NEurope
Cube

Your Last Game

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Wii U VC

Seems I forgot a lot about the game, which is odd considering it wasn't that long ago since I played it last. On the other hand I discovered a lot a new things which was nice. Play time was just under 8 hours.

Pikmin 3 - Wii U

3 games in and I still feel guilty about letting them die. :cry:

2 games in one weekend. Pretty good for me. ;) Thinking about starting Earthbound but would want to finish it before Christmas, but I'm not sure I will.

Bayonetta (PS3)

Awesome game. icon14.gif

It didn't blow me away quite as much as The Wonderful 101 ended up doing, but I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel even more now! :smile:

Just gonna list all of these off that I had finished before the end of 2013 occurred as I have't been on here since 20th Dec or something like that.

I started and finished:

Smurfs 2 ( 360 )

TMNT ( 360 )

WWE 2K14 ( 360 )

Ryse ( XBOne )

Dead Rising 3 ( XBOne )

Fifa 14 ( XBOne )

Halo: Spartan Assault ( XBOne )

Hell of a list to finish the year off. We need a 2014 topic now. :D

Mario 64

Really enjoyed the first few worlds but some of the later ones - i can't deal. Especially Hazy Maze Cave. :nono: It's just not Mario-like. Also some of the later worlds were too wide open for me, i like linear. That's just my taste.

The camera is good for a 3D game. The occasional camera fail, but compared to most 3D games it's good.

Controls were very good and intuitive, can't fault them.

Music was only okay, with the odd stand out such as the Bowser theme.

But yeah, could only make it to 55 stars without getting totally fed up. Back in the day i got all 120 stars and Yoshi. I've changed. :awesome:

Ai8kG_gL-mc4GIF8nkDbmYm4EkF8UL7-.png

Another 20 hours done with a nice Picross game, but didn't enjoy the Mega Picross puzzles as much as other variations in the game, and that very last Mega Picross puzzle was a complete bastard.

Mario 64

Really enjoyed the first few worlds but some of the later ones - i can't deal. Especially Hazy Maze Cave. :nono: It's just not Mario-like. Also some of the later worlds were too wide open for me, i like linear. That's just my taste.

The camera is good for a 3D game. The occasional camera fail, but compared to most 3D games it's good.

But yeah, could only make it to 55 stars without getting totally fed up. Back in the day i got all 120 stars and Yoshi. I've changed. :awesome:

Mario 64 does start to lag bit in the middle I think doesn't it with the likes of Hazy Maze Cave, Snowman's Land, Wet Dry World... but if you were to plough through those, Tall Tall Mountain, Tiny-Huge Island, Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Road would await! :)

Singularity

Posted about this somewhere a while back and finished it then so only now getting round to final thoughts on it. Anyway, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was a little rough around the edges and they could have done with a bit more of the TMD and ideas on that front and less on the shooting, which was run of the mill, but definitely interesting enough. I did like the little ending thing which tied things up with the book you see in the game. An unpolished gem is how I'd put it, placing it perhaps alongside some other games I played in 2013 like say Spec Ops: The Line and Remember Me.

Borderlands 2

Finally got around to playing this a few weeks back and have put quite a lot of time into it. Haven't finished the story but that's more because it's feeling like a bit of a slog now. So disappointed because I was really looking forward to it as the 1st one kept me going long enough to play through multiple times, to different degrees, with the different character classes. Picked Maya as I played as Lilith in the 1st game but the Phaselock move just isn't as good to use as Lilith's Phasewalk. Maybe it's because of the character class I pick but it has all felt rather bleh throughout what I've played and I'm so not feeling it enough to even try a different character. So think this'll be returned to the shelf as I just don't feel the drive the finish this at all.

Mario 64 does start to lag bit in the middle I think doesn't it with the likes of Hazy Maze Cave, Snowman's Land, Wet Dry World... but if you were to plough through those, Tall Tall Mountain, Tiny-Huge Island, Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Road would await! :)

Ah man, I hated Hazy Maze Cave and the Desert Level back in the day but looking back at it, Hazy Maze Cave is classic. I find it holds up well simply because you can literally get any star you want from the get go. I loved Tall Tall mountain too :D

True. It's a shame they lumped all the bad worlds together like that cos it makes you think the game has gone rubbish.

Mario 64

Ah man, I hated Hazy Maze Cave and the Desert Level back in the day but looking back at it, Hazy Maze Cave is classic. I find it holds up well simply because you can literally get any star you want from the get go. I loved Tall Tall mountain too :D

Dafuk, Dafuk! All madness, utter madness! I did start replaying recently via SM64DS, and they're all classics!

