NEurope
Dannyboy-the-Dane

Tech newb looking for new laptop

So the laptop I've had for nearly three years has started acting up. I can still use it, but it's being a bit of a pain, and considering I was already considering getting a new one, I'm leaning more and more towards that option.

The thing is I know very little of computers in general, so I've come here to ask the opinions of those more knowledgeable than myself (that's you guys).

I've lately got more into computer gaming, and so I'd like a laptop that's suited for that. I know laptops aren't the best choice for computer gaming in general, and it doesn't have to be a super gaming computer or anything like that; heck, the one I currently have (a HP G62 Notebook PC) is actually fairly decent for gaming. I don't see myself getting a stationary since I drag my laptop around with me almost everywhere and use it for all my computer needs; I had both a laptop and a stationary once, but it bothered me that I didn't have everything on one computer.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? General advice? Remarks about my wishes being totally unreasonable? :heh: All is welcome. :)

MSI make great laptops

Stick away from Alienware, since Dell bought them they've become overpriced and underpowered, so as to make Dells own performance line (xps) look better

Decide how powerful you want a graphics card and if buying a laptop base you options on those ranges.

Ask questions! email companies, ask in stores etc, websites can and WILL be wrong!

i bought a beautiful MSI GT60 from Ebuyer but it was listed as having a 4gb DDR5 GT675 MX graphics card, which is certainly an optional card the GT60 can have, and i purchased this as it fell into my price range that i was looking at (looking for a 2GB DDR5 carded Laptop) however when it arrived it was a 2GB DDR5 version! It was the card i originally wanted, but i purchased this particular model from Ebuyer because it was priced up for a 2GB and came with a 4, if i'd known it was only a 2gb i "may" have spent more time looking and got an Acer as they had similar spec models

To this day they still have the listings wrong on its decription, the same for the 17" version too, only thats even more wrong.

Take your time with deciding

How is your current acting up? Could it just be that a refresh of your Windows installation would make everything feel like new again, or is hardware failing? The easiest thing to upgrade on a laptop tends to be the RAM. You could give that a try too.

MSI make great laptops

Stick away from Alienware, since Dell bought them they've become overpriced and underpowered, so as to make Dells own performance line (xps) look better

Decide how powerful you want a graphics card and if buying a laptop base you options on those ranges.

Ask questions! email companies, ask in stores etc, websites can and WILL be wrong!

i bought a beautiful MSI GT60 from Ebuyer but it was listed as having a 4gb DDR5 GT675 MX graphics card, which is certainly an optional card the GT60 can have, and i purchased this as it fell into my price range that i was looking at (looking for a 2GB DDR5 carded Laptop) however when it arrived it was a 2GB DDR5 version! It was the card i originally wanted, but i purchased this particular model from Ebuyer because it was priced up for a 2GB and came with a 4, if i'd known it was only a 2gb i "may" have spent more time looking and got an Acer as they had similar spec models

To this day they still have the listings wrong on its decription, the same for the 17" version too, only thats even more wrong.

Take your time with deciding

Cheers! :) The problem is I don't know much about hardware to begin with, so making decisions in that area isn't easy. :heh: I think I'll go check out some computer stores and hear out what they have to say.

How is your current acting up? Could it just be that a refresh of your Windows installation would make everything feel like new again, or is hardware failing? The easiest thing to upgrade on a laptop tends to be the RAM. You could give that a try too.

Some weird issues I've mentioned on Facebook like the keyboard activating certain actions on certain key presses and the laptop having trouble booting up while making loud beeping noises. I've talked to a couple of more techy people that myself without becoming much wiser as to the cause. I could probably find out the problem and get it fixed, but, like I said, since I was already contemplating getting a new laptop, it seems like the more obvious solution.