NEurope
Ronnie

Eurogamer Expo

Is anyone going to this next month?

I've never been, how does it compare to the likes of E3 and Gamescom in Germany? Obviously nowhere near as big, but will there be a Nintendo booth for example? Or will it be more like half a dozen Wii U stations and that's it?

I'm going on the Thursday.

Nintendo usually have am ample sized area, but the event itself is so busy expect long queues.

Not able to go this year. Way too close to XY launch so I need to be at my PC constantly. It's a shame as I enjoyed it last year

I'm going on the Thursday.

Nintendo usually have am ample sized area, but the event itself is so busy expect long queues.

Yeah I can imagine. Though the majority of queues this year will most likely be for the XBox One and PS4? Last year it was probably all about the Wii U.

So would Mario 3D World, Zelda ALBW, Donkey Kong etc be available to play at this do we think?

Yeah I can imagine. Though the majority of queues this year will most likely be for the XBox One and PS4? Last year it was probably all about the Wii U.

So would Mario 3D World, Zelda ALBW, Donkey Kong etc be available to play at this do we think?

I would assume they would be as they were at the post-E3 press thing and are at GamesComm.

Nintendo announces line-up for Eurogamer Expo

Nintendo is the latest platform holder to announce its line-up for this year's Eurogamer Expo, promising visitors the opportunity to go hands-on with the likes of Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on 3DS and a host of indie titles for both consoles.

Our sister site Nintendo Life is also collaborating with Nintendo to run a StreetPass Zone where attendees can top up their StreetPass hits - good news for Mr Mendel and his bloody garden - and take part in 3DS tournament challenges for Star Fox 64 3D, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Visitors to Nintendo's stand at the Expo can also pose for photos with Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Link and Pikachu, who are taking time off from their congressional obligations to press the flesh with their constituents.

The Eurogamer Expo takes place at Earls Court, London, from 26th-29th September. Tickets sold out in record time this year, with over 70,000 gamers expected to visit the show over its four days in town.

Wii U games playable on Nintendo's stand:

Bayonetta 2

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Sonic Lost World

Super Mario 3D World

The Wonderful 101

3DS titles playable at the show:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Sonic Lost World

Games playable in Nintendo's special Indie Zone:

Coaster Crazy Deluxe (Wii U)

Knytt Underground (Wii U)

Putty Squad (3DS)

Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (Wii U)

Retro City Rampage (3DS)

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Wii U)

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS)

Tengami (Wii U)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-05-nintendo-announces-line-up-for-eurogamer-expo

I'm going tomorrow for the 2PM opening. Oh God I'm scared to think of what the PS4 and Xbone queues are gonna be like.

Anyone who went today, please tell me that the queues aren't as horrifically terrible as I'm imagining that they will be (cause I'm not gonna really be playing any of the Nintendo stuff apart from some of the indie titles - I'm gonna be buying everything they've got on show there the day they come out anyway :p )

They are horribly terrible sorry :p

I hit the PS4 as soon as I went in (STUPID PS4, TAKE THIS!) and I got in an hour earlier than the main peasants, and I still had to wait about 15 minutes in the queue. However, we went pretty quickly as we were filling up the area. As the day went along, it become one-in-one-out and I'd imagine the wait would be around an hour.

Nintendo's indie titles didn't really have a wait, but annoyingly the queues for the bigger titles tangle around the indie ones.

I took two spins of the Nintendo Swag Wheel (you get to spin if you play a Wii U and 3DS game) and both time got Zelda stickers :(

Cheers. I'm not surprised one bit (plenty of time to play my 3DS then!)

Ahh well, Should be enough time to at least have a go on each of the consoles anyway.

Glad to hear about the Wii U & 3DS indie queues though. Looking forward to copping some quality time with Tengami, Qube and Shantae & the Pirate's Curse! :D

BTW, I don't suppose you know if the PS4 and Xbone queues are for the console sections or the games themselves? I ask because I was thinking I might look for the PS4 indie games section instead of stuff like Killzone or Titanfall (I'd imagine those queues are shorter and I'm more interested in those games than the retail stuff anyway).