Of course, it's always a matter of opinion, but Hazy Maze Cave with its funky underground soundtrack and interestingly different layout(and stars and different areas) is awesome - it's like a little underground mine!

Shifting sand land - more good tunage! Sand whirlwinds, the pyramid, pokeys! Ok I can kinda see why you might dislike this one when I put it like that, but I loved it. I loved them all, dammit!

Wet Dry World! The Water level! What a mechanic! Some really challenging stars there, too.

Here's my rating of the worlds(from memories, slight bias towards earlier worlds maybe and completely subject to change at a later date :p):

4. Cool cool mountain

5. Big Boo's Haunt

12. Tiny Huge Island

1. Bob-omb battlefield

7. Lethal Lava Land

10. Wet Dry World

8. Shifting Sand Land

6. Hazy Maze Cave

13. Tall Tall Mountain

14. Tick Tock Clock - lower mostly because some of it was bastard hard!

2. Whomp's Fortress

3. Jolly Roger Bay

11. Snowman's Land

15. Rainbow Road - found it slow at times due to the rainbow carpet rides.

9. Dire Dire Docks(dire indeed)

Edited by Rummy

I don't know dude. I just took an instant dislike to Hazy Maze Cave. I didn't know where the hell i was supposed to go and it was dingy and NOT Mario-like! I couldn't even bring myself to get the the first star i was just thinking "i ain't got time for this shit" right from the start.

Whomp's Fortress and Bob-omb Battlefield are perfect Mario worlds. Tall Tall Mountain was good too, but a very awkward second star stunted my progress there!

Yeah, I remember struggling/disliking Tall Tall mountain when I originally played, but I guess it kinda grew on me with time. I can see your sentiments on Hazy Maze Cave, that's another that grew on me later(probs when I 120*'d it first time) but one beautiful thing about the game is how easily you can just not bother if something sucks too much for you - or you can potentially try and get that other star that you can see, even though that's not technically your current objective! Such a brilliant game - possibly a HD remake I'd get on board with(possibly).

I really love Tall Tall Mountain :) I remember accidentally doing a long jump off of the log near the top and somehow I fluked getting a star (the one you need to get in the canon for) :D

Rain-1.jpg

Decent, though probably not quite as good as I was hoping for.

Took me about three or so hours to complete in one sitting, it's pretty straightforward.

Controls were a little bit clunky, but I expected this, and one of the puzzles wasn't very clear, but for the most part I enjoyed it.

There's a really nice use of music, and the game really is beautiful at times, I wanted to take screen grabs!

Fixed camera's create some very picturesque scenes and there is a river in this game that has some of the best water I have ever seen in a game. The art design of Chapter 7 is stunning!! Running and exploring my way through that level was the high-point of the game. Chapter 4 was also really charming :)

Glad I played it just to see the art design really and once completed it gives you a reason to play through again by adding collectibles.

Syndicate

Urgh... I obviously went in knowing this wouldn't be anything like the original but even taking it as it is, I thought it'd play a damn sight better than it does. Feels rather clunky with all the ideas it's trying to throw out there, like the breaching, suicide, darteye/whatever stuff. Interesting ideas, mind, but just feels decidedly "meh" because the shooting mechanics are crap. Also, the bloom lighting is ridiculous and as much as I try to overlook it, it's so in your face that it's really bugging me.

I've been picking up games I've missed on the cheap hoping that they'll be somewhat decent and while I've had a few that are great, this definitely isn't and not something I see myself going back to.

VVVVVV

index_n55_zpsb9ebbd70.png

Only played this now. Neat game, easy to play and accessible, yet challenging at several parts, just like all puzzle/platformers should be. It's a bit like a really, really good flash game.

Great, catchy music, as well.

Edited by Jonnas

NES Remix (Wii U)

Had a great laugh with this game. Beating it doesn't take too long, but it's all about going back and replaying stages for the rainbow stars/high score! Which is insanely addictive. Have spent almost 30 hours playing it now, quality download game. icon14.gif

Here's hoping we get more Remix titles in the future.

Resident Evil 5 (PS3)

Spotted this for £3, so decided to give it a go. Not as bad as I was expecting it to be, but yeah... clearly not a patch on previous games in the series. I do like Sheva though ;) *cough* :laughing:

Anyway, that's me up to date with Resi again I think, well apart from RE:Giraffe Blowjob :heh: but I'm more than happy to wait for that to drop to bargain bucket price too.

