NEurope
jayseven

Netflix vs. Lovefilm

I did a (half-arsed) search and didn't find a previous thread even though I feel like there has been one.

I'm considering getting one of these to stream stuff on my laptop and I'm aware that both offer different libraries. Initially, at least, I'm aiming for TV series more than movies so I'm presuming netflix is the right choice but I wanted to hear from people who actually use it (that I trust) to see what they would suggest.

I know that netflix have their own show(s) now, too, which would steer my decision a little but ultimately it'd be about which offers the largest library of new stuff.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

(US) Netflix. Lovefilm barely has anything on it, and is quick to remove stuff.

I just downloaded the free month of Netflix and currently have a LoveFilm membership. LF is shit. Slow, nothing on there and looks dated.

Netflix feels much smoother, there's a bit more content, and it's cheaper than my LF membership (but that's dependant on what you choose with LF).

So for TV and film I say Netflix is way forward. :)

We get Netflix, and pay £3 a month for a proxy to get the US version, which has 3x the content. It's mainly tv though. I've heard that Lovefilm is better for films though?

Go for Netflix.

If you want to access the USA catalogue which is top notch then use https://mediahint.com/ or http://hola.org/ on your laptop.

My subscription runs out in 2 hours. Going to resubscribe when the latest seasons of certain shows make their way online.

Thanks guys that's pretty much what I needed to hear. I was considering doing the month trial that both offer and seeing where that leaves me. If you have a uk netflix account then I guess you can't access US stuff? Gotta subscibe to the US site in order for it to be more beneficiial?

@Aneres11 perfect response :)

Nah a UK account can access US content as well. When you access the USA content from a UK account, Netflix thinks you're on holiday abroad in the States:hehe:

I've never before been tempted to sign up for either of these before, as the selection always seemed to be subpar. But I recently discovered Hola, a chrome/firefox plugin which allows you to pretend you are in different countries for free. So join Netflix, go on moreflicks.com to find what country has what you want to watch, switch to that country, and enjoy!

PS. I've found Canadian Netflix has the best selection.

I'd say even the UK version of Netflix is my preferred over LoveFilm. Though I do need to get around to getting the US version.

/lazy

The UK version of Netflix has got a lot better anyway since it launched. I mean we got the Hobbit added this week and the US version still doesnt have it.

Netflix is way better than lovefilm. Not just the library but the interface, easy to get around, seamless queueing of the next episode, remembering where you're up to etc.. And yeah there's free ways to access the US version on your laptop and some cheap ways to access it for other devices (pay for a VPN such as Unblock US and then just change your DNS settings, eg on PS3, Xbox, tablet or straight on the router). As Rowan said one account can access both and even remembers your history/favourites separately.

You get free trials with each (and cashback through quidco essentially making the second month free too) so I'd suggest just trying them both out. On Netflix you can cancel the upcoming payment online before the trial ends.

Lovefilm is horrible. The interface is terrible to navigate. One minute you're looking at films to stream and the next you're looking at a film only for rent.

Definitely Netflix and if possible a US subscription to it on top of the UK one.

What's all this about using VPN's and paying for Proxys to get the US Netflix?

All you need to do is change your DNS settings on your device and you're there.

I use 90.14.36.90 as Primary DNS and 109.123.111.24 as secondary DNS

And I get the US Netflix without needing to do anything else.

Then switch back to your ISP's DNS servers (or return settings to auto obtain) to switch back to the UK/Ireland Netflix (Which I will do later to watch The Hobbit :wink:)

I can't comment on Lovefilm as we don't get that here in Ireland.

One thing I do find annoying bout Netflix though is there isn't an alphabetical ordered list of all films available (unless I've missed it somewhere?).

When you first get it films are ordered nicely by genres, but then when you start watching stuff the number and choices of genres change based on what you've watched and you get other lists of "Reccomended because you watched [Enter Film Name]" there's still a few "Genre" based lists but you end up getting films doubled up that are also in the "reccomended for you" lists and the films in the Genre lists seem to change (and some films seem to vanish but can still be found if you searc).... does nobody else find this a slight annoying?

What's all this about using VPN's and paying for Proxys to get the US Netflix?

All you need to do is change your DNS settings on your device and you're there.

I use 90.14.36.90 as Primary DNS and 109.123.111.24 as secondary DNS

And I get the US Netflix without needing to do anything else.

Then switch back to your ISP's DNS servers (or return settings to auto obtain) to switch back to the UK/Ireland Netflix (Which I will do later to watch The Hobbit :wink:)

I can't comment on Lovefilm as we don't get that here in Ireland.

One thing I do find annoying bout Netflix though is there isn't an alphabetical ordered list of all films available (unless I've missed it somewhere?).

When you first get it films are ordered nicely by genres, but then when you start watching stuff the number and choices of genres change based on what you've watched and you get other lists of "Reccomended because you watched [Enter Film Name]" there's still a few "Genre" based lists but you end up getting films doubled up that are also in the "reccomended for you" lists and the films in the Genre lists seem to change (and some films seem to vanish but can still be found if you searc).... does nobody else find this a slight annoying?