The queue was for the PS4 section, but round the back of it was a small section of indies. The Titanfall queue was HUGE.

How did you manage two spins Ashley!? I spun once, it seemed to land on Zelda stickers but then fell back to Pikmin keyring (rock type), chuffed. Back tomorrow and Sunday.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the queues, but then I didn't bother with PS4 and Xbone. Mario Kart 8 only had two displays, so that was about a 15 minute wait, but otherwise easy enough. The Nintendo booth was a bit smaller than the other two but was always packed.

Annoying having to play 3D World with three others though, not a fan of multiplayer Mario.

Link Between Worlds was great, it played beautifully, so smooth with lovely animations.

Just washed my hand after the first spin and went back a few hours later.

Simple enough :D

Did you take a pic of a Link drawing outside Earls Court with your 3DS? GAME had a competition of some sort on if you went to them with a pic.

Going tomorrow. Brother went today and said there was only 2 wii u booths each for MK8 and Bayonetta 2.

There is:

4x Mario 3D World (up to 4 player each)

2x Mario Kart 8 (up to 2 player each)

3x Wind Waker HD + a Gamecube version

2 (or 3) x Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (2 players)

8x A Link Between Worlds

The Mario Kart line was longest

Little tip for anyone wanting to try out the PS4 controller, go the Playstation Playzone area where they have Skylanders and such. The systems are all rigged up to PS4 pads and damn, it is glorious. Best controller of the three new systems by far.

The Titanfall queue was crazy! Near enough 2 hours for 10min gameplay!

Its a great game but damn that queue was torture. After that I queued about 1 hour for Bayonetta 2 which I wasnt happy about.

Nintendo having only two Bayonetta 2 pods was some serious BS. Also the same for Mario Kart 8 and what makes it worse you have to play in splitscreen mode!

Seriously Nintendo, sort it out.

I hope the Mario Kart demo was on 50cc or 100cc as it seemed too slow for me.

Pokemon looked like the biggest queue in nintendo booth, after doing titanfall and bayonetta 2 I decided I wasnt doing anymore long queuing so skipped Pokemon, skipped dead rising, skipped Forza 5 and skipped PS4.

Must have hit 90 - 100 streetpass hits today. :)

Edited by khilafah

I assume Titanfall was the Xbox One version and not the PC one?

PC I think with 360 pad.

one thing I didnt like about Mario Kart 8 was that one of the players has to play with the motion controls BS. I had to swap with my mate as I cant play Mario Kart like that.

Gotta say I was more impressed when I first played Mario Kart 7.

Edited by khilafah

If anyone is about and they see Dream; could they find Sam (who should be standing next to it if he's doing his job properly) and tell him he owes me money please? Thanks.

Mario Kart 8 plays almost exactly like Mario Kart Wii, just with updated graphics, the anti gravity aspect is barely noticeable. Bit disappointed.

Various impressions of non-Nintendo related stuff...

PS4 controller: BIG improvement over the PS3 one! The analog sticks are waaaaayyyy more accurate (they're much tighter and with nearly no deadzone), the triggers are much more comfortable, the D-pad is basically like the Vita's but not clicky (it's a Nintendo style d-pad, despite the look, and much better than the PS3's), face buttons feel like the PS3's and everything is within easy reach. Didn't get the chance to try out anything that used the touch pad though...

Xbone controller: Not a fan. I think it's better than the 360's controller, but while it fixes a lot of the problems I had with the 360 controller (including the analog sticks, which are MUCH more accurate and no longer drift to the left on their own, the D-pad, which is basically EXACTLY like the GBAsp's D-pad now :D and the face buttons, which are now like the Classic Controller/CCPro's buttons but flatter - MUCH more comfortable than the 360's jewel buttons), it introduces some new ones. In particular, the bumper shoulder buttons felt very hard to reach - the ergonomics feel more similar to the original Xbox controller S than the 360 controller and it feels too bulbous for my liking. Also the analog sticks feel kinda small and knobbly, like a larger version of the Vita's analog sticks - as do the replacements for the start and select buttons (their placement feels a bit uncomfortable for me to reach).