Little Big Planet (PS3)

Another super cheap PS3 purchase, it's actually great being a generation behind. :hehe:

I'd played this quite a bit before owning a PS3, mainly messing with the editor. I love the concept and look of the game, but it's really let down by its controls. The super floaty platforming mechanics are a nightmare, especially on the later stages of story mode! :shakehead

I'm sure I'll spend some more time creating/checking out custom levels though, and the online aspect still appears to be pretty active which is cool. :)

Working on my backlog of games, which bought me to New Super Mario Bros 2. Had it sitting in my cupboard for months, so put it back into my 3DS and cracked on. Finished the main quest, unlocked the 2 secret worlds and various secret exits (via some online help). Saving up Star coins to get the 3rd secret world opened (got it there, just can't play the levels until i've got 90 coins, on 67 at present). Not too bad of a game overall.

I started Links Crossbow Training on Monday night at around 9 and an hour later, yes 1 hour later I had completed it. I replayed it a few times to try and get Platinum medals. It's an enjoyable game but it could have been so much more.

Blowing up pots, crates, pumpkins, armour, etc. was fairly pointless. If, however, it had been more like the Resident Evil Chronicles games with unlocking artwork, more weapons, music samples, files and information on previous Zelda games it would have been more rewarding. I would have been annoyed with the length and depth of this game, calling it a demo is even a stretch but luckily I only paid the princely sum of €1.50. So I can't complain too much.

A fleshed out sequel for Wii U with online multiplayer and leaderboards would be very welcome. I think using the gamepads gyro to aim would be a good feature too like NintendoLand.

GONE HOME

Hmmm. I really enjoyed playing the game, a great way of narrative storytelling in a video game design and it all build up very well; it created tension and atmosphere superbly and was genuinely unsettling in places and built it self up superbly for the climax.

As for the climx... I'm still not sure

The game obviously builds itself up to the daughter killing herself or some sort of dark/ghostly goings on, and it built itself up so much you thought it probably wasn't actually going to go there. And it didn't, on the one hand I respect it didn't go the hollywood route and have a really dark dramatic finale. But at the same time it did feel extremely unfulfilling, I did sort of want to find her sister dead in the attic... I feel the sisters story was ultimately too angst and cliche riddled to be satisfying enough in of itself

box.png

Wow, that's all I can truly say. The whole story had me gripped from beginning to end. The overworld is sometimes sparsely populated, but the stealth and gun-play make up for any tiny misgivings that I had. You can pick this up for about a tenner for the Wii U, if you haven't, do it. It really shows you how the Gamepad works (for all the doubters), just like Zombi U and Batman: Arkham City, the Gamepad is an extension of your on-screen character. Wiithout the Gamepad, this game must be far less of a perfect product.

And last night I finished, this me beauty;

A-Link-Between-Worlds-Box-Art.jpg

All in all, a masterpiece. The fluidity of the controls, and the flawless integration of the painting puzzles, stand above everything else that is exceptional in this. But, and this is a big but, it is far too easy. I romped through it in 24 hours, without dying once. It also makes the game easier by providing too many rupees. They are flowing from everywhere, and as I stated elsewhere, I had outright bought every weapon early on in the game.

I'm restarting Zelda tonight (played an hour at launch), really can't wait!! I have Deus Ex to play through too, but I'm thinking of binning off console games while I'm in paris to wait for a bigger tele experience. How much would a big tele and sound system improve this game?!

I have Deus Ex to play through too, but I'm thinking of binning off console games while I'm in paris to wait for a bigger tele experience. How much would a big tele and sound system improve this game?!
Yeah it'd be best to play it on a nice tv really.

Playing Tiger Woods 12: The Masters on Wii because there's no equivalent on Wii U. Thank you Nintendo and thank you EA. So in 2014 I'm playing a PS2 graphical game with great motion plus controls. The online servers are still functioning though there's only ever less than 20 people on at any one time. I think I preferred the 2010 version more, not sure.

Might play Another Code: R at the weekend. I hear it's great. Thank God for this backlog.

Everybody's Golf (PS3)

Amazing game. icon14.gif So much content too for a downloadable title (or was this also a retail game?... Not sure ::shrug:). But yeah, a really enjoyable golf game, one of the best I've ever played. I'm not very good at it though (as @Cookyman will attest to :heh:), in fact I actually had to use "Easy Mode" to beat the last few challenges on silver and gold level. :blush:

Tokyo Jungle (PS3)

Would've beaten this game a long time ago, but I hit a brick wall in the form of a stealth mission late on in the story mode. I hate stealth gameplay with a passion! :shakehead Anyway, I finally managed to pass that annoying stage last night, and the remaining action stages were no trouble at all, so that's the story mode complete. :cool:

I tell you what, if a sequel to this game appears on PS4 I'll be seriously tempted to pick one up.

And that's my current PS3 backlog complete. Time to pick up some more cheap as chips games to play during the drought until DKTF is released on Wii U. :D