbed for later full version.

The same as DSi was a testbed for online store. The same as DSiXL was testbed for less portable, bigger handheld. The same as GBA SP was testbed for clamshell design.

Nintendo kind of has history of foreshadowing their design ideas... and currently all facts point to tablet being next-gen unified Nintendo console.

Which may come sooner than we think considering the WiiU performance.

WiiU successor certainly won't be a x86 based living-room monster, it's too late for that. And they'll need a WiiU successor sooner than later.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2014 N pulled a "3rd tier" thing again... We have home console, we have handheld console, and now in between with home performance and handheld portability and controls, her's the Nintendo Tablet! It plays new games, retro games, it plays (3)DS games, it has a store that actually works, it has huge amounts of memory for downloads. It plugs into TV. It kind of looks cool. [and then they proceed to completely ignore WiiU and 3DS].

Edit: And of course, the Tablet comes in two sizes - smaller for kids and XL for elderly and hardcore (or elderly hardcore :D)

It really isn't. They specifically stated what it is for. It's a cheap model of the 3DS with no stereoscopic 3D making it perfect for kids. THAT IS ALL.

I honestly don't get where you're getting this.

Wow, people are passionate on this topic.

It is aimed as the budget version of the 3DS, with less features (no 3D obviously). Thankfully, they've chosen to remove the feature many people weren't that bothered about, and some were put off by. Unlike the Wii Mini, which removed online and GameCube capability. It's just the odd game that'll be seriously affected by lack of 3D / clameshell aspects.

It looks like a younger kids toy and its aimed the way. Hopefully it's made pretty sturdy and comfy to play with.

I think the main thing is trying to get it at retail for under £100. Currently there are good offers on regular 3DS and XLs. This week we bought an XL with Luigi's Mansion 2 (and free digital copy of animal crossing via promotion) for £155. I think £110 for a 2DS with no games is too much.

I would assume that the design would prevent screen damage if it falls on the floor. If it falls on a jaggedy table edge than obviously that's going to be different (but you shouldn't have those around children anyway :heh:)

Will see if I can figure it out later!

Slightly off topic - but given that this (to me) looks like the 3ds version of the Wii mini, does anyone think this could be like the last 3ds version we see before a new console?

It seems like there will be no more 'updated' versions of the 3ds so what would be left? Just continue making games for it for the next couple of years or are they secretly planning to unleash a new handheld moving away from the 'DS' name to something entirely different!!? Who knows?!

Slightly off topic - but given that this (to me) looks like the 3ds version of the Wii mini, does anyone think this could be like the last 3ds version we see before a new console?

It seems like there will be no more 'updated' versions of the 3ds so what would be left? Just continue making games for it for the next couple of years or are they secretly planning to unleash a new handheld moving away from the 'DS' name to something entirely different!!? Who knows?!

They've still got the 2DSxl to go for next year :laughing:

Na, we're a long way off.

A very clear, consice and easy to understand advert from Nintendo!?!? :o

I got a 3DS XL for the same price...

Yeah was going to say - £110 is a terrible price! Nintendo really need to stop overcharging for their tech. I wouldn't value a budget 3DS at much more than £80-85.

I think "plays all 3DS/DS games... in 2D" sounds more confusing than it needs to... well not than it needs to because that's really the only option to go with. It's just there are way too many similar names and versions in Nintendo's console library.

I think they need to bring the Game Boy name back for their next console. I don't think there's really much more they can do with the DS name without causing even more confusion.

Yeah was going to say - £110 is a terrible price! Nintendo really need to stop overcharging for their tech. I wouldn't value a budget 3DS at much more than £80-85.

Don't forget Nintendo don't set their hardware prices in the UK because... I still have no idea.

I tested earlier* and if the console were to fall down the raised buttons would prevent any impact on the screen.

*tested means I lay it down flat. I don't think Nintendo would have appreciated me dropping the console.

It would be nice to see the Gameboy come back in some way

Same here. I always liked the idea of the three pillars, but I guess the financial climate at the time just made it too risky of a strategy.

Yeah I too think it would be nice to bring back the Gameboy but you just know there's people thinking the name is politically incorrect/sexist etc etc which is a shame :blank:

Overcharging? I assume you mean the Wii U was overcharged when it was at launch, despite the fact it was being sold at a loss?

Ever consider that these things are priced in accordance to what they are worth? Other than the original price inflation of the 3DS, Nintendo is very conservative with these things

Overcharging? I assume you mean the Wii U was overcharged when it was at launch, despite the fact it was being sold at a loss?

Ever consider that these things are priced in accordance to what they are worth? Other than the original price inflation of the 3DS, Nintendo is very conservative with these things

But Nintendo don't set the prices. Sheesh, I thought you were Mr. fact-checker :heh:

Same here. I always liked the idea of the three pillars, but I guess the financial climate at the time just made it too risky of a strategy.

Really though, the three pillar thing was just PR bull in case the DS failed. They don't need two handhelds running concurrently. That would be ridiculous

But Nintendo don't set the prices. Sheesh, I thought you were Mr. fact-checker :heh:

You know that even though they don't, they suggest the same price to all.

Why would I consider the untrue?

How on earth is it untrue?

Wii U was being sold at a loss ergo it's not being overcharged.

With the 3DS units, the profit margin is relatively slim.

The idea of a business is to make profit on a product, not to lose money on it just so people can buy it

I don't believe consoles should ever initially be sold at what they are worth in terms of specs - they should be attractive trojan horses sold at break even/small loss for gobbling up consumers to stick with them and buy their content. Just look at what Google are doing with their Nexus range.

How the fuck the Wii U sold at a loss given it is mostly old tech and was being sold at not much less than the PS4 when it was released (the PS4 is reportedly not being sold at a loss) is beyond me.

Are you telling me you agree with the stripped down 2DS pricing at £110? Bearing in mind it is being sold for maybe £20 less than the Vita, which bitch slaps this system into submission in every way in terms of specs.

You know that even though they don't, they suggest the same price to all.

From what they say, they really don't. They will of course give retailers a purchasing price, but I don't think they even give a RRP to them.

I don't believe consoles should ever initially be sold at what they are worth in terms of specs - they should be attractive trojan horses sold at break even/small loss for gobbling up consumers to stick with them and buy their content. Just look at what Google are doing with their Nexus range.

How the fuck the Wii U sold at a loss given it is mostly old tech and was being sold at not much less than the PS4 when it was released (the PS4 is reportedly not being sold at a loss) is beyond me.

Are you telling me you agree with the stripped down 2DS pricing at £110? Bearing in mind it is being sold for maybe £20 less than the Vita, which bitch slaps this system into submission in every way in terms of specs.

£110 is about right. Vita is like £160 for WiFi, and £180 for 3G...not £130 as you put, so I don't know where you are getting this from. That's without a game or memory card, too. So out the gate you're already losing a lot of money

Sony took a huge loss with the PS3, and it drained their finances. Anything they made with the PS1 and PS2 got depleted. Why you would want Nintendo to do this with their systems, I have no idea. Them actually earning money is beneficial as it means they can actually survive as a company. It's absolutely ridiculous that people come up with their own arbitrary view of what a console is worth, rather than what it is actually worth, and then insist that their view is the case.

Also, specs don't sell a system, games do. This is always the pattern. People always insist the best selling one will be the most powerful, and it never is. So it doesn't matter that the Vita "slaps the system into submission in terms of specs". Seriously, who the hell cares?