NEurope
Haden

Xpert 11 Season 28: The Underground World

Main thing with this update, though, is the implication of in-game changes that would use the new tactics screen - The way that you can choose where abouts in midfield a player will play suggests a move toward introducing wingers / player roles rather than the simple defence / midfield / attack of the moment. According to Roger Fed this has been hinted at in blog posts by the xpert staff.

Would people welcome that, or do you think it would be a bit too football-manager-y?

Kind of like the relative-simplicity of xpert. Then again i do like the idea of moving Rosebotham up the pitch, whilst Iwao Akera pulling the strings from the back of midfield in a Modric-esque role.

I like it in any case. Maybe it'll help me get my first win in 7 games or whatever. Shocking season...

You can't choose where your players are positioned. You'll see it resets if you go back to your tactics after saving. The admin team have said the position of your players makes absolutely no difference.

That's not to say they won't implement it in the future of course... or is that what you were getting at?

I do like the simplicity of xpert at the moment. My brother uses a site called Hattrick which has a much more involved system but I felt like it was too much for me to deal with as a newcomer who also has no interest in football. So I have no clue about centre midfielders, wingers or whatever. If Xpert were to introduce it I think I'd get on with it though because I already know this system quite well. I'm not opposed to it happening but if it never happened I wouldn't be disappointed.

I like it in any case. Maybe it'll help me get my first win in 7 games or whatever. Shocking season...

You're having what I like to call a 'Roger Federer Season'. You started as number 1, but you're old, and everyone is beating you, and now you're number 7! Ho ho!

The new tactics screen is a true delight. How I would love to tell my defenders to counter-punch on the base line, or my strikers to go for a cheeky, unexpected serve and volley!

Thanks,

Roger Federer

You can't choose where your players are positioned. You'll see it resets if you go back to your tactics after saving. The admin team have said the position of your players makes absolutely no difference.

That's not to say they won't implement it in the future of course... or is that what you were getting at?

I do like the simplicity of xpert at the moment. My brother uses a site called Hattrick which has a much more involved system but I felt like it was too much for me to deal with as a newcomer who also has no interest in football. So I have no clue about centre midfielders, wingers or whatever. If Xpert were to introduce it I think I'd get on with it though because I already know this system quite well. I'm not opposed to it happening but if it never happened I wouldn't be disappointed.

Yeah that was what I was getting at - I'm aware that right now it does nothing - but the ability to drag players into position suggests it mihgt be integrated in future (even if right now it can't be saved).

More or less agree with you. I think just adding vague player positions would add enough without overcomplicating - putting a good / fast midfielder on the right wing if your opponent is playing a poor left back, for example.

If they kept everything as is but just told everyone that player position had an affect, that would be fine too I think. So you'd still have a player described as a defender but you'd change his position based on his special qualities. They could add new ones to make it count more.

Main thing with this update, though, is the implication of in-game changes that would use the new tactics screen - The way that you can choose where abouts in midfield a player will play suggests a move toward introducing wingers / player roles rather than the simple defence / midfield / attack of the moment. According to Roger Fed this has been hinted at in blog posts by the xpert staff.

Would people welcome that, or do you think it would be a bit too football-manager-y?

Kind of like the relative-simplicity of xpert. Then again i do like the idea of moving Rosebotham up the pitch, whilst Iwao Akera pulling the strings from the back of midfield in a Modric-esque role.

I think you're right, I think moving to this system is a small step that will allow them to introduce more positions in the future. Gradual steps is the way forward so, for example, @The Peeps, who admitedly doesn't have a great interest in football will be able to learn it as he goes along rather than throwing everyone in the deep end.

I so hope this is the case I would love to play around with player positions, as I was putting out my side for my match against Baggies I was thinking if only I could make this guy a winger or him a support striker rather than out and out striker.

Still I enjoyed setting my tactics a lot it is actually very helpful just from a connivance point of view, still the green is a bit off putting.

It's just VIP.

I don't mind the green. I do mind the fact that the new tactics screen just plain does not work in Internet Explorer. I went on it at work to set my tactics and found i could not. None of the options were showing up and windows were transparent or not there at all.

Had to go into my phone to do it instead. Where is the option to change back?

That's not good. I decided I'd check on my tactics one more time, even though I knew I wouldn't change anything. To my surprise a midfielder was put as striker, and a defender on the midfield. Would never happened with the old layout. There they were all ordered my field, but with this, because reserves are on the right side and benched at the bottom, they are scattered all over the place. And having them ordered by age was nice too.

That's not good. I decided I'd check on my tactics one more time, even though I knew I wouldn't change anything. To my surprise a midfielder was put as striker, and a defender on the midfield. Would never happened with the old layout. There they were all ordered my field, but with this, because reserves are on the right side and benched at the bottom, they are scattered all over the place. And having them ordered by age was nice too.