Just about to go try this, as much as I don't mind paying unblock us, there's no point if this works.

edit: Just tried this and it looks like its worked. Thank you very much @Mokong X\-C :D. Its nice to have my own paid account but more content without really doing anything!

Edited by nightwolf

Just about to go try this, as much as I don't mind paying unblock us, there's no point if this works.

edit: Just tried this and it looks like its worked. Thank you very much @Mokong X\-C :D. Its nice to have my own paid account but more content without really doing anything!

NO probs... I'm surprised it wasn't more common knowledge? I'm sure other DNS servers work, you just have to find one that is based in the US, I found those two by googling :heh:

I'm sure it would work for other regions so long as you knew the IP address of a DNS server in that area.

Also FYI, if you use Netflix on multiple devices (or maybe different people in the house sharing your Netflix account on their devices) and you wanted all to be on the US Netflix you could just change the DNS settings in the home router and have all the devices set to auto-obtain the info (which would be the default setting on all smartphones/tablets anyway) rather than setting the DNS settings on each device.

I just use my Wii U though for watching Netflix as it is perfect. Can watch on the TV or if I want to watch in bed just bring the Gamepad and watch on that as it'll have a bigger screen than my phone and makes it easier for the wife to watch too :D

Netflix all the way! And yeah, the US version is miles better but the UK one is also pretty good now and has a fair few really good exclusives that the US one doesn't.

I have US on my Wii U and UK on my Wii, so the best of both worlds! And I don't know what LoveFilm is like on the laptop but I tried it once on Wii U and my gosh, the app is so horrible and the image quality is a joke.

NO probs... I'm surprised it wasn't more common knowledge? I'm sure other DNS servers work, you just have to find one that is based in the US, I found those two by googling :heh:

I'm sure it would work for other regions so long as you knew the IP address of a DNS server in that area.

Also FYI, if you use Netflix on multiple devices (or maybe different people in the house sharing your Netflix account on their devices) and you wanted all to be on the US Netflix you could just change the DNS settings in the home router and have all the devices set to auto-obtain the info (which would be the default setting on all smartphones/tablets anyway) rather than setting the DNS settings on each device.

Honestly, I knew about changing DNS, but was way too lazy to figure out which ones, it is common knowledge in that sense.

It works a little slower and sometimes the movies don't connect so you have to try a couple of times, but considering its the US, it doesn't bother me at all. I was able to find the Sherlock series, Supernatural, Lorax film and even Walking dead, colour me happy! :grin:

I'm more than happy to pay Unblock-Us for their DNS services. Probably more for the convenience/support than anything. We started using them a few weeks after Netflix launched and can't really remember a time when the service wasn't working.

Do you ever get any downtime with the free DNS? Are there speed issues and is it necessary to change them very often? If it works smoothly, I can't argue with someone going for that over a paid service.

[edit - new intelligence has been received. . .]

I just checked the Unblock-Us website again and apparently you can now switch the service to lots of other regions outside US/UK. Can't wait to get bang on those classy Spanish soap operas!

Edited by Guy

It doesn't seem massively slower, but considering my ps3 isn't the best for its wireless anyway, I don't really mind. Sometimes programs won't connect so I have to go out and back in to kick them a little. But otherwise the service streams perfectly and I love being able to watch stuff.

Not sure if the DNS will need changing, but if it does and I cannot find another, I'll use unblock. I'm surprised Netflix haven't stopped that actually?

I assume their mentality is "well they're paying us anyway". It's just a way around the whole international rights thing. Unless companies get on their back about it, I get the feeling Netflix is happy to turn a blind eye.

I think it's a mutually beneficial thing that nets them more subscribers. I've only remained a subscriber for this long due to the infinitely superior US library.

Ah I suppose this is true. I forget about the potential subscribers. It does seem like a good service, so if this dns conks out, I'll take another peek :).

The important thing is you're accessing the superior US library! So many shows.

Do you ever get any downtime with the free DNS? Are there speed issues and is it necessary to change them very often? If it works smoothly, I can't argue with someone going for that over a paid service.

I've never actually thought of this for a few reasons.

A: I've never experienced any downtime while using these DNS settings, either on Netflix or online gaming/features on my WiiU

B: This is only my 2nd time using these settings as I only just got Netflix back...ie: When Netflix first launched I used the Free Month then cancelled, and few weeks back they offered me another Free Month so signed up again... not sure yet if I'll cancel or not at end of this month.

But yeah I've not expereinced any speed issues either

I just checked the Unblock-Us website again and apparently you can now switch the service to lots of other regions outside US/UK. Can't wait to get bang on those classy Spanish soap operas!

That's actually pretty good so if you can easily switch regions without having to mess with device settings to get more than use US or UK stuff.... you'd be browsing for ages potentially though, haha... well I would. I have too look through everything sometimes before I decide what to watch.

BUMP

Just a note for anyone using the DNS settings to get US Netflix.

Last few days I've been having trouble with US Netflix, sometimes it would work other times it would just hang on the loading screen (on Wii U).

Been searching for other DNS addresses to try and found these that have just tested and seem to be working fine