Killer Instinct: CCCCCCCCCOMBO BREAKER!!! Could not figure out any of the moves for the life of me, but I had some good fun with this. It's fast, responsive and feels good to play. Looks great (if a bit blurry), sounds great and Sabrewulf is OP :D (Glacius can't run lol!)

Zoo Tycoon: A total POS, runs like a dog (seriously, it's like 15FPS at best. Only played it cause the line was tiny and I wanted a go with something that used the sticks ::shrug:

Resogun: PS4 game of show! Super fun! (and I didn't like Super Stardust at all!), looks amazing and plays great. Feels like Defender on crack and the forward dash move feels great to pull off :D

Knack: Crap. A poor man's God of War, totally boring and uninteresting gameplay (it's both a poor brawler with not much in the way of moves, while beating up enemies feels unsatisfying & weightless and a poor platformer, with floaty controls and dull level design). It's also not much of a looker and runs like a dog (sub 30FPS a good chunk of the time).

Driveclub: Looks great, plays nicely. I'm not big into these kinds of racing games, but I reckon that racing fans won't have much to complain about.

Tearaway: Lovely looking game, with some nice ideas involving tapping the back touch pad and the camera - but the core gameplay (walking around, grabbing & throwing enemies/objects etc) seems very simple and uninteresting. It feels like the kind of game that will get dull very quickly as soon as it runs out of neat gimmicks that involve the Vita's hardware features...

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita. 3DS version was not on show): Couldn't get past the first 5 minutes as I just got bored senseless of the cutscenes, the game-basically-plays-itself traversal and the combat sections that are basically just like the console games transferred into 2D. Didn't see anything that I didn't already see in previous demo videos, so I just gave up. Not impressed with anything they've shown so far (where's the exploration and platforming that you'd expect from ex Metroid Prime leads?!) and the demo did nothing to change my mind...

Octodad: Hilarious! It's basically 8 legged QWOP, but with the additional challenge of trying to not look suspicious by knocking into stuff (cause an octopus, dolled up in an outfit couldn't possibly be mistaken for a normal dad :indeed: ). Good fun, both to play AND to watch :laughing:

Eyes on impressions...

Kinect Sports Rivals: Seemed to have no problems keeping track of the guys playing the game. Very impressive, especially considering the big crowd of people in the queue waiting behind the guys playing!

Assassin's Creed 4: Looks like Asscreed, runs smooth, looks crisp and sharp.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer: When they said that it runs at 60FPS most of the time, they weren't kidding! Did notice some framerate drops when it got crowded, but it did indeed run at 60FPS most of the time.

Overall a good time. Managed to skip the bigger queues (glad I found the secret PS4 section near the Oculus Rift booth - which I'm gutted that I didn't get a chance to play :( ) and I'm pretty unimpressed with the PS4 and Xbone visuals in general. Their games just look like good looking PS3 and 360 games to me. GT6 and Puppetter were set up next to the PS4 booth and honestly, they look about as good as those next gen games really ::shrug:

Also, almost everyone's TVs were setup FUCKING HORRIBLY! UGH! Almost none of the displays were calibrated at all, with most of them having Sharpness WAY UP (ARGH MY EYES - you should NEVER have any artificial sharpness turned on with HD content on an LCD!) - The Nintendo booth in particular had some disgustingly poorly set up TVs (they probably had sharpness on max - utterly decimating the image quality - with games like The Wonderful 101 looking far worse than on my own TV at home :cry: ). Thankfully a couple of the PS4 displays were properly set up (for Resogun), looks lovely on a decently calibrated HDTV :D

Still, a good show overall :)

Skylanders and Need for Speed Rivals on PS4... jaw dropping visuals

That was running on PC (I saw them setting it up)

Edited by Dcubed