Yeah I don't like how they are all scattered about the place. Hard to find people!

5 games left and its between Kippen (me), Atlético Aqui1a and Lylat Wanderers for the final relegation spot.

My final 5 games:

1) Lylat Wanderers (h) - win

2) Battlestar Odwinica (h) - draw

3) Atletico (a) - draw

4) Madpool (a) - win

5) Yellow Submarine (a) - lose

Total: 8 points

Atletico:

1) Silverdale (a) - lose

2) Lylat Wanderers (h) - win

3) Kippen (h) - draw

4) Yellow Sub (a) - lose

5) Eights Utd (a) - lose

Total: 4 points

Lylat Wanderers:

1) Kippen (a) - lose

2) Atletico (a) - lose

3) Yellow Sub (a) - lose

4) Eights (h) - lose

5) Intergalactico - lose

Total: 0 points

Final Table

6 - Atletico - 21

7 - Kippen - 21

8 - Lylat - 19

Lylat have a very hard season end and I think that could be my saving grace. My run in is probably the easiest as I only need to play 1 of the top 3.

Round 1 - Complete and as predicted!

Dammit Dragoo! Didn't you get the memo? You were supposed to win 3-0!

Oh not a good game today for us worse news was we lost our best goal scorer this is the 2nd time he has got a big injury and is going to put him out for 2 of our final 4 games. :weep:

Obviously our next game is huge and we need at least a draw from it to keep things in our hands. Going to be close!

10th win in a row:D

Conceded only 2 goals in that time too. Posting now because it's inevitable the winning run will come to an end; I also reckon the title challenge is going to continue into the last day of matches...

Done in by an own goal. What a waste!

And a 5 star manager of the round rating. No idea why, I played the same tactics as I normally do when I get a 2 star.

Form has hit a bit of a snag. Coupled with the fact I have no ability to win away games caused a humiliating loss today to Champions Federer. 12 points to go and 5 points clear - may be enough!

YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH, what a day! Federer back at number one! With just six ranking points from the next four tournaments, I will ensure my position as ATP Xpert World Number 1 for the end of the season! What a great match against the Elites. I have a lot of respect for that team.

Thanks,

Roger Federer

PS - I am so happy!

Thanks Again, Again,

Roger Federer

Round 8: Living on a thin line

Dragooooo 2-2 Hadens Rangers

Both teams were looking to win this one as Dragooooo set up with a 4-5-1 formation against a standard 4-4-2 for Rangers. Things started really well for the away side as Mulholland set up Mallett to smash one in off the post after just 2 minutes. However Dragooooo responded well and soon after Velho swung in a corner that Hottges poked home through a crowd. During the early stages of the match captain Wielink looked uncomfortable and was seen calling to be substituted after just a quarter of the match. Youth Farlan had to come on to replace the captain and Rangers took advantage of this as Walters headed in from a Doyle cross to make it 2-1. Rangers were dominating possession but the home side actually were just making more chances. The game wentback and forth until Strindlov curled in a ball that Forsyth got on the end of and diverted past a flailing Rangers goalie. Both teams wanted and needed 3 points and carried on attacking but the game finished in a 2-2 draw. It was an entertaining back and forth match where both sides played well.

RFC 4-0 Coloccini FC

Another RFC match another rout as RFC destroy a helpless Coloccini side, RFC picked 3-5-2 against Coloccini who tried to play a balanced team with 4-4-2. The first half the away side actually held out very well, they harried the ball players and limited to RFC to only 3 chances albeit with no chances of their own. However the breakthrough finally came when Fosatti smashed in a free kick to make it 1-0 after 59 minutes of resistance. After this opener RFC brought on some youths, Waugh and Lajes and they obviously wanted to make a name for themselves. Waugh scored twice in 3 minutes with a poachers effort and then a long range curler. Then Lajes got onto the end of a cross to head in the 4th, it was a great game for the two young players who really upped the tempo of this game, RFC created 7 chances in the 2nd half. Coloccini should be congratulated, they did well but ran out of steam while RFC have the youth to thank for their victory.

Rossers Rovers 1-4 Leeds M.O.T

Leeds looked very impressive against an an average looking Rovers side to pick up a good away win. Rovers fielded a 3-5-2 formation while Leeds went all out playing 3-4-3. 3-4-3 is a real risk away from home but from the get go Leeds seemed the more creative side. They made 5 chances in both halves although had to wait till the 44th minute for Pispek to head them into the lead. After the break Mancebo curled in a beautiful cross for Halden to nod in to make it 2-0. Both sides freshened their sides up with substitutions but Leeds were always looking the more dangerous side as Rovers defence simply could not cope. Halden turned provider to set up Howson to tap in a close range shot before substitute Olaberriaga smashed home a fantastic close range effort for the fourth. Mamonov curled in a late consolation goal but this was Leeds day and the away fans really enjoyed what was a fantastic display from their side.

DuDs Baggies 3-3 AC Elites

Baggies and the Elites had a fantastic match at Baggies stadium. DuD played 4-5-1 against an aggressive 3-5-2 from AC Elites. The game started off at a fast pace, a bit to hectic for Shearer who trying to clear an Elites cross hit the ball into the back of his own net. Baggies were back on level terms very quickly however as Dhall came up trumps with a fantastic curling free kick, 13 minutes after that Shearer made up for his mistake by delivering a fantastic cross for Dhall to head home with power for his 2nd. However mere moments later it was Madpoo's turn to change the nature of the game as he powered in a loose ball from a corner to make it all even again. Baggies were rocked by a big loss as veteran defender Unnarsson was stretchered off just before half time. The Elites could have taken advantage of this as the referee blew for a penalty at the start of the 2nd half. Baggies manager was furious with what seemed like a dive by Zell, the captain Bodin wanted to take it and smashed it into the corner only for Mulholland to get his fingertips to it in what was an incredible save! The Elites carried on pressing for another goal but in a rare Baggies attack Shearer was felled inside the box the referee did not hesitate to award another penalty. This time the Baggies captain Ryman stepped up, he chose to place it to the left and sent the goalie the wrong way, Baggies fans cheered as their side carried the lead once again! AC Elites would not give up hurried forward by their red faced manager, finally after a Brain corner Pratchett tapped in a sitter. The game finished at 3-3 and was a fantastic spectacle for the neutral both managers may have wanted all 3 points. On this form however they may get more chances to play each other in the top league next season!

Winston Gardens 4-2 Fedex United

This was another great performance from a former top league side, Winston have found it hard to adjust to the tempo of the middle league but did well in this game against Fedex. Winston played with a 4-4-2 set up as did Fedex. It was quite an open game and the goals came early as Thomas set up Goodison for a long range cracker to put the home side ahead. Not to be out done Patton lost his marker and smashed in his own long range curling effort to make it 1-1. Fedex just had the edge In this half but after the restart Winston scored two in quick succession, first Akera lost his marker and lobbed an out of position goalie then Thomas again set up a player for a long range effort, this time Ingham who had a clear shot on goal and made the most of it. However Fedex were not going down without a fight and Akerland fired in a wonderful direct free kick to make it 3-2. Both managers looked on nervously but it was the architect Thomas again who got the breakthrough as he let loose Ingham again who this time found himself one on one with United's goalie, he faked a shot and rounded him to then score in an open net. Winston fans were thrilled with this great attacking football and cheered their team when the final whistle blew.

Most Important Result: Rossers Rovers 1-4 Leeds M.O.T

Leeds scored the only away win this gameday and did it in style as they took all 3 points at the expense of a dissapointing Rovers side.

Stylish Team: Leeds M.O.T

Four goals and ten chances away from home! Amazing play today from Leeds really worked well as a team to beat a Rovers side that have looked a threat more often than not this season.

Player of the round: Bradley Thomas, Winston Gardens

Thomas did fantastically in this game living up to his identity as a playmaker, he created 3 for Winston and was always at hand when it seemed they had run out of ideas.

Results so far.

Important Results: Winston, Dragooooo, Dragoooo, Colocinni, Rangers, RFC, RFC, Leeds

Style: DuD, Winston, RFC, RFC, Rovers, DuD, Elites, Leeds

Player: Winston, Winston, Rovers, Colocinni, Colocinni, Rovers, Leeds, Winston

Winners from the three categories will be put in a draw at the end of the season to win a 3 month VIP!

Had to go into my phone to do it instead. Where is the option to change back?

You have to go to your profile (very top of the page) and click settings. On the right side of the page you should have a box to tick/untick regarding the tactics screen.

You have to go to your profile (very top of the page) and click settings. On the right side of the page you should have a box to tick/untick regarding the tactics screen.

Excellent, i'll probably do that since drag and drop doesn't work very well on a touchscreen phone.

Finally got to sell an older player. Netted 2.7 million for a 35 year old :D I did plan on keep and use him though. But he got unlucky with his form to a point where I saw it as impossible or too much effort to raise the form and dv, possible on the expense of other defenders, so he had to go a little before his time :( I think he joined the club as 20-6 youth, so 15 seasons ago, or my 3rd season, and played 184 matches.

Edited by Tales